Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sportage 2005 and newer

jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
Anybody know anything about the next Kia Sportage? Features? Vehicle platform?

Comments

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,663
    for more information on the next-generation Kia Sportage that is being designed and tested now by Kia Motors in Korea. You will get a good idea there what's going on with it. It is based on the Elantra platform and will be front-wheel drive or even all-wheel drive. It's under development still so the driveline issues could still be tweaked as design continues. It will not be available in 4-wheel drive and it may or may not be available with manual transmission.

carspy01 "'05 Kia Sportage" Mar 13, 2003 3:44pm

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• boredbored Posts: 300
    I was hoping for a REAL truck...

Maybe this isn't the Sportage...

Brenda Priddy hasn't always been correct with her spy photos and stories... also, does anyone really CARE?
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Are you sure that the next Sportage will not have 4WD? I can understand the switch to a car based platform, but no 4WD! Without 4WD, you will have lost the single reason people buy SUVs over minivans and wagons. Also, the automatic should be tiptronic, like the Hyundai Santa Fe.
  • carspy01carspy01 Posts: 137
    Thanks, iluv, for sending me the private e-mail to get back on board! I'm just too busy right now to follow everything here, but let me review what I said last year:
    1) Hyundai was/is working on the next-gen Elantra-platform, which will be laid out as front wheel 2WD and the permanent AWD-version.
    2) This next-gen Elantra will underpin the next-gen Kia Spectra, as well.
    3) The "revolution" inside Kia took place by switching the frame-based "old" Sportage to this new platform, i.e. the next Sportage will be car-based as the Honda CRV and Toyota RAV4.
    4) There are two rumors out there for Hyundai:
    a) a Hyundai version of the vehicle as sub-Santa Fe as the Santa Fe will increase in size for the next generation
    b) a Hyundai tall wagon-type vehicle will 2WD and AWD. I did not see anything of either yet.
    5) Brenda Priddy's shot of the Sportage is REAL.
    6) The Sorento "Sport" (2 door) and pick-up version are still in the planning.
    Keep on rocking!!!
    I like the Sorento Sport idea. Then we could tell the Explorer Sport to get better or to get lost!
  • libertycatlibertycat Posts: 593
    I like the Explorer Sport
    A Sorento Sport would at least provide some competition for the Explorer Sport. At least improve and upgrade to the 2002 Explorer platform.
  • "Kia blames the year-long gap between generations on an inability to coordinate the new model with the phase-out of the existing vehicle."

http://waw.wardsauto.com/ar/auto_sportage_makeover_carbased/
  • anidesanides Posts: 3
    From Kia's Consumer Affairs Department...

Q.
    Will there be an updated 2004 Sportage?

A.
    Our current plan is to introduce a replacement for the Sportage vehicle in the 05 model year, with sales likely to begin in the fall of 2004. We have not confirmed that the name of the vehicle will be Sportage as of this time.
  • boredbored Posts: 300
    Well, that sucks. What better name than Sportage?

But you have to admit... the Sportage had a rep as a tough, off-road vehicle, that could also handle the city very well. The replacement is on the new Elantra platform. Rename it, please.
    Sportage2
    Sorento Sport
    Imana (I don't know what that means; just sounded nice next to KIA.) (Kia Imana)
    How about............
    Santa Fe
    me that Kia will NOT go to a car-based unitized body like Elantra with it's new 2005 Sportage. They'll stay with the body-on-frame truck-like arrangement they've used from the start(with Ford Motor Co.'s assistance). carspy01-ya out there still?

I'm still around but in the background... I only drop by from time to time to read some of the postings, and I just scratch my head and wonder... a bunch of new names on the boards... you can still e-mail me - however, I'm honest, I have waaaay to little time to be in the discussion groups every day....

Well, do NOT buy your next car from this Kia salesman!
    The 2005 Kia Sportage should be introduced to the US/Canadian public - hopefully - in Detroit beginning of 2004. It should be on sale shortly after, i.e. spring 2004. It will be car based, i.e. of the "JM"-platform, which is - in other words - and upgraded Elantra-architecture with AWD-option.
    comes up from time to time but I knew that it's going to be on a car-based unitized frame of Hyundai's Elantra. Just a short pop quiz for ya...I figured you were still cyber-strolling now and then. carspy01...there's a car maker in South Korea called Proto Motors making a great looking sports car in limited production called Spirra. It is VERY shagadelic. Know anything about this upstart company that has/is assisted/assisting Daewoo-Kia-Hyundai? Don't bother responding if you're busy, man...I'm just curious.

Just real quick following link:

http://www.protomotors.com/index_eng.html

Fiddle around there a little, and follow the link "About Proto Motors", which should explain a little bit.
    I just wanted to see if you knew anything different than what's on their website. If they could make a car like that for $30,000(which I heard from one poster on Edmunds.com)it would be amazing. RWD, mid-ship engine, great power specs, great looks and very light body. Not a BRAND NEW car company, either, though fairly fresh. Interesting read if anybody's interested in them.
    Check out the link in the above post to head there.

Kia promised the Sportage for 04. then again, GM promised Fuel Cells for 1975.
    with Hyundai. These can get muddled as the information is popped around to and fro don't'cha know! hjr2 intially reported that Proto is working with Hyundai on developing a new sports car(Proto working on the body of the car)and the price being around $30,000. Until I learn more(the feelers are out for information!)I'm not gonna comment anymore on that subject...especially in this thread. OBTW-Proto Motors of Korea is still making their own car called Spirra-they've released quite a bit of information on their website about it but as far as exporting it here we're as clueless as....as..umm...as those who think that Chevy will not offer a Cobalt blue color on thier new Chevy Cobalt Civic-Corolla fighter due out in the next few years. Now back to our regularly scheduled show...Kia's new Sportage due in the fall of 2004 as a 2005 model that WILL be plopped on an Elantra base.

That is not quite correct. "Kia" (Who there? Which Kia? Iluv's Kia-car-salesman???) did in fact never make an announcement like that. Customers might see a first glimpse of the new "Sportage" (name is not even confirmed) next month in Frankfurt. The vehicle should be introduced begin of next year in Korea, which is, if I am not completely wrong, 2004.