Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X3

Comments

• div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    But do you drive/own any other brands, beside the Jeep???

There are a lot of very nice cars on the market these days. As I mentioned earlier, we seriously considered an Xterra Off Road instead of the X3 but we finally decided it was a bit over the top for a daily commuter. In the past decade we've also owned a 1993 Pathfinder SE and a 1984 T-Bird 5 speed Turbo Coupe. Back in 2001 we were ready to pull the trigger on a CPO Audi A4 Quattro, but the local Audi dealer tried to pull a fast one(as usual) so we drove over to the BMW dealer and bought a CPO 528i. I'm also first in line to buy a pristine 1967 Cougar XR-7 when/if the original owner ever decides to flip it. My cars don't have to be BMWs, but they do have to be somewhat interesting.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I'm not sure I follow. The fact is the RAV does not come remotely close to any performance attribute of the Cayenne Turbo.

But pitted against the X3, the gaps are much narrower. In some aspects the RAV actually goes one up on the X.

I think the RAV will not compared well with a fully-loaded, sport-suspensioned X3 3.0 (especially if it gets the 255hp motor, and 6-speed steptronic). But I have seen, and driven a base (or lightly optioned) X3 2.5, and that model is nothing to write home about, anyway you look at it. It's underpowered, with few amenities and lux features, has cheap-looking material inside and out. To me, it disgraces the BMW marque. You can't tell me the RAV with V6 doesn't eclipse it. If I can only afford to buy an X3 in that guise, I'm not going to waste my time with a pretender. I'll rather go with a loaded "lower" brand.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    "You can't tell me the RAV with V6 doesn't eclipse"

Eclipse it how? It's just another option. Rather than Acura's take or not approach, BMW allows one to completely customize the vehicle. While the 2.5 isn't the speediest demon on the block it's meant as an entry level engine, with the same great handling characteristics as the other models. Whether or not the marquee is disgraced? I don't know but they seem to be selling quite well. I remember when the Boxster first came out. It was then said the Boxster disgraced the Porsche marquee. It seems to me the Boxster and X3 have something in common...a different vehicle than each manufacturer has previous made in an attempt to broaden their customer base.

To some the new RAV4 might be a good value. Choosing the RAV4 over the 2.5 due to hp is an individual decision about priorities.
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 11,327
    Beautifully said KD -sums it up perfectly.

This all started with buying a less expensive RAV instead of an X3 so the kid could have a Yuris to go to university.

IMO dad should get a car he will truly be happy with and Junior should get a job and buy his own Yuros or Yugo or whatever.

Hopefully Junior will learn to earn money to buy his own car one day, which might even be a BMW!

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

• My uncle (ex-military fighter pilot) used to have one of those T-Bird turbo, until he ran it into a street light and totalled it.

I haven't owned a BMW yet. My 330i w/sport won't be here until the end of January, and we might even cancel the deal before then. But I have tested a few, and the one thing that tickles my curiosity is that ride has the best compromise between performance/sport and luxury. This aspect, however, is missing from the X3. According to some reviewers (and my cousin), the X3 ride is harsh and brittle especially with the sport package.

I personally haven't set foot in it yet. SUV or SAV are not my thing. :P I prefer seating closer to the ground.
  • davidc1davidc1 Posts: 167
    Perhaps someone should create a X3 vs. RAV4 discussion? As far as the numbers go, I do think the new RAV4 will beat the X3 even with 255hp motor since the Toyota should be a lot lighter (I believe mags clocked RAV4 dong 0-60 in 6.5 secs). But I doubt a typical BMW buyer will cross-shop RAV4. That's just my guess. Non BMW fans might compare the two though.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,953
    Since large portions of the recent thread didn't focus much on the SUV, we decided to do a little year-end housecleaning.

Steve, Host
    There exists an archived thread X3 vs Forester vs ???. The Forester XT turbo has been clocked to 60 in under 5.3 seconds. It's fast. It's reliable. It's rated very highly by CR/IIHS etc. And the XT Turbo premium only has a hint of luxury.

In the comparo forum there were some very passionate arguments made toward the Forester and all of them were on the money. If one discounted the handling, amenities, feel of the car, and one doesn't have the extra 10 grand for the 3L the Forester is a compelling choice. If one has the extra money and discount the Foresters' fiery acceleration the X3 wins, IMO.

I suspect this will be something similiar with the RAV4. The Toyota fans are going to say hp, 0-60, value. The BMW fans are going to say handling, amenties and general performance. Nobody will be wrong. Just don't try to convince a BMW fan that HP = better performance. And don't try to convice a Toyota fan that BMW makes a better car.

BTW - I found the X3 to be as compliant as the old E46 in terms of ride. The sport package admittedly is a bit harsh, but it is an option.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,953
    Out of the archives; we'll add the RAV4 to it for grins and see if others find the comparison apt.

BMW X3 vs Subaru Forester/XT vs Infiniti FX 35

Steve, Host
    The V6 is more than just an engine option. (Well, maybe in US it is). And the base X3 2.5 is not just an X3 with a entry-level engine. A vehicle in that price range with vinyl seats, plastic bumper covers, no Homelink, alarm? Well, it's your money. No engine, no lux, but it has THE FEEL!! Ok. But like I said, it's your $$. To each his own.

Maybe the US market is different. But in Canada they have had low interest lease deals on the 2.5 for as long as I can recall. So they offer inducements 'cause the car is selling like hotcakes? :confuse: And I kinda doubt the situation is any different down south.
    As was said previously you can customize a BMW. You can get it with absolutely nothing or load it up. I wouldn't get a stripper BMW nor a stripper Toyota or a stripper anything. I also wouldn't get a vehicle that was a take it or leave it proposition.

As far as the incentives and sales, you can check the sales figures. BMW for the last few years has been offering attractive lease deals on all of it's cars.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Well, it's your money. No engine, no lux, but it has THE FEEL!! Ok.

Sarcasm again? You make it sound like it’s arbitrary and subjective. It’s more than that. The BMW “feel” means there certain build qualities, materials, specifications and tolerances that are engineered for performance. It does not reside in the imagination.

For instance, go look at any BMW with it’s front wheels fully cocked. They have the caster of a performance car aka sports car. This enables them to corner better. Also compare steering ratios of BMWs to other vehicles in their class. BMW’s have tighter ratios. This makes them more responsive. That’s just a few things.

From the shocks and springs, to the suspension settings, to the steering ratios, to the materials, to the gearing of the drivetrain et al, these are the things that comprise the “feel” of a BMW. Maybe some people don’t know what’s behind what they are “feeling” but they like it nonetheless. You don’t get this in a Toyota product. That’s why many people buy BMWs.
    My uncle (ex-military fighter pilot) used to have one of those T-Bird turbo
    Give my thanks to your uncle for his service; fighter jocks put their lives on the line every day. As for my Turbo Coupe, I liked everyting about it but the brakes-one stop from 80 mph and they were done; it reminded me of the European auto engineer who told me: "Europeans don't mind if the brakes squeal, just as long as they stop the car. Americans don't care if the brakes stop the car, just as long as they don't squeal."

My 330i w/sport won't be here until the end of January
    A very nice choice. The E90 is a great car. Buy it. There will be no regrets-unless of course you drive a Yaris first... :P

According to some reviewers (and my cousin), the X3 ride is harsh and brittle especially with the sport package.
    I haven't driven an X3 with the SP, but I can tell you that my wife and I think the standard suspension is fine. Our X3 is a bit stiffer than the 528i it replaced, but we actually prefer the taut feeling.

I personally haven't set foot in it yet. SUV or SAV are not my thing. :P I prefer seating closer to the ground.
    Well, as I said earlier, my wife also wanted to be able to make it out our half mile gravel driveway/farm road when the winter weather hits. That said, the X3 doesn't sit all that high.
    For some people it's all about the numbers gleaned from a car mag road test. The Neon SRT posts impressive numbers and can terrorize an autocross, but you'll find few serious drivers who would pick it over an A4 or 3er-even considering the price differential.
    Nope, not sarcasm. That's what some of you are saying...the FEEL is everything..and worth every last penny they charge. That's fine...it's time to move on...the discussion is getting repetitive. We're way past the "final last word". As Mark said, drive what you want. If you believe you are getting what you want...great. Go for it. Be happy. Car companies generally aren't stupid. They don't spend billions on advertising if they don't think it can influence how people think! The power of persuasion.
    Some people think Miller and Warsteiner taste the same.
    Others believe Bose sounds better than Thiel.
    And there are those who prefer Toyotas to BMWs.
    That's what makes life interesting.
  • bdr127bdr127 Posts: 950
    And the base X3 2.5 is not just an X3 with a entry-level engine. A vehicle in that price range with vinyl seats, plastic bumper covers, no Homelink, alarm? Well, it's your money. No engine, no lux, but it has THE FEEL!!

FYI: BMW no longer offers the X3 with the 2.5L engine, nor with plastic bumper covers.
    xDrive Analysis

My favorite quote:

...if you hypothetically flang an X5 sideways back onto the road ahead of an eighteen-wheeler bearing down on you at a hypothetical seventy miles an hour on the North Slope Haul Road in the hypothetical AlCan 2000 Winter Rally, and you floored the X5 to hypothetically haul your butt up the road right pronto, the thing would just squat there like a shivering cockroach waiting to be squished.

Ask me how I know... :surprise:
    Look again. For Canadian market they do.