Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X3

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,671
    Most BMW sound systems leave a lot to be desired.. Even the optional Harmon-Kardon in the 325i is pretty lame...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• rob34rob34 Posts: 46
    I have noticed that the brake pedal and gas pedal are very close together. She probably hit the gas even though she says she didn't. Did she pull the emergancy brake? What did the dealer say?
  • rob34rob34 Posts: 46
    The premium sound stereo is pretty good. Better then the base stereo in my 2002 X5. But my reception was better in the X5. I just think they should have a standard CD changer in the head unit itself. I mean many American cars and trucks have that standard. Also, I sure wish I knew how much time elapsed in a given song with a CD. Why there isn't more track info I have no idea but there should be.
  • junm3junm3 Posts: 1
    Does anybody know when BMW X3 2006 will come out
  • Thats a disappointment... BMW should really get their act together on the sound system. I'm not saying it needs they to put in a audiophile grade system, but the standard system is a joke.
  • We test drove three X3's all with the base model audio -- this is probably NOT literally true, but for the moment I can only comment it was the worst audio system I have heard in a "new car" in the past 15 years! I cannot remember anything sounding this bad, that is.

The upgraded system is pretty good -- it is a stereo system (not "surround sound") with multiple speakers front and rear -- actually considering it is "stereo" it is more than pretty good, it is very, very good indeed.

Were I the dealer, I would keep at least one X3 in stock with the high zoot stereo and Sirius (which is what we ended up with) because I, for one, always bring a couple of CD's with me to make sure I give the whole car a test drive. When I put in my test CD's, I thought the woofers were disconnected the thing sounded so tinny.

Also, my dealer says all inventory X3's "from now on" will ONLY come with Servotronic ($250 option) steering -- this too, is a deal breaker option (you must have it, that is.)

We ended up with:

X3 3.0 6spd manual Black Gloss w/Terracotta "Montana Leather" Sport seats.

Premium
    Sport
    Cold
    Sat Nav
    Sirius
    Parktronic
    Upgraded Audio
    Xenons
    Servotronic. . .

. . .and a couple of other things that completely transform the X3 into a comfortable and darn near luxurious vehicle.
  • I just ordered a 2006 X3 that supposedly is to be built in September and delivered in October sometime. Time will tell... But I try to be optimistic :)
  • Hard to believe, but true: our ordered X3 took 7 weeks to come in.
  • Does anyone know of a website where can purchase BMW OEM Accessories? My dealership sucks (bunch of classless, dishonest jerks) and I don't want them making even another $1 off me.
  • stone3stone3 Posts: 9
    No. Not at all. She clearly pressed the brake but the car would not stop. The police came and now the car is being examined by the dealer. But I think it is not right for the car to be examined by the dealer. Does anyone know any other place where she should have her car examined other than dealer?
    All ABS systems are computer controlled...

• Never trust a dealer - PERIOD. She should contact BMW of North America customer service, let them handle the dealer.
  • babydocbabydoc Posts: 20
    Does anyone else have a problem with their 2004 BMW X3 windows rattling? I took it to the dealer, and was told that BMW was working on it, and for now, I am stuck with the annoying rattling. If the windows are rolled down half-way, the rattling stops.
    Also- dumb question- but do I really need premium gas for this car? The pinging sound is there no matter what grade of gas I use. Any input would be appreciated.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    As far as the gas goes, I've never heard a BMW knocking as they have knock-sensors to change the timing should knock occur. As far as the grade of gas, I would follow the manufacturers recommendation.

Do you buy gas from one of the national manufacturers: Exxon/Mobil..etc? Are you putting a no-name brand into the gas tank?
  • I have my X3 about a year. When I got it it creaked and rattled. The fix was some type of lubricant on all the weather seals. It worked. However both my front door weather seals started to wear as a result. I had one replaced but the wear problem came back. I don't know if the wear is related to whatever they put on the weather strip. But I am not impressed with the body of this vehicle. For what they charge it is totally unacceptable!
  • I wonder if the rattling is somehow temperature related - metal/rubber expansion at the in the heat. I found the my previous car '01 Saab 9-3 was much noisier on hot days. Do you notice if its better/worse on hot or cold days?
  • babydocbabydoc Posts: 20
    I mostly purchase gas from Phillips, as it is the closest. I will try some of the other name brands and see if there's a difference. If not, sounds like I need to call the BMW service centers.
    The rattling doesn't seem to be heat-related.
    When I took it in for the problem, I was told that BMW was going to have to replace all the window seals- so far, nothing, and it's driving me nuts. I'll have to try and write BMW to see if what recourse I have. It's ridiculous to buy a car of this price and reputation and have to be barraged constantly with the rattling. Of course, when I test drove the car, they'd sealed it up well, so there was no rattling. Now they can't repeat the sealing process for whatever reason. :(
    I do love the looks of the car and the zippiness, but I'd think that I shouldn't have to put up all these noises.
    So if anyone out there is looking for a 2004 X3- check the windows!
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    I wonder if it is possible for a total vacuum loss on the system? Brakes are mechanical (until I guess drive-by-wire-brake becomes standard). With two cylinders and multiple lines I would think the odds of both cylinders failing at the same time are astronomical. Even with a loss of vacuum one can stop the vehicle if the brakes are pressed hard enough or use the emergency brake.

I don't know enough about how brakes are engineered with respect to the boost. We all know after the engine is shut off and the brakes are pumped 5 or 6 times there is no boost left. Maybe someone could comment.

FYI - This link has a drawing of the master cylinder.

http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/brake_bible.html
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    It sure sounds like driver error to me, especially the part about "only" going five miles per hour. Heck, at that speed you can almost stop the car by dragging your foot. How much do you want to bet that the brake system checks out fine?
    99.9% of these cases are driver error...

However, if the engine died, it would sure feel like the brakes had failed, without any power assist..

Without that qualifier... I'd say the percentage increases to 99.99%..

regards,
    kyfdx