Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Our As-Tested Price Just Shy of $80K - 2015 Lexus RC F Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2015 in Lexus
imageOur As-Tested Price Just Shy of $80K - 2015 Lexus RC F Long-Term Road Test

When our 2015 Lexus RC F was loaned to us, not all of its options had been priced. Ours is a pre-production car, but now we know how much a similar production vehicle costs.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    That's a whole lotta coin for an identity crisis. Is it a Grand Tourer? Is it a track car? Is it a luxury coupe? It appears as though it's trying too hard to be too many things.
  • Options
    defyant15defyant15 Member Posts: 74
    edited May 2015
    Seems so far that the Mustang GT you all have is a much better handling car, has more torque Vs the RC-F which you all mentioned doesnt feel as fast as it should be, and finally has an interior which is competitive and excellent, although not as fancy (example, the GT has lovely seats but not as ornate as the Lexus). The GT, while only weighing 200 pounds less just feels more nimble and has more feedback and driver involvement. GT has more heritage, Lexus has more brand cache. Both are reliable cars. GT has a much better aftermarket and enthusiast community. I think it looks infinitely better.

If you want a fun fast car thats a mix of touring and sport - I'm struggling to see the insane premium the Lexus demands over the Mustang GT. I get it - people interested in brand wont cross shop this car against the GT, but I just dont get the reason to buy this car of the GT.

Can you guys do a detailed comparison/will Toyota permit it?
  • Options
    agent0090agent0090 Member Posts: 26
    I second defyant15's motion.
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    I 3rd. This car just doesn't make a whole lot of sense even without comparing to the Mustang. So many alternatives, new and used, for $78k.
  • Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Edmunds. You should poll the avg person on the street and ask them how much they think the thing costs. I'm guessing most people would say under $40K.
    The BMW 235 vert looks more money than this, inside and out.
  • Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    I think the Lexus looks pretty nice. I don't know why people think it doesn't justify a high price.
  • Options
    quantumfluxrquantumfluxr Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2016
    It's slower, less exciting, less engaging and uglier than the equivalent AMG, RS or M. It is also... Shockingly... JUST AS EXPENSIVE.

This is why Toyota will, once again, sell none of these. Or sorry, rather they'll "sell every one they make!" They just wont *make any*.

These Lexus F cars are pure fan service. While it may be true that an $80k buyer wouldn't cross shop a Mustang, they sure as *hell* wouldn't buy this thing in a world where the Cayman S, Boxster S, C63 AMG, RS5 or M4 exist. You'd have to be insane.

In 08 I bought a new M3 and passed over the IS-F. In '14 I looked at this thing and passed it over in favor of an RS5. The RS5 is now going in favor of the last of the NA Boxster S. And incidentally I did drive a Mustang GT Premium and thought it was phenomenal, but it doesn't hold up as a *total package* after the BMW/Porsche/Audi/Mercedes overall experience. It just doesn't. It *is* a literally unbelievable deal, so despite that it *was* tempting.

Toyota, on the other hand, brings literally *nothing* to the table other than "not German" and "not American" (which, for about 100 people a year I guess, is what they're looking for).