Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sportage 2005 and newer

Comments

• hfxnshfxns Posts: 74
    I just got new snow tires for my 2005 Sportage. I got Canadian Tire's Nordic Icetrac. I have had them on other cars, and I love them. The other alternative was the Michelin X-Ice - which were a fortune.

Total cost about $550 including warranty and nitrogen instead of air.

Cheers,

Dan
  • I have a 06 AWD V6 luxury on order, but would like to see what the steel grey looks like. Also, does anyone have an 06 with a sun roof? I'm about 6'3", and am hoping that the sunroof doesn't take up too much headroom.

Really like the Sportage, test drove (and own) a CRV, Xtrail, Vibe, Impreza, Mazda 3HB. Sportage came out on top for comfort, styling, warranty, and of course price. The only problem is that it's taking a month to get one ordered in..... :(
  • Mikem-I just started having the same problem with the same vehicle. It seems to be much worse when it is cold.Lots of lurching when accelerating from a stop. I guess its off to the dealer for me also.
    I drove my LX V6 4WD in the snow and ice on Saturday and it performed admirably. I was out in a driving snow and sleet storm - and while I noticed that the ESP and the ABS went on a couple of times - I felt that I was in complete control. I was also able to back out of my drive way without shovelling. If there are 2 feet or less of snow - you can barrel right through it going in reverse. I also went up the steeppest hill I know. There was plenty of thick snow and some ice and slush - and I just blasted up the street.

Cheers,

HFX NS
    Go to the Kia Motors USA website:

http://www.kia.com/sportage/sportage-views-flash.php

They have a little program where you can change the colour of the exterior and see the Sportage from different angles - all done dynamically.
    Team Falcon Racing has a ton of 2005 / 2006 Kia Sportage related accessories including grills, skid plates, etc.

http://www.teamfalconracing.com
    No overdrive.

Not sure about the RPM at 75MPH. It depends on the engine, whether it is Manual or Automatic or not, and whether you are using the steptronic or not. I can get to 75 MPH in 3rd gear using the steptronic. But the RPM would be at least 5000. Generally I would think maybe 3200-3400 RPM in 4th gear at 75 MPH. The best way to test it would be to put your cruise control at 75 MPH and then watch the RPM.

So far I have noticed that the city MPG is considerably lower than advertised. I would say 15-16 MPG. The highway is closer to the listed 26MPG.

One thing to note, is that the 19MPG city and 26MPG highway that Kia quotes is only lab tested - so it doesn't mean much. If you live in the mountains or the desert - its going to vary.

HFX NS
    Willabeast - My LX V6 4WD came with all of the above. I believe the combination of the V6 & 4WD adds more features. I remember reading that on one of the Kia websites. I paid almost to the dollar what you paid - I am in Halifax.

Interesting about the AM. Did you go through the stereo manual? Was that any help? Did you check to see if your antenna is damaged?

I love mine too, and I think my wife loves it more than me.

HFX NS :blush:
    That's an amazing story, sorry about the ankle. Good to hear though. The Tucson came out with 5's across the board in crash ratings - so the Sportage will likely have the same. Unfortunately there is no schedule for it to be tested. The Tucson got tested because Hyundai sells alot more cars.

Good luck with the ankle.
    Go to google and put in the following:

"2005 Kia Sportage" + Accessories

You will get results.
    I have a LX V6 4WD, and that sounds high. I talked to a couple of people, and everyone that I have chatted with who is Canadian paid something in the $27K -$28K range. I think the top of the line is just under $30K - i.e. with Leather.

That is just my experience. I was just chatting with someone on this site, who paid $27,250 I believe.

HFX NS
    I could be wrong though, I had a trade-in which changed my price. Your talking all in - no trade-in?
    Did this impact your warranty?

HFX NS
    I have seen the replacements. Let me think about this, first check Falcon Racing.
    You have to be careful not to get mixed up with US & UK gallons.
    I tried out the steepest hill in the city yesterday. Its a very short street, that is crazy steep. I went up it with some snow, slush and ice. I had no problems. The Sportage approach angle is 28.9% and the departure angle is 29.9%. I have never gone up or down a road that steep though.

HFX NS
    I am 6'2" and while I have no sunroof, I have 3 inches of head room left - so it shouldn't be an issue. My brother in law 6'2.5" 225lb. found the front seat very comfortable. I have had a couple of Mazda's and headroom has been an issue.

With regards to availability - why don't you ask about demonstrators. I got ours that way. The General Manager was driving a LX V6 4WD, and I asked if I could buy it from him. He was happy to sell it, but he was sad to see it go. Otherwise I would have had to wait also.

Just an idea.

Cheers,

HFX NS
    I am in Canada, and I find it heats up very quickly. In the summer, I found the Air Con to be better than my last car.
    I never get to drive my Sportage also - my wife has comandeered it.
  • psapsa Posts: 5
    I have been a Honda guy for years but I was impressed with the Sportage I saw at the San Francisco Int'l Auto Show. My wife wants the CR-V because its a Honda and we have Dealer near by. The closest Kia Dealer is about 45 minutes away. I would hate to have problems with it and have to go that far to the dealership.
    I have researched both extensively and the Kia's reliability record is not good (Consumer Digest & Consumer Reports) Also, I have read negitive things about the AT searching for the right gear under load. That is a pet-peeve of mine since I had an 1985 Blazer that did that all the time.
    That being said I still think the Sportage is a pretty good car. I like the styling and I think the inteior is much nicer than the CR-V. I tend to keep my cars a long time (10yrs +). So the question is how will the Sportage hold-up? Should this be a no-brainer and go with the Honda?
  • artgpoartgpo Posts: 483
    Since the new Sportage has been in the US for less than a year you are asking a question with no answer. Using history one would buy the Toyota. My wife's '05 Sportage is coming up on 10,000 miles after 8 months and it has been excellent. She loves this car. It has, however, been the subject to three recalls including two for reprogramming the ESC. Would we buy another Kia? Absolutely. Is is as good as the Toyota? ?? So far it has been every bit as good.
    Which trim level do you have? 4 cyl. or V6; MT or AT; 2WD or 4WD. What are your average MPG. Thanks for your help.
  • artgpoartgpo Posts: 483
    My wife has the V-6 EX 4WD. She keeps a running tab of mileage. Right now it stands at 20.8 in mixed city/freeway driving. My wife is a very conservative driver. :D The 4WD is really not needed here in Dallas but it was the right color and price at the time.
    When driving have you noticed the transmission searching for the right gear? I would imagine if it does it would do it under load. My wife and I are going to test drive after Christmas. I am excited about really checking this car out very carefully. As with yours this will be my wife's car. She is not an aggressive driver. But, of course I want a safe and dependable car that we can use weekend road trips.
    I checked this out yesterday. My RPM was at 2900 or 3000 while travelling at a steady rate of 75 MPH on flat highway.

At 80 MPH the RPM ranged between 3000 and 3200.

HFX NS
    Consider also that, Kia is now owned by Hyundai, and that Hyundai has among the highest reliability ratings in the industry. The Elantra which the Sportage and Tucson are based on is ranked as the most reliable vehicle in the world in a recent test.

HFX NS
    I have noticed this a couple of times, but I am not sure that its a matter of finding the right gear or lack of low end torque. I counteract this by using the steptronic shifter, which allows you to control shift points, access more torque (higher RPMS) and allows you to slow the car down using engine braking.

HFX NS
    Your first few oil and filter changes are free which is nice, and the schedule doesn't look particularly expensive. It peaks out at $150 or so, at the 30 or 60K mark.

HFX NS
    Steptronic shifters are pretty useless on powerful expensive cars with high quality transmissions, but they are useful on relatively underpowered cars like the Tucson or the Sportage.

HFX NS
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,746
    You will be lucky to find a 60k service for only $150. Maybe if you don't go to the dealer you could get it for that, but 60k is a very extensive servicing.