Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gas Mileage on 150 Ford straight 6 cylinder,manual shift?

krhoneykrhoney Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Ford
Only getting around 10 or 11 miles per gallon but engine runs smooth as cotton.. only have 27,000 miles on it! What's wrong ? WHAT ARE OTHER GUYS GETTING????? CONFUSED! SHOULD I NOT BE GETTING 18 OR 19 ??

• pallypally Posts: 17
    Even a late model fuel injected straight six Ford with 5 spd. (IBELIEVE 96' was the last year)
     at best will get 14-15 city and 17-18 hwy. My 1982 six with auto got 12-14 with a one barrel carb.
  • bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
    I was getting 8-10 with a 5.0 V8 and a five speed on an 89 F250...found out later the #8 cyclender was dead. probably not helpful, but who knows just thought id toss it out for comparison sake.
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Posts: 493
    What year's the truck? May not be due for maintenance by the odometer reading, but stuff does wear out over time. As a comparison, I've got an F350, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Automatic with a V10 engine that gets the same mileage in city driving and it weighs 3 and a half tons unloaded. I tend to think something's wrong with your's. Aside from smooth idle, how's the rest of its performance?
  • yurian44yurian44 Posts: 25
    My old Dodge 1/2 ton truck with a slant/6 and 4 speed manual got 13 MPG average. Some of those older trucks got pretty poor mileage.
  • vidtechvidtech Posts: 212
    my 87 f150 has 4.9 I6 w/4sp manual.i average around 15-16 mpg with a combination of city and highway driving.
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    The old 300cid Ford six is a very smooth and torguey engine. They'll run for many miles when correctly maintained. I remember an acquaintance of mine that had one with over 200,000 miles and still ran pretty strong even though it burnt some oil. I've known a number of people that have had this engine in F150s over the years (never owned one myself) and they've all been in the 12-14 MPG range.

• timbrophytimbrophy Posts: 1
    I was pretty disapointed to learn I could never climb above 13 mpg's in my 5 speed manual trans F-150. I tried hard - long trips, hwy miles, slowing down, better shifting. Never above 13 mpg's! Oh well! I'm just about to purchase my second one anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Gas Mileage on 150 Ford straight 6 cylinder,manual shift? - Car Forums at