Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 1-Series

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,693
    Tagman

Gorgeous car. Best of luck with it! You've got a 911 also right? That's some house you've got there too. Funny you don't have a digital camera :confuse: The picture quality is great though.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

While I haven't seen a pic of a 1er in Montego Blue (I haven't seen any 1 on the road yet), I can tell you that my wife's Montego Blue '07 X3 3.0si draws lots of compliments due to its color.

My 32nd birthday is tomorrow. And besides the fact that my Dad scheduled a 7:00 AM delivery for a truckload of toilets its going to be great. After work it is off to the Yankee game with my wife. The 135i coupe is at the top of my wish list :P

• tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Yes, I do have an '07 Carrera S Cab. I haven't visited the 911 forum for a little while now, but I recall enjoying some of your very good posts there.

As far as the camera goes... yes, it's weird that I don't have a camera. So, here's the real scoop. I had bought one about a year and a half ago, primarily for my wife. She took her first trip to New York City with a friend and the camera was stolen. (True!) I have yet to buy her a new one, and she shares one now with my daughter, but I'm honestly not about to use a camera already shared by two women... I know better than to do that. I'll eventually get myself one later in the Spring and if she wants one, I'll get her another one as well. In the meantime, I've been using my iPhone... which has no zoom or brightness adjustment at all.

Ahh, yes... from one baseball fan to another... enjoy that game!! If you drink too many beers while you are there, maybe some of those toilets will be installed by the time you get back. :)

Anyway, have a happy birthday Brad! Sounds like you will, and hopefully your wish list will come true... at least for the top item. ;)

TM
  • bruski2bruski2 Posts: 11
    Hey,
    Been looking at the 1 for sometime now, expecially after seeing it in Europe.
    Last week, finally saw it. and yeah havent had my heart skip a beat from a car in a while.
    Anyway, just purchsed
    Black Saphire
    Boston Taupe Leather
    Auto with Steptronic
    Convert.
    Premium Pkge.
    Cold package.

cant wait for delivery!
    oh yeah cost..
    See ya on the road, Ill be the one grinning ear to ear. My bank account wont be smling tho, but gotta do what gotta do.
    Later :)
    Gorgeous car! You will enjoy it so much... if the wait doesn't kill you. ;)

Post pics after you get it.

TM
    Thanks Tag,
    Yeah, cant wait, its in stock, saw the vehicle! Just gotta get rid of my wifes c-320 first.
    Naturally the dealer here offered me dirt for my MB so gotta try to sell it privately.
    Yeah, once i saw the 128i convert in person, had to have it! Will post some pics once I take delivery.
    Did test drive yesterday. Everyone is saying the 128 has no "balls" but compared to my current 325xi, I thought the 128 had much better pick-up, even with automatic.
    Im a grown up so it really doesnt matter to me if the car does 5 or 6 seconds from 0-60, you can still get a speeding ticket in either. Also, at $4 per gallon for gas, dont mind the extra gas mileage.
    Later, good luck
    Thanks for the well wishes. I did have a very happy birthday today (as long as I'm around for it, it is a good birthday). While I didn't get the 135i & the 7:00 AM toilet truck didn't come until 11:00AM, The Yankees won 3-2, I got a Joba Chamberlin #62 Authentic Jersey from my wife and son, my wife and 18 month old son suprised me and came to work to have lunch with me for a little while (the best present of all), and I got to drive my wife's '07 x3 3.0si. 32 is going to be a great year for me!

Shoot now I cant decide on the convert or the coupe?
    Wife says coupe is more practial while havent owned a convert since my 1972 MG midget and think would love to have the ragtop.
    Have all but signed off on deal for the 128i convert. in black! Given the choice would u opt for the coupe or convert?
    btw, live in N.East (ny), will only be using car for fun stuff. Also cant deny that the coupe for some reason looks hotter than the convert.
    By the way we also have a 325xi. (for the more practial side)
    thanks for the input.
    bski.
    If you must have the additional rear passenger room offered by the coupe than your question is answered. If not, then it sounds like you already have a hardtop and you should get that convertible!

Personally, I know that I MUST have one. Of course, the weather here where I live is spectacular much of the year. If I did not already have the Porsche Cabrio, I would not hesitate for a millisecond to get the 1-Series as a convertible. It's freakin' gorgeous!!

But, whatever you get, you will surely love it. This car gets in your skin! And the good news is that you can't make a mistake no matter which one you get!

TM
  • jrynnjrynn Posts: 162
    Perhaps other people know this about convertibles, but I didn't before I bought one. In COLD weather, you can put the top down, crank the heater, and still be warm. (And by cold, I mean almost down to freezing if you can pull off the British touring look (or the skate punk look) and wear a hat.) In HOT weather, if you put the top down, the air conditioner won't make any difference. Even 75 on a sunny summer day can be uncomfortable, esp. if you're in a suit.)

With my 318iC, I had more fun with the top down the year I lived in Maine than the year I lived in Florida.

The other thing I didn't know about convertibles until I was an owner was that when people break into them, they cut the roof rather than break windows. And even in 1992, a BMW roof cost $2,500 to replace.

The 1 series convertible is a gorgeous car.
    How true!! I've been driving a convertible for decades now (yikes!), and there are many times I'd rather turn on the heater to warm things up, then to turn on the AC, which is close to pointless, to cool things off.

Some convertibles are better with the wind and air then others. The Porsche is one of the best you can imagine... it can be freezing out, and when the heater is on, it's nice and toasty inside the cabin without too much air blowing in, due to the terrific airrflow. I've read that the 1er isn't too bad, but can get a bit windy, and that the windscreen will help out a lot. If there are rear passengers in the 1er 'vert, there is a special heater vent for rear passengers to help them out. I think that is a VERY cool feature.

The 1er really makes for one great-looking convertible. There's just something special about it! :shades:

TM
  • flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,644
    I had a good laugh at your post, then I saw where you live... Driving a convertable in the summer time wtih the A/C... Try that in Phoenix AZ when its 118 outside... NO A/C is going to cool you off... Now driving when its cold, turn the seat heater on and set the heater on, and its a nice and toasty fun..
    ...when its 118 outside... NO A/C is going to cool you off... Now driving when its cold, turn the seat heater on and set the heater on, and its a nice and toasty fun.

Bingo!

It's definately easier to warm up than to cool off.

TM
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Convertible all the way. Bring shades. :shades:

Caveat - make sure the top folds OK when it's extremely cold. See what BMW says about that.

I've found in my Miata (vinyl top) that it folds easily up to about 40 degrees F, any colder and it can potentially damage the top.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,389
    I don't think that's a problem with a BMW soft top.. I put ours down the day we got it.. at the balmy temperature of 24 degrees..

Cloth, not vinyl, though...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Yeah, cloth is better about that.

Still, 24 degrees!? :surprise:

That's pushing it even for die-hard like me.

The Miata has a great heater, it will bake your feet actually, but I wish I had heated seats.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,285
    Yeah, but you can fit a tonneau cover, which I don't believe is a possibility for any of the Bimmers. With only the driver's side of the tonneau open, it can be quite comfortable down to very low temps in a roadster. In a convertible, not so much.
    Congratulations on your excellent decision! You are going to love that car as much or more than any car you've ever owned... that's my prediction.

Goodness, is it really that bad out there?

TM
    Go for it.

What good is a cool car if noone can see you? ;)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,389
    Today, on the way to work..

Some dark gray/black color... Not sure if it was 128i or 135i, as it was going the other way, and I didn't realize it was a 1-series until it was past me...

Still had temporary tags..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    These posts have been moved to the BMW 1-Series Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion. Please continue over there.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Hey Bruski,

I look forward to talking more about your car on this forum. Just as long as we don't discuss the price, let's continue to discuss the car itself here... otherwise our discussions will get all fragmented and end up a dead thread. ;)

I did read about your comments regarding the sports suspension, and I completely understand. If you really intend on driving in a casual touring style, then that "softer" ride will be a genuine pleasure as opposed to the firmer ride.

TM
    Thanks for the reply tag.
    Yeah, you know as I do a bimmer drive is a bimmer drive no matter what package you get.
    Guess Ill worry about the firm drive when I get MY porsche.
    Give ya a shout after I take delivery (this friday) tentitive....yeahhhhh!
    bski
  • Test drove a 135 coupe. What a blast, it seems like a great car, very fast and very nimble feeling. What's not great is a specced example without premium package or even leather and a manual transmission is $38K before tax and fees. If the car was about $4-5K less it would be a no brainer to me, but it's quite ridiculously expensive IMO.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Name one car with the same degree of performance and refinement that costs less...
    The solution for you is to get the 128i, which achieves your price objective.

Otherwise, if you want that twin-turbo, it seems you ought to recognize that it comes with a price tag attached... and no competition at that price.

If anything, it's a steal! A rare bargain, if there ever was one!

TM
  • gplayerjrgplayerjr Posts: 10
    Sell...

Need to blame a weak American Dollar vs. the Euro for the pricing....BMW had to adjust!
    wanna play? gotta pay!
    ;)
  • I'm going to have to drive a lightly used Corvette and see what it drives like compared to the 1, as they're about the same price.