Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X3

Comments

• div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Have you considered an ice>Link Plus? It only costs $200, and it's a fairly easy DIY project: all you have to do is pull the console, plug the ice>Link into the CD changer harness, and decide where to mount the docking cradle. Two hours, tops.
  • 05x305x3 Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I'm new to this fourm. I have a 2005 X3 3.0. Does anyone know if there is a rear bumper protector. I've seen them on the Lexus SUV's. They look like a small brush guard. I live in Chicago and having extra protection from the a**holes who can't paraell park would be priceless. Let me know. Thanks Ryan
    BMW sells a front guard, but lists nothing for the rear. You might want to google "X3 World" and check there.
  • Anyone had this problem? I am going to take the car to the dealer but was wondering if anyone have had problems starting its X3 in the mornings during cold days, it eventually starts after 3 or 4 tries but thought that was weird for a relatively new car.
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 12,388
    I have had no problems starting in very cold weather. I do find the doors can get iced up and hard to open, and the power windows do not work when the temperature is slightly below zero. But, I still love my X3!

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

• Just thought I would let everyone know...I took my first "longish" trip this past week in my X3: Raleigh to Charlotte, NC. Averaged 65-70 the whole way and on the way down, I got 23.5 MPG but got 26 MPG on the way back. I am guessing I must have had a bit of a headwind on the trip down ;)

I usually average right at 20 MPG.
  • Consider boosting your tire pressure at least 2 pounds per tire, unless you are already on the cusp, you will find even more MPG's await.

I think we added 3 pounds to our 18" sport tires.
  • aylinaylin Posts: 1
    I know that a soft ride is not one of X3's strong points. Still, can anyone comment about the car's ride with a baby/child at the back seat? Has there been an improvement in the suspension for 2006 models given all that is written in reviews about its tough ride?
  • The ride is firm, tough does not, IMO, accurately describe it.

It is a BMW and NO BMW rides cushy, soft, etc. Some BMW's ride firm, firmer, firmest. The X3 with Sport rides firmest.

I don't know if the baby and car seat materially effect the car's ride in any way. I work with a man who has an X5 and a Ford huge pickup -- he has baby seats in both.

To me the truck, rides, er, like a truck. The X3 even with sport rides like a car.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    ".. don't know if the baby and car seat materially effect the car's ride in any way."

I think he meant to ask if the ride is too jarring for a baby. The baby, and car seat should have ZERO effect on the ride, unless the baby is a baby sumo wrestler! :P
  • You are probably right, I took his meaning from his words, but I do believe you are correct in his intentions.

Comments, however, still stand -- the X3 rides like a BMW 3 series -- only somewhat stiffer, and with the sport setup stiffer still.

I don't think it would be harmful or unpleasant for a baby -- but only the baby will be able to determine this. I don't have any around to test this out, so my comments are more general and should be taken thusly.
    That unfamiliar sensation you feel driving a BMW is called the road."
  • Hello. I have never posted before so please forgive me if I am violating posting protocol. And if I am posting in the wrong place, please let me know.

The BMW 3x suvs look wonderful to me but I have read bad reviews regarding reliability issues of the 3x so I am hesitant to buy one. I am afraid of buying an expensive lemon. I am a housewife in Houston. I rarely do freeway driving, most of my driving is from stop light to stop light, so performance is not an issue but reliability is. I am seeking an attractive, reliable midsized suv. I am trying to avoid Lexus b/c everyone in my neighborhood drives an RX or GX.

Again, please excuse my lack of BMW savy. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions that you have to offer. Thank you in advance.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,785
    Well.. you are definitely in the right place..

I'll let others chime in with their opinions.. but, I will mention...

All BMWs come with a 4yr/50K mile warranty, plus all maintenance is included for the same 4yr/50K period.. The only thing you will have to pay for is tires...

Welcome!
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

The BMW 3x suvs look wonderful to me but I have read bad reviews regarding reliability issues of the 3x so I am hesitant to buy one.
    Where did you read that the X3 was unreliable? Even the nerds at Consumer Reports rate the X3's reliability as average.
  • Hi Div2. I read this on edmunds.com, under the consumer review section. I love the way the BMW 3x looks, I was just wondering about the reliability. Thanks for your time.
  • Added one pint of oil in 13,000 miles.

Had the wiper blades replaced (no charge) at 10,000 miles.

Increased the inflation in the tires to make the handling just a smidge sharper.

Have had NO problems, no reliability issues.

We have a 2005 X3 3.0 6spd with Premium, Sport, Cold Weather packages -- we added about $11,000 worth of options in total to an MSRP just under $47K.

36 mo lease no upfront money other than sec dep and first mo payment of $581 (miles per year @ 15K).

More like a near lux car than an SUV.

We tested with both auto and stick -- big difference, but if you are not concerned with somewhat lower peppiness, the 5spd auto will probably not be a negative.

If you like to use a telephone in the car while driving, consider the optional in arm rest adapter for the Sony Ericsson phone which then makes the phone work through the sound system.

Also, upgrade the sound system, the stock system even is only fair on AM radio -- the upgraded system, however, is quite good.

The deals seem plentiful and you already heard about the 50k maint and warranty.
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 12,388
    I tried several cars and SUV's before going with the X3. There is nothing that drives better, has more safety features, or is designed better (seating position, sight lines, size of the windows). With a 2.5 automatic (hope it is still available)it would be fine for city driving.
    You can't go wrong with a 3 litre, but it isn't necessary for mostly short city trips.
    If you think it has too many problems you can still trade it in on a new car after over 4 years of warranty covered driving (and it will hold more of it's value than most cars). My guess is a Lexus or Accura will have fewer mechanical problems, but you will not have the same level of enjoyment in driving them.
    Just go for a test drive. I thought a car is basically a car....and I didn't like the idea of being a yuppie with a Bimmer....but once I drove it I didn't want to give it back, and I can't imagine anything better!

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

• Thank you, Mark, for the help. I appreciate your taking the time to type out so much helpful info for me. I feel better after hearing from a satisfied owner. I'm leaning in the X3 direction.
  • Driver100, Thanks a million for responding to my post. You have helped me and I appreciate it!
    I've driven BMWs continuously since 1983. My wife recently picked up a 2004 X3 2.5. Her two previous Bimmers were a 1997 Five and a 1998 Three. She liked the Five and loved the Three, but she REALLY loves the X3. The X3 engine is just about bulletproof and the rest of the mechanicals have proven to be pretty robust as well. While I prefer the BMW's M cars, I still find the X3 to be an enjoyable drive; the truck has humiliated more than a few "sports" cars in the twisties. I anticipate running our X3 out to at least 150,000 miles with no major problems(our 1997 Five is now in the hands of its third owner and is running strong with over 135,000 miles on the clock).
  • Div2, your post was quite a help for me. Thank you. I am so very embarrassed to admit that I have driven a Camry for the past seven years. I have held on to the Camry for so long b/c it has ran perfectly and has never given me an excuse to get rid of it. But I just can't stand driving my Camry anymore and your post and the previous two other posts have helped me to feel more confident about the X3. I like the way the X3 looks so I am going to test drive one this weekend. Thank you.
    I am so very embarrassed to admit that I have driven a Camry for the past seven years. I have held on to the Camry for so long b/c it has ran perfectly and has never given me an excuse to get rid of it.

There's nothing to be embarrased about, the Camry does exactly what it is designed to do-provide reliable, comfortable, and economical transportation. However, as you've discovered, driving pleasure isn't a part of the Camry's playbook. Try to spend at least an hour behind the wheel of an X3 and then let us know your impressions.
  • bargamon1bargamon1 Posts: 110
    Best thing is to drive them all!

Owning a German premium car/Suv does require more patience.

Many first timers feel that paying alot of money entitles them to better reliability. That is not always true, or false, but beware to get performance and driver feel, sometimes things go wrong.

Japenese cars are very reliable, but can be boring. For many, the utlity is the most important. My wife could care less about a "teutonic revelation" and being one with the road. For me, its all about that!

Look at all the Escalade drivers. Things like status and being afraid are higher priorities.

Kudos for interest in the X3!! Its a drivers auto and not high on the bling factor.

I might suggest you drive an Infiniti FX35 which is good value in terms of amenities and it drives pretty nice.

Its different than the X3, but its the only small premium Sport Utility vehicle I can think in this segment besides the awful boring lexus.

This segment will expand with a new mercedes offering and the Q5 by Audi still not due for 2 years. The X3 has about 2 years left before a new model replaces it. Thats fine as they are refined now and because its not a hot seller, you can get a good price!

Good luck, and happy miles
  • Our 8+ month old 2005 BMW X3 is one of my wife's favorite cars EVER (and she and I combined since 1977 have had 28 Audis and 2 BMW's -- take a deep breath that did include several company cars that were Audis.)

She got the 3.0 with the 6spd manual and

Premium
    Sport
    Cold Weather
    Sound system upgrade
    Bi Xenons
    Servotronic
    Sat Nav
    Sirius
    Chrome tail pipe extensions
    In car built in/removable Sony Ericsson T637 Bluetooth and mounted phone.
    BMW specific (dealer sold) Kleen Wheels

And probably a couple other things I forget right now.

MSRP including shipping and the three accessories mentioned above ~$47K; we put $250.00 down (for the Servotronic), sec dep and got a 36 month 15K per year lease including tax (state of Ohio) for $581/mo.

We custom ordered the car, it took 7 weeks to come in -- black gloss (at the time the bumpers ONLY came in black, now they are body colored) with the Terracotta Leather Sport seats and the light birch wood.

We have had the wiper blades changed once, it has over 13,000 miles on it and we have had to add one pint of oil during this period of time. Picked up the car in May 2005, car was built in April 2005. Only other visits to dealer are for weekly free car washes Starbucks and choc chip cookies avail to all customers all day Saturday.

I assume there are changes in the 2006's beyond the dressed up bumpers.

We thought the vehicle with the 5spd auto was adequately powered as the transmission seemed to hunt a lot (Cincinnati is the city of "7 Hills.") With the 6spd manual it was a blast and the mileage is good (~24 highway around town; in the city ~20; on long trips over 25mpg even with the A/C on.)

Regrets: we didn't get the home link transmitter option (didn't know it didn't come with it); we didn't get the privacy glass option (the only one we've seen without it is ours); AND MAYBE the power folding mirrors, but frankly this has never been a problem so for $350 or whatever, we might re think that one.

Encourage others to: ORDER the car with SERVOTRONIC it is "only" $250 and it transforms the steering and feeling you get via the wheel. It was here in Cincinnati a sold order option only. Beats me why. The stock sound system is lame. The upgraded system with Sat Radio and the single CD in dash is very nice.

It is a BMW -- it is NOT based on a truck. It is NOT really an off road vehicle. It rides higher than a BMW sedan and has a firm suspension. It handles, therefore, like a somewhat taller sport sedan from Germany -- the ride is firm, at slower speeds on a "washboard" surface the sensation can be one of being jostled. This happens, to us here in Pot Hole Central, less than 5% of the time.

This is a relatively quiet vehicle, but there is a bit less isolation than in a similar Lexus -- some people love this (my wife) some don't want to hear or feel the road -- hell, some don't even want to see the road. The X3 needs a slight upgrade to the material covering the dash. This has not been and I suspect it will not be a durability issue, it is an appearance issue. It seems to look better in black which hides the coarse pebble grain of the dash.

With a high contrast interior, like Terracotta, it is not really too much of an issue, but for $47K you'd think they would take a page out of the book of the 3 series or from an Audi A4 for Pete's sake.

Confidence inspiring is what my 50 year old lawyer wife says after 3 Audi TT 225HP coupes and a dozen Audis of various ilks since her first Fox in 1979.

She likes being slightly higher off the road and the feeling of the X drive when we have one of those nasty but brief Cincinnati Snowstorms (luckily only 1 this year.)

Hope this helps if you are a shopper at this moment in time. The deals, too, seem to be quite good as the residual (subvented or not, who cares?) on these cars seems impressive.

Drive it like you live.

:shades:
  • bargamon1bargamon1 Posts: 110
    A GermanCarfans has a picture of what is a spy shot of a refreshed X3.

They point out that perhaps the interior will get touched up a bit and show the smoother front end, changed light lens, and describe the rear also gets smoothed out.

They also assume the new motor will make it this time.

I had read previously that there would be two years before the new X3 wouild be released. Makes sense as it would be 5 years old at that time and the competition in this segment will get crowded.

It would appear the X3 is going a bit more upscale to strengthen sales and shore up pricing.

I hope they do this sooner than later and in my timeframe of purchase.
    I have my wife's car in for service today, and they gave me an '05 X3 2.5 for a loaner.... About the only options I can see are the big moonroof, steptronic and heated seats.. No premium package or leather.

I always thought that the 2.5 was too small of an engine for the X3, but this is a pretty nice little rig.. Plenty of acceleration.... Even though it doesn't have the premium package, I can't think of much I would really miss.. I usually like all of the options on a luxury car, but this isn't bad, at all... The improvement over my normal ride (CR-V) is tremendous, obviously..

One question.. The big moonroof has two upholstered interior panels covering the opening.. I didn't have a lot of time this morning.. Can you slide these back manually? Or do they only move when you open the roof? I don't remember seeing these before.. are they an accessory item?

regards,
    kyfdx

• Pull the power switch backward for 1 second and release, the inner roof panel will slide partway open, repeat and it will do it the whole way, repeat and the glass opens part way, repeat and the glass opens to its maximum position (which is no 100%.)
    Thanks... since it was 29F this AM, I didn't want to play with it!!

Seriously.. for what was probably a $35K MSRP vehicle, it is pretty nice.... and better acceleration than I expected... even though I've had the same engine in a 3-series..

• With the 6spd I probably would have been OK, personally.

My wife had come from a 225HP Audi TT coupe and it was "spunky."

The 3.0 X3 did the trick, but not the 2.5.

We drove it too, with the auto which near the BMW store made it seem to "hunt" at lot to compensate for its lower torque.

Moot now, since only the 3.0 is offered.

Shame is they could put the 255HP 3.0 in it in a heartbeat, but that would surely kill the X5, and, well, that isn't about to happen.

The marketing and the manufacturing are lagging -- one or the other.

I would think they could sell as many of the X3's as they could mint with the 255HP engine and the 6spd step or manual. But only if they kept reasonably close to the price.