Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X3

Comments

• jeff33jeff33 Posts: 22
    I now have about 10,000 miles on my x3 3.0. My chocolate lab LOVES to ride, but was very active and noisy in my Tahoe. So, I deemed it necessary to buy the cargo net option. I have mixed feelings about its usefulness. The distance between the top of the headrests (in lowest position)on the back seat and the roof of the car is 8 inches. If the headrests are raised, this gap becomes 6 inches. If your dog is not an active rider, the net is probably not necessary. My lab has a tendency to drool, so the net keeps his head (and the saliva) behind the back seats. But if your dog is a calm rider and not a drooler, I wouldn't spend the money. My lab is much calmer in the confined space of the x3 compared to my old tahoe. He fits in well, but if I had a second 100 pound dog, it would be VERY cramped. There is an 8 inch gap on each side of the cargo net as well. The net basically stops on the outside edge of each headrest. My lab sometimes sticks his head around those sides. Hope this helps!
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    recommend the RX series as an alternative to an X3..EVER!

With a most definite (mechanical) torque bias to the front, 95/5, the RX can be hazardous in the very conditions most SUVs should (are exoected to)shine. Prior to 04 a VC was used to allocate torque, but only about 25% to the rear under continuous wheelspin.

The RX330, 04 and later, uses an open center diff'l and Trac, brakes, to apportion torque, prevent wheelspin. To prevent the brakes from over-heating the engine is quickly dethrottled if the wheelspin persists.

And after about 45 seconds of dethrottled wheelspin, Trac brake applications, the AWD system is disabled completely.

I added 1.2" wheel spacers on my 01 RX300 so I could use snow chains on the rear and not endure the hazards of snow chains ONLY on the front as the idiots at Lexus continues to recommed.
  • jrynnjrynn Posts: 162
    That's very helpful. Thanks, Jeff.

Together, our dogs weigh about 85 pounds, and it looks like there's room for both in back.

Our ACD is a pretty good passenger. Once she gets in the back, she generally stays in the back. The BC mix, though, she thinks she should be allowed to drive or at least be allowed to ride shotgun. If there's an eight inch gap on each side of the cargo net, it's a pretty good bet that she'll be up front in no time.

I guess we'll have to look for another solution if we want to keep the X3 on the short-list.
  • So far living with the X3 is more like "living it up." I think that if you are coming out of a C230, you will find the X3 just right in terms of size. Others are dead on when they question the Toureg. I also agree that the RX 330 is out of place in any comparison with the X3.

A question for others. My owner's manual mentions adaptive break lights. Are these standard? Also, has anyone found a good place to store change in the X3? I wish the ash tray could be converted to a coin holder.
  • I only meant to say that the RX330 was another option not that it is comprabable or any better. It's a completely different type of car for a buyer with different needs..

I tend to put change in the center armrest, the top part of it, not the cd holder, which by the way barely holds more than 5 cds with cases.
  • I have a Blue Heeler. She rides in the cargo with no net. At first I raised the headrests and found there was NO way she could fit thru the space to get into the passenger sections. Now I don't even raise them and she has never tried to leap over.

I would recommend the BMW plastic cargo mat. Very handy.
  • jeff33jeff33 Posts: 22
    I also heartily agree that the cargo mat is a necessity. I bought the BMW version from my dealer at a comparable price to other places. I also bought window deflectors from weathertech.com. I really love them. They were very easy for even a klutz like me to insatall, they are model specific, and I could choose some with nearly no tint. I think the tint makes limited visibility in the X3 even worse. I have seen other deflectors but find this brand to be high quality and very attractive.
  • Not sure if this post still fits as part of the buying experience, but I think those considering the car would want to know about this. First, let me say that I love this vehicle. It handles perfectly and is the most comfortable SUV I have ever driven.

A couple days ago, I put the vehicle in reverse (automatic transmission). It rolled back about a foot and stopped. No amount of gas would budge it. I returned the gear selector to park. Put it back in reverse and everything worked fine. The next day, it happened again. But this time I could not get it to go in reverse no matter what I did. I let it coast out of the driveway and took it straight to the dealer. It was a Saturday and the service department was closed. My salesman got me a rental car. The service department called on Monday. They could not repeat the problem. They said they would keep it over night and try again in the morning. They also said they emailed BMW about the problem.

Today they called to tell me that they were replacing the entire transmission. I asked if they could duplicate the problem I had. They said no, but that BMW told them to replace the transmission anyway.

My thoughts. 1) I have to believe the BMW is aware of some type of problem or at least aware that my complaint fits a scenario that warrants replacing the transmission (not a cheap procedure).

2) How refreshing not to hear: "We could not duplicate the problem, please bring it back if it happens again."

3) I can;t wait to get out of my Kia Amanti and back into my X3!
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,898
    To keep this on topic.. How much did you pay for your X3?

Now that is out of the way...lol

1) A lot of times, transmission problems on BMWs can be solved by a software upgrade.. Since they didn't do that, it is possible they aren't aware of what is wrong..

Also, dealers rarely do any transmission repairs anymore.. The labor costs for tearing down a transmission are so high... and the chance of an experienced tech knowing what to do is so low, even if they did, makes it much more cost effective to swap it out with a factory rebuilt unit.. And, from a consumer perspective, much more likely to result in a satisfactory repair..

2) AMEN

3) No doubt about that..

Glad to hear you had a good experience... So far, my limited contact with the local BMW service department has been great. (The BMW Store in Cincinnati, if anyone cares).

regards,

kyfdx

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• So many have commented on the cheapness of the X3 interior and cheap plastic feel. If interiors are so improtant to some, the X3 may not be their choice. The Lexus and FX may be thier choice. As for me BMW's are superior, the XDrive has gotten nothing by=ut phenomenal reviews, the Panoramic sunroof is remarkable and frankly, there's just something about the double kidney grill that Bimmer lovers just like.

Also, there are very high end, high quality dash real wood trim sets for $300 or so available. I am certain that that investment will totally change this critical comment and create a more plush feal. That's what I plan to do in March when I purchase my X3. Nuff said.
  • Yes, the interior has been discussed here in detail, and bottom line is to go with what you like and what is important to you. There are many options in the SUV segment.

For myself, I happen to like the more “rugged” interior of the X3 vs. the more “plush” interior of the Lexus and some others. I put the X3 through some hard use like my large dog, skiing, construction sites and biking. I would be terrified to use a Lexus like I do my X3. Above all else, handling and X-Drive were critical in my choice to by the X3. I just plain enjoyed driving it more and felt safer.

I don’t knock Lexus owners (my sister-in-law has one and loves it), as it targets a different demographic, and is a quality vehicle in its own rite. Just not for me.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Lexus would put a decent AWD system, rear torque biased of course, in the RX330, say a clone of the one BMW uses.

Or even the one from the Ford FreeStyle.
  • markjennmarkjenn Posts: 1,142
    On the transmission replacement, I'm convinced that dealers often replace them when they are simply too lazy or incompetent to debug minor problems. I also think they use large jobs like this as a load-leveler when their warranty work is slack. I can find no other explanation for why they fight against doing some warranty repairs tooth/nail, but then suggest unneeded repairs on a visit a month or two later.

Example: I brought my ML320 to the local MB dealer complaining that it was difficult to get it to kick-down to the lowest gear in some situations. I'm pretty sure that they simply needed to fix/replace the kickdown switcn on the gas pedal linkage - I could feel that it was sticky and reluctant to make contact through my foot.

They called back a day later saying that they couldn't get the transmission to show "acceptable numbers in their computer" and it needed total replacement. It happened under warranty, so it was free, but except for this minor problem it was performing flawlessly. In fact, the new transmission doesn't shift as smoothy.

- Mark
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,898
    In BMW's case.. they have to call BMWNA and get their opinion on just about any covered repair..and approval for anything major.. So, I doubt it is laziness on their part... I do know that BMWNA does not want them tearing down a transmission for diagnosis.. Many $100s in labor costs.. and then still have to pay for a replacement..

Honda replaced the transmission in our '01 Accord as well.. I really think it is the manufacturer that pushes it..

Our BMW was in for the service-engine-soon light.. No apparent problems.. no fault codes showing.. They replaced the mass airflow sensor.. I noticed on the service paperwork, that they had called BMWNA, who recommended the replacement.. I guess if they can't find anything wrong, then the sensor that reports the fault is just assumed to be the culprit..

regards,

kyfdx

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Kyfdx, you are correct about them having to call (in this case email) BMWNA. When I picked up the X3 yesterday, the service guy said "problem solved." I was in a hurry, so I did not have time to question him, but I got the distinct feeling they had (at least through BMWNA) identified a problem even though they had earlier said they could not duplicate it.

In the end, they treated me very well. Provided me a brand new loaner for four days. I now have my X3 back, and it drives like a dream.
  • I hope other X3 owners with DSP can help me. Are you able to retain different DSP settings for different sources? The owner's manual says you can, but my car won't do this. I want DSP off for radio but on for CD; but when I change the setting, it changes it for all sources.

I had the dealer look at this, and they told me they fixed the problem (said a key setting had been turned off, and they turned it back on). But this didn't fix the problem, and when I called them back on it, they told me the owner's manual was wrong and you couldn't save different DSP settings. By the way, the owner's manual says you can also save different bass and treble settings, and I am able to do this.

This isn't a huge issue, but it's just kind of a pain to have to manually change the settings, since you have to go through so many button pushes to change DSP. I'll probably end up leaving it off, if I can't save the settings.

Thanks.
  • Does anyone know if you can special order the X-3 with sport seats, but WITHOUT the sport suspension?? Bad back...need the support, but do not want the more harsh ride. Any other seat suggestions, i.e. Recarro orthopod retrofit, etc.? Thanks! Also, best price over invoice on a 2005? $1000 should do it this time of year, but I haven't seen a post.
  • enjoyenjoy Posts: 1
    Iam a satisfied owner of an X-3w/a 3.0 ltr. without a sport pkg - I have a BACK problem and was not comfortable with a std interior - I purchased a premium pkg that comes with Leather

and FULL LOMBAR SUPPORT ONLY WITH THE 3 LTR. THIS SUPPORT IS NOT A WHEEL ADJ. IT IS OF THE AIR BLADDER TYPE - this was in the 04 that we own it was standard in the two front leather seats - it is the perfect solution for ME, my wife complains that the adj. that I made was not good for her so I simply re-adj. her seat - the adjustment is not easy it appears to work on the

curvature of your spine at 4 points you can increase or decrease the pressure - takes some

work to get it rite I am a happy camper at this

point. the instructions are in the book it takes some work. also make sure that it still comes with the 05's . Good luck.
  • Thanks, I appreciate the input. I really like the additional pelvis support (sides) of the sport seat, but perhaps the inflatable lumbar will do the trick. BMW's (I have an X-5), tilt rearward and all you can do is lower front of cushion. Ideal posture is to have the back part of the lower cushion, slightly higher than the front. I'm also looking into having a custom auto upholsterer, retro my existing OR new seat if I go with the 05 X-3. Great handling with the same engine and tranny of my X-5, but 700lbs lighter...wow!
  • Folks, I was wondering if there was anything I should do to the x3, if i am going to be out of town for a few weeks.. it will be sitting in the garage, otherwise, but anything special that needs to be done?