Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X3

Comments

• bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Thanks for the insight. Much appreciated. Still doesn't make the decision any easier..... :cry:
  • If you lease, it is an easy decision.. They never have good lease deals on the wagons, but the X3 usually has a good lease program.

But, you don't usually lease, do you?

Sorry.. :(

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• nyccarguy,

The X3 drives great for a truck, has great brakes for a truck, and handles great for a truck, but at the end of the day it is still a truck.

I'm probably taking your words too literally, but to me a truck is a vehicle with separate body and frame construction, typically with 4WD rather than AWD, and in SUV form an example is a Toyota 4-Runner.

Although the X3 is car based, I don't pretend it's a car but I do think it's in a different league than truck based SUVs when it comes to agility, handling, responsiveness, etc.

Thanks
    Bruce
  • jb_shinjb_shin Posts: 357
    How about a tall wagon?
    We normally don't lease, but we're in a 39-month lease for my wife's current Mini, and kinda like the more carefree experience. Plus, as you said, BMW seems to always have very attractive lease deals on the X3. :shades:
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,109
    It is more of a tall wagon. I'm kinda old school and don't really use the term SUV. You definition of truck (4-Runner, Pathfinder, Exploder, TrailBlazer...) is technically correct. I see vehicles as cars, trucks, and vans. My wife's X3 has a decent amount of ground clearance, AWD, and a tall, wagonlike body (that weighs over 4000 lbs)... In my eyes it is a truck. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my wife's X3! The N52's power inspires me to drive like a hooligan! It feels like it accelerates faster than my Prelude. The brakes feel totally progressive and linear. It is comfortable and is the perfect size for our family of 3.

My Prelude which barely sits 5" off the ground, has a separate trunk, and pulls strong to its 7400 RPM redline even with over 86,000 miles on it is a car.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• jb_shinjb_shin Posts: 357
    My Prelude which barely sits 5" off the ground, has a separate trunk, and pulls strong to its 7400 RPM redline even with over 86,000 miles on it is a car.

If yours is like my old Integra (95 GS-R), you will be looking for a reason to get rid of it. Mine was strong as ever at 180,000, before it was stolen and stripped for parts.
    I'm looking to keep my '01 Prelude Type SH (bought new in April '02) for at least another 5 years. The only reason I would get rid of it would be if someone were to take it from me (or offer me a stupid amount of money).

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• nyccarguy,

Thanks, I understand, and agree on the driving impressions, although from the perspective of owning an '06 X3 (which my wife loves).

FWIW, one weekend we drove the X3 to our favorite country inn in West Virginia. Another couple joined us for the weekend and they drove their 4-Runner.

We decided to take a day trip and they rode in our backseat with me driving. I took off on the back roads in my normal sporty manner for that area, and they asked me to slow down.

At first, I thought they were teasing, but they were dead serious. They were about to have a heart attack as they said if they tried to drive their 4-Runner like that, it would roll off the road and they would be killed!

That definitely dimmed my driving experience for the day, as one of the highlights for going to that area is beautiful twisty roads with little traffic and no speed traps that I have ever seen.

Thanks
    Bruce
    although....it always seems like a hairier experience as a passenger. When I'm riding shotgun in my wife's car, I'm constantly telling her to slow down!
  • bodble2,

Hmmm, in thinking about your post, I believe you have a good point- it is different from the passenger's perspective and I'll confess I wasn't taking that into account at the time.

Thanks
    Bruce
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,019
    ;) My wife's X3 has a decent amount of ground clearance, AWD, and a tall, wagonlike body (that weighs over 4000 lbs)... In my eyes it is a truck.

Exactly. As I see it, it's a truck that does an excellent job of driving like a BMW car. However, now that I've got the Mazdaspeed3 we seldom take the X3 anywhere when I'm driving. If my 5'6" seventh grader is riding in the back we take the Mazda; if there's only going to be two aboard I might take my "ancient" E36/5. In any event, my wife loves the X3 and it can carry quite a bit of cargo. And when I finally get around to fitting the BMW trailer hitch I bought I'll be using the X3 a bit more- to haul motorcycles, bicycles, mowers and such.
    Just like a REAL truck... :P

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

The N52 is a true gem of a motor. It motivates the X3 quite nicely. The X3 is definitely our family hauler. My Prelude has been relegated to commuting duties 6 days a week.

I'd like the next generation X3 to be a bit wider. We're going to see how this thing holds up for the 3 years we lease it for. If it is anything like my Dad's former "04 X5 3.0iA & my Mom's current 530iA, then I'd consider buying the next gen X3. Maybe with a diesel:) :shades:

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,019
    The X3 is definitely our family hauler. My Prelude has been relegated to commuting duties 6 days a week.

We just have one kid, so we can take the whole family in any one of our cars; it just depends on the mission profile.
    Carrying lots of stuff/nasty winter weather? X3
    Commuting, four door convenience and possible stop light/back road Grand Prix competitions? Mazdaspeed3
    Track days/Pure RWD enjoyment? Club Sport
    Go ANYWHERE/transporting the German Shepherd? Wrangler

I'd consider buying the next gen X3. Maybe with a diesel

The BMW NA folks at Oktoberfest were very evasive when asked what US cars would get the turbo diesel motor(the 535d I drove was terrific; lots of low end grunt and mid range power). I've heard that one faction at BMW NA thinks that the X3 and X5 should get the oil burner in order to help BMW's CAFE numbers, while others think that diesels would give the SAVs an undesirable "truck" image :confuse: Me, I think they ought to put the motor in every platform. And if BMW offered a 135d five door hatch with the European M Sport package I'd buy one today.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

Did you try the 215hp motor in the regular 3.0? Is the power adequate, or is there a significant drop-off from the 3.0si?

BTW, I don't want to see the next X3 any wider, at least in terms of exterior dimension. IMO, the current X5 is too big and too wide.
  • cotmccotmc Posts: 1,081
    "I'm looking to keep my '01 Prelude Type SH (bought new in April '02) for at least another 5 years. The only reason I would get rid of it would be if someone were to take it from me (or offer me a stupid amount of money). "

What if you find a great deal on a CPO 3-series coupe, such as an '05/'06 model with the Sports Package? Might that sway you to replace the Prelude? ;)
  • cotmccotmc Posts: 1,081
    "Did you try the 215hp motor in the regular 3.0? Is the power adequate, or is there a significant drop-off from the 3.0si? "

Are you referring to the '04-'06 3.0i? That model actually has 225hp. We recently purchased an '04 X3 3.0i for my wife, and I can say with some confidence its power is more than adequate. Of course, we were looking at used X3's (CPO models), which means we were comparing the 3.0i to the 2.5i, not the new 260hp 3.0si.

The 3.0i runs fairly quite and smooth, with plenty of passing power. BMW rated the X3 3.0i 0-60 mph acceleration at 7.9s with the 5sp automatic, or at 7.6s with the 6sp manual.

No doubt you'll feel some additional acceleration with the 3.0si, and I suspect you'll also see a small improvement with the fuel economy, based on the EPA rating differences. We typically don't lease, and so buying a low-mileage fully-loaded 2004 3.0i CPO model for about $26K seemed more sensible for us, instead of paying over $40K for an '07 3.0si model.
    you're in Canada. Maybe they have a 3.0i & a 3.0si north of the border.

While a CPO BMW can be a great buy. I don't know if I could take the plunge. Plus Our X3 is leased and I only like having ONE car payment. I'm 31 and have only owned brand new cars since I got my license. My options within the next 5 years (the time I plan on holding on to the Prelude) are a 128i (6-Speed Manual/Sport Package/Sunroof), a CPO '05 E46 M3 Coupe, a CPO E90 335i Sedan, or a New WRX STi.

Like I said, for the same money I'd rather have a NEW car.

Yeah, I didn't realize you don't have the 215hp 3.0i in the US.