Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X3

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,111
    We've had our '07 X3 3.0siA since the end of July '07 and my wife really likes it! She's been piling on the miles working and shuttling out 18 month old son around, so we've been using my '01 Prelude Type SH as our weekend/family vehicle (as long as we don't have too much stuff). I actually got to drive the X3 around town today and forgot how much I really enjoy driving it.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,049
    The 3.0si is so peppy!
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,019
    We've had our '07 X3 3.0siA since the end of July '07 and my wife really likes it!

My wife still likes her '04, but I think she'd really prefer a 128i or a Mini Cooper S Clubman. Maybe when our son starts driving the X3...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

This time around I wanted to keep our car payments low (even though I know leasing is more expensive long term). At $471.67 per month (0 cap cost reduction, 36 months, 15K per year) our very lightly optioned (but not lightly equipped) '07 X3 is a great deal for a truck that stickered for a little less than $41K.

I'm a big believer in the fact that cars are very well made and if properly (read: anally) maintained should last between 8 & 10 years.

When our lease is up, we'll be looking to buy our next vehicle. Maybe a Passat Wagon or A4 2.0T Avant. I'd consider another X3 too.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• bmw4lifebmw4life Posts: 4
    "love the Touch Signalling -- dealer sales didn't even know about it, in fact claimed it did not work on the X3 since it doesn't have iDrive."

What do you mean by touch signalling? Can you please explain? I have an 08 X3 also, but would like to have the same feature as you.

I've seen the angel eyes as the daytime running light on the 328 and 335 coupes, also the new X5s. I am wondering why the X3 has the dim yellow light instead. It will be cool to have the daytime running angel eyes.
    :P
    Touch Signalling: a light tap up or down on the signal stalk and the blinker blinks 3 times. I have had it for years on my Audi and all the 5 series Bimmers we have been loaned always have it -- so I asked for it to be turned on, and they did.

The angel eyes, too, are on our car and they and the DRL's are now on the moment the key is turned to the ON position.

We had the auto door lock feature turned on, too.

There are a bunch of dealer only turn on features (controlled by idrive in other BMW's,) they are detailed in the manual.

The voice command is listed as "separate manual" -- there is NO separate manual -- it is just there and you can say "help" and it will list the commands it understands.

Pretty cool, even works with the blackberry my wife is never without.

"Dial number:

etc etc etc"
    ANGEL EYES are the DRLs if you have XENON headlights.

• 928928 Posts: 3
    Is anyone using regular gasoline for your X3? I read the owner's manual , it said premium Gasoline AKi 91 is higly recommended. However, you may also use gasoline with a lower AKI rating, the minimum AKi rating is 87.

I am using premium gas now, but with gas price keep raising, if I could use regular, it will save me about $30 a month. Any advises? Mine is a 3 year leased car.
  • My service adviser said I could get by with the mid-grade gas, so I stopped using premium a year ago. I bought my X3, so I'm not going to chance putting in the cheapest fuel. I want the car to last awhile - and with no car payment, I can afford the higher gas costs. From what I was told, the car has sensors that detect things relating to the fuel, so I'll continue to use either mid or premium just so that the car operates on its best level.
    I am using premium gas now, but with gas price keep raising, if I could use regular, it will save me about $30 a month. Any advises? Mine is a 3 year leased car.

Yes. Use premium fuel. That is what the motor was designed for. If you use a cheaper grade the ECU will roll back the timing to adjust and the usual result is a decrease in fuel economy. You probably don't want to hear this either, but using a Top Tier gasoline is also a good idea.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• bmw4lifebmw4life Posts: 4
    Thanks!
    My in-laws has a VW jetta, and it also has the "touch signalling" feature. I was wondering why my bimmer doesn't have it. It's actually cool to have it.
    The angel eyes doesn't turn on unless you turn the switch to half (parking light) or full (xenon head lights), but the DRL is just the high beem lens which emitts yellow lights. I saw the new X5, 5 series, 3 series coupes, and even the 135i has the angel eye (halo rings) as their DRL. So I am wondering if the X3 can be upgraded as well.
    :confuse:
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Even the Mini's got touch signalling, so I'm surprised the X3 doesn't. But I actually don't like the touch signalling. I find the whole setup cumbersome when you're going from touch to full signal, and when you cancel sometimes you end up signalling the other direction. I group that feature in with rain-sensing wipers -- gimmicky but more often than not, a pain in the a$$. :(
    The X3 has touch signalling, it is an option to turn it on or off.
    It will cost more to use regular than to use the gasoline the thing was designed for -- here in OH, the price is $.20 per gallon higher $3.30 vs $3.50, using regular reduces gas mileage, reduces power, and is not the way to save money.

Ask the dealer and listen for the words, "false economy."

If you used 30 gallons per week, $6.00 upcharge, if you use 5 tanks per month then there is your $30. If your mileage AND power drop the equivalent of $30 per month, you be paying the same and having a less peppy car that is retarding the ignition to prevent preignition -- all at the expense of power and gas mileage.
  • daddymandaddyman Posts: 14
    And I am still very unhappy. This thing is the biggest piece of $%^& I have owned in years. And to make matters worse BMW and the Dealer keep trying to shift the blame from one to the other. As soon as I am close to break even this thing is gone. They are now proposing a software update for Sept of 08 for the transmission lag. This is an 07 X3. Two years and they still don't have it right. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    Death trap?
    LOL!

Friday I took the X3 to the dealer(Swope BMW, Louisville) for its first Inspection II. I also had them flush the brake fluid and repair a bit of minor curb rash on the LF wheel(inflicted by my wife). I got a 528xi loaner(nice ride, but too big and soft for my tastes). Once again I was pleasantly surprised by the final cost: $424- and that includes the $42 I spent to provide my own M1 0W-40. Based on the annual mileage, we shouldn't see the dealer again for a year or so. Of course, I'll still change the oil myself at 1/2 of the interval calculated by the SI, but that only amounts to @$50 in parts. Best of all, the X still looks and drives as new.

from a 400 mile NY to MA road trip where the X3 performed brilliantly. 24.5 mpg according to the car's trip computer I kept it between 65 & 70 mph on cruise control). It swallowed 2 days worth of gear for my wife, myself, & our 20 month old son with ease. It cost $72.50 to fill up the tank with Super Yesterday. We're about to hit the 14,000 miloe mark. Our first service should be coming up soon.

• imgdocimgdoc Posts: 30
    That is a great milage, nyccarguy!!!! My wife is driving it mainly city and the trip computer shows 17.4 miles/gallon. I dont remember checking what the highway milage is, but yours is not bad at all. I hope you are happy despite the expensive Super gasoline. My VW Rabbit gets about the same milage (25-26) with regular gas. Ours is 2006 and the lease is up in 8 months. We still have not decided whether to keep it or turning it in. With the gas prices and all....but it has been a wonderful experience so far. Not a single problem. Still shines like new!!