Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-2X

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    You still can't get a moonroof or heated seats in a WRX wagon. That alone will drive some sales.

-juice
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    and the marketing strategy of "a premium WRX" might work because if a young kid fresh out of college has $26K to drop on a new car and still wants a WRX, but wants a sunroof, the Saab dealer will have a car waiting.
  • jchagtdijchagtdi Member Posts: 55
    "I stand by my original thesis - the 9-2x is extraordinarily lame."

You must then think the Chrysler Crossfire is lame. The Crossfire is, for all intents and purposes, a rebadged Mercedes SLK with a fixed roof. I don't think Chrysler could ever have, nor do they attempt to take credit for, engineering this car. A Chrysler dealer told me that "the Crossfire is built in Germany by Mercedes-Benz".

I can understand, I guess, that some in the Saab sect are not happy with the 9-2x. Personally, I wouldn't call ANY car that can run 0-60 in 5.6 seconds "lame".

There are many other people who do not find the Impreza or WRX lame. I think the 9-2x has made a good car great!
  • harlequin1971harlequin1971 Member Posts: 278
    in 5.6 seconds. :)

Did anyone see that Alpha Romeo concept car in the new Auto Show diary? Wow...gimme that silohuette and it can go 0-60 in ten seconds and I will still be fine.

I guess I like lame cars...pity me.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    has unique styling. The Saabaru is indistinguishable from the WRX (except for the sticker price).
    from the front and back it can be distinguished from the WRX (Saab fascia, Saab liftgate) but from the side it looks exactly like a WRX with different wheels.
    read in some mag that the 9-2X Aero will price in at $30k...anyone have the exacts?

How much of a premium does the Saab touch merit?

They go too far and it will be a big mistake.

$22k for the Impreza Wagon (non-WRX), even with nice leather, is a bit steep as a starting point...
    Saab will offer leather, moonroof, and heated seats on the wagon body style. Add those up and you get about $2 grand extra.

My guess is MSRP will be a lot higher but they'll focus on subsidized lease deals.

-juice
    they'll focus on great financing deals and cashback, just like the rest of GM.
    basically indistinguishable.

In contrast, you won't mistake a Crossfire for an SLK. Not even close. All body panels are different and I believe the interior is vastly different as well (that might be a good thing or a bad thing, depending upon your taste ;-), but at least they are different...).
    Chrysler spent a long time changing the SLK so it could be a Crossfire. Saab didn't have much time, so it did what it could do. Borrow the interior from the Forester, put some new wheels and a new grille.
    Steering wheel is from the STi, plus the seats are unique.

Easy changes. I think Saab will differentiate the next one more.

-juice
    I'm sure. the current one is just to give Saab a time lease to work on the next one.
    Visited a Saab dealer yesterday. 9-2x won't arrive 'til summer, but when I expressed interest in wagons they put me in a CPO 9-5.

Pretty nice. I can see these selling side by side, but not the 9-7.

-juice
    not bad. I'd settle for either one if I wanted a Saab wagon.
    Their CPO warranty is 6/100 from the original date it was put in service, so that could end up being longer than a new car warranty.

It'll be interesting to see what the CPO program does for 9-2x resale values. Will they hold their value better than WRXs?

-juice
  • badjurabadjura Member Posts: 26
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Wow, your photos are much better - closer view - than mine were. That's the exterior & interior color that was featured in St. Louis. The two-tone, two material seats are growing on me.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Looks like two-tone leather, is that what that one had? I only saw it with closed windows and could not tell.

Rumor has it the WRX is getting similar interior upgrades, so there isn't much to distinguish the two.

-juice
    They had the windows open kirstie_h, so I could get some decent shots. But I had to lean over the railing big time to get them - I asked that Saab dude if i could get a little closer, but he nixed that and told me it was pre-production. I asked about cost and he told me it should start in the late 20's in Canuck bucks. It sure was tu-tone leather in this one - they looked OK, darker beige than I thought they might be. I really liked the way it looked on the exterior and how much lower it seemed to sit than the Subie. Nice rims and side skirts really looked sharp. They changed the interior just enough so that you were sure that you weren't sitting in a WRX. Maybe that will change if ateixeira's rumor is on.
    the WRX interior changes might make the interior of the WRX different from the 9-2X still.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    Saab's new entry-lever sport wagon, the 9-2X, will start from $22,990 when it goes on sale June 1 nationwide, the Swedish car company based in Georgia, parented by GM, announced today. The 9-2X arrives in showrooms in two forms: the 165-hp, 2.5-liter flat four-powered Linear wagon, which brings with it 16-inch alloy wheels with 205/55 R16 all-season tires, AM/FM/CD stereo system, climate control system, cruise control, tilt-adjustable steering column, power door locks with remote keyless entry, power windows, power-adjustable exterior mirrors and rear window wiper/washer; and the 227-hp 9-2X Aero model, priced from $26,950 and equipped with larger front brake discs, hood-mounted intercooler air intake, front fog lamps, unique light alloy wheels, automatic climate control system, a six-disc in-dash CD changer, metallic-rimmed instrument dials, sport textile upholstery, leather wrapped sport steering wheel, shifter knob and handbrake handle. Both versions are available with either a five-speed manual transmission or a four-speed automatic transmission. The 9-2X is a reworked, Saab-ified version of the Subaru WRX/Impreza five-door wagon.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    "sport textile upholstery"

what the heck is this? Does anyone happen to know if the 92 making its rounds at the auto show (the one with the 2-tone grey and black seats) is this sport stuff or is it a leather upgrade?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    "sport textile upholstery" = cloth
    I would think so, too. But you never know. Look at the new S40. The standard is a weird polyester/vinyl kinda stuff.

But, yeah, I'm sure the one at the auto show was loaded up. Although... I didn't see Nav. I don't recall a moonroof either.

Anyway, I'm anxious to get in this thing. I was very disappointed that we couldn't do so at the show. Out of all the cars I finally got to check out, this is the only one that still holds my interest. Well... and maybe the Dodge Magnum. That was up on a pedestal, so I couldn't even see inside it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Exterior Colors:
    Arctic Silver, Midnight Black, Brilliant Red, Satin Gray, Desert Silver, Deep Blue.

Interior:
    Cloth standard on both Linear and Aero. Black with parchment inserts.

Options:
    Cold Weather Package: Front Heated Seats & Outer Mirrors and Wiper De-Icer

Sports Package (Aero only) 17" Alloy Wheels & Power Sunroof

Linear Premium Package: Leather Seats, door inserts, great knob, handbrake boot and steering wheel. 6-Disc CD Changer, Audio System upgrade, front fog lamps & Xenon head lamps.

Aero Premium Package: Leather Seats and door inserts & Xenon head lamps.

Sunroof is stand-alone in Linear and needs to be ordered with Sport Package on Aero.

2 Years/24,000 miles No-Charge Scheduled Maintenance is included with all cars along with a 4 year 50,000 mile warranty.
    where did all that come from?

I like this part:
    Linear Premium Package: Leather Seats, door inserts, great knob, handbrake boot and steering wheel.

LOL. "Hey, that's a great knob!" :)

From a dealer. Don't know what a great knob is, sounds great though.
    seems a bit rich...given that the Subie 2.5 TS starts under $19k. Anyone care to compare and show just where the extra $3k in value comes from?

Here two pieces:
    2 yr/24k mile service
    added year, 14k miles of warranty.

How much do we want to value those added extras?

Suddenly, a Ford Mustang GT (2005) is looking better. Or more so, wait to see if Pontiac gets the Solstice right.
    Auto trans $1250

Power Moonroof $1200

Cold weather pkg (heated frt seats,heated outside mirrors
    and wiper de-icer) $600

Linear premium pkg (Leather appointed seats,door inserts, handbrake boot and steering wheel, audio upgrade with indash 6disc changer and 6 speakers, xenon headlights and frt fog lights) -$2495

Aero Premium pkg (leather appointed seats and door inserts,
    xenon headlights) $1695

Aero Sport package (17" alloy wheels, high performance tires and moonroof) $1950
    9.2X Linear

All wheel drive
    Aggresive Saab Styling
    Sport bolstered seats
    Power mirrors
    Power, remote locks
    Security system
    Folding rear split seats
    Active Saab head restraints for frt seats
    head/thorax frt side airbags
    Dual frt airbags
    3 point seatbelts at all seating positions
    16" alloy wheels, all season tires
    no charge scheduled maintenance 24 month/24k miles
    tinted glass
    power windows with drivers side express down
    integrated color matched body kit
    rear roof spoiler
    ABS with EBD
    Fully independant suspension
    metallic decor trim
    height adjustable drivers seat

9.2X Aero adds the following:
    Premium sound system with 6 disc cd changer with 6 speakers
    Frt fog lights
    ACC
    Leather steering wheel, handbrake boot and gear lever
    Sport tuned Chassis
    Bright finished exhaust tip
    Alumminum sport pedals (man trans)
    cabin air filter

credit Brewman013 for this info. Thanks.
    IMHO, this isn't a "compare on paper" kind of thing. I'm hoping the Saab will feel more luxurious than its Subaru doner. Just like the difference between Lexus/Toyota and Honda/Acura back when those brands were new and the luxo-cars were just slightly tweaked econo-cars.

And where the heck did the Mustang comparison come from? Hmmmm... let's see .... American muscle 2-door coupe or Japanese/Swedish sportwagon. Uhhh...

thanks for all the work.

This isn't to say its not right or the info isn't appreciated, but personal past experiences have led me to not believe salesmen when it comes to pre-release info. This could be spot on, but I prefer not to bank on it. But, again, thank you.

Yunno, they probably paid some MBA $200,000 per year to come up with that nonsense :rolleyes:

I would have done it better for $20. I would have called it "cloth upholstery."
    Where ya'll finding all this new info? Post some websites?
    I have posted all that i have found. I can not mention where I find it because of the rules here? Search for Saab forums and you should find some of them.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    FYI, you can now a) mention other automotive sites and b) link to automotive sites that host message boards, BUT, you still can't link directly into forums.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

pricing straight from Saab-

http://www.9-2x.saabusa.com/92x_pricing.pdf
    According to Saab sales start on June 1, 2004. For some reason I thought it was originally scheduled to have sales start in July.
    And where the heck did the Mustang comparison come from? Hmmmm... let's see .... American muscle 2-door coupe or Japanese/Swedish sportwagon. Uhhh...

I am considering letting go of my Elantra, since my life path has changed and I am working a better job rather than heading back to school for a masters...

As it is. I have been looking at a variety of new vehicles coming in the next 0-24 months, everything from the proposed BMW 1-series, the Audi A3, the new Golf, the Mustang, the Saab 9-2X, the Pontiac Solstice, or maybe just buy a nice diesel powered Passat and let go of the small sporty drivers altogether.

Point I was making is thus:

While I like the Subie WRX/Impreza. It had some shortcomings in the style and substance arenas. Saab's involvement was of a great deal of interest, since I have always liked Saab cars inside and out.

That said, I think the Mustang GT will be a bigger bang for the buck than the 9-2X Aero. Completely different cars? Sure are...but the argument could be made that with Ford you get more definitive styling and plenty of performance. With the Saab, you get a bit of a sleeper...more utility, AWD, and plenty of zoot in the Aero package...but $23k for a 165-hp car that at $19k was called "over-priced and under-powered?"

I ain't pulling any triggers just yet...but I would like to see the discussion/argument about where that extra cost turns into any real value for the consumer...what do I get? Maybe a better driving vehicle with a better warranty and slicker interior...I can live with that.

But I still think a Mercedes C230 Sport Coupe has more to offer with a small decrease in storage utility than an Impreza TS Wagon with a Saab face and a sticker pushing $23k.

YMMV
    Of course you are entitled to your opinion and your shopping list. But just because I am cross-shopping the 9-2X with the Acura TL doesn't mean that they are comparable in any way, and there is no way I'd try to argue to the contrary.

I, for one, think the C230 is too slow and expensive. But, then again, I would never buy the base impreza or base saab. The thing is, the base C230 is already priced above a WRX and will be more akin to the Saab Aero, and both will blow the doors off the baby Benz.

I suppose I should withhold my Mustang bashing since you are referring to the new one that we have yet had the oppurtunity to get inside of or drive. Maybe it will be a whole new experience. Although, with a solid rear axle, I'm doubting it.

cool. Thanks again. :)

However.... OUCH! No Nav?? $30K for Aero with Premium and Cold Weather? I was kind of anticipating $29K for all of that AND sunroof. So its over $31K with the slider. That's a bit much for a rebadged vehicle IMHO. I really would just fork over the extra $2K for an acura TL. Yeah, like I just said, they aren't in the same class and aren't comparable, but it is where my money would go when face with the choice.

Well, maybe after some deep discounts set in. ;)

Subaru has Nav in Japan, so we might see that soon. The parts are right there on the shelf.

-juice
    $31K is a little much for a car without a navigation system that's also rebadged.
    should we all sit down cross-legged, hold hands, and sing kumbaya ;-)?
    you don't need to sing, hold hands or anything.

Just putting it out there. I might just keep the Elantra...it is a nice enough car for its shortcomings (power being the main one)...

I just think that all cars in the same price range are relevant...whether we are cross-shopping a base 9-2X and a Honda Accord, a Mini Cooper S, or a Miata. Most people only get to pick one car at a time. I know that is my choice. So I do have to decide how to order my list of needs and wants to get at the best car to fit my mix. Style and performance matter, but when you are hitting the mid-20s with a fancy 165hp Impreza...other cars start to cloud that marker quite a bit. The near $30k for an Aero knocks it out, for me. If I could go $30k, I could give up 20% performance for 20% style and would just get the 9-3 or a Volvo S40 or base 3-series.

Heck, even a truck or SUV might be in the mix for the typical shopper. You hit those prices and the list of competition soars, you stick around $20k and the list is much shorter.

I asked, but no one seems to want to do the work...that's fine. Take your shots if you feel the need to pump your fists on your chests and verify your manhood. I just don't see the premium transferring to a value for the jump up. Never did with the Infinit I series either, which is probably why they didn't sell.

Now, if you could get the 9-2x within 1k of the Impreza...the value equation would be a slam dunk, people would be foolish not to consider the Saab offering. At $4k, it is hard to fathom.

Recall, if you will, that the WRX STi will price close to the Saab Aero and ask yourself if giving up 80 hp and a much more aggressive, true-sports sedan is worth better warranty service and the Saab key fob.
    it was meant to be a gentle tease, not a flame. Your phraseology sounds so much like something I'd hear in Cambridge, MA.
    but I would like to see the discussion/argument about where that extra cost turns into any real value for the consumer...what do I get?

I asked, but no one seems to want to do the work...that's fine.

I, for one, wasn't sure what the answer should be. If I ever get the chance to actually get in the car rather than staring at it from behind a barrier, I'll be sure to let you know.

• r34r34 Member Posts: 178
    Someone might have mentioned it. I don't think many people are willing to pay close to MSRP for a 9-2X.

I think the best thing to do is to wait for Saab to give out the incentive as they did for other Saab cars. Hopefully $2000-$3000 to close the gap of the 9-2X and the Impreza.
  • manavimanavi Member Posts: 150
    I think Saab is going to have to start discounting the 9-2X almost immediately. Otherwise, they are pricing themselves right out of the market.

It is a loaded WRX wagon, for crying out loud, not a BMW.

The WRX wagon typically sells for between $22K and $23K. I would put a value of about $2000 for a sunroof, leather seating, and automatic climate control. If you want HID lights or the 17" wheels you should add another $500 for each of those. That means a loaded Saab 9-2X should go for probably around $26K. If you want you can add another $1000 for the general upgraded interior and cachet of driving a Saab (2 years of free oil changes!) instead of a Subaru.

I would say $27K max for a loaded Saab 9-2X would be reasonable.
This discussion has been closed.