Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MINI Cooper Convertible

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    PDC, that's funny, the car is so tiny! :-)

It should be standard on every full-size SUV!

-juice
  • I'm afraid if I stop to drive a Cooper S Convertible the 3 series will end up on the lot and I'll be on my way home top down!

One thing that concerns me is the power of the Cooper S. Anyone know of warrantied mods that will give the car decent power? 0-60 in 7 seconds is excrutiatingly slow for my tastes.
  • The only warrantied mod that I am aware of is the John Cooper Works kit. $4500.00 + 10 to 12 hours labor to install at your dealers rates. Will bring the 0 to 60 down to the low 6(s) but IMHO no mods will add enough torque to this tiny motor for times in the 5(s).
    You've got some expensive taste!

Try an SLK350 or Boxster, S2000 maybe. Not a lot of convertibles in the 5s.

-juice
  • Yikes, that's like 6k or so extra. With options I'd be looking at 37k for a mini (I optioned one on miniusa.com and it came out to 31k). Ayecarumba.

SLK350 is nice but over 40k seems crazy for a brand as junky as MB.

S2000 is pretty sweet. I'm betting I could find a used one in the 20s.

Boxster = fake, ugly Porsche.

I'm in no hurry, just enamored with the look of the Mini and its size. Tiny, yet can seat four in a pinch.
  • Did someone tell you that MINIs were cheap? Just Kidding. I'll bet if you go back and try really hard you can get it up to 40K before taxes! Yikes indeed!
    What can we say? Supply and demand. Dealers are still getting full list price in some areas. For the coupe. Never mind the drop top.

-juice
  • Guess if the Werks package is available for the convertible, I'll probably forgo some other element - like the aero kit.

I gotta stop by Brecht Mini and test one.
  • stryderstryder Posts: 140
    Brecht probably isn't your best option for finding an affordable car, at last check they were still charging over MSRP, because they could.

Anyway, the other waranteed option would be Dinan. If you get their new (only a few months old) upgrade package installed by a Dinan dealer, they'll match the MINI warranty, so essentially if its not covered by MINI, its covered by Dinan. Also a bit cheaper then JCW, but lack the prestige and its so new, you're relying more on Dinan's reputation then the experience of the few thousand who have had the JCW kit done.
  • I wouldn't buy from Brecht (I had a bad experience with an ignorant salesperson when shopping for my Bimmer and thus I will never buy from them), but I will test drive a car there. :)
  • I got my hands on a Cooper S convertible. Too heavy and sluggish for my tastes. Bummer. Oh well, enjoy.
  • Try the JCW convertible.
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    Full Test: 2005 Mini Cooper and Cooper S Convertibles

When we got a pair of Mini Cooper convertibles, we were so struck by their cuteness we didn't know whether to hug or drive them first. We opted for the latter.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/?synpartner=edmunds&pageurl=www- .edmunds.com/insideline
  • My mini cooper s convertible just went from on order to sceduled for production. Does anyone know how long it usually takes from this point to actual delivery of the car? Thanks.

David
  • jombojombo Posts: 1
    I have an '05 non S mini convertable on order...from an engineering (Not owner's manual) point of view can I tow my Mini without damage to the transmission..to wit, will the gears be lubricated properly with the engine off, transmission in neutral? Thanks for the answer.
  • minimadminimad Posts: 3
    I am hoping to buy a cooper (maybe S) convertible in Memphis, TN. I built one online and it will take 6-8 wks to come in, so I thought I'd try finding one really close to the one I wanted already in stock somewhere (impatient). SO...I called Roadshow Mini and the dealer voluntarily told me the price I got on the Internet was the price I'd pay, they don't do any "dealing" or whatever. I was wondering how true that actually is! Do they EVER come off of that price or not charge anything extra for installations? I just kindof thought that was a little odd for him to tell me that without me even mentioning the price.
    Any input would be GREATLY appreciated. I have waited since 2002 for these things to come out, and now I can't wait to get one!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • rayt2rayt2 Posts: 1,208
    I have seen numerous Mini's being towed behind or better yet tucked inside of some motorcoaches/motorhomes. I haven't seen use of any oiler connections just a tow bar, so I think you'd be safe in towing your Mini behind a coach with manual tranny in neutral.

Ray T.
  • crunchcrunch Posts: 84
    minimad,
    Honestly, I have never heard of anyone getting a MINI below msrp. Many west coast dealers charge over msrp, even for a car that is ordered. Some dealers will 'throw in' an item or two like floor mats etc. Since the MINI is still in high demand, there is no incentive for discounts. Sorry. :(
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    Welcome to the Forums, minimad! You might want to stop by the MINI Cooper: Prices Paid & Buying Experiences discussion to find out what others have paid.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• popsracerpopsracer Posts: 2
    Well minimad I guess I'm a bit lucky, I hear that some of my brothers and sisters of the Mini variety are waiting 10 months to a year for their Cooper. I couldn't imagine! I'm told that my cabrio S should arrive 2 and a half months from the time I placed my order. Wish I could say, as for waiting for the car, that the last two weeks were the worst, but I've got three left!, It should arrive just in time for San Franciscos late summer. I was also able to talk my dealer down on the price above MSRP. So instead of the $2500 dealer fee, it was only $2300.That should pay for my ipod adapter. They also threw in the factory rubber mats. Almost overwhelmed by their generosity. I'm so anxious , cant wait to get behind the wheel. Did you know that jet black is being discontinued? Better get youre orders in. See ya on the autobahn, give a wave.
    Racer X
  • rdelar01rdelar01 Posts: 3
    I placed an order for my Cool Blue MC on Sunday 7/17. No packages with only the MF steering wheel as an extra. I paid MSRP + Tax & Tag. I was told to expect delivery by 9/30. What are the chances that I can expect it sooner?
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    rdelar01, you might want to check with the folks in the MINI Cooper: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion to see what wait times they're getting.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• rsunicorsunico Posts: 82
    Here is my experience from order to delivery of my 05 MCS convertible:
    3/17 Dealer got 5 allocations, mine went in. "On Order"
    4/12 Status changes to "Scheduled for Production"
    5/2 Status changes to "In Production"
    5/10 My car is born (start actual production)
    5/13 Car is built and is on its way to Southampton (same day arrival at dock)
    5/19 Car is loaded onto ship. Ship leaves England.
    5/27 Car arrives at Port Elisabeth, NJ
    5/28 Car delivered to dealer in Mahwah, NJ
    5/31 I pick up at dealer (day after Thanksgiving)

This is my second MINI. My first I ordered in 2003 and that took 5 months.
  • myminicmyminic Posts: 2
    I guess I'm one of the lucky owners of a MiniConvert.S that paid below MSRP through a private party via.E-Bay. 180 miles unlicensed never driven or registered. One of my better deals in my lifetime.
  • stevegti8stevegti8 Posts: 1
    Anyone have any info on Prestige MINI in New Jersey? How are they as a dealership? I'm wondering if it's worth the hour drive from my house. Thanks guys.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,676
    Question is, do you have a choice? Where else can you go?

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• nissan350znissan350z Posts: 81
    You can go to Morristown or Princeton BMW-Mini
  • mini_mikemini_mike Posts: 1
    I'm sorry Racer X, but I was really floored by you having to pay $2300 in "dealer fees". Head on up to Tacoma, WA and only pay $395 over MSRP for a hard-top and $595 over for a convertible. I just ordered my convertible a few days ago and the price was MSRP + $595 dealer fees + $35 document fee.

Mike
    Seattle, WA
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,676
    I thought the Princeton one is what he's talking about? Are there 2 in Princeton?

There's a Morristown Mini? I had no idea. I thought Princeton was the only dealer in the state ... of course, that was when Mini was first re-introduced, so I guess they could have added dealers since then.

Edit: my mistake, i see that there are now 3 dealers in NJ.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• Is the MCC Prewired for a CD Changer?