Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 1-Series

Comments

• mr42hhmr42hh Posts: 9
    When I test drove a 120d while trying to find out if I'd like a bit more power than the 118, it was a coupe. My girlfriend said it looked like an old peoples' car, she loves the hatchback though.
    The coupe wouldn't be very useful, because I have to travel with lots of tools and parts boxes. Any gas engine would be downright impossible economically.
  • jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    Congrats for your new car.

Last winter my wife and I drove along two weeks a diesel 118d on a 1,500-mile tour from the Pyrenees to the Alps and back. The car behaved fantastically, even being as she was full loaded (back seats folded) with heavy luggage. On snow, she was even more efficient than some SUV riding ahead of us :) —or was it that the other driver was unable to manage the SUV?

And the consume was really frugal ;) .

Enjoy the black little greyhound!

Regards,
    Jose
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Beautiful car indeed! I'm envious of the fuel-economy and practicality.

TM
  • podpod Posts: 176
    I have yet to see a 1 series BMW on the road. I live in RI and travel on interstate 95 often. None in the malls, none on 95, none anywhere.
    Has the series been successful in meeting its projections? I think it is a very appealing package but I am single and have had a few BMWs in the past and liked them (although they were expensive to maintain--now not a consideration for the first years). I tend to keep my cars for at least 8 years.

I would like to hear from some knowledgeable person that sales are going along as planned if that is the case.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    Through June BMW has sold 6000+ 1 series cars. They aimed to sell 10k 1 series car in 2008. Everybody believes they will hit that easily. 6 more months of 2008 and no hint that things are slowing for the 1.
  • dhanleydhanley Posts: 1,531
    I had a chance to drive a 135 convertible a few days ago. What a fantastic little car. Goes like a shot, comfortable, excellent handling. Best way to describe it is like a slightly less edgy and more comfortable e46 m3.

*really* want one now. ;)
  • jrynnjrynn Posts: 162
    1-Series sales in the US were 6101 through June 30 according to the company's news releases.

But it's worth noting that 3-series sales at @60,000 YTD are down 13% from 2007 and BMW's overall passenger CAR sales are down @8%. YTD. (And that doesn't factor in the nearly 20% drop in SAV (X3/X5) sales).

I wouldn't assume that your dealer is feeling like (s)he's holding all the cards in negotiations just because the 1 is new and "hot" Your dealer still has to move metal to pay the rent/utilities.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,663
    right here on edmunds. They give the 128i a great review.

Full Test BMW 128i

Powered By Honda2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,579
    I drove a 128i ragtop w/slushbox during Drive for the Cure.It didn't feel all that slow, although I would have to have a stick if I were to own one. The deal-breaker for me is the cramped rear seat. I might as well buy an M Coupe or a CPO Cayman.
    OT: The vehicle that really surprised me was the X6 35i- it was very quick and handled much better than such a big and heavy truck has a right to. Pointless but fun.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,438
    I might as well buy an M Coupe or a CPO Cayman.

??
    But then you could get a 128i coupe for only $30k.
    If you find a CPO Cayman for $30k, please let me know. I think I may be able to talk the wife into that one.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    I test drove a 128i with the Steptronic a few months ago. Nice package, but, like roadburner, I'd get the stick shift as well.

If I kept the options to a minimum, I think a new one would retail for $30-32K. When the time comes for me - in a few years - to get a new ride, perhaps a CPO might fit the bill at, hopefully, $20-23K.
    I'm not so concerned about the price point as I am the lack of a comfortable rear seat. If I'm considering a car with only an "occasional" rear seat I might as well expand my search two some track-worthy two seaters.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

I've driven bothe iterations of the E90 (328 & 335) Xi with slushboxes. I'm not going to bore everyone again by gushing over the bottomless power (especially compared to my '01 Prelude's 156 lb -ft of torque @ 5250 RPM) of the 335xi. I have a good time whenever I get to drive my Mom's 328xiA. I'd definitely take a 128i with a stick. It'd be a tossup between a 128i & a MINI Cooper S.

BTW, my Prelude hit 100,000 miles last week! :P

Powered By Honda2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD

• circlewcirclew Posts: 8,380
    My kids fit in back during my 128i test drive recently.

When I compared that to the 135i I tested 1 month later, I was astounded. That car makes my 330xi feel like a lead sled!

Regards,
    OW
  • michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    It'd be a tossup between a 128i & a MINI Cooper S.

Funny, I sometimes have the same thought, though I'm partial to the Mini Clubman. Which, of course, the wife absolutely hates.

Rear seat space isn't that important to me, as I'm usually alone or with the wife. We have her car if there are more than 2 of us.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,438
    I'm getting confused.

So then why not the 135i?
    Or do you figure a used M coupe is still better?
    A Cayman doesn't have a back seat at all.
    And I'm assuming you mean an M3 coupe. If the Z4M, that doesn't have a back seat, either.

personally, I think a 335 is a better buy than a used M3.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

Or do you figure a used M coupe is still better?

Yep.

Cayman doesn't have a back seat at all.
    And I'm assuming you mean an M3 coupe. If the Z4M, that doesn't have a back seat, either.

My point is that I might as well have a car with no back seat as opposed to one with a cramped back seat.

personally, I think a 335 is a better buy than a used M3

To each his own. In my opinion the E46 M3 provides a much more visceral driving experience. And the jury is still out regarding the longevity of the N54- especially when subjected to frequent HPDE use.

• bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I'll take an "occassional" backseat over no backseat, as long as styling doesn't suffer.
    My daily driver (and occasional family hauler) is my beloved 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH. To say the back seat of my car is small is an understatement. I've got a BRITAX MARATHON forward facing car seat belted in on the passenger side rear. I've even managed to transport a few people in the back seat for short distances. I feel like if you have younger kids the back seat room is not too much of an issue.

The MINI or the 1 series should have back seat room that exceeds my Prelude's.

I don't like the rear doors on the MINI CLUBMAN with the big split down the middle.