Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy TrailBlazer Transmission Problems

Comments

• robiedrobied Posts: 4
    My 2000 Trailblazer had to have the transmission replaced. When the problem initially happened, I was pulling into traffic so I was moving rather quickly - I heard a loud sound (thought it was a truck behind me) and all of a sudden the car was very sluggish when it shifted. I went for groceries and went to back up and had no reverse. Fortunately, I was able to drive over the parking lot dividers. I had my mechanic check it....he said it was definitely transmission trouble. I had it towed to a transmission shop and they gave me the actual parts that had to be replaced. One was the sun shield. That was the failure. The steel on the "teeth" was not hardened by the folks that made it - hence the failure.
  • fordfan_17fordfan_17 Posts: 175
    this transmission has been around since 1982 it predisessor was called a 700R4 its still the same trans internally (some changes but still same basic operation).The "Reaction Shell" aka sunshell has been a weak link in this trans since its inception in 1982. there is however a cure for this problem but it will never be offered by any dealership since it is an aftermarket part.here is the only symptom connected with "reaction shell" failure.
    trans will shift really late and will have 1st and 3rd only, 2nd 4th and rev will be missing.
    the cure for this problem is called "THE BEAST" and is a aftermarket hardened steel shell that is twice the thickness as the oem part.
    I install "the beast" in every one of these transmissions i rebuild to avoid further failures in this area
    the other weak link in this transmission is the 3-4 clutch pack I noticed a few posts concerning the trans shifting from 2nd and then high engine rpm's(neutraling). if you are experiencing this problem the trans will have to be rebuilt. this transmission unless very late model comes with 6 frictions in the 3-4 clutch pack there is some aftermarket clutch kits offered by raybestos that will increase the amount of frictions in this clutch pack to 9 I would also recommend that you have the 9 clutch pack installed if you have to have a rebuild. the later model (4L65E) comes with 7 frictions in the 3-4 but can also be upgraded to 9 frictions.

Harsh shifting: if you experience this problem in 1994 and up transmissions it is normally based upon a valvebody problem with the torque converter regulator valve wearing out and leaking by the valve. it normally will set a code 1870 (trans component slipping) if handled as soon as the problem shows up it can be remedied by a aftermarket fix offered by www.sonnax.com and involves valvebody removal (not a overhaul) and 1 valve being removed and bored out and replaced with a new valve.

todays new vehicles are supposedly built with fuel mileage and and overall economy based theries. what has actually happened is the manufacturers have gone using aluminum valvebodies and valves to "lighten the load" these valves and valve bodies wear severely creating all sorts of "oil circuit integrity" problems. please feel free to visit www.sonnax.com and have a look at just how many different fixes are offered for almost EVERY transmission on the road today. or drop by my carspace page for some more info on todays transmissions and thier problems
  • shooter81shooter81 Posts: 4
    Try putting it on the computer. Mine did the same thing and we had to replace both TCC soleniods. This requires tearing back into the trans.
  • shooter81shooter81 Posts: 4
    My chevy trailblazer LS 04' . The rear ac will not shut off even with the engine not running any remmides? I've allready pulled the fuse.
  • biglar25biglar25 Posts: 1
    I purchased my 02 Trailblazer w/79000 miles 2 months ago and all of a sudden while I was driving the "service engine soon" light came on so I decided to go to autozone and get it checked out and the diagnostic code states that it's the 1-2 shift solenoid valve performance. The car is perfectly driving normal and is starting normal and it seems like nothing is really wrong the car. So I decided to take the car to the transmission shop and they informed me that they would have to take the whole transmission out and take it apart to fix it which will be anywhere from $500-$1,800. So I decided to wait until I get some feedback to what I should do. I am so upset because I just purchased this TB 2 months ago and this happens. I don't have a warranty because I didn;t purchase the extended warranty. Can anybody tell me what should I do?
  • ticadooticadoo Posts: 40
    I have a 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer, LT, extended, that I bought in 2/08, with 60,000 miles on it, and have had nothing but PROBLEMS with it. It had a 3 month, 3,000 mile warranty, BUT it was in and out of the shop for weeks at a time less than a week after I purchased it.

Now, the transmission sounds like it is having a hard time shifting gears. Even though it was May before I got my vehicle back from the dealer/shop, they won't even consider having the transmission looked at, much less pay for it. I would really appreciate any suggestions/comments Thanks
  • lbrandy40lbrandy40 Posts: 2
    Well, I'm sorry to say that all of us that have experienced this problem has had to have our transmission rebuilt. I have a 2002 which I bought with 8 miles on it, which is in the shop right now getting redone. Apparently there is some part, called the sunshell, that is a really weak piece of crap. Which tends to break. I haven't heard anything from the garage that I took mine to last week, but they were not surprised. But since you have so much problems with yours I would really recommend that you give your dealership a good tongue lashing. Since they have had it so much out of the 3 months that you have had it. It really is up to them, but GM does give each dealership so much money a year, from what I hear, for this goodwill assistance program. But it is totally up to the dealership. If you have no luck there I would highly recommend you talking to a lawyer. Sorry to say. I wish you luck. I'll let everyone know what the garage says. Due to get mine back anyday now.
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    Have a look at post 320 if you haven't already. Some good info and advice there.
  • kathy29kathy29 Posts: 7
    I was wondering if you could tell me how to find out what transmission I have in my 02 Trailblazer? I guess I am trying to learn if my transmission is one day going to quit on me. I have about 16,000 miles on the Trailblazer (yes the mileage is correct).

I have taken my truck into dealership while under warranty due to my experiencing revving engine (high rpm) at start-up (hot or cold) then after about two blocks or so driving (very little power) the transmission then shifts and the truck runs normal. The dealership said they could not find the problem even after they sent me off twice with a box hooked up which was supposed to record the problem as I pushed buttons in sequences when the problem was happening. Dealership said both times that nothing was showing recorded on this box and they could not help me. Naturally now Aug 2008 I am out of warranty but the problem still happens intermittently. I appreciate your help and thanks for the post.
  • edjonzeedjonze Posts: 1
    I have an 03 TB with some type of shifting problem. It seems be starting off in second gear. From second gear and up it shifts fine.I put it in a low gear and it got stuck there for a while. Shifting to reverse is kind of harsh. Some one tell me what is going on
  • Don't do it, I have a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer and I just started having problems with my transmission. It shifts but jerks real hard when it does. Normally it does'nt start the jerking until I have driven it for a while. It's like once it warms up it starts jerking when pulling out from a stop sign, red light etc; We called the dealership yesterday eveing to see if we could disconnect the battery thinking it could be electronic. We were told it wouldn't hurt anything but he didn't think that would do any good. The warranty is up, he said to bring it in and they would put it on the diagnostic machine. My husband ask if they had a lot of trouble with the transmissions in these vehicles and with no straight answer he said they have had some. He also ask if we bought the vehicle from their dealership. My question is, if this is an on going issue with the Chevy Trailblazer can there not be a class action suit or a recall on this transmission they continue to install in the Chevy's? Thanks Gator Mom
  • We have a 2007 TB that has a Stabilitrak malfunction. While driving, the car applies the brakes...no warning...dry pavement...wet pavement...no curves...Cruise on or off!!! We are terrified to drive this vehicle. It is a lease and neither GM nor Graff Chevrolet in Okemos will do anything about it until GM issues a service bulletin. They do not even know why it is doing this so how can they release a service bulletin. They will not release us from the lease nor will they supply an alternative vehicle for the remaining term of the lease. No loaner either!!! The service manager, Matt, told me to be quiet when I told him how angry and scared I was. If there is some kind of legal help available, I sure would like to know. In the meantime, we tell everyone about how we have been treated and warn them to avoid GM at all costs. Our lives are literally at stake and they don't care.
    I might also add that our TB is not the only one that is doing this but it seems to be a BIG secret.
  • I don't what is happening, maybe it is the engine or transmission because when the car gets hot in the middle of the day than it would switch to a 4 gear and it would always be around 3,000 rpms when you go 65 or 70 just straight road.
    And when it is cold it works perfectly fine. 6 cyl 4.2
    Please help thank you.
  • Thanks for the reply. I think Chevy should issue a recall on the problem. I have found out that there several sensors in the trans that could cause the problem, and they are not cheap to replace. Ours is doing the same thing that yours is doing. So in that sence I think we should all fill a complaint with whom ever we need to. If you know who that is send me a message.
  • I would like to file a complaint with Chevy also...any body have the contact info?
  • i got my 2003 trailblazer in 04 and it was ok until last few months when i had to replace the fan clucth and right after that the transmission started shifting real hard from parking position. then two months ago it stopped working while i was on the freeway. the mechanic opened it up and found engine coolant had rusted some transmission parts. i had bought a third party warranty. but because the mechanic can't pinpoint the exact mechanical failure (don't know how the fluid got in there), the warranty company won't cover water intrusion. now we have to pay 3k out of pocket to rebuilt the transmission. but from seeing all kinds of horror stories online i wonder if it's worth the gamble to fix.
  • Trans seems to shake vehicle when in overdrive traveling 50 to 60 mph, can pull out of overdrive into 3rd and the shaking stops. It's like it's not locked up completely.
    Have not carried back to dealership as yet, planning to next week, Any ideas what this issue might be and how big a transmission problem is this.
    Thanks for your imput.
  • Oh my gosh!!! I have been looking for some info on the same thing.I also have a 02 Trailblazer and this past Wednesday(09.10.08) my transmission ...I can't even say what happened.I was on my way to work when I started to merge right and noticed smoke coming from what I thought was the car behind me.As, it turns out it was me!! I then noticed my car not shifting good at all.I pulled over and transmission fliud was leaking everywhere.I only have 53,000 miles on my car and it was a lease that I bought last October.I called my sales person back and even called the Chevy dealership to check for any recalls.My car is at my job...awaiting a tow to the dealership,now.I hope this isn't going to be too expensive or even worth the trouble. :sick: :lemon:
  • Hi kintra,

You posted your problem i.e Sep 12, 2008 (3:11 pm) talking about your smoking 02 Trailblazer...sorry to hear about it , but you replied to my post that has nothing to do with my 02 Trailblazer smoking. You may want to reply to the person or posting who's 02 Trailblazer was also smoking.

Watch those dealership's too! Many are know to lie and it sounds like your extended warranty provider may be being dishonest or did not completely get the low down on it all prior to denial of your claim.

I also learned that car dealerships get money from the manufacturers for the dealership to offer to customers what they call "complimentary service". This complimentary service is for say service for vehicles that are out of warranty and still experiencing problems that were there say prior to the warranty expiration and or major things like replacing transmissions even if a vehicle is say 5 years old. With this complimentary service the dealership will fix or have fixed the vehicle and will split the cost of the repair with the customer.
  • Fordfan_17 Where are you? Please respond to my reply!

First reply and question to you from kathy29 on Aug 1, 08 (4:51 pm). Have not heard from you since.

I still need to know how to determine what transmission is in my 02 Trailblazer. Once I find out what transmission I have in my 02 Trailblazer I want to do some research on this transmission. I appreciate your help.