Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sportage 2005 and newer

Comments

• dmartin4dmartin4 Posts: 1
    Kia's are just as nice as honda's! They just have a bad rep they are still trying to overcome. People forget that makers like Toyota and Honda started out like Kia, a small foreign car manufacturer with one or two car lines! The new sportage has the most standard features for the best price, you definently picked the right vehicle!
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,695
    beautiful 2005 Kia Sportage. I'm looking at either a '05 Kia Sportage or a '05 Scion tC for our next new car, but with no pressure whatsoever to trade our '01 Sportage 4x4 in for one of them. When the timing is just right, with just the nice and neat little budge I need from somewhere I'll pull the trigger. I would get the 2WD FWD Sportage with the 5-speed tranny. Those are retailing for $15,999, but that's without air conditioning if I'm not sadly mistaken. A/C is a must in the MidWest, so that would have to be an option I would select when purchasing. I saw my first '05 Sportage pulling up to a drive-thru line at one of the McDonald's in Jefferson City, MO. It was a bright white one, a very powerful and striking looking rig. Very nice. I remain very interested-this SUV has a lot of safety equipment standard and I think it's gonna help build Kia's popularity even more as the company gears up for a large Spectra5 ad campaign.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• spectramanspectraman Posts: 255
    artgpo said:
    The salesman at the Honda store tried to knock the Hyundai and Kias by saying only people form the lower socio-economic class buy those products, therefore their opinions mean nothing. How demeaning and stupid? The guy does not know me from Adam. I could be on welfare. Really turned us off to Honda.

For the record, I am one consumer that proves that the Honda salesman you spoke with is full of excrement!

I am a data systems professional pulling down $80k+ annually, and living in a $300K+ home. I am a professed "car nut", and previously spent nearly 10 years working for one of the "Big 3" as a contract programmer.

What car did I purchase 9 months ago, and am extremely satified with?

A KIA Spectra EX!

Always, ALWAYS, cast a jaundiced on ANYTHING a salesperson says about the competition.

Thanks for sharing that info, artgpo!

-SM
  • artgpoartgpo Posts: 483
    While I will not discuss income, I can safely say we are very upper middle class. I was insulted by the Honda salesman. Had I been a person of lesser means I don't think I would have been more insulted than I was.

Kia has a new Sedona coming this Fall and I for one will be waiting to see how it works. First though, the Sportage will have to prove itself to me.
  • tomsr1tomsr1 Posts: 130
    I always have said sales people are the incompetents who have no skills except
    deceit.Word of mouth is the best sales tool.I get a ton of junk mail and don't even look at it.I use consumers report to get the truth.I had a Honda CRV and after
    2 years it was wearing out prematurely so I traded it for a Highlander.I expect a
    car to look and feel like new after 5 years if taken care of.My Acura TL is of this caliber.60K miles and not a rattle sqeak or drip.Honda can make good cars and
    so can Hyundai.Maybe it comes down how the dealer treats you after the sell. :
  • w2323w2323 Posts: 60
    You should also look at the Hyundai Tucson the twin of the Sportage as all of them come standard with remote entry and cruise control as well as a few other items. For what I think is a better price for some odd reason.

Also since both come with 10 year/100mile drivetrain. I'm stearing away from the manual. As I have heard from Hyundai Tiburan customers that dealerships are trying to blame early clutch failure on bad driving and not covering them. Why take a chance and not have the 10/100 cover everything by getting a 5 speed.

I like 5 speeds as well but taking a chance on not covering a part is more important to me. Hope its helpful
  • But please don't forget that Tucson doesn't have the SRS as standart and the interior , Sportage just is superior than Tucson!
    Chenk it out! ;)
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,710
    If SRS = Supplemental Restraint System, in the U.S. the Sportage and Tucson are equal on that score--both have front side bags and side curtains. Also both have stability control. The Tucson has A/C standard, the Sportage does not. But I agree, the Sportage's interior (and exterior IMO) looks better than the Tucson's. If only Kia would count Hyundais towards their loyalty rebates, or challenge rebates. Hyundai owners seem to be on No Man's Land with Kia. :(
  • njeraldnjerald Posts: 688
    Lots of Sportages' in the lot down at the Port of Tacoma, Washington.
    Tacoma is the port of entry for the Sportage.
  • 3/25/05, Picked up my new "Steel Silver" Sportage. Fresh off the truck, my sales person, stashed it away for me. Here's my take on how to deal with the dealers. Come right out and tell them "specifically" what you want; in other words, make your list up before you go face to face with the sales person. Be firm, but not rude, don't act like you can't live without the vehicle. When you have given them the information, see if they have "exactly" what you want. If they don't, tell them to call you when they do, and WALK out the door. Your job is done ! You're the customer, it's their JOB to get you the product. DON'T SETTLE! Come right out and tell them what you'll pay... trust me, they hate people who know exactly what the want and won't settle but they'll get it for you anyway. Right after you leave the dealer if they don't have "exactly" what you want, send KIA Customer Satisfaction an E-mail, detailing exactly what you want, YES, right down to the color. That's exactly what I did and in less than two (2) hours I get a call from them. Funny how they tell you the "allotment" story, just like the sales guy at the dealer. Don't buy it, cause two days later, "MY VEHICLE" shows up at the dealer. So guess what... I bought it. BELIEVE IT OR DON'T RIPLEY... I PAID STRAIGHT INVOICE, PLUS I got the five hundred loyalty bonus as well, and I traded in my 2000 Focus to boot. My 05 Sportage is a great vehicle, new from the ground up, best build quality in the business, best warranty, great price for small SUV. Go get one for yourself... ;)
  • janeteditjanetedit Posts: 38
    Yup, we did the same thing. Told them exactly what we were willing to pay. They didn't like it all! Too bad. They ummed and ahhed, and then gave it to us for 23,500 CDN (asking was $24,995). Even at that they're still making money. And we didn't trade any vehicle in. Be tough. Stand your ground. Make them work for you.

By the way, you should check your VIN # with Kia USA to see if it's part of the recall there. Kia Canada still isn't saying anything official to owners, even though Transport Canada has told us that yes, there is a recall.

Go figure.

I love my Sportage. People all over town are asking me about it. It's kinda funny. What a joy to drive. I had a ten-year-old Plymouth Voyager, so to me this is like a luxury vehicle!

Janet
    :shades:
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,451

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• axguyaxguy Posts: 16
    I've only driven it about 40 miles but so far I love it. Got the EX with the luxury package. It's so nice. Now I want to buy all the accessories for it. Does anyone know where you can get discounted KIA parts?
    Thanks,
    Jeff
  • Right On Janet... ($17700 USD) That includes the environmental package. And thanks for reminding me to check my VIN# for the recall. Happy Motoring all... :D
    I was in who had a new '05 Sportage. I asked him how he liked it-he said that it's nothing like the old Sportage and how they drive. I looked over at my '01 Sportage 4x4 and told him it was mine. He said the new ones are so comfortable to drive. His was an EX with automatic transmission. His was a very light green metallic color-it looked great. I asked him what Kia called the color and he couldn't come up with it.

Something interesting he noted about financing. He bought his at Lou Fusz Kia in St.Louis. They sold him a program where, if you pay an extra $20 a month, whenever you trade in again(for another Kia, of course!)they will waive any negative equity you may have at that time. Good program! So, on his '05 Sportage that he bought with 72 months of payments(same way I buy, my Scion tC or '05 Sportage purchase, whichever I decide to buy, will be 72 months of payments also)he will owe no negative upside-down equity at next trade-in time. I like that a lot and will probably get it if I choose an '05 Sportage as our next rig.

The Sportage loooked bold, aggressive and beautiful. Kia has done a fine job on this new pup.

• I all I was just curious if anyone has put an aftermarket radio in. Although the Stock radio is great and I don't have any problems except that I have an Alpine MP3 radio that I prefer. Can anyone point me to a place that might have an installation kit for an '05 sportage? I have looked at Best Buy, Ultimate Electronics, and googled it.
  • petec1petec1 Posts: 10
    Just read the largely favorable Car and Driver review online (http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=9396) noting that their only complaints were the seating (soft and tiring) and engine (underpowered). I have also read that Kia is already preparing a new engine for 2006. My own test drives confirm the observations in the article. That having been said, I wonder if I should delay purchase of a 2005 model and wait until next year's version, not knowing if the new engine?? will be available in time for the 2006 version. Absolutely LOVE this baby and am waiting to sell my current vehicle before purchase of the new Sportage, but I am intrigued by the prospect of a more powerful engine and hopefully, other refinements that I would suggest to Kia. The vehicle should have a telescoping steering wheel to get drivers of all sizes to find the "sweet spot" for their driving position and hopefully, a set of oversize outside mirrors to improve visibility. What say you about my observations , suggestions, and 2005 vs. 2006 quandry?? By the way, what have you heard about the 2006 model introduction date? Will it be late 2005 or later in 2006? Thanks for your thoughts!!
  • My V6 EX model ( canadian) has the MP3 I don't know if yours are not with MP3. Did you check your dealer? don't install outside of dealer, it can cost you big money because you'll lose your warantie! becare ;) ful!
    I don't understand auto "critics". My wife has a new Sportage (EX 4WD, V-6). I see nothing underpowered about this vehicle. Where are these people conducting their tests, Indy? I remarked last night that the Sportage quickly accelerates and gets way beyond the speed limit if you don't pay attention. I am here to say that even with four adults on board, this thing moves out.

The Sportage is also has a very quiet interior. The seats take some adjusting to find the correct position but the driver's adjusts 8 ways so there just has to be a comfortable place for you.

Kia will make some tweaks over the next few years but the Sportage is going to be a huge winner if:
    1. It is durable
    2. When crash tested by IIHS it has high scores
    3. Consumer Reports scores it high.

Art
  • ericf1ericf1 Posts: 54
    How does the Sportage go up against the 2006 Forester (new model)? They are about the same price, w/equivalent features.

I acutally like the Forester because it gets better gas milage and is not as big as a standard SUV.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,710
    For one thing, the Sportage has a lot more rear-seat room and cargo space. Also, I don't think ESC and side curtains are standard on the Forester--or even available? The Forester has the benefit of Subaru's long experience with AWD and a very good reliability history--the Sportage is unproven there.
    Our son and daughter-in-law had a new 1999 Forrester that was an absolute lemon. It soured all of us on Subaru. I realize that lemons can happen in any brand name but in this family the Japanese cars have had more problems than any others.

The Sportage is fine through almost 500 miles. When it has 10,000 the report card might change.
    Well, I've been on the phone and e-mailed Kia Canada again about the recall. To their credit, they do get back to me within 24-48 hours, so I'm not left wondering if they'll respond or not.

Trouble is, they keep saying the same thing:

"We cannot confirm if a recall will be applied to your vehicle until a recall has been officially released within Canada. Recalls are vehicle specific. If a recall is released on your 2005 Kia Sportage, you will receive written notification via mail."

So I told the person that Transport Canada told me the Consumer Affairs department in any car manufacturer is always the last to hear, so no wonder she hasn't heard anything. Earlier this month I had to direct her to the US recall information on the NHTSA site, and forwarded her an e-mail from Transport Canada indicating that Kia Canada had been in touch with THEM, saying that yes, there was a Canadian recall.

She just said she had not received any information on that.

Yeah, no kidding.

Why do they have to wait until something serious happens? I don't understand why it takes so long to get the info out there, when the fix is the same fix provided to the already-public recalls in Germany, England and the States? As far as I understand it, they simply take 90 minutes and download the software. Not rocket science.

I still don't know if all the reprogramming they did on my Sportage in Feb (see earlier posts) was for this problem or not. They then just replaced the computer. Am I driving a time bomb here?

I got rid of my '95 Voyager because it was starting to become unreliable with repairs. Now I'm back in the same boat?

Whew! Venting done! :sick:
  • ericf1ericf1 Posts: 54
    The 2006 Forester is completely updated for this year offering 173hp in the base model, and various improvements on the brakes, transmission, etc.

Not sure about the airbags though- it has head and torso side-airbags and scored "GOOD" on the side impact tests. Not bad even without curtains.

Price-wise it will be intersting to see how close the base-model '06 Forester comes to the AWD V6 Sportage. If it came down to it, I'd rather purchase a Subaru over a Kia.
  • dmuttdmutt Posts: 48
    Does the 05 Sportage have an outside temp. gage somewhere? Included in with the radio functions? Dealer could not find one. Was an EX model with the Luxury Pkg.
    Well, it's finally out in Canada. Recall Number TC2005102

See Transport Canada at http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/recalls/

"On certain vehicles, while cornering under conditions where Electronic Stability Program (ESP) activation may not be needed, a sensitive ESP may cause the engine to reduce power and the brake at one of the wheels to be applied without brake pedal application by the driver. This may cause the vehicle to slow and may affect the path that the vehicle is traveling. Brake application caused by inadvertent ESP activation may result in a crash. Correction: Dealers will reprogram the ESP Hydraulic Electronic Control Unit (HECU)."

So it's been out for at least a month in the rest of the world; why so long for Canada? Hopefully nobody has been hurt. I've fired off an e-mail to Kia Canada to see what they say about my Sportage. Also, my dealership promised to keep me informed. We'll see how long it takes for them to get back to me.

Still floors me that I've known about the Canadian recall for ages, and Kia Canada refused to say anything. We threatened to go to the media if nothing were done by May 15th. Doubt that had anything to do with the timing, but just glad it's out there before someone does get hurt.

Still love my car. Took it to Niagara Falls for a mum's weekend away with my best friend, and it drove like a charm (ESP off of course), and it handled the torrential rain/snow like a dream. Let's hope this is the last problem (fingers crossed).

Janet
  • Thanks for breaking the News about the Canadian recall for the ESP finally coming out. (a full month after the US recall notice). Now we need to see how long it takes for the dealers to be ready to fix it.
    (Note, my salesman claimed the condition had already been fixed before i took possession in March. But he had no proof or papers to back his claim....I think i will insist on documentation for this kind of a thing. If it turns out the fix was not yet done I will have to file a complaint against the salesman. To mislead someone on a safety recall is a serious issue IMO)

Have any of you US Sportage owners had the recall condition repaired yet ?
    I would like to hear any feedback on how it went, simple or a headache.

Still loving my sportage, It handles the endless rains of spring without any problems and on a long drive the reclining back seat is a great place for the passenger to nap.
    :)
  • mvls1mvls1 Posts: 32
    Had my sportage recall work done 2 weeks ago. It was very easy and took around 30-45 minutes total. The service department was good about getting me in and out with the least amount of inconvenience. The only thing is, I am not sure how you can tell if the new software was actually installed correctly and if the system is now working properly. Most computers have a way of checking what version of a program has been installed and is currently running on the system. Does anyone know of a way to verify that the system has been updated correctly?
    if your Sporty's driving fine, just trust them to have done the job right. There's probably no way for you to check to be sure, anyway.