Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 1-Series

Comments

• crispmcrispm Posts: 2
    When are the 2013 model year BMWs due to arrive in the US?
    Specifically, I am interested in the 1-series convertible, if it makes a difference.

Also, are there any significant changes from the 2012 to 2013 1-series models?

Thanks
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,210
    Thanks for actually participating in this board. That makes one post in six months -- oh, wait, my post will make 2.

Either the 1 is dead or no one who visits Edmunds cares much about them.

Let's see who joins in with the answer to your question.
  • Claire@EdmundsClaire@Edmunds Chicago areaPosts: 968
    Looks like this fall. Here's the IL article:
    2013 BMW 135is Priced From $44,145

Claire

HOST

• rabadashrabadash Posts: 11
    edited March 2013
    I'm entertaining the thought of purchasing a 135i. Would enjoy reading some driving and ownership impressions from both coupe and convertible owners.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,907
    I'm not sure how much response you'll get here vs a dedicated 1 owners forum.

In any case, I love mine. Bought an '08 about 14 months ago with 42k miles. I'm now at 55k. I autocrossed it once and I've done 4 track days and have my 5th-6th coming up in about a month.

I don't know if you are considering new or used, but on the used side, I have yet to come upon another car that offers comparable performance, comfort, and reliability for comparable money.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,579
    These are really nice vehicles but just wondering if the doors are a bit heavy? Coupes usually have heavier doors so that's why I don't look at them now as I have a bad spine and need light doors. I still like the small BMW's though and would love to own a cpo'd one some day. But isn't the upkeep a bit expensive? And they all use premium right? Bet insurance is higher also. Nice vehicles but pricey all the way around.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

the turbo is definitely premium. I'm not sure on the 128i.

The doors are a bit on the heavy side, but my 6-year-old can reach out from his seat and close it, so probably not as bad as you think. They seem to have these detents where you can set the door as you open it. So, when pulling shut, you only need effort to get past the detent and then it just about closes itself.

Upkeep cost is relative, of course. With sportscar brakes and tires, yes, they cost more than those on a less capable car. Oil change? Yeah, as pricey as any BMW when using 7 qts of the required Castrol Syntec.

It's a nice dream of mine but who knows. the wife just lost a big account so it's great that I've found work until she can replace that large client. She's waiting till after tax season and will take a short break but then, she really needs to get out there and find something else. I didn't count on the middle kid going back to school just when I retired and we are helping her with the excess her loans don't cover and her rent so the wife has to work. She never ever would work full time, a sore subject, but I was required to plus all the overtime I got over the years which I was happy to do but now, she needs to pull half the cart as with my bad spine, not surre how much longer I'm gonna be able to continue. Luckily all is well now but if it goes out on me...we're gonna have a problem!

Right now, the new car has been put on indefinite hold and we'll just fix the a/c once it dies. We talked last night about trying to go to 200k which is very doable I suspect. She doesn't abuse it and I maintain it as best I can so now the plan is to wait till 2015 models come out and then purchase. Plan B has officially been put into place!

The Sandman :( :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,946
    The NA engines use premium, as well...

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• tncvoltncvol Posts: 3
    There was a person using the forum name cdpinhead who was very active on the Lincoln LS forum some years ago. Are you the same person?
    edited July 2013
    . . .a person using the forum name cdpinhead who was very active on the Lincoln LS forum some years ago. Are you the same person?

Why yes, yes I am.

I finally got around to selling my LS last winter -- drove it over 128K miles, including a trip to Alaska the summer of '07.

Replaced it with an Acura TSX the spring of '08 and am driving it to this day.
  • tncvoltncvol Posts: 3
    Small world - I enjoyed my LS from 2002 to 2004. It was a great car but so poorly marketed by Lincoln it never realized the success it should have had. I now have a 2011 128 convertible that is a lot of fun. Our other car is a TDI Jetta, and I really like both cars even though they are very different.
    It was a great car but so poorly marketed by Lincoln it never realized the success it should have had.

Well put. There are a number of Ford apologists who will go on at length about why it ended up as it did, but it was a major failure, other than the car itself. I prefer a company that gradually works out the bugs, year after year, until there are none (or nearly none) left.

Therefore, I own a Honda which has given me exactly zero issues in 75K miles, plus which it has a really nice manual transmission which I enjoy. The only problem is that the wrong pair of wheels are being driven.

Which brings me to BMW, which (at least up until now, but not for much longer) always drives the rear wheels. My issue with them has to do with their penchant for electronic crap I don't want, plus run-flat tires and a general attitude that says: "bring it to the dealer for everything." When the battery goes dead (a common occurrence here in the desert), it's necessary to flatbed the car to the dealer for a replacement. Get real. I've replaced most of the batteries that have needed it on a weekend by taking the old one to Auto Zone to have them pronounce it dead, then bringing the replacement back to car. No big deal. Then there's that dipstick thing, which wouldn't have been so bad if the electronic sensor worked, which it didn't at the beginning. BMW has essentially sold out to the masses who want to own the badge and have told the enthusiasts who like to work on their own cars and keep them simple to not let the door hit them on the way out.

Hope you enjoy your car. I am mine.
  • is there a problem to install tires on the rear 255 x 35 x 18" in place of the original 245 x 35 x 18"?
    thank you
    Franco
    I drove a few X1's this past weekend over from the dealer to the rental company and they were pretty sweet little rides...definitely loved the size as it's not too big nor too small...the perfect size for me! Still don't like the shifters in these BMW's...prefer the old style much better!

The Sandman :( :sick: :shades:

Nope. No problem.

• Sorry I cannot help. My 135 is just now approaching the need for tires at 30K. Call Tire Rack. They are very good at telling you what non-standard tires will work.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,653
    I'd confirm with the dealer...you wouldn't want to throw off any of the electronic gizmos...ABS, EBD, ESC...etc...
    it won't. It will actually compensate slightly for the incorrect speedo reading. Not by much, however.

• thank you all for the info. I just receive an answer from Bridgestone informing that there is no problem and only check specs from the 255 (must be same or higher).

My preocupation was on the performance (traction, gear box, transmition). I think the difference is too small between both, that should not be a problem.

thank you again.
    Franco