Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 1-Series

Comments

• fdfrtht09fdfrtht09 Posts: 2
    Been driving my Titanium Silver Metallic- Black leather 128i convertible since Thanksgiving. I couldnt love a car any more than I love this car.Yes there is more than enough room in the front and in the rear for a passenger. The styling is terrific and it simply is great to drive (especially with the top down). Yes the cup holders need to be re done but everything else is terrific.. What a car. Its awesome. Ive had no trouble with power and the car is a looker. Ive had so many people ask me ablout it. Funny thing is, like some of the other people who wrote in, there arent to many of these on the road...so many people are missing out...love my 128i.
  • PaulBDPaulBD Posts: 4
    Good for you. Since my wife and I share the same BMW, we have to "compromise" a bit and live with a step 135i instead of a manual. Having been driving a 5 series (530i), 328i and two Z4s since 2003, my love for bimmers only grows with this 1 series beast. Some may think the 1 series too small ( I did myself), but once I test drove one I liked it better than its other bigger siblings.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    The One series, for some reason, just looks "right" in convertible form - much more so than the 3 series retractible hardtop. I had been trying for months to decide which looks better -- the 3 coupe or the 1 coupe. Couldn't decide. Finally came to the conclusion they both look good, just in different ways. You can't view them as sibbling-models. You have to view them as completely different models, with separate styling themes.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,111
    In my opinion, as far as looks go, I think the 3 series coupe Blows away the 1 series coupe. I think the 335i Coupe with Sports Package is one of the best looking cars on the road today (Under $100K). It is muscular & sexy all rolled into one (no pun intended).

The 135i is a very cool car, don't get me wrong. It just isn't as pretty. I don't like how the bottom of the door curves downward (the darker colors mask this somewhat), the headlights almost look too big for such a small car, & the rear end looks like an afterthought.

Now as a convertible, I don't like the way the 3 series hardtop convertible looks when up. The lines distract from the coupe design. I like the way the 1 series convertible look better. It is much simpler.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

Yeah, I don't care much either for the slight pot-belly look of the One, but from certain angles the 3 Coupe can also look fairly bulbous, due to the high belt-line, and low stance. Maybe my wife said it best --- the One is not so much sleek or pretty, but funky-looking, a Mini Cooper S kind of funky. And I do like the tighter exterior dimensions, and the fact that you sit higher in the One, making it easier to bomb around in traffic!
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    I agree NYC.

I think the 1 looks OK overall (and actually nice from rear angles), but from the front and sides, I think it looks kind of like a bathtub with ugly headlights.

Yes, I think the 3 coupe is maybe the best looking car in BMW's lineup right now.
    Price-wise, a 135 would be more comparable to a 328. Which would you choose? 135 or 328, let's say both with Sport Package? The 328 would have the sleek bod, but the 135 is a beast.
    I'd choose the WRX ;)

Between the BMW's though, I'd choose the 135i. I think it's the best performance car BMW builds.
    "....I'd choose the 135i."

Somewhat surprising choice, given that you thought it looks like a bathtub with ugly headlights! :P
    It does, but I'll always choose performance over appearance - and 300hp is hard to turn away from.
    I hear that hp rating is actually under-rated! And I never thought it looked really all that bad. It's not sleek, but when I see one coming down the road, my first impression certainly wouldn't be that it's an ugly car.
    Consider a CPO 335i vs. a new 135i.

Personally I like the E90 Sedans & think they are very handsome

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,395
    I hear that hp rating is actually under-rated.

BMW typically underrates the HP of their cars. MY 528 is rated @ 194hp, feels like it has around 220.

I'm fine with the appearance of the Oners. They aren't beautiful but have a cheeky, sporty look IMO. The convertible is the best looking, as nice top down as the 3 series cabrio and better with the top up since the 3er cab's top looks odd from some angles.

Oner Coupes look good in Black.
    With a Red Leather Interior...very cool

• I agree with you about looks vs. HP. I originally thought the 335i convertible was the better looker, but ended up buying the 135i cabrio for the performance. Although both share the same engine, the 135i's dimensions make it faster and more agile.

Looks wise, I now prefer the 1's looks over the 3's. Although the 3 coupe is sleeker and more elegant, the 1 just looks sportier and more muscular. The 135i definitely looks better than the 335i in the convertible, top up or down, IMO.
    No comparison with the convertibles. I would never choose an overweight, complex, metal-hinged contraption when I could have a simple cloth top. A manual one like the Miata's is ideal - keep it simple.
    "I would never choose an overweight, complex, metal-hinged contraption when I could have a simple cloth top."

You might, if you lived in a rain-forest like the Pacific Northwest!
    What are you talking about? The weather is beautiful up here ;) (and my Miata top never leaked a drop).
    Oh, are you in the Seattle area? I didn't realize that. :blush: Well, we get even more rain here in Vancouver! I figure if the top is going to be up for most of of the time in 8 months out of the year, I may as well get the security of a retractible hardtop. And I'm not sure I would like the rain-drop-on-tent sound effect all that time!
    Yeah, you've got a point there. I forgot about that sound, although it never bothered me. I've never driven in one, but aren't those thickly padded and lined tops like on a Mercedes or Audi supposed to be very quiet?