Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 1-Series

1545556575860»

Comments

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,306
    edited July 2013
    . . .a person using the forum name cdpinhead who was very active on the Lincoln LS forum some years ago. Are you the same person?

Why yes, yes I am.

I finally got around to selling my LS last winter -- drove it over 128K miles, including a trip to Alaska the summer of '07.

Replaced it with an Acura TSX the spring of '08 and am driving it to this day.
  • tncvoltncvol Posts: 3
    Small world - I enjoyed my LS from 2002 to 2004. It was a great car but so poorly marketed by Lincoln it never realized the success it should have had. I now have a 2011 128 convertible that is a lot of fun. Our other car is a TDI Jetta, and I really like both cars even though they are very different.
    It was a great car but so poorly marketed by Lincoln it never realized the success it should have had.

Well put. There are a number of Ford apologists who will go on at length about why it ended up as it did, but it was a major failure, other than the car itself. I prefer a company that gradually works out the bugs, year after year, until there are none (or nearly none) left.

Therefore, I own a Honda which has given me exactly zero issues in 75K miles, plus which it has a really nice manual transmission which I enjoy. The only problem is that the wrong pair of wheels are being driven.

Which brings me to BMW, which (at least up until now, but not for much longer) always drives the rear wheels. My issue with them has to do with their penchant for electronic crap I don't want, plus run-flat tires and a general attitude that says: "bring it to the dealer for everything." When the battery goes dead (a common occurrence here in the desert), it's necessary to flatbed the car to the dealer for a replacement. Get real. I've replaced most of the batteries that have needed it on a weekend by taking the old one to Auto Zone to have them pronounce it dead, then bringing the replacement back to car. No big deal. Then there's that dipstick thing, which wouldn't have been so bad if the electronic sensor worked, which it didn't at the beginning. BMW has essentially sold out to the masses who want to own the badge and have told the enthusiasts who like to work on their own cars and keep them simple to not let the door hit them on the way out.

Hope you enjoy your car. I am mine.
  • is there a problem to install tires on the rear 255 x 35 x 18" in place of the original 245 x 35 x 18"?
    thank you
    Franco
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,750
    I drove a few X1's this past weekend over from the dealer to the rental company and they were pretty sweet little rides...definitely loved the size as it's not too big nor too small...the perfect size for me! Still don't like the shifters in these BMW's...prefer the old style much better!

The Sandman :( :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,613
    Nope. No problem.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• Sorry I cannot help. My 135 is just now approaching the need for tires at 30K. Call Tire Rack. They are very good at telling you what non-standard tires will work.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,676
    I'd confirm with the dealer...you wouldn't want to throw off any of the electronic gizmos...ABS, EBD, ESC...etc...
    it won't. It will actually compensate slightly for the incorrect speedo reading. Not by much, however.

• thank you all for the info. I just receive an answer from Bridgestone informing that there is no problem and only check specs from the 255 (must be same or higher).

My preocupation was on the performance (traction, gear box, transmition). I think the difference is too small between both, that should not be a problem.

thank you again.
    Franco
    Now that I think about it you're probably right...the rubber wears down after a while anyway (sooner for some...) so it must be able to handle the small variances.
    I ran 3 different sizes in my time with my 135. Never an issue (other than having to roll the fenders for the largest, but that's a different problem altogether). I even ran taller tires in the back than the front. As long as both tires on each axle are the same, the sensors don't care. They only look for left and right to be turning at different speeds before things like ABS and TCS will kick in and try to correct.

• thank you all.
    what you mean "the rubber wears down"?
    That your tires are getting smaller and smaller as your tread wears down.

Not really all that much (not like on the Flintstones...), but that's why you rotate your tires to make them wear even (unless you have directional tires).
  • I'm interested in the tire size you used, requiring rolled fenders . . . I've done some performance modifications to my 135i E88 and the 245/18's break loose quite readily with DC transmission in "M1"
    edited November 2013
    Sorry, I probably should have mentioned that was aftermarket wheels, as well, with more aggressive offsets than factory. With +45 offset, I would have been able to run 255s with rolled fenders and full negative camber. I also ran 235/35 all around on the stock wheels for winters, and 235/50 rears with 225/50 fronts on the aforementioned aftermarket wheels.

The size of the tire is only part of the traction equation, of course. If you are talking about the stock runflats, they would break away easy even if they were 300 wide. haha.

• After 85K miles my 1 series has started to give me trouble with backfire so I decided it was time to replace the spark plugs and coils. The dealer replaced one coil for $300 and when I started having the problem again, I decided it was time to change them all. OMG! Talk about a car designed to discourage you from working on it! To take the engine cover off there are four bolts, only two are accessible. To get to the back two bolts I had to remove the air filter housing, two attached wiring runs and trays and the main tray that runs across the car near the windshield. Changing the coils and plugs was EASY... but getting access to the area... WOW!

@ePaterline said: OMG! Talk about a car designed to discourage you from working on it! Changing the coils and plugs was EASY... but getting access to the area... WOW!

Your car may be a little too old, but the newer BMWs have to be taken to the dealer to have the battery replaced -- something to do with synchronizing the battery with the ECU. This is just the most recent of the 5 or 6 things that make me never want to own a BMW made after about 2005. Where I live batteries fail regularly, and replacing one is a 45-minute exercise involving a trip to the local Auto Zone and a quick R & R of the offending unit.

BMW is most of the way to a hermetically sealed engine compartment that is "not user serviceable."