Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 1-Series

Comments

• tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    McDonalds has nothing to do with the BMW cars. Nor does the majority of American's behavior... which can be strange at times, especially from international perspectives

The 1er is in demand and has been well-received by the world's auto enthusiasts and critics... with the usual few exceptions, it is a major winner.

The 3-Series is practically legendary... so it gets all the respect it has earned... Even if it has grown more than some would like. And the 1-Series is a terrific sibling that should do very well... heck, people are waiting months to pay full price for one!

So, let's stay on track here and avoid what is absurdly irrelevant.

TM
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    What's irrelevant is the 3 series. The constant harping on it in a forum dedicated to the 1 series can only be termed tiresome. People spamming the 1 forum regarding the 3 are no different than someone clicking into a G35 forum and extolling the M35. Different cars with different markets in mind.
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,262
    Yes, forget the 3 in here. Let's talk about the tii....that's more interesting. When can we expect it to arrive in the U.S.?

Regards,
    OW
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I wasn't the one who made the analogy with Mcdonald, so direct your venom in the proper direction. :mad:
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    "Direct your venom"

Take it from whence it came. You and I both know we are right. They're starting to throw tantrums, which means we struck a raw nerve, the nerve of truth. :)

If this is a BMW 1 Series thread, we have every right to compare it to the BMW 3 Series. It is an important, relevant subject.

Why, I do declare, on other car threads within Edmunds, they are talking about restaurants, soccer, wines, HDTV and where they are vacationing at the moment. I get squeamish just thinking about it! :sick:

Carry on, bodble2! I enjoy reading your stimulating posts! ;)
    LOL....yes, the truth hurts!

Every review that I have read, or watched has praised the performance of the 1 BUT has questioned its styling, AND it's price-point in relation to the 3, so it is baffling that some members here seem to think that any reference to the 3, in particular in regard to price and styling, is "irrelevant". I don't think there is a more direct, natural and relevant comparison to the 1, than the 3.
    "...on other car threads within Edmunds, they are talking about restaurants, soccer, wines, HDTV and where they are vacationing at the moment."

LOL. On some threads, and dare I say even some BMW threads, the discussions and exchanges between some members almost border on online dating!
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    Start a 1 v. 3 thread then. Really it's coming down to people who embrace one philosophy over another, so it's little more than filler on this forum.
    Try driving one compared to the 3. The 135 is a few notches up. Period.

As for the style, you either like it or not. There is a new category that no luxo performance mfg can fill at this time and the 135 has it...that is why the premium price until others catch up.

I wish my test drive was without the 145 lb. babe saleslady for less weight!

Regards,
    OW
    Agree totally! :)
    You are correct. It takes special courage to bring The Truth to the heathens.

There is no disputing the fact that the 135i Coupe is a fantastic drive. All I'm saying is the 335i Coupe is nearly as good and is better looking. The 335i Coupe has been unanimously praised by the auto writers as one of the world's greatest vehicles. Let's not forget that, given the initial euphoria surrounding the 135i Coupe. Some folks here seem ready to throw the 335i Coupe on the scrap heap. They seem to have short memories. For them, go back and read the unanimously ecstatic 335i Coupe reviews and then go read the 135i Coupe reviews and see how many reviewers opine that the 335i Coupe is the better-looking vehicle.

The problem with a model specific thread is people expect only "feel good" posts.
    Our function here is to make the discussion "fair and balanced."
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,780
    "fair and balanced."

Careful there HP that is trademarked material!! :)

I have to agree that the convertible looks best. The coupe is butt ugly!

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

The coupe is just as you describe.

I would only drive the 135i Coupe "after dark" when my friends are asleep, if you catch my drift. ;)

It is to TM's credit that he is trading in the coupe for the convertible. Smart move!

Hey, some folks like the coupe's style. Even Maureen O'Hara found a soft spot for Charles Laughton's Hunchback Of Note Dame.
  • dhanleydhanley Posts: 1,531
    Oh, i see, posting on an internet thread means that you have "special courage."

I think the 3 coupe is _slightly_ better looking than the 135 coupe, but, c'mon, as an adult you know that looks are subjective. There are prettier cars than either out there too, to many people.

If the looks outweigh the performance/price advantage is a matter of opinion. Obviously, people who are interested in the 1 come down on the side of price/performance, or don't agree with you about the looks. We all know what the 3 coupe looks like, so repeating you don't like the 135 every few posts isn't really very productive.
    And the 6 Series 'verte trumps both as a looker! But the others hit the wall as the 135 catches the apron.

Regards,
    OW
    No venom. Reply wasn't directed at you. I'm working off a mobile in Hawaii so I'm doing my best.

I think the whole injection of 3-Series and McDonalds is out of whack for a 1-Series forum.

Sorry if it looked like I was targeting you. Totally not the case. It's cool. ;)

TM
    You might consider when the Bangled look was called butt-ugly, and then became acceptable, and eventually even copied. BMW does it again and again.

Yet, folks are willing to pay full boat and wait for months to get this little gem.

I agree the convertible is the looker, but the Coupe is cool in my eye.

TM
    Sorry I misunderstood you on that point.
    Yes the 6 Series 'verte is right up there with my Bangle masterpiece, the sharp and elegant 545i. We will never see such a masterpiece again, I fear.

After driving an art form like the 545i for 3 years, one can surely empathize with my disappointment in the 1 Coupe.

PS: You say potato, I say patahto;
    No need to become so GD agitahto! :)
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    "the 335i Coupe is nearly as good..."

The G35 is nearly as good as the 335i. The Acura TL-S is nearly as good as the G35. The Cadillac CTS is nearly as good as the TL-S...

Hey, I know. Let's start a new thread called, "cars that are nearly as good but prettier than the 1-series." :P