Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sportage 2005 and newer

Comments

• boltguyboltguy Posts: 94
    Hi all,
    I have an '05 Sportage LX,V6, 4WD. If you have any knowledge of Kia's weird option packages in the U.S., you know the LX doesn't come with keyless entry or fog lights or heated side mirrors.

Has anyone considered doing any of these mods using original OEM equipment? I know they would be more expensive than some aftermarket stuff, but I would rather not have to splice anything if I can help it, and would like to keep the warranty valid.

I've researched the foglights somewhat, and it looks like you would have to purchase the foglight assemblies and you would have to install a new headlight stalk as the foglight switch is located on it.
  • Ax far as the foglights are concerned: aftermarket lights usually outperform the OEM lights by far in brightness and driveability. An aftermarket shop will install a rocker switch in an empty slot for the lights negating the new headlight stalk. I have an 06 LX AWD V6 with 11,000 miles and I've researched this same mod. I'm going aftermarket on the fogs. Also using Penzoil full synthetic oil and purolator pure one filters.
  • Hello all,

It's been a while!
    My 2005 ExV6 is going and going.
    I have done so far just 44.000 KM.
    No problem so far. The only thing are the well known Gas consumption and the tire that are gone (even though I change my tires for the winter's one).Very poor BF.
    I just had the news from another website that the Sportage is having a face lift and the direction more responsive then the multimedia console .
    Very tempting to change my Sportage to this new one, but I'll wait for the 2009 Soul.
    Any one with any thought?
    ;)
  • jrt2jrt2 Posts: 1
    My 05 Sportage LX has the same cruise control problem. It is very frustrating because it is an intermittant problem. I have taken it to the dealer five times, had a new switch put in and still have the problem- the cruise control light comes on and does not set sometimes. Sometimes the cruise light comes on and goes right off. I drive lots of miles daily and now since I am over the 60000 miles the problem is no longer covered by warrenty.... My cruise control switch is not located on the steering wheel, but on the the steering wheel column (under the windshield wiper switch) if that matters` is yours set up the same way? By the way, the last time I took it to my dealer, they suggested I take it to another Kia dealer, because my dealer couldn't correct the problem! Like who has time for that!
    Well, I love my Kia, however, I will remember this problem the next time I am ready to purchase another vehicle. Let me know it you get the cruise control fixed, because my dealer couldn't help me with mine..... :sick:
  • Our 2006 Kia Sportage required new tires after only 22,000 of the 60,000 guaranteed. We had to pay about $200 as 'our part' of replacing all 4 tires. Now THOSE tires have only about 12,000 miles and are already down to 7/32 of the original 10/32. What gives with this tire wear?

I am guaranteed by BFG, my KIA dealers, and the tire guy that the tires are the correct ones for that vehicle, yet none of them can offer a reason for the extremely quick wear. I asked all of them if it had to do with the faact that it is also a 4-wheel-drive and they looked it up and said the tires were correct.

After seeing a couple of posts here on similar problems, I really would like to know what is going on!
  • hi guys, i just bought a used 05 ex v6 with 4wd but i dont have a manual.
    is the 4wd lock an on the fly or do you have to stop to engage. and is this an AWD or not.
    the salesman was useless.
  • My Sportage has recently begun accelerating while driving down the road. RPM's go from 2000 to 6000 in an instant and accelerates, without warning...almost backended a car the other day. The RPM's also drop in an instant and the car feels like it's pulling back/de-accelerating. (made a large knocking sound when this happened the other day) Often when I slow down or come to a stop it cuts off/won't idle. I had the throttle cleaned and had a new air filter put in but it didn't help. The dealership wants me to spend about $600 to see if they can figure out what the problem is...doesn't show up on diagnostic test. Dealership mechanic drove and it happen to him but he had no idea what was causing it. Does anyone have any idea what is causing this?
  • mikdeemikdee Posts: 27
    Hey hawkspirit, I have the same issues, I have a 2005' Hyundai Tucson LX 4WD V6 Auto (sister car), my 1st set of BFGoodrich Traction T/A "Spec" tires wore out by 13k miles, in a deal with BFGoodrich, I got the better BFGoodrich Traction T/A H rated tires at a discount, and they wore out by 20k miles, finally I gave up & went with Cordovan touring tires by Cooper, and they're almost done at 30k miles now, even tho all tires wore evenly they wore much too fast, I'm looking for new tires my 4th set at 56k miles! I heard these cars wear them out prematurely because they have ESP, & They're AWD instead of 4WD like the previous Santa Fe, I guess that's also why the gas milage is not so good on these either. My previous 2002' Santa Fe LX 4WD V6 Auto got 87k on the tires, and 24-30mpg highway milage, go figure?!
  • So, in a moment [OK, more than a moment] of madness last week I bought not 1, but 2 I4 5spd Sportages! 1 is 4x4, the other is 4x2. I couldn't resist the combination of rebates taking the price down below invoice PLUS 0% for 5 years, so traded in an '05 Element EX AWD and an '06 base [but slushbox] Sonata.

The entire Element Owners Club [most active SUV forum on the 'net] think I'm out of my tree. Hopefully years of safe, comfortable and enjoyable Kia ownership will vindicate my decision...

:D

Anyhoo, obviously I like the trucks [comfortable, attractive, well equipped even at base LX 5spd level, reasonably fun to drive....], and two test drives coupled with some serious research were enough to give me the confidence to go ahead with the madness.

:surprise:

The only slight downsides are the lack of remote lock operation, and the fact that the side mirrors are not heated [my '06 Sonata spoiled me for ever with that sweet feature - very handy indeed here in Chicago winter wonderland!]

I've had 3 Hyundai's in the past, and never had a problem [apart from an Elantra that constantly needed headlight bulbs replacing]. These are my first Kias, but I'm hopeful that I'll have the same good experiences reliability wise with them as I've had with the other Korean machines.

Right! I'm off to start a tire thread....

See you there!
  • the exact same thing is happening to my 2006 sportage. Dealer says diagnostics turns up nothing. Major safety issue. I would be curious to see if anyone else has a clue what causes this.
  • If they're the BF Goodrich's we had on our 2005 Sportage, they are defective. BF Goodrich won't admit it. After a long yelling session with their customer service we took them to an independent tire dealer who said the rubber was cracked, warped, and defective. He said of his over 30 years of tire work he has never seen such low quality rubber. We replaced with them some Coopers, which aren't all that much better right now, but anything is better than the BF's, we will never buy that brand again. I recommend going with Goodyear, Firestone/ Bridgestone or Japanese--Toyo's are really good and so are Yokohamas.
  • teb123456teb123456 Posts: 1
    You might have a mechanic check the idle speed control sensor. when this sensor goes bad the idle goes up and down similar to your problem :)
  • tdentontdenton Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem with the cruise control on my 2005 Kia Sportage. The first time it happened, one of the brake lights also went out. When I replaced that brake light, it started working properly again. But now it's doing it again. I'll turn the cruise control on, the "Cruise" light will turn on, but when I hit the "Set" button, the "Set" light will flash on but won't set. Or sometimes it will set, but then the cruise control will just turn off a few minutes later!! Very, very frustrating since my commute is 40 miles each way. Please let me know if someone finds a solution to this problem. :(
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,769
    Update: the Sportage is now Recommended by CR and its predicted reliability is "above average".

Only about a dozen posts here in the past year. Doesn't anyone buy or own Sportages any more?? I am looking for a vehicle to replace our aging minivan, and my wife just loves the Sportage--thinks it's really "cute". I like it because of its safety gear, roomy interior, and price--there's a good lease deal right now that fits our financial plans. We drove a jade green LX I4 AT yesterday--very comfy and roomy, and enough power although it won't burn any rubber. If we can get a decent price for our van, we will probably pull the trigger on it this month.

P.S. the other purpose of this post was to move the number off "666"... just not a good number for a car I might be driving soon. ;)
  • jamieannejamieanne Posts: 4
    Maybe there aren't many posts because there aren't many complaints! I have an 05 EX and have had absolutely zero problems, except each brake light burned out once...big deal. The only irritation for me is the gas consumption, (I average about 19 mpg...but mine is an AWD which makes a difference). The car is fun to drive, has an amazing warranty, is very comfortable even on long trips, has lots of room, carries a variety of loads because of the 40/60 back seat split, plus the front seat folds flat for extra long items. It's the best! Notice that the consumer ratings are consistently high - better than the competitors. I also like the safety features, especially since my son just turned 16 and got his license - do you hear the sound of fingernail gnashing? - We go to the mountains to snowboard and the car handles very well. I hope it works out for you as well as it has for us! Oh - I'm glad CR has come around. It seemed that they were basing their opinions on prejudice, not fact. I would recommend going for the stronger V6.
    Even if there's no problems, it's OK just to come and talk about your car now and then--as you just did. :)

I am in penny-pinching mode on this vehicle and frankly the LX has everything we'd want, except remote locking. But I'm not going to buy an EX V6 just to get that. My first minivan was a '91 Caravan, 2.5L I4, 100 hp, pulling a little more weight than the Sportage I4 does with 140 hp. So the I4 will do. Will get a little better fuel economy than the V6 also. My middle son will get his license this fall, and this will be my wife's around-town daily driver, so safety is the main concern.

One thing we like about the Sportage is all the leg room in back, and the reclining rear seats with center armrest. It should be a pretty nice highway cruiser for the few times we take long trips. It seems you have found that to be the case. How long are the trips you've taken in your Sportage?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,611
    Even though Kia sales are up this year, Sportage sales, like most SUV sales, are down. Down by half from last June in fact.

Forbes

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

Uh... duh. But they are still ideal vehicles for some of us. The Sportage will actually provide better fuel economy than what we have now, an MPV.

The drop in Sportage sales is probably why there are big incentives--$2500 rebate plus $500 competitive bonus. And a really good lease deal--0.00065 money factor for 36 months. Remember back a couple of years ago when the discussion here was about the dearth of discounts on the Sportage? Not any more!
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,611
    I was thinking that the drop in Sportage sales is probably why activity was slow in here - fewer new owners yakking about their rides and fewer potential owners wanting to find out stuff from current owners.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

Yeah, and then there's folks like iluv who went over the wall to the Mitsubishi camp. ;)
  • :confuse: hey guys,

I just bought a Kia 4 cyl LX model ( with in built parrot bluetooth ). I was in a hurry to get a car and I think I did not negotiate well.

All in all I got the following deal wondering if anyone can confirm my fears or comfort me cause I feel like [non-permissible content removed] on paying more :)

Now my credit score is good 705 ( not excellent but good). But my credit has been built only in an year (since I have been to US only about 2 yrs now). I have never bought a car in states before...

Model WHite 2008 sportage LX MRP was about 20000
    Sate California
    Down payment 5500
    Monthly payment for 5 years $235

Also wondering what is a typical per year depreciation on Kia cars.

Waiting eagerly for your answers

:(( archstone
    That does seem a bit high. You didn't say what the negotiated price or taxes/fees were, but when I was looking at a lease of a Sportage just like yours recently, I was able to get a price of invoice less holdback, or about $18,300, with very little negotiating. You might be able to do better in CA, I don't know. Less the $2500 rebate is $15,800. Less your down payment is $10,300. That amount financed for 5 years for a payment of $235/month comes out to about a 13% interest rate, which seems high. But you also have to include your tax/fees in there, so the rate is not really as high as that.

Typical depreciation on Kias is... well, not very good. Although I checked on resale values of 2005+ Sportages in my area and they seem to be holding up reasonably well. Depreciation for the first couple of years on ANY new car is pretty steep. So plan on enjoying your Sportage for a few years.
  • Hi Backy

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I should have shared more details. This was a purchase. I plan to sell the car in 2 years. I was not getting a 2 year lease on Sportage so ended up financing the car.

As per the papers I thought I was getting a 6% simple interest over a period of 5 years. Am I right?

I am also hoping to sell the car in 2010 and hoping for a worst case selling price of 11k. And you are right...as per craigslist the resale value of 05-07 models are holding up pretty well.
    I understood that you were buying the car. I just mentioned that I was looking at a lease.

What was the amount financed? What was the sales price of the car including destination charge but before any taxes, license, or other fees? The finance contract you signed should have all the details including the interest rate. If it is in fact 6%, then it appears you did not get much of a discount.

If all you expect to get after two years is 11k and you keep it in good condition and don't drive a lot of miles, I think you have a decent chance to do that, for a private-party sale at least. Unfortunately, in two years an all-new Sportage might be out.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,713
    I was just trying to catch up on my Edmunds reading and found your post above about me! Yeah, I did jump to the Mitsubishi camp, but I am still a fan of Kia. And my wife loved our '01 Kia Sportage 4X4 and did not want the '08 Lancer GTS anywhere near as much as I did. She was the one that really put us in the Sportage instead of a '02 Kia Spectra sedan. That was in the fall of '01.

I can not say much negative about our '01 Sportage 4X4 experience. Good, solid, small SUV that held together well and pulled decent gas mileage, too. And, it gave us that "sitting up higher" above the road experience many love, too.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• I am experiencing this same issue and am about to purchase a whole new set of tires at a hundred or so a pop. Is there something that the dealer is doing in response to this issue? Are they offering or do I need to raise hell with the local Kia dealer to get this rectified at a much lower cost? I don't mind paying 200 for a replacement fee. It's darn sight better than 400 to 500 for it. Any ideas? And I LOVE my 2006 Sportage.
  • I don't know if anyone else has gotten this issue resolved, but here's the scoop. I had the EXACT same symptoms on my 2006 Sportage V6 LX. Nobody, even the Albuquerque dealer where I purchased the car, could identify what the heck was happening. One time the dealer's mechanic even said that it was my gas cap leaking. LOL! I remember the first time I had that power drop and loud "CLUNK"... I thought I was going to cry because I thougth I'd bought a lemon. As I was relocating from Albuquerque to Dayton, Ohio the symptom reared its ugly head on the highway in between Amarillo, TX and Oklahoma City, OK. It was a saving grace in Elk City, OK that the AutoZone was still open and the clerk on duty put her analyzer on my poor baby. The code? THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR.... This little sucker was intermittently failing and finally pooped out on the road. I limped to OKC using almost a full tank of gas because of the raggedy driving. They replaced the TPS and there hasn't been a surge or drop ever since. I urge you to have your Kia Dealer/Mechanic look at this tricky little sensor. Good luck to all.
  • Hi- I bought a 2006 Sportage EX fully loaded and love it. I'm getting ready to take my first trip tomorrow. I will tell you that I drive 37 mi a day round trip to work and I work 6 days a week, and I only fill up one time per week. I'm looking forward to finding out how much my highway trip will cost me. I dont travel on a highway going to work each week, and not only does my Sportage take me to work 6 days a week but also all those little extras, grocery shopping, etc. I use my air conditioning always, and I dont drive like a drip. Granted, I dont drag race to be the first in line to beat all the other drivers. However, I am so elated to own such a fine vehicle that not only gives me great gas mileage, but, is fun to drive and gives me everything I ever wanted in a SUV. I bought my Sportage last year, brand new, July 1st 2007. This is the best deal I've ever made on a brand new vehicle. I would never consider looking into another vehicle. I would hope you're not so dissatisfied with your purchase, because my SUV has been nothing but thumbs up!
    Thanks for the insights. I had to put the Sportage on hold because I couldn't get the price I needed for our minivan. Also I noticed the lease deal on the Sportage is not as good now as it was in July. So I'll keep an eye on incentives as we get closer to the end of the year--hopefully they'll increase. I don't mind getting a 2008 on closeout since I hear there's very few changes on the 2009s.
  • I'm the proud owner of a 2006 EX with about 35,000 trouble free miles. I just completed a trip from Naples Fl to KC Mo towing a fully loaded 8' U-Haul trailer. Trip was uneventful, gas mileage was about 19 mpg at a cruise between 70-75 mph. I love my little, cheap SUV.