Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Saab 9-2X

Comments

• Options
    harlequin1971harlequin1971 Member Posts: 278
    Lenny Kravitz' best friends as in "they know important people" or at least like to pretend that they do?

or

Lenny Kravitz' best friends as in stupid/insipid as Lenny Kravitz' is? Just curious as to what you meant. (he really is one of the dumbest major rock stars to come along.. not that I wouldn't want to be him though. Intelligence doesn't matter when you look that good. :P )

I was thinking more the first than the second. Dressed trendy, look like rock stars and have never had to wonder if buying another CD is gonna mean that the rent check bounces.

But both work in their own ways. :)

As for the on-topic. I think we are all in a holding pattern until some owners start coming back and posting notes. We talked over the articles, a few have made it out to drive. Now we have dead space to fill until some owners start showing to give their insights...hence the filler.

Personally, I don't mind a little OTD as long as the insults stay mild. :)

My current thoughts have me thinking that for $3k, you might be better off buying the Subie and hiring a stereo shop to re-floor the car with Dynamat, or do it yourself. But I understand that even the engine sounds a bit different in the Saab "tune" - I would be happy with either...not likely to buy either at this point, as I am now firmly in the "wait-and-see" pool.
  • Options
    saab9xsaab9x Member Posts: 12
    can somebody help me im in the market for a car and need some help/opinions im either going for a 2005 mini cooper s or a saab 9-2x!!!

__deletia__

//

if one doesn't need the "extra" room
    or the awd, one should choose the
    mcs (mini cooper s). on second
    thought, one should just choose the
    mcs, anyway; for one thing, it doesn't
    try to be something else.

the mini is distinctive. it's a great-
    looking car that pays attention to
    _details_. also, it's a "driver's car."

the 9-2x has no soul, character, or
    personality; other than, unfortunate-
    ly, what subaru has managed to create.
    this "differentiation" business (bet-
    ter fabric, quieter engine, better
    audio (perhaps?), yada-yada-yada) is
    not really worthy of much "thrust."
    rather, how does it compare to its
    heritage? how does it compare to
    its "bretheren?" ...doesn't really
    belong in the "family." even saab,
    amazingly, was mentioning, before
    the 9-2x was ever released, that the
    next generation 9-2x will have more
    "differentiation." well, that's an
    "admission of guilt" in my book.

n.b. if you test drive a mini, you may
    not be interested in testing a 9-2x.

i still wouldn't get a 9-2x even if i
    _were_ a "soccer-mom," _arguably_
    the "target audience."

kthxbye.

b.

//
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    C'mon now, boxer engines have TONS of character.

The Mini uses an engine built in Brazil at a Chrysler plant. And it's German designed.

You call that soul?

If the two cars drove by and you were blind folded so you could only hear the engine, you might think the Mini was...well, name any econobox.

The boxer engine is distinctice and has character, you could pick it out easily.

The Mini is fun, don't get me wrong, but besides the unreliability there's not much British about it.

-juice
  • Options
    thanks for the defense. I would have to agree on all points and add a few.

I loved the Mini. So much that I actually interviewed for a job to go and sell them...didn't work out. (I think I scored too high on the integrity test to be a car salesman.)

Anyway, the Mini has some great things about it, and some bad. You get distinctive styling, high quality parts pulled from BMW's 3-series parts bin. You get lots of features that just don't exist on many cars and you get a boutique car that has a warranty and is improving all the time. You also get a car that has a short history of having a fair share of gremlins, like shift linkages that break away after 15k miles. You also get a car that is short on cargo capacity and is already being considered yesterday's news among the never satisfied fashionistas.

So, if you wanted the Mini for max "appeal" you really needed it a year ago.

The 9-2X, OTOH, will never be the cute car that Mini is. It will not set any benchmarks for style or interior design. It IS a Japanese-made, pseudo-Swedish car. But, the engine is sound (so much so that Porsche 356 kit-car makers are using them to power their trophy cars), the transmission is AWD and can be an asset in all but the most perfect weathers. The turbo gushes with power. You get reliability and a package that has never been a media darling, but has always been respected and even earned the Consumer Reports' recommendations. (Subaru Impreza)

The Mini will probably have better resale and has loads of character...but the 9-2X may be a more practical version of a driver's car. I guess it depends on how sharp your knives need to be. I think the 9-2x Aero is the civil man's sports wagon...an alternative to the Lexus IS300 Sportwagon, or a more purposeful VW Jetta Wagon with the VR6 engine.

I think the Mini and the 9-2X are a bit too different to make direct comparisons. Like comparing the 9-2X to a Miata. Which one should I buy? :)
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    You obviously have never driven a WRX.

Bob
  • Options
    Note: I'm from Brazil so I'm officially allowed to critize the Mini powertrain's reliability (or lack thereof). ;-)

The Mini is a 2+2, really. When I sat in the front seat it almost touched the rear, there was zero legroom basically. I couldn't even fit a child seat behind me so no kids either.

It's just not practical. I own a Miata, cars like this can be a ball, just make sure you have a 2nd car for the real duties.

9-2x can serve a small family, and no it's definitely not soccer moms buying them, just look at all the bikes/skis/kayaks on all those roof racks.

-juice
  • Options
    claydj2claydj2 Member Posts: 10
    ...anyone have an idea as to when Edmunds will be posting their review of the 2X?
  • Options
    buddhabmanbuddhabman Member Posts: 252
    Such a pity these are the two cars you have to pick through. ;-) You can't go wrong for fun drivers. Both will be tons of fun. You give up Aero tunability and a bunch of space with the Mini though. The Aero would be far more practical in a pinch for hauling or carrying things. But chicks dig the Mini;-)
  • Options
    aldan93aldan93 Member Posts: 202
    How can you compare an all wheel drive car to a 2 wheel dive car? I live in the snow belt, we get 90-110" of snow a year, lets compare the mini VS. the 9-2 when there is 12-36" of snow on the road!!! You will be in a ditch or still stuck in 1st gear with the mini. I will be cutting through with snow on the roof to get my coffee at Tim Hortons, did I mention living on the edge around turns and passing when you should not!!! The love of driving!
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    How can you compare an all wheel drive car to a 2 wheel dive car?

easy. the mini is FWD. I have both at home and there has been nothing my FWD couldn't handle that my AWD could (except when the tires on my FWD were near bald).

did I mention living on the edge around turns and passing when you should not

you'll learn one of these days the hard way that AWD just means all 4 tires will be spinning for traction when you execute a poorly thought out maneuver.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    You might have had better tires on your FWD vehicle.

You have nearly double the available traction during acceleration, basically.

-juice
  • Options
    wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    12-36" of snow on the road?

Horsefeathers.

Unless it's plowed, neither of these candidates leaves the garage. And yeah, AWD doesn't save the bacon, just helps it cook better in the right set of circumstances...
  • Options
    I think the WRX has around 6" of clearance, so it'll high-center on a foot of snow. That stuff will only pack down so much.

The Forester and Outback have about as much clearance as most trucks, so those will do a lot better, especially on frequented roads.

Subies are a hoot in the snow, though.

-juice
  • Options
    Colonel Sherman T. Potter

Horse Hockey

...that cracked me up. I think I need more coffee.

As for the AWD/FWD comparison. AWD will get you going a little better in the snows...but when the road is clean, nothing has that go-Kart, riding on rails driving experience like a Mini...until you get up to the new Elise.

Of course - these opinions are just from what I have read. :)

I don't think the Mini and 9-2X are similar cars in mission or execution - just possibly in price and grin factor. Obviously, the Mini wins all the glamour categories and might hold its own on performance. But the 9-2X is like a prize athelete in an Armani Suit. Still a brute, still lithe and capable, but dressed for dinner.

That is the early reports, anyway.

I wouldn't mind either. But I could live easier with the 9-2X.
  • Options
    The 9-2x makes a better primary car in almost every way.

The Cooper S would make an fun 2nd vehicle, though. I currently have a Miata for that and it's a hoot. It too would be impractical as a primary vehicle.

In the snow, I'm not even worried about my traction, I'm worried about all the soccer moms out there driving Excursions while they apply makeup and/or discipline their kids. In a car that small you are a sitting duck just asking to get smashed.

-juice
  • Options
    yes, AWD will help you get going. But you know as well as I do that getting going in the rough stuff is the easy part, its stopping and turning where the accidents occur.

Both vehicles have decent tires, I was trying to point out that I've NEVER gotten stuck with my FWD.

As far as the 9-2 and the Mini when it comes to facing off against an excursion, it really won't matter much which one you are in.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    9-2 has probably 50% more mass, so your odds are a little better against bigger cars.

In snow emergencies in my area, you're not even allowed to be on the roads unless you have AWD or 4WD. We've had a few of those the last couple of years.

But really you need that and ground clearance. Plus tires, of course.

-juice
  • Options
    My Jeep CJ7 and my Dodge pickup both had much more mass than my Volvo, but I'll give you one guess which one I'd prefer to be in come accident time (and I've had accidents with all 3, so this isn't a guess on my part). Its not always about who is bigger or heavier.

• Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I guess it's a combination of mass and how well the structure and safety features work.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    how and where you are hit, and at what speed. Virtually no two accidents are identical.

Bob
  • Options
    Hey you live in NJ, I live in the hills south of Buffalo, near Ski-Slopes, did it snow in NJ last year? I know what is better in the snow, trust me, down shifting with AWD on my steep hill, is awesome, 2wd start saying your prayers. I guess, its like people in Atlanta, or Florida with big 4wd vehicles, never get snow or if they do, like 2-4" they come to these boards saying how there big SUV didn't handle that good? OH WELL, I guess QBrozen knows how to drive in snow? PS I have never ever had an accident, And I drive over 50miles to work in complete crap weather!
  • Options
    jchan and rsholland - exactly!

aldan - fortunately (odd word to use regarding accidents), none of mine have been my fault. I guess you are just lucky or I am unlucky when it comes to drawing idiots towards you on the road. And, yes, it snows in jersey every year.

• Options
    Reply to #575 of 591 by ateixeira Jul 14, 2004 (2:06 pm)

__deletia__

The Mini is a 2+2, really. When I sat in the front seat it almost touched the rear, there was zero legroom basically.

__deletia__

//

compare another perspective:

http://www.mini2.com/news/news251.html

kthxbye.

b.

//
  • Options
    You gotta take that bulls' eye off your car. I've been hit several times. Managed to avoid a few more. Ugh.

But a Saturn plowed into the back of my Forester wasn't nearly as bad as a Saab slamming my Miata from the side.

In the snow, the Miata is parked, period. If AWD gives me 0.1% better chance to avoid an accident in the snow then I'll take it.

One tall person can fit in a Mini, sure, two even I'm sure. But then it's full to capacity. You won't squeeze in anyone behind that guy!

Just looked in the paper today, the local no-haggle dealer has the 9-2x Linear for just $300 less than a 9-3 Linear.

-juice
  • Options
    richwoodrichwood Member Posts: 11
    I haven't checked in or written on this forum for a while, but several months back I posted a few times on the lease rates in Canada (where I reside), as well as pricing differences, and how that made marketing the 9-2x quite different north of the border.

Let me firstly say that despite TRYING to get a 9-2x Aero, and still wanting one, I am a proud new owner of a 2004 WRX wagon. Content wise, in Canada, Subaru provides the heated seats, heated mirrors, front side airbags and the moonroof on the wagon. From what I read on this forum, that may not even be available in the U.S. I got all of the above, + had lots of flexibility to add a number of accessories (as seen on the U.S. Subaru site) which SAAB is NOT offering on the 9-2x. When I asked about the auto-dim mirror, raised arm-rest, etc, I was told that pretty much none of that was even planned to be made available.

But what do I miss about the 9-2x? I test drove both extensively before I bought, and the 9-2x is quieter and has better looking sheetmetal front and rear. In Canada, the 17" rims are standard on the Aero and I appreciated the look (not much driveability difference in my view). The exterior colours are better and the warranty longer. I don't have the heated front wipers (like in my Forester), but do get the back one.

But in Canada we get no free service and no xenon lights. Saab's residuals absolutely stunk (41% after 4 years?!) whereas Subaru slotted the WRX at 50% in the same period (go figure). Even with rates at 3.9%, the 9-2x's residual made it too costly to consider when Subaru (finally) started getting serious about dropping lease rates from the traditional 6.8% on a 48 month lease for a WRX (** and it has pretty much never been much lower since they introduced the car years ago) down to an all-time low of 4.8%. Add to that the discount I got on the sticker price as they tried to move the 2004's out (making room for the 2005's) vs. not even $1 off the MSRP from my local SAAB guy, and I was left with no choice but to buy the WRX.

The 9-2x is a great car, but as someone with a toddler, I can also tell you that cream cloth interior doesn't cut it. You have to get the leather pretty much.

Finally, in response to some of the dialogue on performance in snow, I wholeheartedly agree that AWD is better than 2wd. With kudos to the writer from Buffalo (** and you guys get LOTS of snow!), people from non-snow-belt areas really have no idea. I agree that 2wd can and does work, especially with good snow-tires, but AWD is better. The writer with a miata put it well when they noted that even 1% or so better winter driveability made it a better car, and I second that. As I work in auto-claims insurance adjusting, common sense and good driving skills make the most difference, 2wd or awd, but sometimes plain bad-luck just makes you a victim, good weather or bad.

Love to hear something from an actual 9-2x owner -has ANYONE posted as yet who can make that claim?

Cheers from Brampton, Ontario.

PS - If anyone is creating a bad rep for SAAB owners, it has to be that writer whom continues to slam the 9-2x, GM and Subaru about tainting the brand. Please stop. Those whom want to believe and than dislike a stereotype of a snobby SAAB owner have to look no farther than you. And have you even driven the 9-2x yet? What's that old saying, "...if you have nothing good to say....".
  • Options
    The US WRX wagon gets the side air bags but not the moonroof option and no heated seats or mirrors either.

Cheers back at ya. ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    Kudos for the nice write up, I'm getting the same feeling about the 9-2 pricing, I'll wait a year or 2 then see what happens. Maybe I can use my GM pricing? You never know how desperate GM/Saab will want to off load these things.

It does snow a lot in Buffalo, but south of Buffalo it snows more, its called "lake effect" you can't forecast it. I bought a Trailblazer December 29th 2002, The first 60 days of owning it I had it in AUTO/4WD everyday just to get home from work.

The 9-2 seems fit for people like me, but we shall see.
  • Options
    jlangdonjlangdon Member Posts: 11
    Hi all,
    I'm new here but have been reading avidly! I just bought the Saab 9-2X but it hasn't arrived yet, unfortunately. It will be here in a week or less.

The two they had on the lot were both manual transmission and had the cold weather package (heated seats, etc.) I have nothing against the heated seats except I live in South Texas and I can't imagine why they would even bring in cars here with heated seats, LOL! I surely wasn't going to pay for what we get for free during our 100-degree days! My car has an automatic transmission and the color is Dark Blue Mica.

The MSRP on my car was $24,900 and the dealer knocked $2,000 off, so my purchase price was $22,900. I'm happy with that. I really love the car and the dealership has a great reputation for service. I work 25 miles from here and they have a free pick up and delivery service -- when the car is due for service, they'll actually come to my place of employment to pick up the car and they'll drive it back to me after the service is done. Nice!!!!! The salesman knew the car inside and out, as well as the development of the vehicle. I was very pleased with his knowledge and professionalism.

I can't wait to get my new car!
    Julie
  • Options
    Reply to #594 of 596 It's been a while by richwood Jul 23, 2004 (2:52 pm)

__deletia__

Love to hear something from an actual 9-2x owner -has ANYONE posted as yet who can make that claim?

//

i think that speaks to a bigger issue--
    how well is the 9-2x selling?

//

PS - If anyone is creating a bad rep for SAAB owners, it has to be that writer whom continues to slam the 9-2x, GM and Subaru about tainting the brand. Please stop.

//

i believe you're referring to some of my
    posts. and i believe you've missed my
    point: my criticism of the 9-2x is out
    of concern for the _brand_ and not want-
    ing to see it go in the wrong direction.

i've owned nothing but saabs in my many
    decades of driving. that hasn't been by
    accident. i've always respected, _inter
    alia_, the brand, its approach to design,
    and it's cachet; all of which are com-
    promised by the 9-2x.

whilst i disagree with your moderator-
    esque approach ("please stop")
    (a sort of _argumentum ad baculum_), i
    respect your right to that opinion. i
    only hope that others, including myself,
    can be afforded the same latitude of ex-
    pression, even if it's not "pep-rally
    worthy." (this forum is better than that.)

//

Those whom want to believe and than dislike a stereotype of a snobby SAAB owner have to look no farther than you.

//

?

//

__deletia__

What's that old saying, "...if you have nothing good to say....".

//

id.

good luck with your subaru.

kthxbye.

b.

//
  • Options
    nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    I think that the Saab 9-2x, Subaru or no, is closer overall to the original Saab philosophy (small capacity eccentric FrWD 2 strokers put out by an aircraft company) than the current 9-3 (Epsilon based -- Chevy Malibu, Vauxhall/Opel Vectra platform) or the old one (2nd gen Euro Cavalier based).

As for Xenon headlights, I am not sure I want them. Very theftworthy and they annoy other drivers. What's really needed are conventional halogen low beams and high intensity highbeams for unlit country roads.
  • Options
  • Options
    salbaby1972salbaby1972 Member Posts: 165
    I am a huge Subaru fan, and I also love the way the 9-2X looks. Way better than the WRX. I am excited about the Saab/Subaru joint venture. I also would like to see more joint ventures between Saab and FHI.
  • Options
    Reply to #602 of 602 article by bigdaddycoats Jul 28, 2004 (10:16 am)

http://www.ai-online.com/issues/article_detail.asp?id=514

//

i liked the detail of the review.

...interesting to know the conceptual process of
    the 9-2x and its "pragmatism" rationale.

i don't quite understand the defined target aud-
    ience--28-year olds with income of $75k/year.
    (the people i know with that type of income tend
    to own a more expensive car than a 9-2x. but,...
    whatever....)

good post, though!

kthxbye.

b.

//
  • Options
    bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    New Motor Trend has a test with the 9-2x against the V50 T5 AWD. They like the Volvo better in just about every category.
  • Options
    I don't know if my experience is typical, but my 9-2X is taking a really long time in getting here. Saab shipped mostly models with manual transmissions, it seems, and didn't take into account the climate of the places where the cars were going.

Our local dealership has two with manual transmissions, equipped with the cold weather package, and I live in tropical Texas!!! I called a larger dealership in Houston and they were in the same boat. The sales manager in Houston said that production was limited and Saab allocated the cars without regard to climate/preferences. We found one automatic w/o the cold weather package in Oklahoma City, but the shipping cost was something like $1,200.

Sooooo, I'm still waiting, 12 days after my car was located and reserved. I was starting to lose patience and decided to look at other vehicles, but the 9-2X is perfect for me and I got a really good deal on it. My second choice was the Volvo S40, but it's smaller than the 9-2X and I didn't like the interior at all. Plus, the Volvo dealership was not offering any sort of incentives or discounts.

I think that the 9-2X is worth the wait, but I'm wondering if others are having the same problems getting one.

Julie
  • Options
    "New Motor Trend has a test with the 9-2x against the V50 T5 AWD. They like the Volvo better in just about every category."

Even price? LOL. The V50 (?Do you mean S50?) costs a lot more than the 9-2X and I'm not sure that matching off those two cars is a good comparison.

I've seen the S40 compared with the 9-2X, and that seems more realistic. Both offer the regular and the turbo models; the options and warranties are the same, etc.

I went to test-drive the Volvo S40 yesterday and felt that the Saab 9-2X was still the better deal. I drove the regular S40 and found it to be a bit more sluggish than the 9-2X Linear. The 9-2X is also roomier; after driving the 9-2X, I felt cramped in the S40. Then there's pricing -- the two vehicles MSRP's were nearly identical, but the Saab dealership knocked $2,000 off the price. The Volvo dealer wouldn't reduce it more than $800. Thus, the Volvo would have cost me a little over $24,000; the Saab comes in at almost $22,900.

Volvo's are great cars; I'm not knocking them at all. For me, the 9-2X makes a lot more sense, if the darned thing will just get here already, LOL!

Julie
  • Options
    bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    No, I mean the V50 - the wagon version of the new s40. I would choose the 9-2x also. Although, I would get the Aero. Are you buying? If you can wait at all I am betting there will be good incentives coming on the 9-2x - typical GM fashion. There are very good deals on the 9-3 if that interests you at all. Good luck and keep us updated.
  • Options
    Ah, there's my confusion! The Volvo dealer referred to it as the S40 wagon, LOL! The pricetag was in the neighborhood of $40,000 and it was too wagonish for me, anyway. I didn't drive it, but I did drive the S40 sedan and wasn't wowed by it.

I sure wish I could wait, but my daily driver has been dying a painful death and school is starting in two weeks!

As I mentioned, I did buy the 9-2X but it hasn't arrived yet. Apparently, they're difficult to find with an automatic transmission. My car is expected anytime now, but I've been waiting for nearly two weeks.

Yeah, I'm sure they will offer incentives later but I don't have the luxury of waiting. Still, I got a dealer discount of $2,000, which brought the price down to almost $22,900. Edmunds says a fair price is $23,900 for the Linear with automatic transmission, so it's OK.

The S40 Volvo was my second choice but, frankly, the Volvo shopping experience was pretty bad, so I'm glad the Saab is coming in soon!

Julie
  • Options
    The Volvo's sport suspension has been criticized for being too harsh, and the base suspension rolls too much IMO.

Plus it's FWD, AWD puts the power down more effectively with the turbos.

One thing Volvo has is the V50 has more cargo space, plus it's more usefully shaped. But you could just get an even roomier Forester for less.

-juice
  • Options
    It's a little heavier with the extra insulation, but that was probably just the grippier tires not allowing a high rpm launch.

I don't think your car is typical, the WRXs I've driven light up at around 3000 rpm, though below that they are a docile (and fuel efficient) commuter car.

One thing is that it's just a 2.0l, and you may be used to a bigger 2.3l engine with less boost (and higher compression), which will feel quicker off-boost. The 2.0l also does not have AVCS like the 2.5T.

You sound like a perfect candidate for the Legacy GT, which has more displacement (2.5l) with higher compression and AVCS. It's substantially quicker off boost. Torque peaks at just 3600 rpm.

-juice
  • Options
    britneybritney Member Posts: 1
    The dealers in BC and most websites only show the 9-2x in the silver exterior colours. Has anyone seen the blue mica? Is it anything like the Saab nocturne blue (which I quite like)? I want to place a factory order but don't want to be shocked by a colour I don't like - so may go with black to be safe. comments on the blue...?
  • Options
    Hi Britney,
    I ordered the 9-2X in the Deep Mica Blue, figuring it would just be a nice dark blue. I was ecstatically surprised when it came in -- the color is fabulous!!! None of the guys at the dealership had seen the color yet and they were gathered around the car admiring it -- it's that nice!

It's a medium blue, but reflects different shades of blue, depending on the angle at which you look at it. It really is a beautiful color and the salesmen and manager agreed it makes the car stand out even more. Go for it!!!!! I am SO glad I ordered that color. Black was my second choice. :>)

Snaab,
    I have the 9-2X Linear, automatic transmission, and the car is incredibly peppy. When I picked it up on Monday, the car was a little sluggish at first because it had literally never been driven -- the odometer said 0.1! After about 25 miles, she found her pep and hasn't looked back -- I really love the car! The salesman told me to go easy on her, of course, and if I'm recalling correctly, the manual says not to take her past 3,000 rpm for the first 1,000 miles. But she climbs hills without shifting or losing speed with a light foot on the gas pedal. I'm very pleased.

The Car and Driver review (July 2004) was really enthusiastic about the car. The writer gave good details about the Saab upgrades and improvements.

Julie-Anne
  • Options
    4000rpm actually. It would be really hard to keep it below 3000rpm with an automatic.

Your tranny is adaptive and will indeed adapt to your driving style. You'll notice shift points will change, for instance.

Also, the ECU will have the engine running rich until it adjusts to your driving style, also. That means the first tank or two may not yield great mileage, but don't worry, it definitely improves.

The EJ25 engine tends to improve with age, after break-in mine was getting +2mpg vs. new.

-juice
  • Options
    saabaruniansaabarunian Member Posts: 4
    I agree that the turbo cuts in at around 3 grand. I noticed that during the test drives with both the WRX and the 9-2X. It really dogs it below there if you aren't in a low enough gear. Having only driven normally aspirated cars until now, I knew there would be some adjustments necessary in driving a turbo. Obviously the solution is to drive in a range that never drops below 3K. Unfortunately I still have less than the recommended 4K miles on the car and so I can't do that yet until it's broken in. (And it's just killing me not to yet. Only 800 miles to go!)
    As for the gauges, I also found (eventually) the overpriced set of three that Saab offers in their online catalog on their site. Over $735 without install plus $90 for the housing is absurd. It seems that they mount on the dash where the clock currently is so you have to give up your clock to have gauges. That bums me out since I really like having a clock in the car, especially at night. (Why couldn't they just have put the clock in the dash instead? I'd much rather give up the outside temperature gauge than the clock. Whine, whine.)
    Now, I did find the apparently same gauges at various Subaru OEM parts sites for the WRX for less ($541 gauges/$64 housing). I assume they would fit in the same spot but there is the question of whether the color would match the dash or not. (I.e. did Saab customize the dash color as well?)
    One way or another, I'll get some gauges. I haven't been without gauges in any car yet and, given that they've saved me from getting stranded more than once, I'm not about to.
    S
  • Options
    I bet the colors will not match, good point.

Forester has the best solution in the Subaru parts bin - the clock is in the overhead console with 2 sunglasses holders, temp guage is on the dash, so you see it all. You can even keep the radio on FM so you know what station you're listening to. Plus you can add the guages in the middle and give up...nothing!

-juice
  • Options
    Not a bad solution.
    One of the frustrating things at this point with such a new car is the lack of customization parts available from part sellers other than the dealer. I suppose in a year or two there will be as many options out there as there are with the WRXs. (For non-cosmetic parts, presumably most of the WRX custom items would directly fit, e.g. the less expensive WRX gauges in the slightly more expensive Saab gauge housing would look good but save a couple hundred. However, I'm sure some dealers might try to interpret that as voiding the warranty. If they can prove it, that is.)
    Either way, it kinda looks like I'll end up with a nice set of gauges and a $1.99 stick-on digital clock from Pep Boys.
    S
  • Options
    Oh, it's 4,000 rpm I need to avoid? Cool! Actually, I've had no trouble keeping her below 3,000 rpm -- she only hits 2,500 rpm doing 70 mph. She's a peppy little bugger!

I've calculated that I'm getting 28 mpg right now and am psyched that I can expect to add a few miles to that. I've been commuting 120 miles a day with her this week because I have to attend a teacher workshop. It KILLS me to be putting this kind of mileage on her already, but that's the life of a teacher's car! LOL, next week she gets to haul boxes of books, school supplies and posters!

Thanks for the info!
    Julie
  • Options
    Not to preach, but a just short word of caution to anyone on driving at too low an RPM. Although it's OK at constant speeds, trying to accelerate in too low a gear (also called "lugging") can burn valves.
    S
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,212
    I think her car is an automatic?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

This discussion has been closed.