Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy TrailBlazer Transmission Problems

1181920212224»

Comments

• Did you ever find out what the problem was? We are experiencing the same thing with our trailblazer and just replaced the transmission and it is still doing the same thing. I would love to know what was causing your problem.
  • I traded my balzer before it actually went bad, let the dealership worry about it. when i traded it they gave me a nice trade in offer they said it was in very good condition, all I can say is they did not drive it so they don't know anything.
  • My wife drives our 2004 TB and last week on her way to work stopped. What it is doing is it is not engaging in any gear. We checked the fluids and all was fine. Our son is a new mechanic and he came and looked at it and determinded that it needed a new transmission. So found one and we replaced it yestreday and we are still having the same problems. My question at this point is are there any eletronic issuse taht could effect the operation of the transmission? The vehicle has 147,000 miles on it. Any imput would greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • I have a 2008 Trailblazer with 100,000 miles, it started making a slight whinning noise, and lost all gears forward and reverse just revs, if you turn the key off wait a minute, start it, all the gears are there and work good for a coulple of minutes, then they all go out again, when it sits there at idle it almost sounds the the hydro pump is sucking some air, anyone got any ideas?????? Fluid is clean and full
  • Evidently there is a problem with the fan clutch that messes with the circuitry of the tranny. Check back on page 43 or so. They describe the same problem.
  • Another transmission problem. 2005 Trailblazer will not shift into 4th gear. All other gears shift fine. Tranny shop is stumped. No metal in pan and no trouble codes. Computer is sending the command to shift but it's not happening. Any ideas?
  • I can attest to the fan clutch issue. Had my tranny rebuilt on my 2003 with no results. Checked computer codes for check engine light and it showed fan clutch. New fan clutch solved the problem.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    dbaker761,

Unfortunately I don't have any technical resources to help you troubleshoot this. However, if you have any specific technical questions I can ask another department for any insight they'd be able to offer (in addition to your question, please include the last 8 of your VIN).

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • lgr420lgr420 Posts: 1
    on an 03 trailblazer reverse just wines, how do u know if its the fan clutch or the solinoide or the sun gear thing. thanks
  • rhonsrhons Posts: 1
    im looking to buy this suv off this guy he tells me that it will run and drive but after a few miles it wont drive no more he says it is a sensor or something i need to know if there is more then that wrong with these transmission :confuse:
  • It's been so long ago I don't remember what exactly the problem is but it was not worth the repair - it was major. I had exact same issue and it gets progressively worse. We tried several things via dealer and no go. Finally learned its a part that they used at this time of inferior quality - and cost of fix was more than value of the "truck". And that was 4 or 5 years ago.
  • dwjlanierdwjlanier Posts: 1
    I am having an issue similar to many on this forum where my TB doesn't shift from 2nd to 3rd. I even tried the 1-2-3 drives on my stick and the 3 will not engage. Checked the fluid level, that is fine. I fear the cost of getting the trans rebuilt, lol. Are there any bulletins or advice you might have on this issue? The last 8 of my VIN are: 62286302. I have around 136K miles on it.
  • I just replaced the automatic transmission on my 2003 Chevy Trailblazer (4.2 I6) with a rebuilt one I bought from a reputable transmission shop in Denver. I do realize that even a rebuilt tranny has the potential for problems but before I yank out the rebuilt transmission out I need some help troubleshooting - PLEASE.

Problem: The transmission won't fully engage in drive and does not engage at all in any other gear (R, 3, 2, 1).

I will preface this by saying I have checked, double checked and checked again, at least 6 more times, all of my connection including oil cooling lines, electrical/wiring, transmission fluid while in park/idling and everything else I can think of.

Here is the situation...

The transmission and transfer case was removed from the engine block as a single unit. NOTE: It was a cumbersome and heavy SOB so if you are a DIY'er, like myself, I would highly recommend you remove the transfer case first then the transmission. The torque converter was NOT removed.

The removal and replacement of the transmission and transfer case was uneventful. Once everything was put back together, I filled it with 11 quarts of Dex VI (recommended by many on this forum) that I bought ($$$ - practically had to finance) from Chevy dealership. The capacity for the torque converter is 6 quarts and the pan is 5 quarts. I then started the car and let it idle while I checked the transmission fluid level. It was 6" up the dipstick so I assumed two things: #1: Either the torque converter was already full (since I never removed and drained it) and I overfilled the system, OR #2: The fluid didn't have a chance to circulate through the system. To test assumption #2 I shifted through the different "gears" (R, N, D, 3, 2, 1) while idling and in doing so I realized the car would not move in any gear. I left it in each gear for 10 seconds and shifted through all gears at least 5 times - to no avail.

The next morning, I jacked the car back up to check, yet again, my connections. I also tried starting the car, checking the (overfilled) fluid, and then tried putting the car in the different gears - while it was up on the jack stands. I noticed when the car was in "Drive" and I pressed on the gas pedal the rear tires would turn but only if I really accelerated. There was clearly no power to the rear end but it did have some (very little) power. None of the other gears would cause the rear tires to turn.

I went and removed approximately 5 - 6 quarts of transmission fluid from the pan. I then re-started the car, checked the dipstick and noticed the level was still high (3" up the stick) and then shifted the transmission through the different gears to see if the tires would turn. No change - When in Drive, the rear tires would turn slowly when accelerating. Otherwise - nada, nothing.

I am at a complete loss and cannot figure out what I am overlooking. It seems that fluid is not circulating but I don't know why. What steps do you recommend I take in troubleshooting this mystery?

Some of my thoughts are:

- Reset transmission?
    - Vacuum leak?
    - Bad electrical connection?
    - Too much fluid?
    - Wrong fluid type?
    - Bad transmission?
    - Take it to the shop to check codes?
    - Donate the car to charity?

Thank you, in advance, for your help.
  • cg2642cg2642 Posts: 1
    I am having similar problems I have over 200,000 miles and it has been a good car other than oxygen sensor up til this point but my car will drive fine for a min or so then as you try to give it gas it will not engage After this happens you turn car off for about 30 sec then turn on and it will go for another min fine and then do same thing I am thinking it the trans sensors but not sure can anyone make suggestions to what they think this might be?
    Thanks so much for input
  • hello, same problems, did u find a fix... thanks for your reply
  • just started up a 2007 same problem, did you get a fix for yours
  • HI! This exact same thins is wrong with my 2005 TB. Did u find a solution?
  • It's been a while now, but I know we never fixed it and it got progressively worse. They told me that in those models Chevy used a cheap or bad transmission and the whole tranny would need replacing. It was a company car and they got me a new one rather than repair.
  • poolsadiepoolsadie Posts: 1

I have been told my transmission is done and $3800 for new one. Looking for thoughts - was driving normally (no previous issues with revving, or locking etc). Suddenly revving power just stopped, pulled to the side of road - slowly. Engine runs fine, and engine revs when pressing the accelerator but it just doesnt go anywhere??