Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 1-Series

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,907
    yeah, you are probably right. And it will be a shame.

Even if the 128i is $28k to start, I think it will be a hard sell. At $30k, I think it may be a loser. I could see buyers at $35k on the 135i. More than that and it is tough to justify.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    That's a long list of options but BMW should not be criticized for offering choice.

If you walk in to a dealership and they don't have any models with less than $8000 in options, then you have a legitimate complaint...
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    The car makes less and less sense the closer in price it is to a 3-series. If it was way lighter than a 3-series and therefore performed much better, then it would make more sense, but it sounds like all you get is a smaller back seat and not much weight savings.
    If you're choosing a coupe in the first place, how important is the back seat anyway?
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Reasons to go with a smaller car are to have a lighter vehicle that can accelerate, brake, handle better with the same size engine as well as use less fuel. If it only weighs a little less than a 3-series, you won't see those benefits.
    Why make the already small 3-series coupe's back seat even smaller if there is no significant cost savings or performance benefit going with the smaller car?
    The reality here is BMW just needs a car to slot beneath the 3 series now that it doesn't have any car under $30 grand.

If the 1 series is too good it would cannibalize the 3 series.

Besides, if light weight is the goal, why are we talking about massive 19" wheels, heated seats, Navi, etc?

Who here is interested in a base model 128i with no options? That'll be the lightest one.
    i would say still important, otherwise you'd choose a true sportscar, would you not?

A lot of times the back seat is psychological. You can seat 4 "in a pinch". It drops insurance premiums.

We drive alone 90% of the time. Plus, if you own a BMW you probably have more than one car, and the other car will likely be your more practical one (X5 perhaps?).
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=122859

Even a Caliber is 3248 lbs.

BTW, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here. Truth is I expected there to be more weight savings as well.

Perhaps the days of light vehicles are just long gone?
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    You're right on the money - it's all about marketing a new entry level car to consumers now that the 3-series has "grown up."

If the 1-series only weighs 100 lbs less than the 3-series, the choice will simply boil down to whether you want the added cabin space of the 3 vs. the lower price of the 1 - they will both be virtually indistinguishable from the driver seat.

I also agree that, from a "fun to drive" point of view, a 128i with no options will be the one to get.
    Plus, most of the weight you add for the 135i is on the front axle, so the 128 may be better balanced.
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,946
    128i will have 230 hp... It will be plenty fast...

It will be a trendy little car.... I think we aren't getting a hatch or sedan, to keep from cannibalizing 3-series sales..

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

That thought has crossed my mind, too. But, if I'm honest with myself, I know that I will be kept awake at night knowing there was a faster model available. ;b

I'm surprised people aren't even discussing that.

Since when is 230hp not enough? It's lighter and more affordable. Even if it starts at $28k, imagine euro delivery, maybe $25-26k?

That seems like a much better value than a loaded 135i. The 128i euro delivered would only have to compete with the VW GTI and base WRX, maybe MazdaSpeed3.
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,946
    An E46 325i with Sport package and only 184 HP is a hoot to drive... The 128i will make that look sick.

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Euro D on a 128 will start at around 23-23.5k (assuming 28-29k MSRP) with 1k dealer profit and shipping included.

That's a stripped car though. Add sport, xenons and you're up around 25k. Or the price of a negotiated WRX.
  • kernickkernick Posts: 4,072
    Don't forget the new Volvo C30 as a competitor to the 128i. If you keep your finger from clicking off the options you'll be able to get a Euro-delivered C30 1.0 model for about $21K. I know its FWD, but so are some of the cars you mention.
  • It's a Volvo. It's not even on the same planet.
  • punkr77punkr77 Posts: 183
    I think way to many people imagine the need for a bigger vehicle.

I lived with a 4 seat coupe as my only car twice. Once for 2 years (Civic EX coupe) and once for 6 years (SVT Cobra). I can count the number of times I actually wished for a bigger back seat on one hand. Now that I'm married, and the wife has a sedan, I feel even less desire for the extra 2 doors. My only complaint was with the Mustangs' small trunk opening (the trunk itself was a great size, it was just difficult fitting anything large through the opening.

That said, the closer the 135i comes to 40k, the less interested in it I am. Especially with the 370Z, and WRX STI on the horizon for less and the Skyline for close to the same price. I'll be very interested on seeing the bottom line price. All I really want is big power, small car, RWD, manual tranny, and a sunroof. Everything else is just fluff to me.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    I don't completely understand the weight difference between the 128i and 135i.

The turbos and plumbing alone can't weigh 200 lbs. What else is adding weight to the 135i?