Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X3

Comments

• The 06 does not have the 6-speed GM6 Automatic Transmission.

I do not know how the ride compares to the 2009 as I have not been able to find anything that says what BMW fixed if anything from the original 2004 model. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • The 06 does not have the 6-speed GM6 Automatic Transmission.

Not sure what you mean by this, as I never said it did.

Our '06 X3 has the older engine with a 5 speed AT. We like that a lot, but I think we would like the more powerful engine and 6 speed AT introduced in the '07 model even more.

If BMW offers the twin turbo in the new X3, then we would lust after that! My 535Xi has spoiled us.

Bruce
  • OIC. Yes, you lucked out on the 06. Maybe fewer HP but many fewer potential problems.

http://www.allworldauto.com/tsbs/NHTSA__BMW_X3_technical_service_bulletin_286325- .html

NHTSA Item Number: 10028464
    Service Bulletin #: SIB-12-17-07
    Replacement #:
    Vehicle/Equipment Make: BMW
    Vehicle/Eqipment Model: X3
    Model Year: 2008
    Mfg Component Code: 103000 POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
    Date of Bulletin: 2008-06-01
    Date Added: 2009-05-05
    Summary: BMW VEHICLE: ENGINE ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS. POOR THROTTLE RESPONSE; LACK OF POWER WHEN ACCELERATING; ENGINE MAY CRANK TOO LONG BEFORE STARTING; LOSS OF POWER AT IDLE OR WHEN SLOWING TO A STOP. E83 (X3) MODELS. *PE
  • pp2009pp,

What model year is your X3?

I had not been following the transmission issue for awhile as I thought that had been resolved.

My conjecture on preferring the engine - transmission in the current X3 over our '06 model was based on having previously owned an '06 330Xi, which I thought had the same engine and 6 speed AT as the current X3, and before that we owned an '01 330Xi, which I believe had the same engine & 5 speed AT transmission as our '06 X3.

I never had any trouble with the transmission in my '06 330Xi, and I much preferred it's performance over the '01 iteration. I wonder why the transmission worked so well in the sedan but not in the SAV.

Bruce
  • 2009 X3.

The acceleration is jerky. It starts and stops and then finds a gear. It sometimes cannot move forward for awhile. Sometimes it has trouble finding R. Intermittent problems all.

I do not know if you have the same transmission in your 330xi. Do you have an excessively strong engine brake? I have to accelerate into turns now as it will come to a complete stop all by itself. It is worse in SD.

Can you decelerate in D while going downhill without brakes? I am curious to see who has the same problems as I do. I find it to be extremely finicky and temperamental.
  • The acceleration is nice and smooth on my 09 X3 automatic, better than my 05 C class Mercedes and easily equal to the 09 C class I test drove yesterday.

Ignore pp2009pp, he's one of the vocal (and extremely small) minority who got a lemon. The X3 is a mature product with the bugs long since worked out.

I had a new 07 Camry that went through rear brakes in like 5000 miles, REAR brakes. It was an issue with some 07s, and was corrected later on. Do I crap all over the Camry forums complaining that Toyota is selling junk? No, I just understand that not every single car is perfect. Except, of course, for the 09 X3 we bought earlier this year. It is, without a doubt, THE BEST new car we have ever bought.

16,000 perfect, trouble-free, smooth shifting high-performing miles later I am still thrilled with this wonderful vehicle.

Forget pp2009pp, you'll love the 09 X3 engine and tranny.
  • Lawman, who are you to say what I do and do not have. You have:

1. never driven my car
    2. never ridden in my car
    3. never looked at my car

I am not assuming anything about your car, I take your opinions to be honest. My X3 2009 is the most abysmal drive I have ever experienced. It has the herky jerky acceleration that many people have written about, the nauseatingly bouncy ride that professional reviewers have written about and the strange engine brake that many other people have experienced as a sudden pull back.

These are well documented on the X3. Just because you are not experiencing them is meaningless to those of us who do.

I suspect you have read the many threads that talk about these issues with the X3 along with the review that said the X3 was the worst car in the BMW lineup or the review that said the X3 had a concussive ride or the review that said the X3 suspension was made of rocks.

I do not know for sure if I have a lemon. According to the dealership, my car drives just like the other new X3 in the lot. Do you want to dispute that with the dealership? Please do so. Then maybe they will fix my car. OTOH, if my car isn't different from other X3s then I am really shocked with BMW.

:lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • OK, that was a bit harsh. I would have edited it but I ran out of time.
  • woodywwwoodyww Posts: 1,797
    I'm curious: how many times have you taken it back to the dealer? Have you researched what it'd take to get it declared a Lemon? Tried to get a "zone manager" involved, (or whatever the bmw equivilent is, if any)?

Or, taken it to a good indie bmw repair shop to get a diagnosis, or at least confirmation of your problem (s)? That'd be my advice.......

BTW, CR gives the x3 generally good reliability marks, but a giant black mark for the '07's under "trans., minor". (I'd assume "minor" means the trans. isn't totally failing?, not saying I think it's minor).
  • pp2009pppp2009pp Posts: 228
    The problems are intermittent which not only makes them difficult to diagnose but also makes working around them impossible. The dealer felt the ride problem when I drove with them but not when they drove by themselves.

The AT work around involves driving in SD (which actually makes the sudden slow down more severe) or, worse, in MT mode all the time. I don't see either being remotely viable. I'm still trying to figure out how the lemon laws work on intermittent problems.

I'll give CR a big black mark for calling this minor. It isn't minor and it isn't just in the 2007's either.
  • MLB6MLB6 Posts: 12
    Simply put, buying a BMW is like rolling a dice, but only once. You could get a six, or to PP and myself, we got one's. That's too bad, and it's the reality. PP you asked too many questions, all the questions you have on the transmission and drive... you are not the only one, and probably not the last. But the problem here is that the answers are already all here in the internet, you just failed to connect the dots.

To make the Lemon Law work for you, the LL Lawyer would do all the work for you. Don't worry about intermittent, whether they are all the same or not. The LL Lawyer just need to send a notice to BMWNA and trust me, this saga of your's will be over in no time. Without the LL Lawyer, they won't care less. LL is the ONLY weak spot for BMW. You don't need to know anything, simple as that. We are just interested if you have talked to a LL Lawyer or not. If not, why not?
    I take your meaning regarding the LL's but I don't understand what you mean by asking too many questions.
    PP, LIFE IS TOO SHORT to drive a car full of imperfections in the driving, not to mention cars with defects that are permanent.

I don't know why anyone would want to buy a car that has a good possibility of being born with driving issues. And why they would consider buying such a car with so many possibilities of potential future problems down the road? I don't care about the reward of owning a properly functioning BMW when they have such little quality controls over the making of their products, and having problems that cannot be fixed immediately and in the first time. Life is too short to have to have to explain the problems and tolerate the pathetic look on their faces, questioning you "Problems? What Problems?" And life is too short to have to deal with such crappy customer service in a "premium car company".

Life is too short to deal with such companies that do not stand behind their products. And would not even come out and DEFEND what they said their company stands for or how their product is supposed to mean what they said it means.

You asked: "I don't understand what you mean by asking too many questions" That's because hearing all your complaints, you're still questioning this or that, like whether you can go LL, whether some behavior are "normal" or not. My response: if Lemon Law cannot apply in your situation, I don't know what LL is supposed to be for. LL was made to force carmakers to take back their Lemon Vehicles without the need for the company to answer any questions. Life is too short, go LL or take your loss right away. Questioning is a waste of time.
  • Fortunately, the X3 is NOT such a vehicle. Bought my wife's X3 in February 09 (2009 model) and so far it is the BEST new car ever in my family, and there have been many.

I just bought a new Mercedes C300 last month and had to take it back for a few minor issues, which has been the case in every car I've ever owned EXCEPT the X3, which arrived with ZERO DEFECTS and at 18,000 miles remains absolutely trouble-free.

Our X3 has been so good that I seriously considered getting another one instead of the Mercedes.
    My 2009 X3:

- fails to accelerate from a stop.
    - surges for no reason on flat roads.
    - stops short during deceleration.
    - bounces several times for no apparent reason.
    - bucks and sways for no apparent reason.
    - fails to find R.
    - fails to find a gear, goes back and forth causing bucking
    - Etc, etc, etc....

These are all intermittent problems but now the X3 is developing brand new ones that are unrelated to either the transmission or the suspension.

The dealer's answer for the transmission problems - drive in continually in SD mode.

What kind of an answer is that for a brand new, seriously expensive car?

:sick: :sick: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • BaitBait Posts: 12
    I'm serious as a heart attack. I've been through this with them. I played their game by their rules and, well, let's put it this way. Would I be posting this if the outcome was pleasant?

The ONLY answer is a Lemon Law attorney. Before you say it, you're right, who the hell wants to go there....but I'm serious....you either get one now or keep sending that check in month after month as your "days in the shop" continue to pile up until they've got you past the point of no return with respect to the law. The dealer has NOTHING to do with BMWNA. Forget the dealer, period. They're independent and will stand firmly that to distance themselves from this issue, and believe me, they know this is an issue as I've had service managers tell me about this problem as well as people on the sales floor, but, they can't do anything about it because the issue is directly with BMWNA.
    Exactly what keeps BMWNA or the dealer (who depends on BMW exclusively after all) from claiming that there is NO PROBLEM?

The LL kick in after 4 attempts at a fix. If they keep insisting there is NO PROBLEM then they can run out the 12 month clock and wash their hands of this stinking *** car.

Question: "Exactly what keeps BMWNA or the dealer (who depends on BMW exclusively after all) from claiming that there is NO PROBLEM?" Another question again PP?... although not exactly a bad question. What they are REALLY telling you, is that according to BMW head office, the symptoms you have are "common" or "normal" (but doesn't mean they all have them). And if you need to resolve this, you should use LL. But as a dealer, they cannot tell that to you explicitly.

PP, Seems like you are so motivated to find the truth, perhaps you can do something about this and REALLY MAKES A DIFFERENCE by writing to Washington. Urging them to start an investigation on what's really behind this behavior from BMW, BMWNA and the dealers.

Quote: "If they keep insisting there is NO PROBLEM then they can run out the 12 month clock and wash their hands of this stinking *** car." That's why we've been telling anyone here who would listen, rather then keep asking questions... But no, don't fall into BMW's game plan, and go directly to the LL Lawyers. The lawyers will tell you that while the dealer told you "NO PROBLEM", this will not diminish your rights under the Lemon Laws.
    There are 38 complaints on the 2007 X3 - not all transmission - on the NHTSA ODI website. That SHOULD be Washington DC. I have no idea what they do with that information other than store it and mull it over.

It takes people dying for anyone to take notice. Heart-thumping inability to accelerate, short stopping, almost getting into accidents, etc. simply don't make the grade.
    It takes people dying for anyone to take notice. Heart-thumping inability to accelerate, short stopping, almost getting into accidents, etc. simply don't make the grade.

********And there's your answer!
    What?

"What" is death.

What's the cost of blowing it off vs. the cost of paying a negligence suit when someone gets killed? Nothing like someone else rolling the dice with my life. Doesn't it give you that nice fuzzy feeling?! I don't think they're going to like the publicity (with all this being dredged up) once that happens.
  • woodywwwoodyww Posts: 1,797
    Just ranting about a problem (pp2009pp) in 20-30 posts, but never DOING anything about it, or even acknowledging others helpful suggestions, really makes me wonder.

We get it! you got a bmw w/problems, you're Stuck & you're Steamin'. But you're just wasting peoples time here when you don't even consider their suggestions to deal with it, & apparently aren't doing much yourself, besides endless complaining.......Why should anyone here keep trying to be helpful???
    I know what the options are. I'm not expecting people who have no idea what I am talking about to be helpful. I am looking for people who experience what I do and who know what is wrong with the car.

Believe it or not, THAT is helpful to me.
    "Dear SM:

Thank you for your time last night. Could you share with your shop foreman (sorry his name escapes me) the information below and have him verify that what I experience with the transmission of the X3 is explained as he did last night.

Lack of immediate throttle response - this is an electronically controlled transmission (as opposed to a cable) and the brain needs a second or so to think and send an instruction to the transmission for a response

Lack of acceleration or feel of not getting out of the way during corner or turn (binding feeling) - this is the stability control taking over and not allowing the car to accelerate so that the driver does not experience under or over steer

Feeling every gear change as the car up shifts - BMW engineers their cars so that the drivers "feel" the car. They could program this out but its a conscious choice to give a feel to the vehicle

Hard shifting and binding feel when in traffic - BMW has a 1-2 1-2 transmission lock that if it senses consecutive shifts from 1st gear to 2nd, back to 1st and into 2nd it will lock into 2nd gear as a way to "save fuel" during stop and go traffic.

Binding and noticeable down shifting when rolling to a stop - this is a characteristic of the AWD. You feel things because the front transmission mechanisms are still turning. "

---- from another forum and interesting take on all the problems.

So, apparently, these aren't actual problems but are design features that someone actually sat down and decided were a good idea to include in a vehicle. What is binding? Is binding the same as short stopping?

So the X3 can have stability control or acceleration on turns but not both?

So the lower end X3 provides heavy (clunking) gear shifting while the higher end 5's do not on purpose? What?

So the X3, in order to save a little fuel, provides hard shifting or lack of acceleration on purpose? What?

Oh goodness.

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
    Let me get this straight. A hugh number of people who have this AT "issue" have been told by BMW that the vehicle operates "as designed"....that this is "normal" and on and on and on yet BMW continues to shuffle these people into the service department for never ending software updates (and in my case, other hardware that wasn't operating properly). There are some of us with over 30 "in shop" days.

Here's what baffles me. Why would you have to continually "fix" a non-existent problem? Why you would have to continually "fix" that which is operating "as designed"....or operating "normal"? In my opinion, despite the rhetoric, having us come back time and time again is an admission that none of this is "Normal" (that along with the large number of BMW dealership people who've already admitted the problem exists). Of course, we know it's not ("normal"), but my question is this. Isn't this enough, given the size of this issue and the people it's effecting, for a class action suit?
    If you have over 30 days in shop, you might be able to claim :lemon: status depending on the laws in your state.

The rumor is that another update is coming soon but that may be just wishful thinking on the part of those who get all the customer complaints.

The noreverse.org people have it even worse IMO. I don't see any recent updates on a class action suit.

Honestly, if this is 'as designed' it is time to find other designers because none of this stuff shows up in the 3 and 5 sedans that I have driven. It is interesting that you say you have mechanical problems. People were saying that the AT problems are worse in cold weather which seems to point to something more than just sw.

Have you ever tried the MT mode? I haven't found anything on how well that functions in AT as few people who opt for an automatic seem to want to try that out.
    Nope...they told me to pound salt. I worked with them for a long time, i.e. doing it their way....trying to work within the system. I had service managers admitting to the problem. Of course, one of the reasons they admitted all this to me was out of embarrasment over the way I was being treated...and that treatment seems to be the same as others have received. I had this notion, stupid me, they cared. After all, I wasn't driving a KIA. That's why I've told people to not to waste a second getting legal help. They know how long they can string this out until you are D.O.A. It would take both hands to count the number of cars I would probably have purchased from them in the future. I wonder who the marketing genius is at BMW.
  • That makes the X3 in its 7th year of production. In other words, if it ain't broke......

Again, 2009 X3 is BY FAR the best new car my family has ever seen, better even than my 2009 Mercedes C300. ZERO DEFECTS, ZERO ISSUES, TERRIFIC DRIVE!!!!
    I agree with your frustration. The X3 is doing nothing to help BMW's image. The suspension problems and the herky-jerky transmission in a premium car are absurd.

I have been driving BMWs for a long time and I wish I had gone with Lexus this time around.

I have heard all the nonsensical statements from the self-proclaimed BMW fans. The reality is that I have driven the 5s and the 3s and the sedans drive NOTHING like the X3. They have transmissions that shift smoothly and firm/sporty but not bouncy suspensions.

Exactly how hard is it for a big manufacturer to make a slightly taller 3 series that drives like it should? They have received lots of bad reviews and now I can see why.

They were supposed to have fixed the suspension in 2005 and then again in 2007 and my 2009 drives like ****. They went to a new transmission in 2007 and supposedly have another (rumor) fix in 2010.

In the meantime, the frustrated customer ends up having to spend an unbelievable amount of time trying to figure out what is poor design and what is actual defect. What a mess.

What a blooming mess.