Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 1-Series

Comments

• tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    LJFLX!! What a nice surprise! Thank you.

I ordered a 135i Coupe on January 11, and took delivery on March 19. The car is fantastic. The only "problem" isn't with the car, but is with me... LOL. I keep wanting to open the top up, with all this great weather out here. So... I have been talking to my rep at the dealership about how to make a change from the Coupe to the Convertible. The dealer is so cooperative. He is going to give me a terrific swap deal... (I'll still lose some $, of course)... and I must go through the agonizing wait once again for the car to be built.

I am glad that things are good with you. (I guess I should say "I told you so" on the price of gasoline... HA! HA!)
    It's good that your cars have worked out so well for you. That's always a nice feeling... a feeling I certainly hope to have in the near future.

Business for me is a little more challenging than usual due to the economic situation, but I'll manage through it, as I have in the past.

I got out of the market when it was messed up, and got back in during the surge, fortunately. I'm intentionally a little heavy now in those battered financials and home building stocks, as I expect a better than average return as they recover. Also, I bought Google the day before it's incredible surge... lucky me.

About the SUVs... My wife also insists on three rows, and I am waiting for some higher gas-mileage SUVs to show up. No way I'm going with the LX, at 12 mpg city. I just won't do that any more.

Recently, I quit the "other" Edmunds forum for a while. I do miss some of the interaction there, but I got so sick of some of the personal attacks, and totally stupid and ignorant redneck posts that showed absolutely no class whatsoever. I needed a breath of fresh air. Sometimes I read the posts there, and all it does is confirm why I left. I now post on an entirely different website most of the time. At some point in the future, I might post on the 'other" Edmunds forum again... we'll see.

I've occassionally run into Merc1 on another website as well. He's happy there, no doubt. Do you post anywhere that we can chat once in a while?

If you have any questions about the 1-Series, feel free to ask.

Anyway, very nice to hear from you. You made my day! Take care of yourself.

All my best, back at 'cha,

TM
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,687
    Tag

We need to find a way to exchange e-mails. Let me know if you have any ideas. Also maybe we can meet up in the off topic thread though I haven't visited that yet.

I left the other forum for a similar reason as I was attacked personally for the car I drove. When that level of immaturity (heck call it insecurity) happens it's time to forget it and move on.

If you come across Merc say hello for me. He's a guy I always liked and respected. Let him know an SL is in my crosshairs in the next few years. When my son takes the G to college in 2010 I'll pick up an SL as long as business stays as good as I expect.

I'm sure BMW will please you with the 1-series. I'm still looking for one on the road. Let me know what direction you go in on the SUV front.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,574
    Recently, I quit the "other" Edmunds forum for a while. I do miss some of the interaction there, but I got so sick of some of the personal attacks, and totally stupid and ignorant redneck posts that showed absolutely no class whatsoever.

Unfortunately, things will remain that way until proof of opposable thumbs is required for registration...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

From what I recall, there is the capability to exchange "private messages" in our carspace page. I remember doing this some time ago with another member. It acts as sort of a link between our genuine email addresses, and alerts us when there is a private message. It retains our confidential status and privacy as well.

You can try it with just a test message, and if it works, I'll reply!

Send a message from your own carspace page (not from your personal email) to:

tagman @carspace.com

Let's see what happens.

TM
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,662
    Well, the 1 series has been out since March and I've seen all kinds of pictures on the internet, as well as "built my own" hundreds of times on BMWUSA's website, and even got to check out the 1 series first hand at the NY Auto Show. But up until Saturday after work I haven't seen one on the road. I saw a Crimson Red 135i Coupe. It was gorgeous!

Powered By Honda2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD

I've seen several on the road. The styling just doesn't work for me. Still a great drive, however.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    It's difficult to visualize, or describe, the 1 coupe as "gorgeous". Perky, fresh, neat, unique, funky...perhaps, but "gorgeous"? I would reserve that for the M3 coupe. Now, in cabriolet form, the 1's shape works much better.
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,380
    I test drove a 128i two weeks ago. Very, very nice. 135i is next on my list!

The driver controls are very well sorted and the only complaint relates to space for my knees when the seat is adjusted to make it comfortable for a 5"2" daughter to maintain circulation in the lower calves! My knees needed to rest against the side of the lower dash. Adjusted normally with no rear passenger was much better.

Needless to say the drive was impeccable. No SP but for daily drives, it is a very potent package for fun, economy and comfort as well.

Regards,
    OW
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,662
    Not that I'm in the market anyway, but I really dig the MINI Cooper S at the sub (way sub) $30K price point.

3er Coupes are much more popular around these parts. 9 out of 10 E92 3er coupes that I see are 328xi while the remaining 1 out of 10 are 335i Coupes (With Sport Package)

Powered By Honda2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD

I can tell you the Mini exhibit at the NYIAS was jammed with potential buyers! You could sense the desire by the enthusiasm!

Regards,
    OW
    My wife wants a Clubman but Louisville doesn't have a Mini dealer yet. The dealer group that holds the BMW franchise recently opened a Smart dealership, but no Mini store for the forseeable future...

• kperesskperess Posts: 29
    You simply MUST drive the 135 -- i did in both auto and the manual -- it is a BEAST :) Couldn't wipe the smile off my face. Took it up a very long and steep hill and there was always more power when I wanted it. What a drive.

My problem is whether I want all that power for a daily driver -- and I live in the U.P. of Michigan -- not the best climate for all that power . May settle for the 128 in a manual -- it has almost the same HP as a '95 M3 a friend owns and is three generations newer -- also has more HP than an '05 3.0 Z4 I was looking at. Hmmm am I talking myself into this car? :)

Definitely take the time to drive the 135 -- simply amazing.

Ken
    Well, based on your enthused post, I will do just that. It is one of my top choices for next ride. Perhaps this weekend.

Regards,
    OW
  • Holy schmokes -

From a engine - driver interface perspective, 135i and 128i drive as if they are almost 2 entirely different vehicles.

If you've not driven both, it would be a strong consideration to do so before making any kind of a purchase decision.

If you prefer rowing throught the gears and working to stay in the power band - the 128i is great fun. If you're not so keen about manual transmission fun 'n games, a 135i with auto/sport may well be the best all around rear drive sports-car for the $$$.

All depends on your point of view.
    I'm the latter...good to know. 135i in close range....

Regards,
    OW
    You are right -- they drive like two different cars. The 135 requires that you realize how much POWER is available -- it is probably really easy to get in trouble if you don't pay attention. Your recommendation that the auto would be a best all around sports car is right on -- however if you want to play....the manual is the only way to go :)

The torque range is amazing -- if you wanted to drive around town in 3rd gear all day, you could, provided that you didn't hit a stop light or stop sign.

The 128 was more mannerly, power-wise, but had plenty get up and go when you pushed it. I'd be wary of getting the auto in this car -- the fun factor with the manual was quite nice (I will admit that I didn't drive an auto in the 128) and I fear that the auto would not give you the push when you wanted it.

Just my 2 cents :)

Ken
    I drove the 128 and the auto was excellent. Rev match was right there but chassis is geared to mixed blend rather than pure sport according to my butt-o-meter. Power is adequate but not pure performance as TT has the torque to play in all rev bands.

I've got to drive it soon.

Regards,
    OW
    Which TT did you drive? I've driven both the 2.0 and the 3.2 and both do have good acceleration BUT neither throws you back in the seat the way either 135 does. Both of the TTs remind me of my V6 Passat -- you give it gas and before you realize it, you're doing eighty.

Handling-wise the 3.2 TT I drove had the magnetic resonance and you really can tell the difference in ride when you switch between the two modes. The TT is a really good looking car -- however, neither the 2.0 nor the 3.2 gave me the feel that both of the 1 series cars did -- in the 1's I felt like I was truly driving them...not just riding in them.

Ken
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    TT is pure performance? Huh?
    Not the Audi TT... the Twin Turbo 135i I was referring to.

Regards,OW
    Performance par excellence --- but I still think it can serve as a daily driver -- has good manners and the ride wasn't too bad -- the 135 I drove had the sport package and it seems that BMW is finally getting what they need from the tire manufacturers re: less road noise and softer tire ride.

I'm really impressed by the 135 -- just got to decide if: a) it's not too much power for me (I really don't need speeding tickets :blush: and b) If I want to spend the additional 5K+ for it -- it does come with some stuff standard that the 128 does not but some of those things (upgraded interior trim) are not of interest to me.

Enjoy your test drive and do see if you can try both the auto and the manual.

Ken
  • rascal99rascal99 Posts: 54
    I just got back from 2 weeks in Germany. The 1-series hatch could be seen EVERYWHERE, especially in Munich. I saw exactly one 1-series coupe the entire two weeks. We did the BMW factory tour and visited the Zentrum where they display the new models. The 1-series tii was on display. Very nice. They wouldn't let us sit in the car though.
    There was also a large number of Audi A3's on the road. Since this hatch is offered in the US I may be getting the new model in Sept.
    I was definitely getting jealous of the plethora of small utility minded cars in EU. Just wish BMW would get with the program in the US.
  • flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,642
    Yes, the amount of interesting cars and small SUVs in europe is mind boggeling. Like you I got whiplash from looking around at them all. BMW will never bring over the hatch 1 series, Audi's A3 isn't selling as well as Audi had hoped for, and now that the US dollar is dropping, they well lose even more money on the car.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    Actually, the A3 is hitting Audi's numbers. In socal they're everywhere now. It took some time but I see a few a day - beyond my wife's.
  • rascal99rascal99 Posts: 54
    I think as long as they keep the prices under reasonable control and the gas prices stay inflated they will sell. But, it is easy to see this car mid-30's if you get silly with options.
    I was looking at an A3 a few weeks ago and was surprised how little they appeared willing to deal with me. They had few A3's on the lot, but a butt load of A4's. Hopefully inventory levels will increase for '09 and dealing will be better.

Yes, I agree about the 1-series hatch {sigh}
    Tag

We need to find a way to exchange e-mails. Let me know if you have any ideas. Also maybe we can meet up in the off topic thread though I haven't visited that yet.

LJ, I look forward to exchanging emails with you. You must, however, go to your carspace page, and to your email / message page. When you are on that email page, you must then select "email preferences" and add me to your "allowed correspondents". Add me as "tagman@carspace.com" ... Then we can exchange emails.
    Hope you read this.

Take care,

TM
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    I must say that the new 1 Series Coupe is a bit disappointing in the "looks" department.

Any thoughts that the new 1 Series was an attempt by BMW to recall the good old days when they made vehicles for enthusiasts that were so much fun to drive like the wonderful old 2002 model, have been thrown out the window by this overweight, gizmo-laden, ghastly-looking coupe!

BMW made a serious error with this vehicle. Its two versions are too close in bulk and price to the two 3 Series Coupes. The interior is also much like the 3 Series vehicles.

Let's face it: BMW got the coupe right the first time with the beautiful 3 Series. There was absolutely no justification for creating the 135i version of the coupe when the 335i Coupe has been universally praised as one of the greatest vehicles the world has ever known, spoken of with M-like reverence, for a price of just a few thousand bucks more than the 135i.

It is sad to see a once proud company that always put driving pleasure first, lose its way-first with the bloated 7 Series, then the X5 and X3, next with the 1 Series Coupes and finally with the purposeless, who knows why it was created, X6.

Wouldn't a small sporty hatchback with good mpg and folding rear seats be more what we need from BMW at this time of inflated gasoline prices? (Even Porsche is planning to produce one.) Nope-instead we get this sorry excuse for a who knows what called the X6 that gets a gas-guzzling 16 mpg and may win the "most impractical vehicle ever made" award.

I have proudly driven BMW vehicles since 1993, but the chain will finally be broken this August. BMW is no longer my car company. I will defend them on Edmunds no longer.

I eagerly await Porsche's release of that sporty, useful little hatchback. It should be a hoot! :)
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,281
    "Wouldn't a small sporty hatchback with good mpg and folding rear seats be more what we need from BMW. . ."

Yes, yes it is. And while we're dreaming, maybe it'll come with a dipstick & real tires.

Either way, excellent post.
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Thank you. I will patiently await Porsche's small sporty hatchback. It is exactly what I am looking for. I drove its cheap "cousin", the VW Rabbit and that was a lot of fun. I am getting palpitations thinking what a blast a small Porsche hatchback will be. :)
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Re: Dipstick. I look at it this way. Either the electronic "dipstick" they use is fiercely and deadly accurate, or they must be prepared to pick up the cost under warranty for any repair necessitated by improper oil level. So, as a consumer, that seems to make life a bit easier for me. :shades: Of course, the tougher question is what happens when a car is out of warranty..... :confuse: :blush: