Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 1-Series

Comments

• tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    One of the instructors brought an Exige to the school. It was a rocket.

Did you get to drive it?

TM
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,015
    Did you get to drive it?

No, I didn't know the owner. :(

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    I've been on the track with an Elise or two before. They come out of nowhere and blow by like you are standing still. Very fast cars.

I've never driven one either and I don't think I should - I know once I try one I'll have to own one.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    They may be fast, but they're ugly ---- looks like a kit car.
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,770
    I am glad someone else noticed that. They do look like a kit car. An ugly kit car. But very light and fast.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,385
    IMO the Elise is good-looking enough, although I wouldn't call it beautiful. If it looks like a kit car, that's because it's so minimalist.
    I am pretty sure that the Exige looks like the kit car more than the Elise, due to the bolted on exterior trim pieces.

The headlights are the weak spot in the design appearance, but otherwise I think it looks exotic, and certainly the performance is stellar. When I had one for a short while, it turned more heads than you can imagine... and got tons of positive reactions.

TM
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    "... it turned more heads than you can imagine... and got tons of positive reactions."

When it comes to cars, people tend to always react positively to anything foreign, sporty, and rare, regardless of whether it is a visual work of art.
  • mr42hhmr42hh Posts: 9
    Edmunds is filled with enthusiasts. So where are all the 1 Series owners?

Here! I got mine last week and I love it. 118d 3-door, jet black, with sports seats, orange cloth/leather interior, premium hi-fi, USB-Audio interface, xenon headlights, 17" V-spoke wheels, heated seats and some more goodies.
    interior pic:
    http://www.spymac.com/details/?2373444
    http://www.spymac.com/details/?2373445

The car in BMW Welt:
    http://www.spymac.com/details/?2373438
    http://www.spymac.com/details/?2373440
    http://www.spymac.com/details/?2373442

About 50% of the people picking up their cars in BMW Welt were Americans.

It gets great fuel economy btw. On B-roads it typically gets 50 mpg with normal driving (just keeping the rpms between 1500 and 2000). Autobahn driving at about 200 kph results in 33 mpg.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,102
    That's a sweet ride you got there my man! No diesels for us here in the US :mad: I really dig the practicallity of the hatchback.

I've actually started to see more 1ers popping up on the roads around NYC. I passed a White 135i Coupe on the way to work, a Red 128i 'Vert, and a Montego Blue 1er on the other side of the road.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• mr42hhmr42hh Posts: 9
    When I test drove a 120d while trying to find out if I'd like a bit more power than the 118, it was a coupe. My girlfriend said it looked like an old peoples' car, she loves the hatchback though.
    The coupe wouldn't be very useful, because I have to travel with lots of tools and parts boxes. Any gas engine would be downright impossible economically.
  • jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    Congrats for your new car.

Last winter my wife and I drove along two weeks a diesel 118d on a 1,500-mile tour from the Pyrenees to the Alps and back. The car behaved fantastically, even being as she was full loaded (back seats folded) with heavy luggage. On snow, she was even more efficient than some SUV riding ahead of us :) —or was it that the other driver was unable to manage the SUV?

And the consume was really frugal ;) .

Enjoy the black little greyhound!

Regards,
    Jose
    Beautiful car indeed! I'm envious of the fuel-economy and practicality.

TM
  • podpod Posts: 176
    I have yet to see a 1 series BMW on the road. I live in RI and travel on interstate 95 often. None in the malls, none on 95, none anywhere.
    Has the series been successful in meeting its projections? I think it is a very appealing package but I am single and have had a few BMWs in the past and liked them (although they were expensive to maintain--now not a consideration for the first years). I tend to keep my cars for at least 8 years.

I would like to hear from some knowledgeable person that sales are going along as planned if that is the case.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    Through June BMW has sold 6000+ 1 series cars. They aimed to sell 10k 1 series car in 2008. Everybody believes they will hit that easily. 6 more months of 2008 and no hint that things are slowing for the 1.
  • dhanleydhanley Posts: 1,531
    I had a chance to drive a 135 convertible a few days ago. What a fantastic little car. Goes like a shot, comfortable, excellent handling. Best way to describe it is like a slightly less edgy and more comfortable e46 m3.

*really* want one now. ;)
  • jrynnjrynn Posts: 162
    1-Series sales in the US were 6101 through June 30 according to the company's news releases.

But it's worth noting that 3-series sales at @60,000 YTD are down 13% from 2007 and BMW's overall passenger CAR sales are down @8%. YTD. (And that doesn't factor in the nearly 20% drop in SAV (X3/X5) sales).

I wouldn't assume that your dealer is feeling like (s)he's holding all the cards in negotiations just because the 1 is new and "hot" Your dealer still has to move metal to pay the rent/utilities.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,102
    right here on edmunds. They give the 128i a great review.

Full Test BMW 128i

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,015
    I drove a 128i ragtop w/slushbox during Drive for the Cure.It didn't feel all that slow, although I would have to have a stick if I were to own one. The deal-breaker for me is the cramped rear seat. I might as well buy an M Coupe or a CPO Cayman.
    OT: The vehicle that really surprised me was the X6 35i- it was very quick and handled much better than such a big and heavy truck has a right to. Pointless but fun.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,894
    I might as well buy an M Coupe or a CPO Cayman.

??
    But then you could get a 128i coupe for only $30k.
    If you find a CPO Cayman for $30k, please let me know. I think I may be able to talk the wife into that one.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country