Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-2X

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    is offered on all Saab models- I'll bet it'll come with the 9-2X also.
  • derekgdwderekgdw Member Posts: 51
    Subaru dealerships appear to be hit or miss as far as quality of service and overall treatment of customers from what I've experienced and have read from others. Same could be said for Nissan and Toyota I would assume.

Nissan and Toyota's luxury brands (Infiniti and Lexus) on the other hand typically treat their customers like gold.

My thinking is maybe you could expect the same when you buy a Saab branded Impreza? I have no idea where Saab ranks as far as how their dealerships treat their customers. One would hope, considering the cost of entry to obtain a Saab, they would be up there however I will admit I haven't done much research into this.

For some this may not be an issue but for many others (like myself) it would be.

Other than that though, I must say, I saw the picture of the Saab 9-2X and thought "Okay it's my car up until the front fender . . ." They did some to the styling to make it look nicer and more upscale but they should've done a bit more . . . Subaru did a good job making the interior look nicer however. The Forester dash kit fit in very well. ;-)

It's a first attempt though and not a bad one in my opinion as it does look more upscale than a Subaru branded Impreza. I would say that if Saab offers a longer warranty on the car than Subaru does (which they appear to) AND if Saab dealerships do in fact treat their customers about as well as Infiniti does (A great warranty means nothing if the manufacturer refuses to stand behind the vehicle after all) I would definitely give this version of the Impreza some consideration over the Subaru version.
  • harlequin1971harlequin1971 Member Posts: 278
    Saab:
    longer warranty
    free maintainance
    better customer service
    more upscale manufacturer image (important to some)
    upscale interior
    better sculpted front fascia

Subaru trumps:
    much lower entry price
    the "original"
    no "Snaab" appeal
    Japanese quality/reputation

Even if the Saab has all the same mechanics...I know lots of folks who would never buy a Saab based on horror stories about high part costs and poor reliability. I think the stories are a bit overblown in many cases, but I do have my own tragic "Sob" story: $6,000 in repairs and another $2,500 to go for a car with 57k miles in under 2 years of ownership is not a way to endear customers to a long-term ownership strategy. My lemon was one of the unlucky ones, for sure...but once-bitten, twice shy. Sad too, since I have always loved Saabs, the way they drive, the way they look, the interior designs (fighter jet cockpit anyone?), the personality, the exclusivity...it was all possitives for me, but that $9,000 turn around in a short 18 months on my used Saab always turned my fingers cold when I would start thinking about buying another one.

A "Saab" WRX would be an interesting option for me. I like the way the WRX drives, but am not as fond of the interior, the styling, or the Subaru image (which is improving, but still a bit down market)...

I don't buy purely on image, but for $25k, I want to feel good about my car in every way, not just when I am in the driver's seat ripping onto the highways...Most of my miles are driven under 40 mph, so I do want a car that looks good, has a nice stereo, and can get out of its own way.

Saab 9-2X...I am intrigued.
    the 9-2X will be more reliable than either the 9-3 or 9-5.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    so it's all kisses and chocolates over at Subaru now on this plan? That press release makes it sound that way. Liked the part about "two like-minded companies"...not that I'm saying they're not, necessarily.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• badjurabadjura Member Posts: 26
    Liking the exterior style of the 9-2X, the reliability of Impreza's, and it looks like it will come in at about CAD $28K a year which is do-able for me. Well, with the GM Visa card earnings I have accumulated I should be able to knock of a couple of grand before buying time. However I am concerned about the long term viabilty of Saab in Canada and I have read that Saab might not be around if it weren't under the umbrella of GM. GM relecently dumped Isuzu here and I think if the 9-2X doesn't do well, Saab might go the same way. Maybe the 9-7 will help also...
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Keep in mind the Saab mechanics may not be familiar with boxer engines, viscous couplings, even rear axles.

There will be a learning curve.

Heck, those mechanics will have to service GM trucks, too! Forget about specialization, they'll need to learn just about everything.

-juice
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    If VW techs can learn to fix Touregs, SAAB guys can fix the 9-2X. SAAB just set a single-year sales record in the US, BTW.
    yes, it'll take a while to switch from servicing turbocharged 9-3s and 9-5s to boxer engine equipped 9-2Xs, and Chevrolet like 9-7Xs.
  • gcharlangcharlan Member Posts: 2
    'cuz they will offer LEATHER and a SUNROOF on the WAGON.

I know there are aftermarket offerings to get these items on the Scoob, but it's so much easier to get them factory.

Saab dealers tend to do a lot more coddling, too.

Subaru has always sold the WRX to boy-racers, I like 'em a little more comfy. But still fast, in a bmw, or lexus, or old-saab kind of way.

:)
    I am with you- I want sporty rides but I still want some comfort. Maybe that's why I've always preferred Accords over Camrys.....
    There are plenty of people that agree with you. Lots and lots of people loved the WRX in a test drive but just could not love the interior, and ended in up near-luxury competitors.

-juice
    Anybody seen a 9-2X in person at the LA auto show? Does it look like the pics out? I wonder what the guys at Subaru would say if you drove in there with your Saab and asked for a service..haha. I'd say they sure would have more knowledge on the engine and the AWD system. Anybody find the seats in the Subies really hard, particularly the non-WRX models? Wonder if they will be the same as the
    9-2?
  • buddhabmanbuddhabman Member Posts: 252
    I went Monday to the LA Show and saw one at the Saab exhibit. It was silver like all the prototypes pictured, outfitted with ski rack and snowboard. It has a new front hood, and front air splitter, 17" 10 spoke silver wheels with Saab center cap, it had two toned cloth not leather, but it looks like leather from afar. Take a look at Edmunds for there review. Nice looking, I would've hoped for leather. Sorry I didn't follow up with the reps about the 9-2X, was more intereseted in what is planned for the 9-5. I think they should just offer the Aero but thats my opinion.
    is to bring in the buyers with the low entry price. The Aero will be more popular, I assume.
    I am suprised there wasn't leather in the Aero - was the cloth contrasting white/beige and black buddhabman? (hope they do away with the light colour in the production model) Anybody get some concrete pricing from the show?
  • gcharlangcharlan Member Posts: 2
    I don't know if it's been posted here yet, but I stumbled upon this site with lots of pictures:
    http://194.18.30.201/92x/
    Saw it in person at NAIAS. Could not get inside, but from outside she looks good. Got plenty of attention, too, plenty!

-juice
  • buddhabmanbuddhabman Member Posts: 252
    The one I saw had two tone cloth. But I did read in an official press release that leather is an option on the Aero 9-2X. The potential 4K diff between the original and the Saab is a grip. is it worth it?. For some people brand image is worth a little premium. The free Saab maintenance and potentially better customer service might be worth the trade-up.

At 28K what does it compete with:

Audi A4 Avant - Way more than 28K
    BMW 325ix Wagon - Way more than 28K
    Jag X Type - More than 28K
    Infiniti G35 - Way more than 28K
    MB - C230/C320 4matic - Way more than 28K
    Subaru WRX - Fully optioned + dealer mods 28K
    Volvo S50 - More than 28K
    VW Passat Wagon - More than 28K

They should have made the Aero standard with two-tone leather and OnStar to make it truly upscale. I think it will sell well regardless.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    The S40 T5 will start at $27K, so its not that far off. It all depends on what comes standard in each vehicle. But the S40 at that price is only FWD.

The V50 pricing has yet to be announced. But it probably won't be much more than the S40.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Interesting, the one in Detroit appeared to have two-tone leather. We could not get close enough to be 100% sure, but my buddy and I both thought it was leather.

The Volvo wagon is named V50, you probably just made a typo, I'm sure you knew that. It was at NAIAS also.

The S40 was open, so I sat inside, the back seat is tiny, felt smaller than the WRX. I was in the back seat and the guy in front used the power seats to slide back and I actually got stuck! Had to wiggle my shoe out from behind the seat.

Headroom was also lacking, my head rubbed big time.

The V50 was locked and closed, but it looked much better in terms of headroom. Cargo space is more than the WRX also, but I'd rather sit in the back seat of a WRX or Saab 9-2x.

-juice
    should be a bargain. Low starting price, especially if you control yourself and stick with the less sportier Linear.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    There is an potential conflict brewing in the UK right now related to the pricing of the 9-2x and it's Impreza WRX counterpart.

In the UK the Impreza Turbo has a large cult following and the prices are comparatively higher than they are in the states, placing the WRX smack dab in the same price range as the Saab 9-3. The fact that the 9-2x would need to be priced lower than the 9-3, and thus lower than it's corporate cousin the WRX, could make Subaru very upset. It would be bad business to have a more "premium" brand name selling a copy of your most known model at a lower price.
    Subies tend to cost more in Canada, too. They might have the same problem.

-juice
    The Canuck buck is making a comeback so I am hoping the 9-2 Linear comes in at around CAD $28K (USD $22K) The Impreza TS is at CAD $23K - so we will see what Saab will offer for 5 g's more. The WRX and 9-3 Linear come in at about CAD $35K. The dream is that our buck can rival the US someday again!
  • sebastian1980sebastian1980 Member Posts: 8
    Our local dealer sells both Saab and Volvo, so it will be neat to be able to compare it along with the new S40 coming out mid-year. I am not sure if they will attract the same crowd, but it should be interesting.
    and the V50 will be interesting to compare with the 9-2X. Both are somewhat Swedes (V50 is based off Focus and 9-2X is rebadged WRX) and both are meant to bring in more buyers. But the 9-2X will be the price king, starting at $22K for the Linear model, which I consider to be the bargain if you don't need (or want) more horsepower, don't want or need a firm ride. Add a few options on the Linear and you'll have a nice commuter that has decent and quite sporty handling.
  • dantirdantir Member Posts: 1
    Just came back from the LA autoshow, I must say I was quite taken with it. I have been looking at the WRX wagon for some time, and really like it as well. I think I like the 9-2 better.

The sales rep said the Linear would start around 20K and the Aero around 25 - He thought a loaded Aero would go for around 27-28K. At that price I would seriously consider the 9-2x. I would never consider it a Saab, I would just think of it as a really nice WRX wagon.
    Hope that sales rep knows what he's talking about regarding pricing...I checked with Saab USA and they havn't officially released pricing yet, so we will wait and see. I'd never consider buying any GM product, but this really isn't - so its ok : )
    If the Linear is just $20K, I could even check all the option boxes and it won't be nearly as much as buying a TSX!
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Juice and I saw it at Detroit on Wednesday. The car looks very nice, indeed. I'm sure it will be a big hit and winner for both Saab and Subaru. I would hope it gets a better warranty, as per other Saabs.

Bob
    should be on par with other Saab products.
    I had heard $25k for starters, maybe they meant the Aero model only (they didn't say so).

Looked good like at NAIAS. Could not get in that or the Volvo V50.

Did get in the Volvo S40 and it is *cramped* back there. No leg room at all, in fact I got stuck when some guy in the front seat powered his seat back, my shoe got stuck!

The WRX sedan is roomier. But the V50 does seem to have better space than the S40. I think the V50 will have more cargo room than the 9-2x but less passenger room.

-juice
    without a lot of space would make sense. If it had tons of space, then how would they sell you a S60?
    Don't you guys think the Volvo wagons look a little to 'family'? Where as the Saab will look more 'sport' - both having cargo carrying capacity.
    Well the Volvo is longer, and thus a more traditional wagon.

The 9-2x is really more of a hatchback than a wagon.
    Exactly. I think the Saab 9-2x will appeal to the single guy that wants to put a mountain bike on the roof. The V50 will appeal to parents looking for safety.

-juice
    you're right. I guess Saab is trying to go after new buyers while Volvo is focusing on keeping current buyers and then selling them a XC90 later on.
    So what ride would you guys say comes close to the 92-X in room, cargo capacity, and attitude in and around the same price - assuming it starts at the estimated entry level of $22K? The Audi's, BWM and Jags of the world all cost thousands more.
    would be the 9-2X's parent car- the WRX. Or, maybe lower ends of the Volvo V50.
  • sebastian1980sebastian1980 Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know when Saab will release more info on the 9-2. I know Volvo has a pretty good site for the new S40.
    Funny thing is it's kind of in no-man's lands. There aren't a lot of premium small cars.

Guess it'll slot in right below the A4 1.8T and V50.

-juice
    Hmmm, well I don't know about that. The RSX, Merc C-coupe, Mini and upcoming BMW 1-series can be considered premium small cars. The 9-2x seems like just what Saab needs to be considered by younger buyers and compete in this segment.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    the upcoming 1-series will be 9-2's closest competitor on price, I would think, and probably a fine premium small car, although it will not compete on power, which will be less than even the base Subie TS/9-2 Linear.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Isn't Audi bringing the A3? AWD makes the Saab 9-2x unique in the segment, maybe it'll compete with the A3 quattro, which is supposed to get 5 doors for the US.

-juice
    Oh right the A3 as well. The semi-premium small car sector (with a leaning towards sportiness) is really heating up
    We should name this class, much like someone named the Lexus ES300/ES250/ES330 class the Entry Level. Does Mini Luxury sound nice, or do people prefer something else?
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    Mini luxury doesn't work. It's an oxymoron in the American car market.
    "Mini luxury doesn't work. It's an oxymoron in the American car market."

LOL no joke!

I wouldn't quite call it mini. Maybe Premium Compact Sport class. Or if that's too long then just Premium Compact. Less of an oxymoron.
    Forgot about it, but I think juice is bang on with the A3 in Quattro form ..it will apparantly be released in 2005 in North America in 5 Door only and I would imagine have similiar dimensions, including the hatch..and I would think priced similar to the 9-2x Aero.
This discussion has been closed.