Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sportage 2005 and newer

Comments

• Sportage(possibly another name!!) under development to report on. I did read recently that Kia will export it to the U.S.in 2004 sometime, look for it in the spring or early summer of 2004. It will be sold as a 2005 model.It will be FWD with a unitized body s/as the Hyundai Elantra and AWD will be an available option. It will have a 2.0L I-4 cyl.engine and a 2.7L V6 will also be available. Also, it will be offered with an automatic transmission and a 5-speed manual transmission. It will debut at the Detroit Auto Show in January of 2004.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    The local dealer still has some left over 2002 Sportage SUVs. That means either the Sportage was a slow seller or the dealer didn't do a really good job of selling them.
  • boredbored Posts: 300
    I'd go with the latter. Another prediction is that the dealer was probably pushing people to buy the Sorento.
  • no, im not saying that Kia's new SUV will be bad..its just that if they want to start off great with this new SUV, they should rename it! why? when a lot of people hear the name Sportage, they think "wow! that car was bad quality". kia should DEFINITELY rename this SUV, especially since their quality rating has been going way up!
    has plenty of Sorentos and is attatched to dealers selling Tributes, Xterras, CR-Vs and Vitaras.
  • on this website i saw some new pictures

www.wforum.com/waf/posts/33208.shtml

greetings

nlminkie
  • Hmm...not bad looking. The C-pillar is awfully thick though..D-pillar too; looks like the rear side windows might not be worth a whole lot. Mostly the front end looks like a Ford Escape or Honda CR-V, but the sides look more like a Hyundai SantaFe...slightly anyway.
    not bad looking, but if you add some Sorento wheels it'll look like a mini Sorento! The Santa Fe wheels make it look more like a Hyundai than a Kia.
  • that front end is very nice looking and the back looks somewhat like a Sorento but actually looks better IMO. That treatment in front with the headlamps looks great. Nice find getting those pictures! The thing about this "Sportage" that may or may not be called Sportage is that it departs from the long-time Kia mini-SUV tradition of ladder-on-frame construction and is FWD. It uses an Elantra frame and is of unibody construction and part-time AWD will be available as an option. I've also found some hints that they will offer a 5-speed manual transmission, which is essential for the real driving experience. Bravo Kia!

has anybody predicted the following:

Release Date
    Trim Levels
    Transmission choices
    Colors
    Prices
    Interior Colors
  • If you ask me, it's OK. I don't exactly favor the front-end a.k.a. Escape-esque. The side looks exactly like the upcoming Chevrolet Equinox, which is a good thing. But then the rear lights aren't that great. It doesn't blend as well as the Equinox. Overall, the Sportage looks to be promising, as long as it gets a good crash test rating I'll be happy.

Oh yea, change the wheels...too Santa Fe-esque.
    bet that the wheels will be more Sorento like and that the wheels were there to try to confuse people to think it was a tricked out Santa Fe.
  • Would anyone know whether the new Sportage will feature a side-opening gate or lift-back? It appears will be a lift-back gate (center mounted handle on picture). Can anyone corroborate? Thanks!
    like a liftgate to me, although a side gate wouldn't be bad.
  • I found this site today while searching for information on the new 2005 Sportage or whatever Kia decides to call it. Lots of good information here.
    welcome!! Hope you find lots of info on the site- it's really pretty helpful. (to me, at least)
  • thread I'll just about guarantee it you'll know MORE than your Kia salesman! I have grilled many a Kia salesman while browsing different dealer's lots and the salespeople don't know all the details we learn here on the Net. They won't admit it but you'll see it's true! This new Kia SUV looks good to me and I'll continue to perk up my ears to any new info.as it becomes available. Bring any new info.here about this unibody SUV everybody! BTW the '01 Sportsman is running like a champ! And I'm not gonna start singing the Seger tune "Like a Rock!" Talk about overdoing it Chev...glad they're finally onto a new ad slogan tune.

• Has anybody checked out this owner loyalty program? It only applies to certain years. Right now if you own a Kia that is a model year prior to 2001, you do not get any loyalty bonus for buying another Kia. Basically, past 3 years even the manufacturer does not want their own cars. Try talking to Consumer service agents on the phone and you get rhetoric run around. Nice company.
  • one of the negatives regarding buying one is the resale value being low. It's just a plain fact but I am one who CAN get the owner loyalty rebate so I don't feel as irritated about it. I have seen how my Kia dealer will sweeten the deal enough for you if you're a repeat customer and you want to trade in on a new Kia. You will be upside down if you don't put enough cash down or just outright buy your Kia with cash, though. Some of your last car's loan can get tacked on to the new purchase loan but you will pay for that eventually. Just a plain fact. So, the point I'm getting to is this: Kia also has to sell your trade-in and they know they can't get top dollar for them. You'll get their version of the "customer rep" runaround as stated in the post above. Knowing the Kia brand, though, as a buyer of their cars I feel that this is a good thing. You can score a great deal on a used one(though I have bought both of mine new and enjoy the Long Haul Warranty as a result). Kia is fixing the quality "issues" and the new crop of Kia's are generally better-built than the older Kia's(Sephia, Sportage)that you'll read the quality stories of. The fixes on my two Kia's have all been covered by the Long-Haul and both vehicles have been good, efficient ones. I would not sway anybody away from buying a Kia.
         Anybody heard anything new about the new-gen Sportage? Will they install CVVT engines in the new Sportage and Hyundai Tuscon?

Anybody heard any news lately?

Optima-
    The one thing that's turning me off from this car is fuel economy on the V6 model. If they could raise it to about 24 MPG, I'll be back.
    Any chance it might be a rebadged Tucson?
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,682
    the Sportage has it's own body design completely. I'll bet there's a lot of parts roto-binable on these two rigs but I posted a link in this thread that has a comletely uncovered set of pictures of the brand new Kia Sportage(which may not be named Sportage BTW)under development right now. Kia will definitely build a microsite for it this year sometime and, of course, the Hyundai Tucson already has it's own microsite to look at it's all-new design. Pretty sharp looking I might add! If you want to, go take a look backwards in this thread and find the post where I provide a link to the new pictures. It also looks pretty sharp and a real similar size to the new Tucson. The front is different, though, as is the rear, and of the two I would say that the new Sportage's look is the most unconventional look(although I like it already). I think this new Sportage under development has popped the Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 out as my favorite "next new car possibility" in a coupla years.

will the pricing stay the same as on the old Sportage, or will the price go up? And by how much?
  • murleymurley Posts: 6
    The Platform is shared with the Tucson as well. The vehicle was designed for Kia and has been in build for three years now. Hyundai decided to take and create their own version on the platform.
  • murleymurley Posts: 6
    As for the details, it will be available this late-late fall or "early" winter..., probably around november +/-. Pricing will be more than the sportage slightly, but not as much as the Sorento. Probably starting in the 16,000 range and topping out around 22,000 depending on engine choice, trim level, drive configuration, and small add-ons.
    will probably be more like $18,295, or something very close to that. I say that because my '01 Sportage retailed for $17,075(base model, no A/C or even radio)and this will be an all-new model. With inflation I'd bump up the lower end of your price range a tad, other than that I'd say it's pretty close to being right on. This Sportage will have a unitized body(no more body-on-ladder frame design of old) and will be FWD with an option for AWD driving at the driver's whim. Of course, AWD will be an option and not standard equipment. Very, very interesting, eh?

the base price will be like $19,999 to add options like Air Conditioning and a CD Player to the standard equipment list.
    Kia would need to keep it lower to truly call it a "base" price, know what I mean? The buyer is still getting a good deal by getting an '05 Kia Sportage for $18,295. Even without A/C. They just are. Add A/C to the base model(as an option) and the price will be around $19,295, before T&L is added in. This new-world-order 2005 Kia Sportage is the front-runner for my next new car at this point. The '01 Sportage now has 73,455 miles(and is running on it's original factory Hankook's and has not blown a single light bulb of any kind yet!). Kia rocks the house nicely. If I pop in The Drive-By Trucker's 2003 CD entitled 'Decoration Day' my '01 Sportage gets to rockin' all the more so. Anybody like Skynyrd or The Outlaws or Nirvana or Molly Hatchet out there? Check out a band from Muscle Shoals, Alabama, called The Drive-By Truckers. Better yet see them live. Be prepared to get rocked mightily.

In todays world, people are demanding that basic items like Air Conditioning and a CD Player come with their cars. See how many Honda Civic DX models Honda sells? The ones with no air conditioning or a CD Player. Same thing with the Accord DX. They must sell one of those for every 50 Accord EX sedans they sell.
    which may or may not be called Sportage, again. Know why? I just got back here from the Kia Global website where I learned that Kia is indeed going to name the new compact SUV they are releasing in the fall of 2004 Sportage. They came to that conclusion after recalling the success of the predecessor, with it's good cutting-edge looks and functional design. Cool, huh? The new Sportsman will come in either a 2.0L inline 4 cylinder engine or a 2.7L V6 engine and will include an option for AWD. It will be of unibody build and offer passenger car ride and quiet highway interior cruising noise, yet it will still offer that "sitting up higher feel and effect" that the earlier Sportage offers. Very, very appealing, Kia. Yes, you are the best. The 2005 Kia Sportage will affirm that statement, I can just tell.