Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X3

Comments

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,049
    It is, I recall, also available in TDI form elsewhere.

At this time, in the US, only the 3.0 gas version is offered.
  • bargamonbargamon Posts: 302
    My son is going to go to Bmw teen school. Me and my brother will either do the X-school or the performance school.

Might depend on the car I get!

Freaking A6 lease speacials start at $499 for a premium package car. Not bad. I can be bought. Even if I lose the stick!

Yes, a 530iX would be great!
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    You might want to look into the various schools conducted by BMW CCA.
    Disclaimer: I'm a CCA Safety and Driving School instructor ;)
    I have participated in four Audi schools in Germany and Austria since 1998.

The Audi schools were 2.5 days, were literally on ice and two people per car with an in-car radio and instructors talking to you as they watched you from outside.

These schools are incredible.

I have nothing against any non mfgr school, don't get me wrong.

The quote I copied and pasted in a prior blog was from BMWUSA -- the schools are, relatively speaking, inexpensive and I am confident will be a blast and a learning experience.

Plus in September, perhaps the cars will be 2007's. With the Audi schools we always got "the next" cars that were coming to the US -- perhaps since the X5 is MADE in the US, this won't be the case, perhaps it will.

In any case: can't wait! :surprise:
  • WHERE IS IT AVAILABLE IN TDI FORM!? That would be amazing! I bet importing it would be a major hassle, though...
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    The BMW Performance Center instructors are quite good, based on my experience with them at the 1998 Spartanburg M Celebration as well as the X5 4.6is NA press intro. That said, a glance at the BMW CCA Driving Events Calendar shows over forty different schools being offered in the US, Canada, and the Nurburgring(!). You'll get individual in-car instuction, lots of seat and classroom time- and you'll possibly get to lap such famous venues as Elkhart Lake, Road Atlanta, Sebring, and Watkins Glen. BMW CCA driving events complement rather than compete with the training offered by BMW NA.
    It can be had in Europe with two diesel choices.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,035
    "Compared to BMW's X3, the RDX is almost identical in length, width and height. The main variation on the spec sheet is that the RDX has about a 6-inch-shorter wheelbase and wider front and rear tracks."

First Drive: 2007 Acura RDX (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 11,328
    "Compared to BMW's X3, the RDX is almost identical in length, width and height.

Blah, blah, blau.
    Looks like a Montero or FX.
    Like some giant flattenned it with his foot.
    They can try to copy, but you can't match European style and engineering (though I am sure it will be dependable).

The MDX is the same. Competent, non offensive style, sensible. No passion, no emotion...bland.

I'll consider it if I ever have big problems with my X3, though there are other vehicles higher on my list.

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

• bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Maybe you should reserve final judgement until you've driven it. The photos don't blow me away either, but I plan to test drive it to see if it is more than just a mini-MDX.
    Maybe you should reserve final judgement until you've driven it

True, but those are my first impressions. Unfortunately I can't test drive every car out there (wish I could) but my comments were just from the looks and the review....could be a great car to drive, but I have never heard anyone rave about the MDX for its handling. In fact, most reviews say if you buy a Pilot you will get basically the same vehicle and save $1,000's.

• davidc1davidc1 Posts: 167
    According to MotorTrend's latest issue, RDX walks all over X3 in the handling department. SH-A system seems to work. If they price it $5k or so less than X3, you can't ignore it.
    From early indications, the RDX will not be your father's MDX! ;)
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,035
    Sounds like everyone in here is pretty happy with their BMWs. Thanks for reading the blurb.

There's also a new luxo MB SUV arriving, albeit bigger than the X3, but newcomers probably don't want me sending y'all down another garden path this soon. :shades:

Steve, Host
    The new interior, engine and transmission should darn near cure almost everthing that ails the X3.

Unfortunately, the 255 HP engine will probably be seen by some as too little and too late considering that all the SUV type things out there these days seem to START at at least 250HP.

Hopefully the 3 series interior treatment (or better) will be given to the X3 -- iDrive included (sorry if you don't like it.)

Too, it would be pretty cool if BMW were to adopt/adapt the 7 speed transmission similar to the one used by Mercedes -- that would probably cure some of the ills caused by the relatively low power engine it will have at 255HP.

Of course, I can dream of a mild turbo treatment, can't I?

:shades:
    According to MotorTrend's latest issue, RDX walks all over X3 in the handling department.

Could be.....I'll believe it when I see it or another reviewer who has actually tested it. It is worth a look if it is priced $10,000 lower than the X3, which is what they seem to be claiming...$30,000.

Was there a comparo of the two?
    "Hopefully the 3 series interior treatment (or better) will be given to the X3 -- iDrive included (sorry if you don't like it.)"

I can live with iDrive. But leave out the keyless ignition, thank you very much. ;)
    Was there a comparo of the two?

I can't find any testing on the new RDX. davidc1 says there is a favorable article for RDX in Motor Trend...great handling. Anything I can find talks about the RDX being available,or available soon, but no real road test or comparison.

Sounds like an interesting engine. 255 HP from a four!
    RDX could be a keeper, but I am not impressed with the looks.

Can someone buy a car if they don't really like the looks?

• juanchyprjuanchypr Posts: 17
    According to MotorTrend's latest issue, RDX walks all over X3 in the handling department. :cry: :sick: ">link title

Handling Department :confuse:

Motor Trend need to read this article :)

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/newsID/2060324.007/country/gcf/bmw/bmw-is-n- o.1-all-wheel-drive-supplier-in-premium-segment