Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy TrailBlazer Transmission Problems

Comments

• I've noticed that most of the problems have been with 03 or earlier models. Has anyone besides me had problems with a more recent model. First they told me it was misfiring because of a shorted spark plug. Ok I can believe that. Now 3 weeks later the transmission isn't shifting into gear at all. They haven't told me exactly what's wrong or what is going on at all. But after reading all of this information I'm concerned that it could be unsafe for my fiance to be driving it at all.
  • my husband and i have an 02 envoy that we bought about a year and a half ago used..We are very good to our vehicles, don't run them hard and get all the routine maintance done on it...Last saturday without warning (we would have notice) or transmission gave out. We where at a light and this winning noise came from under the hood so had it towed and when the mechanic looked at it the car wouldn't go in reverse. $1400 and a new transmission later GM is telling us that it can't help us even though they admit that it was due to a manufactures flaw that is in all there transmissions but unfortunetly for us...ours was one of the ones that it went BAD in..However, if we would like to purchase a new vehicle they would be happy to help us..After telling them what they could do wtih there new vehicle and my Envoy. My husband and i are buying a new ar this weekend. You can bet that it won't be a gm...amyone else have this issue with there car? :lemon:
  • Well....Another day, another faulty transmission. My 2002 LT Tranny dumped my entire amount of transmission fluid last night at 55K miles. Can you believe that?? I've never had a problem like this, is it normal for a car to lose a transmission at 55K miles????? Some much for GM Quality. Fortunately, I have an extended warrenty that is going to cover this, but I'd like to know if this is normal or others with the same experience. Thanks!
  • stixstix Posts: 1
    I think this problem is with alot of gm makes we have a 02 gmc sierra when the truck had 1300 miles we were driving down the road and it made that same high pitched whirring sound lt was covered that was about a two years ago the truck has 48000 now and it just happened again now the dealer doesn't want to honer the lifetime repair warranty they verified its the same defective part its called the sunshell there telling me about 2000 dollars to repair I am telling them they can keep the piece of crap.
  • bobbikbobbik Posts: 1
    Purchased an 02 used TB two months ago with 30K miles. Now has 39,800 miles. Yesterday when trying to pull away after a fill up, there was no reverse, but a whole lotta rev. According to the local transmission rebuild shop, this is a common problem. They rebuild these problem GM trans with a "special part" so it doesn't break again. Called the dealership for repair options. Used car manager will call back -- they are checking on it. Wonder how long that will take. :lemon:
  • This really sounds like there is something wrong with the transmissions in the trailblazers. I just had the same thing to happen to me on mine. I now have only
    1 and 2nd gears. no warning at all. someone needs to notify GM. Let me know what happened. I have to try to get mine fixed now. :lemon:
  • Call GM customer service and they will help you out. The dealership you took your car to sucks.

Print out these posts and tell them to order a sun gear. That is what I did and GM gave me the same deal as it would have been under warranty.

Good Luck
  • I was going to dump my trailblazer for another auto and after driving them all I can tell you from BMW, Mercedes, to Dodge, Chevy, and ford, they are ALL JUNK. The best car I drove was a Toyota Avalon but that car will not be on the road in thirty years.

Notice when you are in traffic on a worm day with the A/C on your trailblazer will heat up to 225 degrees? I have talked to GM about that and they say their motors are designed to run at 245. Well if they want to say that then fine but their transmission can't run that hot and poof there goes your sun gear.

I do not believe the engineers can build a good running car today. The best thing the car industry could do at this point is use the designs from the engineers that are long gone now.

GM, want to fix your trans problem? Go back to the Turbo 400 Trans and get the computer chips out of the transmissions and you will have it fixed.

Your current transmissions can not handle heat or towing unless they are diesel trucks and that is only because you had the insight to use Allison Transmission knowing that the transmissions that you build could never hold up the torque of the diesel motors. well unfortunately for your customers the SUVs can not hold up either.

I will take cars form the 50s and 60s from now on and build my own cars with aftermarket parts. It is to bad everyone can not do that because we are to the point now that is the only way to get a well engineered car.
  • mlynn2mlynn2 Posts: 1
    My 2005 Trailblazer started shifting with a hard thump from 1st to 2nd before I had 2500 miles on it. It is now in the shop and they can't fix it. The dealership is trying to get GM to replace the transmission. I wish I had read this board before I bought it.
  • surbansurban Posts: 1
    I have an 02 TB. It makes a clunking noise when it shifts gears. It is loud from 1st to 2nd, but gets quieter between 2nd and 3rd and 3rd and 4th. It was low on fluid so I filled it up hoping that would solve the problem. No luck! Any Ideas? Possible U joint problem?
  • I am having trouble shifting my 2002 GMC Envoy out of park. The selenoid is firing (thanks msg #14638 and #16932). When I turn the vehicle off the key does not go into the lock position and the shift button still operates. In order to get my key out I have to turn the key to the on position and back again. It then goes into lock, my key comes out and the shift button is locked. However, when I start the vehicle the shift button will not release, even though selenoid is firing. If I push forward and up on the shifter, the button will depress. Any ideas? Anyone else having this problem?
  • I have a '04 Trailblazer that has just been declared a lemon by the TX Dept of Transportation. They have ordered GM to repurchase it. I know of the problem that GM says is Normal . I had 2 drive shafts replaced. The driveshaft is an aluminum tube and resonates every noise from the drive line. I tried to tell them there was more wrong than that. They insisted it was normal. I won my Lemon Law case on a different issue though.
  • I have a 2004 Trailblazer EXT LT V8 model, and am having some issues with the transmission. Yesterday when I started up the car, it was reving higher than it should have, and it really didnt have much torque. On the highway I had problems getting enough power to pass people. It was towed yesterday by the chevy dealer to the dealership, and at the dealership the battery died, and the computer completely reset, any idea what is with that? And the dealership called and said they found a black box that when driving when u move it, the transmission goes either back to normal or goes to reving high, like the bands are slipping, and also they have no idea what it is. Our trailblazer only has 28000 miles on it. Any ideas about

A. The mysterious black box
    B. The not enough power
    C. The battery dying and the computer resetting

Thanks
    All I can say is thank god that its still under full warrenty.
  • our whole trailblazer issue is solved, it was a bad ignition switch, that was the whole problem...I hope that helps some people with the same problems
  • I PURCHESED A 2005 TB IN JULY I HAVE NOW BROGHT MY TRUCK IN FOR THE SECOND TIME... WHEN DRIVING A SHORT DISTANCE THE TRUCK WOULD FAIL TO UPSHIFT AND THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WOULD COME ON.. THE FIRST TIME I BROUGHT IT IN THEY SAID NOTHING WAS WRONG W IT NOW THE ARE FINALLY SAYING THE SHIFTER IS FAILING TO UPSHIFT DOESN ANYONE KNOW IF THEY ARE DOING ANYTHING ABOUT THIS SICE I SEE IM NOT THE ONLY ONE W THIS PROBLEM?? :lemon:
  • I have a 95 chevy blazer s/10 model. The transmission is bad. I am living in Germany and am wondering if someone could help me cross reference the transmision. Is there another chevy vehicle that would use this same tranmission? It is a 95 Chevy Blazer S/10 model v/6 with an automatic transmission.

Thanks
  • I think someone in a past post had asked this question, but I didn't see any direct answer in reviewing the posts. Is there any preventitive measures to help prolong or avoid this component failure? If you change the trans fluid does the "better lubrication" of new fluid help or no? I am not familiar with this part, what exactly does it do/function? My wife told me a few days ago that she was going up a hill and she thought she was pressing the gas a good amount but "it wasn't going anywhere...like it lost power". Happened twice. It hasn't reoccurred recently to my knowledge and when I drive the truck I have not experienced any slippage or high rpm spurts, but I suspect the problem could be starting...has 50K on it. The vehicle is leased for 60k and wondering if it will hold out till then or anything helpful I can do (like new fluid) until return time.
    Thanks. :confuse:
  • hardhawkhardhawk Posts: 702
    Great Question! I will be anxious to hear any responses too. I still have the shudder & bump when at a stop light when the car is cold. I have almost 51,000 miles on my 2002 Envoy in 4 yrs and 4 months. Other than this issue, which is intermittant, still love the vehicle.
  • tomg3tomg3 Posts: 1
    When I tried to use AWD nothing happened. Simultaneously, the "Check AWD" warning lite came on. On Star couldn't provide any insight. I have not experienced any trans issues prior to this occurance. After reading several postings I have not noticed any that mention a failure to shift into AWD (or 4WD). Any insights as to what I might be in for when it gets into the shop?
  • I have a 2003 Trailblazer EXT that nearly ran me over yesterday when it began rolling backwards down my driveway while in park. I was able to open the front door and turn the steering wheel to avoid a collision with another vehicle across the street. I haven't a clue why it rolled or why I was able to steer the truck. I thought the steering wheel should have locked. Anyone else out there ever hear of that before...thanx.
  • I am having a similar problem with my 2002 Envoy. Sometimes when I am in 2WD, it will shift into neutral without me shifting. I have to pull over and either turn the car off and restart or put the car into 4HI. I have an appt at the dealership next week but my local mechanic says it might be one of the following- a problem with the transfer case motor, a problem with the switch on the dash, or the computer may need to be reprogramed. I do a lot of highway driving and I have to drive in 4HI to ensure nothing shifts while I am driving.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Posts: 702
    My switch had a mind of its own some time back. Replaced the switch and no further problems.
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    I don't know what happened in your specific case to cause it not to lock in park, but this is a good example of why you should always set the parking brake for safety.
  • I have a 2005 chevy trailblazer and at around 40,000 miles it startted making a "whining" noise in the front driver side. someone said it could be the wheal bearing but it doesnt seem like it is since it still runs and i think the bearing would have seized up by now. does any one thinnk it could be the cv axle? any help!!?? thanks
  • could the addition of an after market transmission cooler help solve the problems . seems like most of the problems are caused by heat .. i just bought a o5 tb new and have 600 miles on it with no problems yet . and after reading this i am going to add a after market cooler and extend my warranity
  • I have a 2002 Trail blazer LS. Just recently it started a high pitch whine and we could not get it to drive over 50 mph. no longer has any umph any suggestions???
  • I brought my Envoy to the dealership and they found the problem. It was the encoder motor censor. He said it wasnt reading the way it should and it would hang up. Hopefully the problem is fixed!
  • gmfangmfan Posts: 188
    Wow, you are putting the miles on yours. I thought I was putting a lot of miles on mine (2002 TB with 85,000 mi). In my experinces, bearings will not "whine", they will make a "growling" noise that gets worse over time. Have you hit a curb or colvert very hard recently? Try wiggling your tires when in parked on a level service. If the right front has more play than the others, then it could be the bearing. Or you could try driving near a wall or have a friend drive next to you with the windows rolled down to see if it is making noise outside the vehicle. Let us know.

If your bearing seized your wheel will probably have fallen off!
  • I received a recall from GM for this speific problem with my 02TB. At the dealer, they told me they needed to calibrate the transmission?
  • I miss typed, its a 2004 but i do have a lot of miles on it (70,000)! The noise is coming from the front by the wheel and its not a high pitch noise but rather a low tone groan. It starts faint and then as I pick up speed, it gets louder. I just took off the wheels and gave everything a visual check and it seems fine, theres no metal shavings from anything grinding and things seem greased up. The noise changes as i turn the wheel so that makes me think that it has something to do with a joint in the front end and not the bearing because the bearing is always still.