Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy TrailBlazer Transmission Problems

Comments

• My wife bought an 04 TB new, it now has 98K miles and we have had very little problems with it. Last night we pulled out of a driveway and the engine over reved. I tried shifting but it wouldn't work. I was able to drop it into 1st and then into 2nd, but Drive and 3rd are gone. A former Chevy Service rep said with that many miles just replace the tran. Most tran problems I've had in the past come on over time, I've never had one happen this sudden. Any suggestions?
  • I came to work and tried to put my car in park; car wouldn't go in park, but I did get gear shift to go into 1 but now can't get it in any gear; it is almost like it is "not catching" something; can't turn car back on because can't put car in park to turn ignition on.....help!
  • I have never had a transflush on my 2005 Trailblazer and it has 128.000 miles on it, is it safe to do now?
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    I wouldn't flush it, only drain & remove the pan, change the filter and refill it.
  • One of the problems with the TB transmission, especially when it comes to not changing gears, is that the shift solenoids go bad. I bet most of the problems people have with TB transmissions is the shift solenoids. They cost around $25 and are easy to replace...but a little messy. All you have to do is take off the transmission drain pan cover (around 18 bolts) and drain the tranny. Make sure you have a new pan gasket and you might want a new transmission filter. You can get a gasket and filter (one kit) at Autozone for around $30. There is a shift solenoid for each change of gears, 1-2, 2-3, etc. My 2-3 went out, so I just replaced them all. Before a transmission repair shop tells you you need a new tranny, I would go to Autozone and get a free Check Engine Light diagnostics. I've read so many similar problems with the transmission, where people are going and having the entire transmission replaced for more than a $1000 dollars, when all they might need is a new shift solenoid for around a $150 repair if you don't do it yourself. Hope this helps.
  • About 2 weeks ago, my 2004 TB ( 4 wheel drive -75,000 miles) began to stay in low gear. Rpm's quite high before switching to the next gear. Not knowing much about transmissions, I figured I had better check the fluid. The dip stick was corroded off. There was no dip stick. Now what?
  • I have an 04 tb ext. About two weeks ago i got my oil changed, fluids topped off, tires rotated due to me going on a road trip. This past weekend I drove down to Dallas, TX. AS SOON as i hit dallas my service engine soon light came on. I wasnt at my destination yet maybe just 10 mins out, but the car was still running fine. After i got to the hotel I did not drive the car until about 3 hours later which is when the tranny would slip i guess and would not go above 30mph. The nxt day i took it to the closest autozone for the engine diagnostics and the code was something like P0894 transmission slipping; possible causes included low fluid level, contaminated fluid, failed TCC solenoid and poor electrical or whatever. I added transmission fluid to it. The guy said it takes 11 qts but i only put in 3 just to make it back to the hotel. I did not drive it for the rest of the day and the next day with still no intentions of driving it, i noticed that basically all the fluid i had put in it was on the ground. Not being from Dallas i looked online for local repair shops. I found one and based on the great reviews I called them told them my problem and had it towed to the shop the following day. Basically once there they put it on the computer and it stated transmission slipping. They changed the gaskets, fluid, seals etc and let it sit for a few hours. The leak had stopped so they attempted to drive it and it would do the same thing at about 40 mph. After that, the repair guy basically jumped into I need a new transmission. $2800 tranny w 1 yr warranty or $1800 with no warranty. Then he calls back and is like i can get one for $1550 w/ 1 yr warranty. With him jumping around on prices like that it then made me iffy on what he was telling me. Should i get more opinions? Bc reading comment #469 it could just be the solenoids. Any feedback would be great seeing how i dont have the money for a transmission

Not to mention im back in my home state while the car is still in Dallas smh
  • I stopped at a supposedly reputable transmission shop. he told me that slipping is a result of low fluids and it would not be my problem ( #470). I don't have any leakage. I thought that possibly I was low since I could not easily get into 2nd gear from the low gear. He said most likely my problem is the solenoid. The trans switches gears electronically. Also I just stuck a BBQ skewer down the tube where you check the trans fluid level and it is crusted up about 8" down. I did not poke any further. ??
  • I have a '04 TB, recently my service engine light came on. When I took it to a mechanic he found that one of the cylinders was very low on pressure. He stated that he had never seen this before and that the only way to fix this was to put in a new engine/rebuilt. If not, then he recommended I trade the vehicle in as soon as possible. I am disappointed, aside from this issue the vehicle is in excellent condition. Is there anything that can be done besides the two options I was given? I can't afford a new car nor the cost of replacing an engine. Someone please help!!!!!!!
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    I would get another opinion. There's other reasons a cylinder can be low on pressure than just "needing a new engine". A spark plug could be loose, you could have a burnt or damaged valve, etc. I'm not saying that the end result will be different, but the root problem should be determined first.
  • did you find the problem. i have a 05 trailblazer with the same problem but when i put it into nutral it goes forward.
  • u do not have to replace ur engine, conveniently thats how they would make the most money. they dont want to trouble shoot the problem! get a second opinion! maybe a bad piston ring valve problem! try a small shop!
  • hey...its to my understanding that these motors im assuming 4.2 il have variable valve timing. which means you get one little quark in your timing and messes the whole thing up....motors with this timing will start to actually drop cylinder one at a time till the issue is resolved. so quick q's how many miles and have you had any internal maintenance done to your motor ie..timing chain
  • gina37gina37 Posts: 2
    edited March 2011
    Below is the complaint (personal contact info removed) I sent into Chevrolet's website on 3/6/11 under their customer service contact section. Up until yesterday morning they had not responded. I had to call the 800 # after we dropped TrailBlazer of at the dealership. Still waiting to hear if it is the same problem, but it certainly feels like it. Last time they offered nothing towards repairs so I hope they stand behind their product this time. (After all didn't the tax payers stand behind them via a large bail out?) If not, I will pool all resources at my disposal to try and get GM to recall these unsafe/unreliable parts. Maybe a class action suit like another member posted will be necessary...?

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT
    2003 Chevy Silverado

In December of 2007 the Silverado would not go into reverse. Parts 24224999 valve assembly, 24221142 plate PKG, 24208576 FLTR kit were replaced at Pellegrino Chevy in Westville, NJ. Repairs completed on 12/8/06. The mileage was 29,578. Was covered under extended warranty we bought-out of pocket costs $0.00
    In December of 2007 the transmission was slipping badly on the TrailBlazer. It seemed unable to go into third gear. Parts 24224997 valve assembly, 24220200 F-plate, 24221350 GSKT kit and 24208576 FLTR kit were replaced at Pellegrino Chevy on 12/21/07. The mileage was 84,568. Out of pocket expense $1087.59!! Appears to be same exact problem. Called Chevy and complained. Received GM Loyalty certificate good until February of 2009 towards the purchase of a new GM. Still have certificate as our Chevy trucks were still quite new to us and we were NOT interested in buying a new vehicle. Fast forward to today. The transmission has slipped again on the TrailBlazer. It is Sunday and I was entering a highway trying to get up to 50 miles an hour, with my 14 year old son with me, when the engine just started really revving and the truck was barely accelerating. This is seriously unsafe and if it does turn out to be the same problem I will be most unhappy. We could have been rear-ended! The TrailBlazer only has 104,000 miles and change so it made it just about 20,000 miles for the tranny to fail again. I would really like to hear directly from a customer service rep before I put it into the shop-again. There is nothing I can do with it on a Sunday afternoon anyway.
    Thank you in advance for any and all help,
    Gina and John S., loyal GM owners.
    P.S. I'm glad I have a 1991 Camaro as a back up vehicle or I would end up renting a car and/or missing work.
  • traillambtraillamb Posts: 1
    hey your seems like it will really help mine 2-3 shift solenoid just went out about a week ago and i will be changing it i will most likely change them all but how do you tell them apart. i.e. which one is which?
  • cliffemcliffem Posts: 1
    We had just gotten on the interestate yesterday morning when something happened to the balzers transmission. It sounded as if it was in neutral with the gas being reved. We got off the next exit and tried to put it into a gear and it would not go into any gear nor 4 wheel drive. It never gave a warning that anything was going wrong. No slipping, no lights, no sounds, NOTHING. Anyone have any clues as to what this might be? Someone told us we need a whole new transmission, someone said it could be a clogged filter.
  • afuller2afuller2 Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Trailblazer and was just told the same thing. My Engine light came on, I first requested an on demand diagnostic from onstar who stated that my engine misfired and my truck indicates there is an issue with cylinder #1. When I took it into the mechanic he stated that the pressure was low on cylinder #1 and I would have to replace my engine. This is crazy, my truck is not old and it only has 67,000 miles. I am greatly disappointed. Are there any other options?
  • I had same thing happen can you tell me what it is??
  • All that should be under warranty, I have a 2007 Trail Blazer i have a 100,000 mile warranty on mine
  • granpoobagranpooba Posts: 2
    edited December 2011
    98,9000 miles and my transmission just failed, on my 2002 TrailBlazer LTZ. All that I had was DRIVE and PARK, with no reverse or other lower drive gears. Dealership said they could get me in, but it would be a week. They added that it sounded serious and would probably need a new transmission. All that I had were $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ signs dancing in my head.

Went to a local transmission repair shop, explained the problem and they stated that they knew exactly what the problem was as it was the SUN ring ( gear ). They stated that they could install a rebuilt transmission with a years warranty for $1,750. Knowing our local Chevy dealership, I could only imagine seeing a bill for over $3,000. As, they have stuck it to me before.

Transmission shop took in my Blazer that afternoon and I had it back the next morning. So, another of many repairs to my Blazer has been completed.

BUT !! Now I need to add another message to all you other folks that have paid dealerships to replace your FUEL PUMP MODULE. Hate to have to say this, but you were not very smart !
    General Motors has known of this problem for many years and it is a technical recall. Years ago I received a letter from them stating that if you owned a 2002 Blazer and lived in certain states, the FUEL PUMP MODULE's were rusting and would be replaced FREE of any CHARGES at your local Chevy dealerships.

Only way I found out that mine was rusting and leaking is that I was able to smell raw gas fumes at the rear or on the sides of the vehicle at the rear.

I took the vehicle to my dealership and the Fuel Pump Module in the tank was rusting and leaking gas. I showed them the letter from GM and everything was replaced free of charge.

Thus, if you are having this same fuel pump problem, be aware that GM is supposed to cover the cost of repairs. If you have had this problem and paid for it out of your own pocket, I would definitely be going back to your dealership and demanding my money back for the repair.

Now that you ALL know ............ Good LUCK !! :)