Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 1-Series

Comments

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    When did BMW start building V-6's? Do they have dipsticks?
  • stevecebustevecebu Posts: 493
    just makes me drool. A 201 hp twin turbo beaut of a diesel, installed in the 123d that runs to 60 mph in about 7 seconds and still gets 54 mpg? Where do I sign?

They'd have my check in hand today! without even a test drive if they sold it in the US.
    I'd gladly trade off the 6 cyl power for 50+ mpg and it would probably use a 6 spd manual to do it. Sweet car but if it ever does come to the US it won't be for many years if ever. :sick:
    I am comparing the 318ti. Remember those?

I try not to it was hardly BMW's best effort.

See, BMW has everything going for them. Even if there are more folks thinking like you they still will have a line waiting to get their hands on the new 1-series. Being competitive in pricing is not BMW's concern. Deliver the best performance sedan/coupe in its segment and uphold the prestige factor are more of a priority for them.

Yeah I can think of a few car companies that thought that way and are now very deep in the Red so maybe you are right but I still maintain you will not sell a base 128i series for $28K and the base 135i series for $35K .
    Oh sure they can ask that much and maybe for the first 6 months people will check them out and maybe even buy them but once the newness wears off and the small cramped size gets to them they will realize they just paid $28K+ for a very powerful car the size of a Geo Metro. They had better hope the trunk can at least hold a set of golf clubs because if not most people would just get a Z4 because those rear seats will be unusable for $28K+
    I still maintain there are too many cars in that price bracket for BMW to sell them at $28K for a base model.
    As far as eliteness goes BMW's are pretty common nowadays and are great cars but if you price a car too high they'll find many people will but something else that's bigger and roomier and costs less. Sure it won't drive like a BMW but it'll be close enough and probably more comfort and for the same or less since many manufacturers discount their cars unlike BMW.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    You know what I mean!

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• sunilbsunilb Posts: 407
    I'd be all over this 123d, especially if it came in a 3 or 5-door configuration.

Good handling, great gas mileage and some utility as well!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,122
    The problem with BMW's weight saving measures is that they are on the costly side. Front Aluminum Susupension pieces & Front Aluminum Body panels like they use on the 3ers & 5ers. 3200 lbs seems about right.

I'm all for the diesel option, but it won't be available here the first model year. Much like the hatchback 318ti that BMW believes it made the gravest mistake at bringing in an entry level BMW with a 4 banger.

We're only going to see the NA 3.0 INLINE 6 & Twin Turbo Inline 6.

I'm all for a 4 cyl gas powered turbo 1 series too, but I should be happy they're even bringing the 1 series over here in the first place.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

We're only going to see the NA 3.0 INLINE 6 & Twin Turbo Inline 6.
    I'm all for a 4 cyl gas powered turbo 1 series too, but I should be happy they're even bringing the 1 series over here in the first place.

I agree they will most likely not bring over a 4 cyl gas engine. I do hope they bring over the diesel tho. It won't be for a while but BMW will follow whatever trends are popular. If everyone else starts selling lots of diesel cars you can be sure BMW will have one ready to go.
    The 1 series is much nicer looking in hatchback for and 4 doors but I'm in the minority that likes hatchbacks and wagons.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    I'm in the same minority. I think it's a great shame they chose not to bring over the hatchback, just at a time when 3- and 5-doors are making a big comeback in the U.S.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    the lightest car in their current US lineup is the Z4 3.0i Roadster at 3020 lbs. Any guesses on what the US 1 series will come in at?

I'm guessing 3250 for the 128 and 3350 for the 135.
    You're not alone. The coupe is utterly worthless to me. a 4 door 135 sedan would be perfect.
    but I still maintain you will not sell a base 128i series for $28K and the base 135i series for $35K .

Where do you guys get a 7k price between the 28 and 35? BMW bumps the price 4500-5000 between the engine choices. So if you're putting the 128 at 28k, the 135 must be about 33k. They're not gonna bump the price 7k...there's no precedent for that much of a gap between the 3.0 engines.

Sure it won't drive like a BMW but it'll be close enough and probably more comfort and for the same or less since many manufacturers discount their cars unlike BMW

All non-M BMWs are discounted. Always. This isn't 1990. BMW is in a tough market and you should be able to buy any BMW for near invoice (or well below invoice via ED).
    Where do you guys get a 7k price between the 28 and 35? BMW bumps the price 4500-5000 between the engine choices. So if you're putting the 128 at 28k, the 135 must be about 33k. They're not gonna bump the price 7k...there's no precedent for that much of a gap between the 3.0 engines.

I already answered that question in my last post and it was not $7K it was 5K if you add it up the difference is something like $5,500 between the 328i and the 335i and $5,100 between the 528i and the 535i. If my math is wrong in that post them by all means cut an paste it so I can see where I added incorrectly.
    Also it's just a logical guesstimate. Only BMW knows for sure. i think the coupe will have limited appeal in such a small size but they will probably have a 4 door soon afterwards.

You also didn't read why I used MSRP and stated my reasons for doing so. Do you know you can get the 1 series which is unreleased for invoice? I don't, too many factors which muddy the waters, so I used MSRP. What is invoice on it? We are trying to gauge MSRP not out the door prices.

I'm glad you mentioned the tough market which drives prices down. i wonder how many 135i's BMW would sell if they sold them with a sport package for $28K out the door? I know it won't happen but it would boost them up a lot if they did. They would stomp their competitors flat with that inline six Turbo in a light coupe at a few grand above a WRX.
    Still it will be higher, probably close to what I've shown.

I'm glad you mentioned the tough market which drives prices down. i wonder how many 135i's BMW would sell if they sold them with a sport package for $28K out the door?

It wouldn't help them much. The people who want a car like that will gladly pay in the 30s for it. Nothing like it exists in the market.

I know it won't happen but it would boost them up a lot if they did. They would stomp their competitors flat with that inline six Turbo in a light coupe at a few grand above a WRX.

Profit margins would be tight and like I said, it'll move fine with the price in the 30s. The 330 in the e46 sold at about 1 to 5 margin with the smaller 325 models. The e90 is selling a bit more 35s right now but the market will probably correct. The 328 is the bread and butter for the 3. I'd imagine the 128 will do the same - at 26-27k they'll probably sell well above the more enthusiast oriented 31-32k 135. Plus the 128 may offer a more satisfying drive - lighter, less weight in front, better balance much as the e90 328 and e46 325 felt a bit more nimble than the e46 330 and e9 335.

PS: BMW has made it clear that the hatch won't come and there's not been a test shot of a 4 door 1 series in years.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,907
    that's what i see, too (here on edmunds, at least). $5500 more in coupe form, $5900 more in sedan form.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

PS: BMW has made it clear that the hatch won't come and there's not been a test shot of a 4 door 1 series in years.

Well, I certainly could be wrong, but maybe, just maybe, if the 1-series coupe sells like hotcakes, BMW will consider more variants for us (and not just the drop-top).

• kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,946
    The one positive is that they are already making hatches, so they just have to federalize it...

No sedan, yet, though..

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536

The pics are far better than those originally released.
    The rear end looks a lot better than the earlier photos, but I'm still not loving that ducktail treatment..

I was hoping that was just a spoiler, but it looks like the actual trunklid..

its both. The shape of the lid does turn up at the tip, but there is also a small glued on piece. Not sure why, though. It seems to follow the line of the lid exactly, so the glued on lip does not add real height. weird.

anyway, i like the interior pics. very simple layout.

I see what you mean.. It has a little lip spoiler like the one that was on the E46 Performance Pkg models..

I think it will still have the ducktail, even without the spoiler..

It's okay... I just like a cleaner look.. I have the same problem with the Z4.