Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 1-Series

Comments

• hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Aside from the fact that I don't consider the 1 Series coupe attractive, it is also a bit small to be my one and only daily driver.

My son-in-law, by the way just added a 2-seat, $200,000 F430 Ferrari coupe to his stable. I have to get up to NY and check it out.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    Aside from the fact that I don't consider the 1 Series coupe attractive, it is also a bit small to be my one and only daily driver.

Same interior space as the e46 coupe. How much space do you need for a daily driver?
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Not much difference, if any, in front seat room. The 3 has more back seat room, no question. 135i better performer? Yes, marginally and only of statistical significance because I doubt many people will say, "I gotta get the 135 'cause the 335 just doesn't perform well enough for me". Costs less? Yes, in absolute terms, but I think there is actually a strong argument that the prices of the 1 actually results in people stepping up to get the 3 instead. So, I dunno, is the 1 actually better value? As for better looking? Well....as they say...taste is subjective, which is good, or else ugly people would never find mates! But I suspect, if hypothetically, the 1 and 3 were priced the same, your taste would change.
    I need a vehicle with a bigger trunk.
    Even at the same price, the 1 series would be my option. I owned an e90. No thanks.
    Personally, I can't reconcile with that, but you obviously have different preferences, albeit likely in the minority, so fair enough.
    The majority in America also likes McDonald's and is obese...sometimes being in the minority isn't so bad.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    LOL...

I'm a 1-Series buyer, regardless of price, also. I doubt it's the minority, when put in perspective. The car has just come out and is hard to get. People aren't waiting for a 3er at all, but are waiting for a 1er. It's limited production it's first year.

The 3er WAS the entry model and became the biggest seller with a sedan, a coupe, convertible, and an M3.

So far, the 1er has only a coupe and 'vert.. Hatchback and sedan could come, as well as tii.

When the Bangled look first came out, people were horrified, as it was so ugly, according to to those naysayers. It caught on and even impacted the entire industry.

The 1er is shaking things up and is untouchable currently.

The 1er will eventually have an expanded model lineup and will be a dominant model. Such talk of minority and majority is fairly irrelevant, and will become even more irrelevant over time as the models evolve, availability changes, and lease incentives shift from the 3er to include the 1er.

Like it or not, the 3er is no longer BMW's exclusive little darling, and that's a tough hit for 3er fans. The newborn always makes the older siblings jealous, especially when the newborn is getting all the attention. And, with very few exceptions, the 135i has received some of the best media and auto reviews in history.

"Year One of The 1"... This is the tip of the iceberg!!

TM
    The 3 Series remains unchallenged! :shades:

It offers most of what you get performance-wise with the 1 but in a roomier, easier on the eyes package. It is still not too late to exchange that 135i for a beautiful, incomparable 335i coupe in red or black.

Car and Driver gave the "lowly" 328i sedan an unprecedented "25" out of 25 possible points in "fun to drive" in a "Best Sports Sedan" comparo where it absolutely crushed the competition earning a total of 227 out of 250 points. (January 2008 issue)

If the 328i sedan blows the competition away, then the 335i coupe has to be a no-brainer.

Why go for a cheaper version of the real deal?

The BMW 3 Series has made the Car and Driver "10 Best" cars list for the past 16 consecutive years, which is unmatched by any other vehicle.

Attempting to talk down the BMW 3 Series is a futile effort at best and makes one look ridiculous.

The BMW 3 Series is one of the most distinguished and well-respected vehicles in automotive history.

Viva el 328i!

Viva el 335i!

Viva el rum cake!

It's not too late! Repent! Get the 335i coupe!!! ;)
  • jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    Viva La rum cake!

Howard, I am sorry of my having to correct you: ¡Viva el rum cake! :cry: ¡Viva! :D

But of course you can say it as you wish, my friend! :blush: No faltaría más.

Regards,
    Jose
    PS: 'el' cake, 'el' rum, 'el' wine, 'el' whisky, 'el' brandy, 'el' bourbon, but 'la' gin. Why? That belongs to life misteries. :surprise:
    Heh! Heh! Correction made! Since my wife (la Jefe) makes the cake, I carried the "la" along as a sign of respect!

Always good to joust with my friend TM! Of course, anybody who owns a BMW of any model is a very fortunate person. I will publicly apologize to TM if the January 2009 issue of Car and Driver comes out with its "10 Best" cars list and the 1 Series makes it and the 3 Series doesn't.

La vida es sueno, Jose! Enjoy it while you can! ( I wish I had a Spanish language type-writer).
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    What sayeth thou???

No co-existence of the 1 and the 3???

Shameful! Apology must come now, not later. ;)

TM
    If the 328i sedan blows the competition away, then the 335i coupe has to be a no-brainer.

For you perhaps. To me, the 3 series coupe is too big and ugly. Not just so-so looking but really on the level of the Solara and 6 series ugly. I owned an e9x car - they're boring to drive at any speed.

To each his own
    Co-existence is fine. I just don't like to see the 3 Series denigrated just because the 1 Series may be slightly more agile, faster and cheaper.The 335i in any guise is still a very satisfying drive. Same boring interior though, in both Series that I've been staring at seemingly for a lifetime, though it has "only" been 15 years. (Almost the same in the 545i, just a bit more wood, that the wife swears is plastic, and in so declaring, is a constant irritant to me).

It will be interesting to see C&D's 10 best cars solution to the BMW problem in their January 2009 issue: Both the 3 and the 1? Just the 1? Just the 3? I have a feeling they will choose both.
    I guess you canceled your C&D subscription. They have yet to encounter a BMW car they haven't loved; pretty much why I extended my subscription out to 5 years!
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,253
    I felt the same way but after 2 test drives, I can loose the 3'er weight with pleasure...I just feel sorry for anyone that tags along in the rer seats. Since 99% on my own, tough it out!

Regards,
    OW
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,106
    Personally the only 3 series coupe that I like (we're talking asthetics here) is the 335i with Sports Package. Configured the way I'd order it (granted I'm somewhat of a minimalist) with Sports Package, Heated Seats, SIRIUS, BMW Assist, Leatherette, 6-Speed Manual, & Crimson Red Paint has an MSRP of $45,070. A 135i Coupe built the same way costs $38,670 ($6,400 less). If you're going to argue the 3 series is better looking and has more interior room than the 1 series, then a 328i Coupe with the same options has an MSRP of $39,370 ($700 more than the 135i). The 300 hp/300 lb-ft of torque twin turbocharged engine along with the slight weight reduction are worth more to me and it's a screaming bargain compared to the 328i Coupe.

On the topic of convertibles. I don't like the look of the 3 series convertibles at all with the top up. The creases in the roof take away from the coupe's smooth roofline. I think the 1er with its fabric top is better looking.

Happy Father's Day Everyone!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

I have driven 3 Series vehicles since 1993 and they have grown progressively heavier, but they still are quite fun to drive. It's usually just my wife and me, so lack of rear seat room doesn't concern me either. I do need a decent sized trunk though for frequent missions to the airport.
    Keep in mind that for the 135i, you will pay full MSRP. There is room, however to bargain on a 335i Coupe, probably a bit more so now, thanks to the popularity of the 135i Coupe stealing away some 335i sales.
    "The majority in America also likes McDonald's..."

Oh God, hope not! Have you noticed people that eat at McDonald's look either poor, or stupid? ;)