Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sportage 2005 and newer

Comments

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,663
    (which may or may not be called Sportage by the way!)is that the new SUV(smaller than Hyundai's Santa Fe)will offer an optional 2.7L V6 engine AND optional all-wheel drive. I believe carspy01 HAS mentioned the all-wheel drive option before but I'm just re-iterating it. Otherwise your new Kia Sportage replacer will feature front-wheel drive. Gone is the old rear-wheel drive that my Sportage runs on now with shift-on-the-fly 4-wheel drive available at your whim. Whoo-hoo carspy01 we're learning more all the time! The U.S.release should be in the fall of 2004 as a 2005 model-year product.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• carspy01carspy01 Posts: 137
    but it's coming earlier... :-)
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,663
    will be here in the States earlier is not bad news it's good! My Sportage is great right now but it's fun to look down the road at what you might want to pull the trade-trigger on later and this new small SUV from Kia and Hyundai's Tiburon GT V6 are at the top of my list(actually the Tib's at the very top)right now. The front of this SUV looks handsome but only makes me want to find that actual SUV and rip the cover off the front to see it better! ARGGH!! =;)

• jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    What's with the KM name?
  • carspy01carspy01 Posts: 137
    It's not a name - it's only an internal platform designation within Hyundai and Kia, usually two letters. Example: The former "Kia GH"-concept was the Hyundai XG-architecture. Now, the "Kia GH" is better known in its product version as Opirus/Amanti.
    Kia promised a Sportage after a one year hiatus. Then again, if you still want a sportage, my local dealer still has three left from 2002. My Saturn dealer has a left over 2002 Saturn SL.
  • Just lemon lawed my 02 Sportage. 6 times the breaks have failed. 2 master cylinders and 6 set of rotors and pads. Glad to be out of this POS.
  • Every model has its share of lemons. Every single one. A brand cannot be characterized by a single person's experience!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Any more info on this car, or is Kia taking the Honda route? Holding all info until the last minute?
  • Sportage(possibly another name!!) under development to report on. I did read recently that Kia will export it to the U.S.in 2004 sometime, look for it in the spring or early summer of 2004. It will be sold as a 2005 model.It will be FWD with a unitized body s/as the Hyundai Elantra and AWD will be an available option. It will have a 2.0L I-4 cyl.engine and a 2.7L V6 will also be available. Also, it will be offered with an automatic transmission and a 5-speed manual transmission. It will debut at the Detroit Auto Show in January of 2004.

The local dealer still has some left over 2002 Sportage SUVs. That means either the Sportage was a slow seller or the dealer didn't do a really good job of selling them.
  • boredbored Posts: 300
    I'd go with the latter. Another prediction is that the dealer was probably pushing people to buy the Sorento.
  • no, im not saying that Kia's new SUV will be bad..its just that if they want to start off great with this new SUV, they should rename it! why? when a lot of people hear the name Sportage, they think "wow! that car was bad quality". kia should DEFINITELY rename this SUV, especially since their quality rating has been going way up!
    has plenty of Sorentos and is attatched to dealers selling Tributes, Xterras, CR-Vs and Vitaras.
  • on this website i saw some new pictures

www.wforum.com/waf/posts/33208.shtml

greetings

nlminkie
  • Hmm...not bad looking. The C-pillar is awfully thick though..D-pillar too; looks like the rear side windows might not be worth a whole lot. Mostly the front end looks like a Ford Escape or Honda CR-V, but the sides look more like a Hyundai SantaFe...slightly anyway.
    not bad looking, but if you add some Sorento wheels it'll look like a mini Sorento! The Santa Fe wheels make it look more like a Hyundai than a Kia.
  • that front end is very nice looking and the back looks somewhat like a Sorento but actually looks better IMO. That treatment in front with the headlamps looks great. Nice find getting those pictures! The thing about this "Sportage" that may or may not be called Sportage is that it departs from the long-time Kia mini-SUV tradition of ladder-on-frame construction and is FWD. It uses an Elantra frame and is of unibody construction and part-time AWD will be available as an option. I've also found some hints that they will offer a 5-speed manual transmission, which is essential for the real driving experience. Bravo Kia!

has anybody predicted the following:

Release Date
    Trim Levels
    Transmission choices
    Colors
    Prices
    Interior Colors