Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 1-Series

Comments

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,701
    Oners are pretty scarce in the Phoenix area too, I see perhaps one or two a month in busy suburban Phoenix. I didn't see any on a recent Road Trip to PalmDesert/Palm Spring CA.

I think I've seen maybe two One-Series Convertibles since they came out.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    1 Series are pretty rare here in Vancouver, B.C. too. Honestly I have seen more 2009 5-series than 1 series. Of the 1s that I've seen, I think coupes and convertibles sightings are about equal. Perhaps the lack of a 4 door will limit 1 Series sales potentials.
  • podpod Posts: 176
    At last, in RI I saw a parked orange/brownish 128i. It looked very well proportioned from front and back. I had expected it to look a bit out of porportion or high but definitely not so. The company pictures make it look funky weird but in person I found it very attractive. I would definitely go with the 128i as stripped as possible. I do not need the power of the 135i and wish to come in somewhere about $30K. I am single and do not need a functional back seat ( I rarely transport friends). Will the trunk hold a set of clubs and a push cart?
    Will the trunk hold a set of clubs and a push cart?

Doubtful, in fact I don't think you could do that w a 3er. IIRC the rear seat folds down which might help.

• I put two sets of clubs in a 128 convertible -- "stand-bags", not the real big tour-sized bags. It would have taken a duffle bag in addition to that. The disadvantage is that the reason you have a decent trunk is the absence of a spare and the presence of the the run flat tires. There are thousands of posts on other boards expressing dissatisfaction with RFTs. Those tires are the sole reason I have not taken a more serious look at the BMW 1-series.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    There is a non run-flat option available for the 1-series. It is available from Tire Rack for about $700. ;)
  • Do you have further info on the non run flat option? I am familiar with tire rack. Doesn't any non run flat option necessitate a spare and that compromises the trunk? Thanks.
    Yup, you can put a compact spare in the trunk, or do what Porsche and Lotus (among others) do - throw in small compressor and a can of fix-a-flat.

I certainly wouldn't call RFT's a deal breaker. Buy some proper tires and sell your unwanted RFT's on ebay
  • Sat in one today. nice seating room. awefully bland interior. better looking than picture. not as nice lookin as 3-series coupe. but better price.
    comments welcome
  • brew99brew99 Posts: 86
    Will the trunk hold a set of clubs and a push cart?

Yes. No problem. Trunk space is quite decent and actually about the same as the 3 coupe.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,306
    a month, whether we need it or not.

Pretty dead board for what's supposed to be the "entry-level" bimmer.
    You're right - throwing out the same old superlatives does get boring after a while. Maybe we need some new ones?

Here, I'll get us started:

Dazzling and scintillating.

Discuss...
  • rv65rv65 Posts: 1,074
    Make sure you get this option. You get full iPod/USB integration. It comes with a special cable to plug in your iPod and of course you get full integration. Americans get the cable included but Canadians don't get the cable. They could probably purchase it in the US for cheaper than what they charge.
    I doubt I see more than one i-Series coupe per month out on the roads. They're almost as rare as the late lamented 3i8ti.

Since they have come out I have seen perhaps two of the convertibles.

Anyone other than owners or dealership employees seeing these much?

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,890
    The 135i got a great write up in ROUNDEL this month. The DINAN 135i looks like a yummy ride too :shades:

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

Yes, a really well written article. Made me want to go buy one.
  • Agree about the seating room. There's enough of it. This includes the back seats, even in my 135i convertible.

Have to disagree about the 3 series, though. One reason I chose the 1 series is because it looks better in the flesh/sheet metal, although it's not as photogenic as the 3. Also, have to disagree about the bland interior. I have coral red leather in mine, with black trim. Nothing bland, here!

However, I have to agree about the better price. What a bargain for a beautiful car that can give you a 60mph rush in about 5 seconds, or so!

Yeeha!
  • :) :surprise: Okay. I just read the last two pages of this forum and agree it needs to be livened up. I live in the SF Bay Area and have only seen only two other 1 series, both convertibles. I have yet to see any coupes outside the showrooms.

After two years of researching and agonizing over too many marques and models I recently bought a Sparkling Graphite, Coral Red/Black interior, 135i convertible. It came from the dealer with every stinking option.

The car is absolutely gorgeous and dazzling, the handling and speed are exhilirating and breathtaking and the sound of the engine is sweet music. Almost 6,000 miles later, this is undoubtedly the perfect car for me ( except for the cup holders). I find myself grinning like the Cheschire Cat every so often, with my foot on the accelerator or while waiting for a light to turn. It's quite remarkable.
  • davidc1davidc1 Posts: 168
    Your car sounds like the one I want. They don't make Sparkling Graphites anymore though. I wanted one with Red leather too.
  • Unfortunately, BMW has dropped the sparkling graphite. It's strange because I see E46's in that color, often, especially convertibles with the ZHP pack.

I've seen two black convertible 128's with the coral red and black boston leather. It looks much better in actuality than in photos. You should definitely go with this color interior. It really gives the car an extra wow factor with the top down!

I still have not seen another 135i convertible. I did see a 130i in Half Moon Bay. Must have been an overseas delivery.

You could look around for left over 08's. I see them on Auto Trader, still. They are discounting them at least $6000 off MSRP, here in the Bay Area. However, there are no financing deals from BMW on 08's, as far as I know. If you shop around on your own, I'm pretty sure the financing department at the dealership will try to beat whatever financing you may have lined up. Good luck and let us know what you end up getting!
  • fdfrtht09fdfrtht09 Posts: 2
    Been driving my Titanium Silver Metallic- Black leather 128i convertible since Thanksgiving. I couldnt love a car any more than I love this car.Yes there is more than enough room in the front and in the rear for a passenger. The styling is terrific and it simply is great to drive (especially with the top down). Yes the cup holders need to be re done but everything else is terrific.. What a car. Its awesome. Ive had no trouble with power and the car is a looker. Ive had so many people ask me ablout it. Funny thing is, like some of the other people who wrote in, there arent to many of these on the road...so many people are missing out...love my 128i.
  • PaulBDPaulBD Posts: 4
    Good for you. Since my wife and I share the same BMW, we have to "compromise" a bit and live with a step 135i instead of a manual. Having been driving a 5 series (530i), 328i and two Z4s since 2003, my love for bimmers only grows with this 1 series beast. Some may think the 1 series too small ( I did myself), but once I test drove one I liked it better than its other bigger siblings.
    The One series, for some reason, just looks "right" in convertible form - much more so than the 3 series retractible hardtop. I had been trying for months to decide which looks better -- the 3 coupe or the 1 coupe. Couldn't decide. Finally came to the conclusion they both look good, just in different ways. You can't view them as sibbling-models. You have to view them as completely different models, with separate styling themes.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,890
    In my opinion, as far as looks go, I think the 3 series coupe Blows away the 1 series coupe. I think the 335i Coupe with Sports Package is one of the best looking cars on the road today (Under $100K). It is muscular & sexy all rolled into one (no pun intended).

The 135i is a very cool car, don't get me wrong. It just isn't as pretty. I don't like how the bottom of the door curves downward (the darker colors mask this somewhat), the headlights almost look too big for such a small car, & the rear end looks like an afterthought.

Now as a convertible, I don't like the way the 3 series hardtop convertible looks when up. The lines distract from the coupe design. I like the way the 1 series convertible look better. It is much simpler.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

Yeah, I don't care much either for the slight pot-belly look of the One, but from certain angles the 3 Coupe can also look fairly bulbous, due to the high belt-line, and low stance. Maybe my wife said it best --- the One is not so much sleek or pretty, but funky-looking, a Mini Cooper S kind of funky. And I do like the tighter exterior dimensions, and the fact that you sit higher in the One, making it easier to bomb around in traffic!
    I agree NYC.

I think the 1 looks OK overall (and actually nice from rear angles), but from the front and sides, I think it looks kind of like a bathtub with ugly headlights.

Yes, I think the 3 coupe is maybe the best looking car in BMW's lineup right now.
    Price-wise, a 135 would be more comparable to a 328. Which would you choose? 135 or 328, let's say both with Sport Package? The 328 would have the sleek bod, but the 135 is a beast.
    I'd choose the WRX ;)

Between the BMW's though, I'd choose the 135i. I think it's the best performance car BMW builds.
    "....I'd choose the 135i."

Somewhat surprising choice, given that you thought it looks like a bathtub with ugly headlights! :P
    It does, but I'll always choose performance over appearance - and 300hp is hard to turn away from.