Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X3

Comments

• I do mine at 7500.. no good reason.. my dealer doesn't even recommend it.. Just makes me happy...

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    I follow the manufacturers maintenance schedule to a "T". Nothing more and nothing less. If the car falls apart in 10 years who cares?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    If the car falls apart in 10 years who cares?

That would depend entirely on where you will be in 10 years. If, by some quirk of fate, you happen to be moving along in the car at the time it might just matter! ;-)

tidester, host
  • Is the only reason they don't recommend it because it uses a synthetic oil that you don't need to change out that often?? I am sure changing it every 7-8K wouldn't hurt it THAT much.
  • I didn't mean to intimate that they recommend against it.. as in, don't do it.. They just say they don't see a need for it..

But, you are correct. .it can't hurt. And they don't say that it does...

• kohinahikohinahi Posts: 103
    Oil changes are perhaps the simplest and least expensive maintenance service that contribute to a great driving experience and extend the life of your engine.

The basic function of oil is still the same - to lubricate and to carry away dirt/debris from the moving parts.

For the purposes of selling cars, manufacturers have on a continual basis tried to use increased service intervals, to depict low cost maintenance, as a selling point. I think these intervals are based on ideal conditions, and do not generally apply to the real world.

Honda advertises 10,000 mile oil changes, but their dealers (as well as independents) recommend 5,000 mile changes. Plus these dealers provide two levels of service - for normal and harsh conditions?!

I think spending $45-$60 once a year will not only ensure that my high performance vehicle stays healthy, but will also be a determining factor in getting a better price when reselling the vehicle. People pay for well maintained vehicles. (I sold my 1990 Honda Accord for Blue Book retail to a private party - Immaculate interiors and great engine.)

FROM THE OWNERS MANUAL:

The BMW maintenance system is designed in such a way that it reliably ensures the road safety and operating reliability of the vehicle – keeping the cost for you as low as possible.

Regular maintenance is not only required for the safety of the vehicle, it also improves the resale value.

Service Interval Display

The BMW Maintenance System takes the driving conditions of the vehicle into account when determining service intervals:

From the point of view of maintenance, 62,000 miles/100,000 km accumulated in short-distance urban driving are not the equivalent of the same distance covered at moderate speeds in long-distance highway travel.

The BMW maintenance system is divided into engine oil service as well as Inspections I and II.

Determining the maintenance intervals according to the actual loads on the vehicle covers every kind of operating situation. However, even those who drive only short distances – significantly less than 6,200 miles/10,000 km annually – should have the engine oil changed at least every 2 years since oil deteriorates over time, regardless of use.
  • My dealer charges $94 for an oil/filter change..

• kohinahikohinahi Posts: 103
    Wow!! The independent here is charging around $48 for oil & filter and about $25 if I supply the oil. Dealership is about $68 ($58 after CCA discount).

I have heard of some people spending 125+ for an oil change in Los Angeles.

Some of you might be interested in this "innovative" oil change kit ($115) from Griot's garage. It extracts the oil from the dipstick tube. No getting under the car!

kyfdx, would it work if the oil was changed but the old filter remained till the scheduled oil change??

Thanks.

Griot's Garage - Kinda' like the Sharper Image for auto products.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/index.jsp

Oil Change Kit

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1007- - - &L3=L3_4500&SKU=10320

Oil/Liquid Extractor

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1007- &L3=L3_4500&SKU=10122
  • Most of the charge is a half hour of labor at $95/hr.. Since I only have to pay for one oil change per year, with the other one being free, it really isn't that big a deal... I do get the free coffee and pastries....

Some poster on here uses the pump to change his oil... erickpl... you around?

But, now that I think of it, he has a 325xi... Might do a search on the 3 series board.. he has written extensively on it.. I'm not much of a DIY.

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    But the chance of the GOFER, McD graduate, doing the change screwing up in some serious way.
    It is recommended the oil gets changed once a year, even if the Service Interval indicator is not illuminated.
  • corralcorral Posts: 58
    Here is an update to my defective passengerside airbag. The pass airbag is not working and bmw is out of parts to fix it. They expect me to drive a car with a non functioning airbag for several months untill the can cough up a part and fix it. I love the car and bought it for saftey for myself and family. I found this odd and contacted a laywer that sepecializes in lemon law and auto defects. He sent them a demand letter to repurchase the vehicle as it qualifies under the lemon law in the state of california. They had 30 days to respond with their position under california leagal rules. It took them 45 days to deny the claim and they will fix it when the part is avaible. Bmw is arrogent and thinks they are above the law of the state of california. They build a nice car but they have problem admitting they make mistakes. They act like this is so rare. Anyone see how many buyback 7 series there are?
  • avery1avery1 Posts: 372
    Let us know what happens.
    I know someone that had a tranny that was effected by Honda/Acura recall. The tranny was making noises and the dealer said it would be about 6 weeks before they got one in. The car had to be driven that way and ultimately it was fixed.

I don't think BMW is blowing smoke, they may have a recall and are temporarily out of parts.
  • corralcorral Posts: 58
    I agree, but I am paying for a safe vehicle. It is not my problem they are out of parts. It is their responsibility to rent me a car untill mine is safe to drive. If they can't do that then they should have to foot the bill for a repurchase of the vehicle. Whatever is the problem, it's not my problem. I coughed up with thw 41,000 to purchase the car. They can make it safe to drive or eat it.
  • I have till the new year to decide if I want to add the sports package to the SAV I am ordering. Any one out there have it? Can you share your thoughts? I drove it once for an hour or so and it seems too hard a ride. The non sport package was much smoother, but someone on this post said the tires might have been over inflated?

Like I said any thoughs? Is there any advantages to having the sport package?
    I can't say I disagree with your positions. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Normally... I am a big proponent of the sport package.. But, in an SUV, you are going to lose some of the utility..

The X3 already handles better than any other SUV, and it already has massive 235/55-17 tires.. It just seems like a little bit of overkill.. Although, the sport seats are definitely a nice addition..

I have the sport package on my 325i, but I wouldn't get it, if ordering an X3.. but, that is just one person's opinion..

regards,

kyfdx

• markjennmarkjenn Posts: 1,142
    The reports on X3 when it first appeared were that the already-firm-by-SUV-standards ride became punishing with the sport package, to the point where the car became quite skitterish and uncomfortable on anything but smooth pavement. And that you didn't gain much in handling, at least, unless you were really pushing.

Things may have changed though - I don't hear as many complaints.

- Mark
  • Discovered the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) first hand today. Got a loaner 2004 318ti (in Germany they still make them w/ the M package no less, it was from the dealer my 325i was having an oil change) and hit two or three patches of ice on the road, one on a 45 degree curve!!! It was surreal.... the DSC (even though the 318 is a RW drive only) was like an expert driver intervening to make sure I did not lose control. I actually felt the power being cut from the wheel, and once in both wheels where they hit the ice. The DSC started flashing madly and then there was no power on the wheels for a split second till i passed the ice. Unlike a normal RW drive car the tires would hit the ice and start slipping, thus sliding to the side, the DSC cut the power, and monitored till i got to the good traction. I was quit bizarre, normally when you hit the hard traction in a normal vehicle the would be a jolt, possibly undermining control, it was seamless. 1-3 seconds later the power was back on solid road without missing a step.

As for the sport suspension this 318ti "M" was a very hard ride, later in the day after the frost melted I could take a 90 degree turn at 40 MPH, but my back started to hurt when i was on the autobahn more 30 min, felt every bump.

Thanks for the input on the sports package, I think I will stick to the Prem, and the rest of the options only.

PS anyone know a dealer online where I can order the AUX input from the glove compartment??? (AKA MP3 player... not the Ipod special) this is not an option in germany but the dealer here will install the USA option. I want to get one and give it to the dealer to install with the rest of the Euro options i have picked out.

Kewilpee