Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 1-Series

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    is the best evidence the new diesels are a great alternative engine to the traditional Gas engines.
  • from R&T (I'm home now):

2-stage, turbocharged diesel engines

BMW - 3.0L inline6 (268 bhp and 413 lb-ft torque)

Opel - 2.0L inline4 (209 bhp and 295 lb-ft)

writer tested a slightly different version of the 3.0L BMW (in US) in a 530d, (369 lb-ft at 2000 rpm) had plenty of power, after a 364 mile trip, average 28.7 mpg versus a normal 530i which averaged 21.1 mpg in a different test by same driver. This car was provided by the BMW guys, not for sale here, yet.

Personally, a 200 hp I4 diesel with 300 torque would move the 1/2 series just fine by my tastes.

In fact, I find the 100 hp VW TDI to be decent, better even than the normal gas engine, since the torque is much higher and makes city driving much smoother...

I asked for this in the beginning, slick, small BMW, add in the award winning BMW diesel engine, and call me a customer in waiting.

Then they go and do this (whacky design) to us and yank the 1 from our shores for the time being. BMW-USA is a fickle, mis-guided crew in my mind...had no idea how to market the 318ti, have no idea how to keep their "market niche" if they offer cheap cars in their lineups...

Whatever. As it is, the Volvo S40 redesign is almost "nail on" what I was looking for...add in the upgraded T5 and I have something to save for...
    a diesel, and you may be the first one to drive a diesel Volvo. (if they build one)
  • has a very nice diesel in EU in the Focus lineup, IIRC...

A little system's share could put a diesel in the US for Volvo, would be worthy a consideration.

Still, the base S40 gets 31mpg highway, which is nice...would be much better than my Elantra with the same mpg that often only gets 26-27 mpg in mixed driving.

I really need to set off a Saturday to do some driving, the new 100 hp diesel Jetta/Golf, the 138 hp diesel passat, the S40 and the 9-2x Linear.

I just can't fathom going past $25k, so the up-grade engines are a touch out of reach...but I do like the idea of the S40 better than the 9-2x at this point...of course, that is always subject to change. :)
    for the year end sales to do my car shopping. I'm mainly thinking of a Honda Accord, but if the deals are good enough on Saabs, Volvos, Infinitis and Acuras I may stretch the budget and get one of those instead. For the Infinti, I'm mainly looking at the slow selling and roomy I35, which I'm sure can be bough heavily discounted. The Saab would be the 9-3 Linear and the Volvo could be either the S40 2.4i or the S60, depending on the deal.
  • creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    let alone the handling, especially the rear-tire road-contact over bumpy corners.
    I will make sure to pay attention to that. Otherwise the car sounds like a great bargain considering its size.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I agree with creakid1, though in my case it was that generation Maxima, it handled well until I went over some uneven bumps, then the axle hopped around a bit.

Besides that I liked it, though.

-juice
    I'll test drive it. I took my van in for an oil change at the dealer (and got the recall issue checked)and rode in an Accord courtesy car. Not a bad car. It was quiet, rode fine, the materials were nice and the price was low.
    I'll test drive it. I took my van in for an oil change at the dealer (and got the recall issue checked)and rode in an Accord courtesy car. Not a bad car. It was quiet, rode fine, the materials were nice and the price was low.
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Posts: 1,491
    lol thats a real lame excuse, i personally dont see any real luxury in a bmw, it IS a great car, but not a luxury car, except for the 6 and 7.
    just like benz, german police and taxi companies use E-240s
    and id also say a luxury car wont use diesel engine (yes i consider 740d a trash)
    That's perhaps an outdated view of diesels. The new E series diesel actually costs $1100 less and will outrun an E320 while delivering far better mileage and range.

-juice
  • saugataksaugatak Posts: 488
    says 1-series will be coming to America but no date is set.

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0406/24/autos-192933.htm
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,367
    It's a 2-door sedan, just like all the current 3er "coupes", with a conventional trunk. For reasons known only to their marketing people, BMWNA has convinced itself that hatchbacks are taboo in a so-called premium brand, even as MB and Audi continue to offer or plan to offer HB competitors in this very price segment.
    Dunno, I sorta disagree. The 1 series hatch is dorky looking, too short and stubby.

That coupe is much better, kind of a German Scion tC. I'm not sure that's what they were aiming for but still, it's better looking than the hatch.

Bring the coupe and maybe the 1 wagon, but not the hatch.

-juice
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    It's just more Photoshop renderings, not real photos of physical vehicles that exist in reality.
    Saw some 3 series photo chops in another tread also. They gave it that 1 series face.

-juice
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Posts: 1,491
    "The 1 series hatch is dorky looking, too short and stubby"

too short...maybe not, but dorky...definitely, and rear end = audi a3

as for the coupe, hope the real one looks like the photoshopped one, lookin ok, and definitely a lot better than the hatch

heard theyre cancelling the 2 and 4 names, and now they have M2???
    I meant short in length, it's actually kind of tall. But it ends up with the Toyota Echo effect of looking taller than it should be.

The wagon is longer and looks better. The coupe also just doesn't seem as top heavy.

Won't sedans be odd numbers and coupes, even?

-juice