Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MINI Cooper Convertible

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
Can MINI keep the demand going with the new convertible version of the strong-selling hardtop?

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• dcrislerdcrisler Posts: 118
    It does not look as if you are getting much response to this question! However I really would like to know more about it... such as dates it will make the dealers, etc... it appears that you do lose some functionality due to the loss of the abilility to open the hatch and fold down the rear seats. I am currently a little frustrated with my local dealer as they have the exact model I would buy... but refuse to sell it unless I offer to pay more than msrp!
  • rayt2rayt2 Posts: 1,208
    Contact Mini USA regarding this dealer charging MORE than MSRP. Mini USA had been instructing dealers NOT to overcharge on these cars. It seems this dealer has gotten greedy and needs to be drawn out on the carpet by corporate, no guarantee it will do any good but if they don't know what this dealer is doing they can't correct it. Hence your need to contact them.
    Just my two cents worth on dealer rip off.

Now as far as a Cooper convertible, NOT for me!

Ray T.
  • chopperzchopperz Posts: 6
    what is the cost of this going to be?
  • dcrislerdcrisler Posts: 118
    However another dealer local to Dallas informed me the convertible will be avail. by spring 2004. they(Moritz Mini in Arlington TX) are not charging over msrp like John Roberts(Dallas TX). Due to the non-avail. of a Cooper S (at msrp) I bought a 03 Avalanche. I plan on ordering a Cooper S convertible as soon as I get a closeup look at one. It will be my day to day transport and I will use the truck for camping, recreation(pulling sailboat) and working out of...
  • rayt2rayt2 Posts: 1,208
    2005 Mini Cooper by revka HOST Aug 02, 2003 (10:09 am)
    Edmunds now has information about the 2005 MINI Cooper Compact Convertible in their Future Vehicles section. Check it out and let us know what you think!

Revka
  • If they created a MINI with easy access to the back seat ?(maybe a suicide door?) I would be ALL over it.

-Philippa (who doesn't like coupes)
  • With the top down ... just step in!
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    It's more of a retro car- almost like the Volkswagen New Beetle Cabriolet and the PT Cruiser convertible. I think we have a comparison test!
    RETRO CONVERTIBLES: WHO'S THE MOST FUN?
  • i read it somewhere that the new mini convertible is to be called "open." hee hee what a silly name! --laura
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Lots and lots of convertible debuts in Detroit: Volante, 6 series, Crossfire, PT, Solstice, new Boxster S, and a Lincoln. So the marketing folks must think there is a market for them.

Oh, add the Elise, which debuts in LA. Is the Mini next?

-juice
    LET'S HOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • stryderstryder Posts: 140
    MINI has rumored the convertible will premier in Geneva. As its expected to be available outside the US first, it doesn't really make sense for them to premier it in the US anyway.
    it will premier in Geneva.
  • rsunicorsunico Posts: 82
    MINIUSA rang me 2 weeks ago to let me know the convertible will premier in North America on April 9, 2004 at the New York International Auto Show. I have a ticket to the introduction which occurs before the show opens up to the public. The perks of starting a newyork area owners group! I will post pictures.
    Cool, Renato, go and enjoy the show. NY is great. I've been the last 3 years, but probably will miss it this year.

-juice
  • debihdebih Posts: 1
    I think I read somewhere that the Minis have a very good safety record. Does anyone know if this is true and where I can find safety and crash test information? I never dreamed I would consider a little car again, but when I saw that Mini convertible on TV at the NY Auto Show, I absolutely fell in love with it!
  • blackhatblackhat Posts: 34
    Back in June of 2000, I was burned so badly by an unscrupulous Chrysler dealer, on a "market price adjusted" PT Cruiser, that I'm still having skin graphs performed nearly 4 years later.... Ok, you get the point.........

I'd have to assume that those of us who want a Mini convertible will be running into the same threat later this year and next year - depending on WHAT dealer we choose.

I know what NOT to do THIS time round... next Summer, when I will be ready to get my Mini convertible. But, it would be great if there were a list of honest dealers who will not be charging over MSRP. Anyone know of such a list???? I live in L.A. county, and there sure are some sharks out here - like the Chrysler dealer I made the mistake of dealing with. A friend of mine here paid "a little extra" for his Mini Cooper a couple years ago. I will never go down that road again(!).

I know of an honest dealership in Connecticut (where I am from) who told me they were not ripping off customers when the Mini Cooper and "S" models arrived. Heck, if I can't get what I want for the price I want HERE, I'll consider visiting back home next year and buy my Mini THERE!
  • JingleJillJingleJill Posts: 120
    I am on the list for a cabrio at Tom Bush Mini in Jacksonville, Florida. I got my 2004MCS at MSRP there and they promised MSRP on the Cabrio also.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    blackhat, perhaps it's just your area? We've had plenty of stories around here about people getting the MINI for around MSRP. Hopefully you won't have to go as far as CT for the convertible. Have you tried dealing with any out-of-state dealerships via the Internet sales departments?

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,468
    has anyone seen it in person? If so, how is the room in the back seat, usable for 2 kids, or more of a glorifed parcel shelf (like a 911 for instance).

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

Thanks for the reply.

I can try to buy out of L.A. county - which I very well may have to do. But the emissions requirements here in CA are not met by many other states' vehicles. I doubt I'll go to CT to buy one. But, I'll do what I have to in order to avoid what happened to me in 2000.

I'll just do some research - make some calls, etc. and get a written quote before I order my Mini convertible.
    Put a deposit with one of those honest dealers now, I think the main issue will be the wait - i.e. how long before they can supply one to you.

If they offer one at MSRP but take 2 years to get it, would you still want it?

-juice
    I won't be in the market for my Mini convertible for a little over a year from now. So... maybe I should look into it NOW...????
    Prolly not a bad idea if you think supply will be short vs. demand.

-juice
  • davesbrewdavesbrew Posts: 45
    Baron MINI/BMW in Kansas City was (and I think still) charging MSRP + about 800 in dealer added options. (cd changer and some other misc. stuff like floormats or something.) Basically all the stuff they were adding was about 800 and liveable equipment. This was even when the cooper first appeared on the market. I'd guess they'll do something similiar with the convertable.
  • rsunicorsunico Posts: 82
    Convertible at the NY show was sweet. Best part is you can retract just the first 18 inches if you don't want the entire top down.

Met the editor of Autoweek and PR/Marketing folks from MINI.

Went to the Auto Show 3 times in 2 weeks.. love those comp tickets courtesy of MINI and Autoweek...
    Which editor? Very cool, BTW.

-juice
    I found a "local" dealership that will be charging MSRP for the convertible!

I have the time (I have to keep my present car for another year until the lease "matures"), so the wait will not be a problem for me, personally. The challenge will be timing my order just right.

Now, the only question left is: "What WILL the MSRP be?".