Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X3

Comments

• racerx009racerx009 Posts: 5
    The dealership has the truck now and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you're correct. I'll keep you posted and thanks for the info.
  • racerx009racerx009 Posts: 5
    The dealer just confirmed that the CVV on my wife's X6 needs to be replaced. Fortunately for us this is the third vehicle we've purchased from them (BMW of Orland Park [IL]) and they have agreed to goodwill the work at no charge. THAT was great news! Thanks for the input.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,030
    Set some money aside; I have a 2004 X3 2.5 with 81,000 miles and non-scheduled maintenance has consisted of a passenger SRS sensor(warranty), one set of tires at 50,000 miles, and one set of brakes at 60,000 miles. Maintenance and repair costs over four years of ownership have averaged @$56 per month- hardly a money pit.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• abc0123abc0123 Posts: 1
    I am planning on getting a CPO BMW X3 - 2007 but I have read many things about this car that I am not sure about it...transmission problems....I am not an expert on cars but I would like some advices. Is it a good car?
  • patc3080patc3080 Posts: 4
    I wouldn't let the transmission issue stop me but I would let the seller know that there are definite quirks such as premature downshifting and premature upshifting'make it a negotiable item.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,127
    We're coming up on the 2 year anniversary of leasing our '07 X3. We just returned from a beach vacation in gorgeous Bethany Beach, Delaware. The X3 had just enough room to swallow the gear for myself, my wife, my older son (who will be 3 in September), & our baby man (who is just over 4 months old). It is a BMW through and through. We've got just over 35,000 miles on the truck. The trip computer said we got about 24 mpg on the highway prorion of our trip which is pretty good considering I was going between 75 & 85 the whole way. It is smooth & powerful.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• My wife's '06 X3 has just developed a leak from an attachment at the bottom of the windshield washer fluid tank. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
    My wife's '06 X3 has just developed a leak from an attachment at the bottom of the windshield washer fluid tank. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Check the small rubber hoses first and ensure that they are properly attached and not split or cracked. If they are good then look at this diagram; is the reservoir leaking where the pumps #4 or #8 are attached? If so it is likely either the pumps themselves or the "strainers"- parts #5 and #8.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Did you buy it or did you keep away?

The transmission problem is not a small issue, it is the heart of the car's movement. It isn't just small hesitation on an incline from a stop or a hard downshifting as you slow down...it is horrible and it doesn't appear to have a fix for all cars.

See the bimmerfest.com thread on this issue...it is very long. Some have no problems. Some have solvable problems. Some have problems that are fixed temporarily and then come back in 300 miles. Others are never fixed.

It is a BIG problem. It is jarring and things fly around the cabin. It makes the car go along and then slow suddenly to a halt as if you hit the brakes hard. It makes accelerating slowly an exercise in wallowing and rocking. It is unreal. Some have experienced sudden lack of acceleration and an inability to merge into traffic or turn out of traffic.

This isn't a normal thing that you can get used to (at least I cannot) but a serious issue that makes me want to leave the car in the garage and walk. It is ridiculous but this brand new $40K+ car is too embarrassing to carry passengers in...it always requires an apology beforehand....how ridiculous is this?

BMW: admit the problem and kindly FIX it.

:mad:
    You do know that you are replying to a post from over six weeks ago, right?

• You do realize you are just going around the threads, finding my posts and being as rude as possible right?

What do you want? Do you work for BMW and want people to think that all of their X3 AT and bouncing problems are figments of their imagination? Do you own an X3 and are offended that many, many, many people do not share your high opinion of them?

Do you have nothing to do with the X3 and simply want to bug me for amusement?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Let's keep the discussion about the X3 and be (far) less concerned about who's posting what and when. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Have an '07 X3 with Sport Package, which means it has the sport steering wheel. The matte black finish on the spokes is peeling off in several spots. What's the easiest way to fix this? After 30k miles, this is the only place the interior is showing any wear, so I want to take care of it.

I'm guessing this is considered wear and tear, so probably not a warranty thing. I've seen this type of thing on other BMW's though, so maybe I'm wrong if it's a known issue?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,127
    It can absolutely be replaced under warranty. We had a similar issue with my wife's '07 X3. The dealer fixed it with no cost to us.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• OMG. Why is it that Google searches just come up with nice reviews? Where are these real stinkers before plunking down tons of money for this :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: ?

These reviews sites are useless. They have so little traffic! Where are the people who know the truth?

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Search-Results/First-Official-Pictures/BMW-X1-- 2009-first-official-pictures/

"Shouldn’t I just buy an X3?

Good point. The X3 boasts very similar proportions (it’s 116mm longer, 57mm wider and 130mm taller), but the new X1 usurps its territory, pushing the next X3 up a segment.

And, no, don’t be tempted by a dealer desperate to clear old stock – the X3 is the worst BMW currently on sale. Being based on the latest 3-series both inside and underneath (and outside to a certain extent), the X1 promises to be a far finer machine."

--- So to add insult to BMW's injury to its longterm customers, the new ones will be so far and above better than these old $45,000 clunkers - which they don't bother to fix but sell anyway without losing a wink of sleep - that the value of the old X3s will fall to ZERO.

BMW's is the worst car company in the world as far as I am concerned.

BMW X3 Bimmer Bummed.
    These reviews sites are useless. They have so little traffic! Where are the people who know the truth?

Did it ever occur to you that most people may actually like their X3s- and that you represent an extremely tiny percentage of people who are unhappy?

• How can you tell? Do you know the stats?

We have me and we have you/your wife.

That's 50% like (or do you love it) and that's 50% who do not.
    How can you tell? Do you know the stats?

Let's see... you think the positive reports on Google are misleading and you question the statistical significance of the Edmunds reviews. IIRC even Consumer Reports likes the X3. That said, if tilting at windmills is your thing, go for it...

• Positive reports on Google? You mean using Google as a search engine to find positive reports. Is that what you are talking about? Is there a Google Auto site now?

One must search for specific problems in order to find the reality behind the glossy facade. That has been my experience. If you do not know about the problems before you buy the car then you are SOL. It is hit or miss. It would be nice to have a source that simply listed all the complaints about a single car so that people would have a fighting chance of seeing the list and researching the problems that concern them BEFORE purchase.

"Consumer Reports rated the 1971 Pinto below the Vega but above the Gremlin." - wiki.

I think CR buys their own cars and tests them which limits them to a small number, one perhaps? I don't know. I also do not know how they deal with commentary after they have issued their report. It may be another case of self-reporting but I do not know. Do you?

Two reviews on Edmunds versus thousands of postings about the X3's transmission, ride, etc. mean what to you.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,041
    People who are happy with their car don't spend a lot of time posting about it. It's a bit unfortunate I suppose, but it's human nature to complain about something and when the car is running normally, people don't think there's anything to report.

We have a Comments: Consumer Reports/JD Power Rankings discussion - instead of rehashing all that, why don't we get back to talking about the X3?