Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sportage 2005 and newer

Comments

• ericf1ericf1 Posts: 54
    How does the Sportage go up against the 2006 Forester (new model)? They are about the same price, w/equivalent features.

I acutally like the Forester because it gets better gas milage and is not as big as a standard SUV.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    For one thing, the Sportage has a lot more rear-seat room and cargo space. Also, I don't think ESC and side curtains are standard on the Forester--or even available? The Forester has the benefit of Subaru's long experience with AWD and a very good reliability history--the Sportage is unproven there.
  • artgpoartgpo Posts: 483
    Our son and daughter-in-law had a new 1999 Forrester that was an absolute lemon. It soured all of us on Subaru. I realize that lemons can happen in any brand name but in this family the Japanese cars have had more problems than any others.

The Sportage is fine through almost 500 miles. When it has 10,000 the report card might change.
  • janeteditjanetedit Posts: 38
    Well, I've been on the phone and e-mailed Kia Canada again about the recall. To their credit, they do get back to me within 24-48 hours, so I'm not left wondering if they'll respond or not.

Trouble is, they keep saying the same thing:

"We cannot confirm if a recall will be applied to your vehicle until a recall has been officially released within Canada. Recalls are vehicle specific. If a recall is released on your 2005 Kia Sportage, you will receive written notification via mail."

So I told the person that Transport Canada told me the Consumer Affairs department in any car manufacturer is always the last to hear, so no wonder she hasn't heard anything. Earlier this month I had to direct her to the US recall information on the NHTSA site, and forwarded her an e-mail from Transport Canada indicating that Kia Canada had been in touch with THEM, saying that yes, there was a Canadian recall.

She just said she had not received any information on that.

Yeah, no kidding.

Why do they have to wait until something serious happens? I don't understand why it takes so long to get the info out there, when the fix is the same fix provided to the already-public recalls in Germany, England and the States? As far as I understand it, they simply take 90 minutes and download the software. Not rocket science.

I still don't know if all the reprogramming they did on my Sportage in Feb (see earlier posts) was for this problem or not. They then just replaced the computer. Am I driving a time bomb here?

I got rid of my '95 Voyager because it was starting to become unreliable with repairs. Now I'm back in the same boat?

Whew! Venting done! :sick:
  • ericf1ericf1 Posts: 54
    The 2006 Forester is completely updated for this year offering 173hp in the base model, and various improvements on the brakes, transmission, etc.

Not sure about the airbags though- it has head and torso side-airbags and scored "GOOD" on the side impact tests. Not bad even without curtains.

Price-wise it will be intersting to see how close the base-model '06 Forester comes to the AWD V6 Sportage. If it came down to it, I'd rather purchase a Subaru over a Kia.
  • dmuttdmutt Posts: 48
    Does the 05 Sportage have an outside temp. gage somewhere? Included in with the radio functions? Dealer could not find one. Was an EX model with the Luxury Pkg.
  • janeteditjanetedit Posts: 38
    Well, it's finally out in Canada. Recall Number TC2005102

See Transport Canada at http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/recalls/

"On certain vehicles, while cornering under conditions where Electronic Stability Program (ESP) activation may not be needed, a sensitive ESP may cause the engine to reduce power and the brake at one of the wheels to be applied without brake pedal application by the driver. This may cause the vehicle to slow and may affect the path that the vehicle is traveling. Brake application caused by inadvertent ESP activation may result in a crash. Correction: Dealers will reprogram the ESP Hydraulic Electronic Control Unit (HECU)."

So it's been out for at least a month in the rest of the world; why so long for Canada? Hopefully nobody has been hurt. I've fired off an e-mail to Kia Canada to see what they say about my Sportage. Also, my dealership promised to keep me informed. We'll see how long it takes for them to get back to me.

Still floors me that I've known about the Canadian recall for ages, and Kia Canada refused to say anything. We threatened to go to the media if nothing were done by May 15th. Doubt that had anything to do with the timing, but just glad it's out there before someone does get hurt.

Still love my car. Took it to Niagara Falls for a mum's weekend away with my best friend, and it drove like a charm (ESP off of course), and it handled the torrential rain/snow like a dream. Let's hope this is the last problem (fingers crossed).

Janet
  • Thanks for breaking the News about the Canadian recall for the ESP finally coming out. (a full month after the US recall notice). Now we need to see how long it takes for the dealers to be ready to fix it.
    (Note, my salesman claimed the condition had already been fixed before i took possession in March. But he had no proof or papers to back his claim....I think i will insist on documentation for this kind of a thing. If it turns out the fix was not yet done I will have to file a complaint against the salesman. To mislead someone on a safety recall is a serious issue IMO)

Have any of you US Sportage owners had the recall condition repaired yet ?
    I would like to hear any feedback on how it went, simple or a headache.

Still loving my sportage, It handles the endless rains of spring without any problems and on a long drive the reclining back seat is a great place for the passenger to nap.
    :)
  • mvls1mvls1 Posts: 32
    Had my sportage recall work done 2 weeks ago. It was very easy and took around 30-45 minutes total. The service department was good about getting me in and out with the least amount of inconvenience. The only thing is, I am not sure how you can tell if the new software was actually installed correctly and if the system is now working properly. Most computers have a way of checking what version of a program has been installed and is currently running on the system. Does anyone know of a way to verify that the system has been updated correctly?
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,663
    if your Sporty's driving fine, just trust them to have done the job right. There's probably no way for you to check to be sure, anyway.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• maverick1017maverick1017 Posts: 212
    I am in the same boat you are, or on the same fence, I should say. I am cross shopping the Hyundai/Kia "twins" vs. Subaru Forester, already own a 98 Forester, looking for a replacement. I test drove the Hyundai and was impressed with the build quality and performance. The Kia interior is much better designed than the Tucson. Content wise the "twins" got just about everyone beat, Subaru just can't come close. Value proposition based on price/content alone you just can't beat a Hyundai/Kia. Long term reliability is a contentious issue right now, the "twins" have make great strides in initial quality, but since they have been updating their line up so rapidly in a short amount of time there are no hard long term data to compare against Subaru. I trust Subaru whole heartly, I know they will back me up if dealers give me a hard time (personal experience). I can't say the same with Hyundai due to lack of experience.

The 06 Forester does look interesting, and that moon roof! (where is that drool emotioncon??) That is why I am putting off my purchasing decision until it hits showrooms in June and I can test drive one. That's about the only thing that's keep me from biting the bullet and buying one of the 'twins'

The new H-4 with VVT is the golden apple, although I still wish they would put a 5 speed auto in there, same goes for the 'twins'. 4 speed autos are so yesterday, but I must say any 5 speed must be geared correctly or it wouldnt' be any better than a 4, maybe better fuel economy.

I love Subarus and will always have one in my stable but the 'twins' are really ramping up their game. And with Subaru moving their product lines upmarket it leaves them with out a true contender for this particular price point, too bad really, since Subaru will loose some potential buyers. The 06 Forester will probably not see any significant price increase over the 05s but its the 07 model year that will determine where the Forester is headed price point wise since it will be a complete redesign fully integrating the new corporate front facia design.

Mike
    If you are going to wait for the '06 Forester then you might have a Sportage with more power available. Rumors in the press that Hyundai/Kia will use their new engines in the Tucson and Sportage. Those include a 162 hp 2.4L I4 and the new 3.3L V6 from the Sonata. What a great package that would be, the 3.3L in the Tucson and Sportage. Then you wouldn't hear the auto press say they are "underpowered"!
  • Hi all, who has driven one of these? Advice appreciated on pros & cons of a manual over the automatic in this family.. I have always preferred maual because a few years out its cheaper to redo the clutch than to buy a new automatic transmission..

B
    OTOH, the automatic is warranted for 10 years/100k miles while the wear components (like clutch pressure plate) of the manual are warranted for only one year/12k miles.
  • OK good point.

But up here in Canukistan the Kia warranty is good for 100,000 Km which is about 60,000 miles. Kind of disparity like our dollar which is worth about 78 cents in greenback.

B
  • maverick1017maverick1017 Posts: 212
    Backy,

that is insteresting news, would you happen to know what is the typical time frame of Hyundai/Kia's new model introductions? Subaru introduces new models in June, if Hyundai/Kia introduces around the same time frame it may be interesting to compare 06 vs 06. If they introduce later I may be forced to pick 05 vs 06, since my deadline is early July.

Mike
    I have no idea what month the update will be done. Since the Sportage just came out a couple of months ago, I'd be surprised if there were big changes as early as July.
  • radarradar Posts: 6
    Just took delivery of our EX, what a nice vehicle. Took it out to Banff and got the average fuel mileage indicator as low as 10.8 l/100km; that is with 200 km on it. :)
    Does anyone has the hitch option and would know if there is a trailer wiring package available? (must be if you have a hitch)
    We were just over in Holland and heard that they are waiting between 6 months to (expected delivery) 1 year for a new sportage!
  • carrigancarrigan Posts: 5
    We just bought a black cherry 2005 Sportage EX here in Hawaii and so far everything is great. I'm over 6' 2" and have several inches of head room and plenty of leg room. We fit our two teenagers and 10 year old in the back without squeezing, and it does groceries better than our mini-van. The rear window hatch is better for piling in bags than the rear hatch of the van.

The only problem I'm having, although minor, is with the MP3 player. It doesn't seem to play MP3 disks even though it says it does on the window sticker. I get ERROR on the CD changer display and it ejects the MP3 disk. The manual for the 6 CD Changer says it doesn't play MP3 disks. If I had to choose I'd rather have the MP3 disk support than the 6 CD changer.
    Have you checked the owner's manual to see if there are any special conditions for the MP3 files it will play? The manual that came with the MP3 unit on our Hyundai talks about the specs for files it can play and can't play.

Interestingly, on the Kia web site it specifically mentions MP3 on the standard audio but does not mention it for the CD changer that comes in the EX luxury package. Is it possible the text on the window sticker refers to the standard audio? Or is MP3 mentioned on the line item with the luxury package?