Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sportage 2005 and newer

Comments

• artgpoartgpo Posts: 483
    Since the new Sportage has been in the US for less than a year you are asking a question with no answer. Using history one would buy the Toyota. My wife's '05 Sportage is coming up on 10,000 miles after 8 months and it has been excellent. She loves this car. It has, however, been the subject to three recalls including two for reprogramming the ESC. Would we buy another Kia? Absolutely. Is is as good as the Toyota? ?? So far it has been every bit as good.
  • psapsa Posts: 5
    Which trim level do you have? 4 cyl. or V6; MT or AT; 2WD or 4WD. What are your average MPG. Thanks for your help.
    My wife has the V-6 EX 4WD. She keeps a running tab of mileage. Right now it stands at 20.8 in mixed city/freeway driving. My wife is a very conservative driver. :D The 4WD is really not needed here in Dallas but it was the right color and price at the time.
  • psapsa Posts: 5
    When driving have you noticed the transmission searching for the right gear? I would imagine if it does it would do it under load. My wife and I are going to test drive after Christmas. I am excited about really checking this car out very carefully. As with yours this will be my wife's car. She is not an aggressive driver. But, of course I want a safe and dependable car that we can use weekend road trips.
  • hfxnshfxns Posts: 74
    I checked this out yesterday. My RPM was at 2900 or 3000 while travelling at a steady rate of 75 MPH on flat highway.

At 80 MPH the RPM ranged between 3000 and 3200.

HFX NS
    Consider also that, Kia is now owned by Hyundai, and that Hyundai has among the highest reliability ratings in the industry. The Elantra which the Sportage and Tucson are based on is ranked as the most reliable vehicle in the world in a recent test.

HFX NS
    I have noticed this a couple of times, but I am not sure that its a matter of finding the right gear or lack of low end torque. I counteract this by using the steptronic shifter, which allows you to control shift points, access more torque (higher RPMS) and allows you to slow the car down using engine braking.

HFX NS
    Your first few oil and filter changes are free which is nice, and the schedule doesn't look particularly expensive. It peaks out at $150 or so, at the 30 or 60K mark.

HFX NS
    Steptronic shifters are pretty useless on powerful expensive cars with high quality transmissions, but they are useful on relatively underpowered cars like the Tucson or the Sportage.

HFX NS
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,681
    You will be lucky to find a 60k service for only $150. Maybe if you don't go to the dealer you could get it for that, but 60k is a very extensive servicing.
    I have not noticed the searching you describe. I can say, however, the transmission is very smooth. The car seems peppy until I drive it after driving my '06 Odyssey. Not an issue for us.
    Is yours a I4 or a V6?
    It wasn't me who started the thread about the V6 searching for the right gear, I was responding to someone else. I am not sure what he was talking about, but I think he is referring to the lack of low end grunt. Do you use the steptronic at all? If so, how do you use it?
  • If you haven't already taken it in for service, I did. It was a loose vacuum hose. Not only fixed the problem, the overall acceleration is much better - I always thought it lacked zip, but this made a difference. If you haven't taken it in, do so. It makes quite a difference.
    My wife's Sportage is an EX 4WD V-6. I used the manual shift mode twice just to see how it works. I have not been in a manual shift situation. My wife will never use it that way.
  • We bought our 2005 Kia Sportage Diesel in August this year and absolutely love it. My wife drives it in and around town most of the time and i do, when going away over a week-end. It is very economical at 10km/l in town and 12.5km/l on the open road.

We have the same problem with wind noise and found it to be coming from the left-side mirror.
  • winter is here now in Montreal.. Canada

No problems yet with my Sportage which works excellent in snow, won't slip and slide, traction excellent with 4 winter tires. ( my previous post about heater seats not working was due to blown fuse in the 12v plug of both heater seat pads - kia exonorated!!) :-)

One problem.... All I get is 100 Km ( 60 miles) on the first half of the tank... about 12 miles to the imp. gallon(160 oz.) or 9.6 miles per US gallon (128 oz.)
    in liters... about 25 liters per 100 L ;-(

I don't like this one bit !! If things don't improve ..if dealer gives me the usual and silly .."it's normal" no more kia's for me !! ..and I trade my 2004 Sorento for this ???

my brother has a GM 2500 HD pick-up and does better milage than me.
  • Hi all,

I bought my 2005 Kia Sportage (EX 4WD) in August. I have around 4500 miles on it so far and love it. I have a question regarding rebates. The dealer I bought it from recently sent me a letter in the mail asking me to sign it stating there was no rebate on the vehicle (I'm assuming their talking about when I bought it). Since they don't seem to be very open about it when I ask them, do any of you know if there were any rebates on this vehicle that I wasn't aware of when I bought it, and maybe they're just trying to cover themselves by getting me to sign this form? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
  • My Sportage did the same. I put the key in and it wouldn't turn. After several attempts,I called Kia Assistance but they were no help. My sister told me to turn the steering wheel, which I had, but I did it again, this time harder. the key finally turned. Has this happened to anyone else?