Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 1-Series

Comments

• m4d_cowm4d_cow Posts: 1,491
    lol thats a real lame excuse, i personally dont see any real luxury in a bmw, it IS a great car, but not a luxury car, except for the 6 and 7.
    just like benz, german police and taxi companies use E-240s
    and id also say a luxury car wont use diesel engine (yes i consider 740d a trash)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    That's perhaps an outdated view of diesels. The new E series diesel actually costs $1100 less and will outrun an E320 while delivering far better mileage and range.

-juice
  • saugataksaugatak Posts: 488
    says 1-series will be coming to America but no date is set.

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0406/24/autos-192933.htm
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    It's a 2-door sedan, just like all the current 3er "coupes", with a conventional trunk. For reasons known only to their marketing people, BMWNA has convinced itself that hatchbacks are taboo in a so-called premium brand, even as MB and Audi continue to offer or plan to offer HB competitors in this very price segment.
    Dunno, I sorta disagree. The 1 series hatch is dorky looking, too short and stubby.

That coupe is much better, kind of a German Scion tC. I'm not sure that's what they were aiming for but still, it's better looking than the hatch.

Bring the coupe and maybe the 1 wagon, but not the hatch.

-juice
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    It's just more Photoshop renderings, not real photos of physical vehicles that exist in reality.
    Saw some 3 series photo chops in another tread also. They gave it that 1 series face.

-juice
    "The 1 series hatch is dorky looking, too short and stubby"

too short...maybe not, but dorky...definitely, and rear end = audi a3

as for the coupe, hope the real one looks like the photoshopped one, lookin ok, and definitely a lot better than the hatch

heard theyre cancelling the 2 and 4 names, and now they have M2???
    I meant short in length, it's actually kind of tall. But it ends up with the Toyota Echo effect of looking taller than it should be.

The wagon is longer and looks better. The coupe also just doesn't seem as top heavy.

Won't sedans be odd numbers and coupes, even?

-juice
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,863
    They dropped the even number thing.. Don't know what they will do with an "M" 1-series, though.. as I'm sure they won't use that nomenclature again.

The 1-series wagon looks great to me.. If the new E90 3-series has that general look, I'll be happy with it.

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• sunilbsunilb Posts: 407
    they are planning on selling this in Mexico and Canada, but not the U.S.... we must really be stuck up!?!
    itll be no good if customers dont want them, but the new 1 is coming to US anyway, though not sure when.
    the new 1's front end is somehow too narrow, giving it the "cute" and "dorky" impression.
    make it wider and the impression will be much different.
  • creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    then the 1 coming to America is probably just the coupe. The absence of rear doors got all the excuse for missing a decent rear leg room due to the RWD layout. 'cause even the FWD Prelude is hardly roomier.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Posts: 541
    I think there is a good chance the USA will see the 1-Series, but it will be built at the BMW final assembly line in South Carolina, the same assembly line that assembles the Z4 roadster and the X5 SUV.

The 1-Series and its derivatives will be built at their USA plant in these models:

120d three-door hatchback (2.0-liter I-4 turbodiesel of 140 bhp)
    225i coupe (2.5-liter I-6 of 168 bhp)
    M2 coupe (2.5-liter I-6 with BMW Motorsport cylinder head of 210 bhp)

Note that by the time the 120d is sold in the USA, the entire USA will have switched to low-sulfur diesel fuel, which will make it possible for BMW to sell diesel engined car all over the USA and still meet the stringent Ultra-Low Emissions Vehicle (ULEV) emissions standard.
  • npaladin2000npaladin2000 Posts: 593
    I can just see them building the 120 hatches here, but shipping them up to Canada and down to Mexico to sell, because no one thinks Americans will buy hatchbacks.

Guess I'd better go hide my Mazda3 5 door. And tell all of the Elantra GT owners to hide theirs too. And the Aerio SX owners, and the guy I saw in an Aveo, and those Malibu Maxxes, that Rio Cinco, the Accent 3 door owners, the guy in the Mercedes sport coupe, then there's all the Protege 5s, and the Mazda6 5 doors, and the Focus ZX3s and ZX5s. After all, we're all not supposed to be buying hatchbacks here, because we're Americans, right? ;)
    Hatches are for northern Europeans. Southern Europeans & 3rd world like notchback sedans.

I like the way a fastback hatch looks, but still prefers notchback due to better sound insulation & wider rear visibility.
  • npaladin2000npaladin2000 Posts: 593
    "but still prefers notchback due to better sound insulation & wider rear visibility." DOn't forget the useless for anything but groceries trunk.
    requires the rear suspension bracing, which defeats the cargo carrying capability. Just check out the new Z. & the notchback G35 coupe doesn't need it 'cause it already has the metal rear shelf panel.

No wonder the 1-series got an ugly-looking long wagon-like roof over the rear suspension.
    True, there's no intrusion from front-drive forces, but on first steering movement there's no intrusion from anything else, either. Just blind precision and a cosmic turn-in. This makes the 120d curiously hard to position at first, although once in a bend the steering's weighting does correspond with the forces felt by other body parts. Good, then, but not a religious experience from the god of rear-wheel drive. (Strange, as some 3-Series BMWs - most notably the four-cylinder Compact - steer so naturally.)"

http://www.evo.co.uk/driven/driven_story.php?id=48193

So watch out! Equipping this car w/ engine heavier than the gasoline 4-cyl will dull the steering feel.
    What's hilarious is I openend that link and got a pop-up ad for the much better looking Peugoet 307 5 door. Just hilarious.

Not that I'd ever buy a Peugoet.

-juice
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,863
    Pretty typical review of a BMW.. great car, costs too much.. what else is new?

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

but still no compliment when comes to ride comfort & steering feedback.

I wonder if this little RWD w/ useless back seat can do as well as the next RX-8-based Miata in the 2 areas mentioned above.
    W/ this light-weight engine, they like the steering communication, but the ride still sucks. Fuel consumption is even worse than the 2.0 gas due to the lack of Valvetronic throttle system.

The weak-low-end 1.6 engine has absolutely no power to adjust the cornering line, but the driving fun doesn't disappoint due to 4-wheel-drift balance at the limit.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    ...the continuing complaints about the ride [CAR made the same comment in a comparison test with a new Golf] indicate to me that I wouldn't like the car even if they finally decided to import it, which now seems to be a dead idea.

On to the Mercedes B-Class...
    seems like its gonna be another mistake after the new 7 and the worst ever X3
    X3 is actually selling briskly. It's the sole bright spot in last month's sales.

They drive well, too. I think they're overpriced once you equip them, but it's still the cheapeast BMW SUV and people are snapping them up.

-juice
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,776
    I don't know how many here are BMWCCA members that subscribe to ROUNDEL, but this month's issue has a great write up on the new 1er.

The writer praises the driving dynamics (suspension & brakes) of the car, as well as the interior's fit & finish, comfort and support of the seats are all BMW.

The writer complains about the styling and poor rearward visability.

The 1 series sedan will not be a car for the US. Especially in 4cyl form. The BMW I6 will fit nicely in the engine bay. He did say there was a 2 series hatchback & coupe on its way here for the '06 or '07 model year. He also speculates that a 268hp M2 coupe will be on our shores for '07 due to the fact that the next gen M3 will be V8 powered and the M division will need a 6cyl car to offer.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

as these tests already criticized the diesel 4's effect on the 1's steering communication.

Rear visibility of the notchback coupe should be great, though.