Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-2X

Comments

• agreed, the SRT is a little too "tuned" for cheap performance. I will gladly sacrifice a little gumption for a better looking and feeling car. I do like the Subaru Impreza lines very much, but just couldn't pull the trigger on an Impreza Wagon, the styling and the lame duck interior just didn't quite inspire me.

So, I am eager to see the Saab 9-2. As a non-loyalist consumer, it might be a great fit for my needs and wants. I don't think I will be putting in an order just yet...but it is an intriguing model that I will definately go and drive.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    gives the impression of a boy racer.
  • the factories have grown smart. If the kids are gonna hop up their econo cars with $10k in mods and race them, why not up do it for them? (and earn the profits)

Who would have thought ten years ago that people who pay $20+k for an econocar with a hot engine? I could never do the Neon, just because of the association I have with cheap rental cars that drive like mudd after 20k miles. It may or may not be the cars faults...but I don't like the notion of driving the top-loaded model of a lower caste car when for the same money I can get the lower-base model of a higher caste car.

Call it "image" consciousness, but I would rather drive a 325 stripped then a Honda Accord loaded.

Back to the 9-2. I like the idea of a hot AWD Saab that will be sharing most major mechanicals with a model that is already popular and available. Even if the 9-2 flops, the car itself will survive on for the owner.
    I would prefer a loaded 9-3 over a mildly loaded 325i. Does that mean you'd buy a Stratus SE over a Neon ES? They're both around the same price.
  • I would prefer a loaded 9-3 over a mildly loaded 325i. Does that mean you'd buy a Stratus SE over a Neon ES? They're both around the same price.

First, I wouldn't buy a Neon in any guise. Just could never feel "proud" about that car being mine. I wouldn't buy a Stratus either.

If I had $19-21k to spend on a car, I would have a laundry list of cars ahead of either, including a Mini.

A better question is this. Would you spend an extra $5 a day to drive a rental Stratus versus a rental Neon? Yes, and I have. :) Then again, I beg and beg for a Hyundai or Subaru most of the time. Not many carry Subes, but most have Hyundais. I would rather drive a Sonata than a Stratus. But that is just me. :)
    is the Camry. Enterprise has a few of them. hertz rents Subarus sometimes. If you want a specific car, asking won't hurt. If you know they have that Hyundai Sonata, Subaru Legacy, Kia Optima, Suzuki Aerio sitting there, just ask for it. And yes, I'll spend another $5 a day to get out of a Neon and into a Sonata. By the way, many places rent Accents and Rios.
    any info????
    (and yes, I have spent the extra $5 per day to get out of a Cavalier and into a Malibu!!!)
    Classic, not the new one.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    Malibu is the new 9-3, not 9-2! :-P

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• rumor is, new pics available in either C&D or Autoweek...anyone have the downlow?
  • How do we think a rebadged Subabru/Saab will fair against the upcoming Audi A3 and BMW 1-series?

Audi A3 is rumored to have the 1.8T engine in some form (170-180 hp in US likely) and start around $21k. It will go from there, and may feature a jumped S3 version as well. Quattro makes it completely viable as an alternative to the Saab 9-2/WRX.

BMW 1-series appears to be coming, if it comes, with a low-powered I4 base (110hp) at a few more dollars...estimates start at $23k.

Same mag (Motor Trend) also listed 9-2 as priced between $21-24k, depending on engine choice, to start. A better looking WRX for $24k base? Keeps sounding better and better.

BTW, the Audi A3 will be a 5-door hatch (aka Golf) and will be in the MB SportCoupe vein.

A $21k Audi would be an interesting twist...but figure to add $1850 for quattro. Will potentially allow the Saab to stay a few grand cheaper in comparos.
  • just stole a look on the Mustang boards, some spy picks claiming to show the production version of the upcoming new Pony are a bit disappointing. Gone are the nice edges and in place are rounded corners that look like the car was superheated.
    I would definitely take a 9-2 or A3 over a 1-Series mainly because the engine is just too underpowered in the 1-Series and I do a lot of highway cruising.
    I read a short blurb somewhere that BMW will not offer the 1-series in the US with the smaller engine, but that there is a higher-powered version?

I would definitely take a 9-2 over anything with that VW group 1.8T in it. Too bad, as I love the pictures I have seen of the A3 hatch.

• I have heard of problems in the Jetta with the 1.8T...but not of any others...care to enlighten us?

1.8T motors are in the TT, A4, Passat, Golf, Beetle, and Jetta. I find it hard to believe that all of these variants are "junk."
    don't think its junk either. Just when you pair it with the Jetta. The Passat gets decent reliability and is recommended by CR. So the 1.8T is definitely not Junk.
  • mdmetzmdmetz Posts: 27
    Saab released a (not very revealing) photo of the 9-2X at a press event in Tokyo, which is at the following link:

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat- _code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=07961325

Looks a bit like a 7/8ths scale 9-5.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,213
    I didn't realize until now that this thing will be a wagon. Was that widely known and I just wasn't paying attention?

In any case, great! I always liked the WRX wagon a bit better anyway. Can't wait to get a good look at the interior on this car.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

the door-handles look like one off the Impreza.
    since they ARE off the impreza! :-)

Yeah, but at least redesign the handles so consumers don't think that they're getting a warmed over Impreza.
    consumers AREN'T getting a warmed over Impreza? :-P

they ARE getting a warmed over Impreza, but some people are so easily fooled.
    You mean that, in your opinion, any consumer buying the 9-2 has been "easily fooled"?

they are getting a Saab in name only - the car is a Subaru. HOWEVER, I should add that it appears the price for the 9-2 is going to be VERY little higher than the price for the WRX, for a car that will include a Saab face and probably leather seats, I would think. So if they want to think it is a Saab, that is OK - the deal is still not bad.

exactly. It probably won't be a bad deal. I for one am looking forward to checking this car out and considering it for purchase. And I'm not getting "fooled" because I know exactly what it is. And that is the only reason I'm even considering it. If it was purely Saab, then I'd have to think twice and thrice, but since its a WRX underneath, it just makes me want it more. So to assume that buyers would want this thing because it is a Saab is very shortsighted. Maybe that will be the case of some who don't know any better and would never consider a Subaru, but that can't be assumed to be the case for everyone who buys one of these.

back when Ford compact trucks had those little stickers that said something like "powered by Mazda" and Dodge Colts had stickers that said "by Mitsubishi" on them? Well, the 9-2 should have little "by Subaru" stickers on them!

Except of course, Saab buyers probably want nothing to do with that plebeian Japanese brand! (looks down nose) :-P

of course i remember (psst.. it wasn't that long ago). Heck, having a mazda heart is the only reason I would have bought that Ford and same goes for the Dodge (although i'm not fond of mitsu, but that's another story).

Same thing here. Only reason I'd buy this saab is the subaru inside. BUT, I won't buy right away because it might have Saab resale value *gasp* and I can pick one up with a couple hundred miles for, what, $5-$10K? ;)

• regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    gotta admit, that fishbowl image of the new 9-2 front end....good job making the front end look like a Saab. But then you make your way to the door handles and yes, they look very Impreza.....they really ought to reshape the door handles to look like typical Saab handles.

I really hope they redo the interior but what I've heard is its a Subaru warmed over. Key moved, most likely.

Tall guys won't like the 9-2.....the WRX has no room in it or to get in and out. How will all those independent, private college, stoic tall bike riding scandinavians like this car when they can't get in out or out of it and push the seat back far enough?
This discussion has been closed.