Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X3

Comments

• bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Well, I'm not sure it is a full-fledge chick car, but next to the X5, it is the feminine side of that coupling. I do see more women, especially younger women (although that could be because I pay more attention to younger women :blush: ) driving the X3 than I see men. It is smaller and easier to get in and out of, so I guess it would be natural for more women to favour it.

But hey, don't worry about it. You should be so secure in your manhood that you can drive around in broad daylight in an X3, and a white one no less! :P
  • pgeterspgeters Posts: 12
    I just leased a black X3 as well and, although I also love mine (along with the way it looks), I just don't think it is cute enough to ever be considered a real "chick car". The smaller size and price compared to the X5, I believe, will inherently push the X3 toward the feminine demographic.

I chose the X3 for a number of manly reasons, mainly the sports car-like handling, to haul a boat, and to be able to move furniture and home improvement supplys better than my old G35, none of which seem like typical feminine values. The X5 was out because it cost too much (no ridiculously good lease deal) and the mileage would have been even worse than the X3, all manly financial considerations that, yes, my wife appreciates too.
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 12,829
    I can't think of many cars these days which are thought of in those terms, that is "Masculine" or "feminine" (I have seen big masculine guys driving Miata's, Smart cars, Echoes, etc.). I don't think of an X3 as being a "chick car" at all. I think it appeals to women because women like the SUV concept, but they don't want a big hulky vehicle, so they would naturally choose the smaller cars, RAV-4's, Liberty's included. By the way, I am male and my X3 is white - and the thought never occur ed to me. Now I am concerned...no just joking. Now, if you got a pink one people might talk, but that would be true of any make.

2015 Mercedes-Benz E400 , 2013 Audi A4, 2013 VW Passat

Yes, I was being facetious about a white X3. ;) Now if we were talking about a white Miata.... :P
    Come on guys....lighten up! The topic "Will 2006 styling save GM" is open to all - anyone can have an opinion on this one. Anyway, if they didn't get some other views they'd all get bored slapping each other on the back about their wonderful cars.

I don't think anyone was calling anyone an idiot, it was just taking literal license with a Dilbert quote.

I know BMW people are polite and realize different cars are made for different people, and of course there are socio-economic reasons for buying various cars. I see very little in the way of insults, just some friendly jabs....and the idea of mentioning it is only for your entertainment value, if you are so inclined.

I know you were only joking and I never took it personally (white X3). But, it did make me think that if someone really needs a masculine image, it is probably best to get an American car. I said before that most cars don't have gender images, but I think some do.....such as Hummers, Tahoes, Suburban's, Yukons, new square edgy Cadillacs, Durango's, Ram trucks, Chargers, Magnums, Expeditions, LTD's, Chrysler 300's. Most European and Japanese designed cars seem to be fairly gender nutral. Maybe, recognizing this fact leads to stronger sales since there are more women buying cars, and helping or making the buying decision.

Yup, you're right. Those models you listed are definitely preferred by men...and Tonya Harding! :blush:
  • Masculine and feminine depends on the attitude.

It is true that some cars have more masculine character than others but I think some very insecure males do drive hyper-masculine cars to compensate for their insecurity.

I suspect there is a healthy percentage of dodge and porsche owners who are wimp but wont let it out.

But to tell the truth, when you meet a wimp you know it. So a dodge or a ford F250 can impress a stranger but not the person who will later discover the driver in less than 5 minutes that he is indeed a wimp.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    So you think anyone who drives a GM car is an idiot?

Not all, just 80-90% of them.

Maybe the guy drives a GM car but he lives in a million dollar home and spends half a year on a cruise ship. Different priorities for different folks.

Maybe I do too; so what? If he seriously believes that any Chevy(short of a C5) is equivalent to a BMW he is an idiot-regardless of his net worth.

Hmm...perhaps the guy who drives a Chevy thinks you're an idiot for spending so much on a depreciating asset.

Lessee... I spent less than $30K on my CPO X3. So I guess spending the same amount or more on a magnificent engineering triumph such as an Impala or TrailBlazer makes him a genius?

You get too uppity

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Here's an idea; why not try developing a sense of humor? Meanwhile, I'll just continue adding to "the negative stereotype of BMW owners"- because, after all, we ARE better than you. ;)
    But enough about GM; here's an update on our new(to us) X3:
    After five months and almost 10K miles(26K total) it continues to run flawlessly. As expected, we've experienced no problems. When the SI countdown reached 7.5K I drained the factory Castrol and fitted a new filter and poured in 7 quarts of Mobil 1 0W-40, which I will continue to use even though I have to pay for it. I do think I'll have to buy a dedicated set of winter tires and wheels so that I can fit summer tires, as the all-season Bridgestones are only average in terms of grip. That said, they still stick good enough to surprise the few hapless souls who try to keep up with the truck on a twisting two lane or decreasing radius on ramp. The last guy almost plowed into the guard rail. Guess I'll have to try harder next time... :P
  • bargamonbargamon Posts: 302
    All I know is the older I get (45) the less I care about the image of the car I drive. Status is all in the mind.

WE all strive for independence and thus the higher our net worth is the stronger our security is to remain independent.

When we are struggling and self esteem is shakey, buying an expensive car tells the world you doing ok.

Then there are those whom are not secure with the size of their manhood and need to compensate with a certain perchase.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,956
    How about we get back to the attributes of the X3 now that the weekend is over? Thanks,

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

Which dealer do you work for???????
    What more can you say when you know the X3 has the best handling, best engineering, has the best styling, has most safety features, best trade in value, is the most fun to drive...of any other car in it's price range or in it's category?????????

What is better??????????????

I don't know. Haven't driven all of them. But of all the attributes he listed, resale value is the only one that perhaps can be quantified. Does it have the highest trade in? Maybe, maybe not. The rest of what he was ranting about are subjective. Re safety features, I think the X3 is pretty well on a par with a lot of other models out there in that price range. No better and no worse.

Did you notice he didn't include overall value, comfort, ride quality, passenger and cargo capacity, reliabily, cost of repairs amongst the attributes??????????????

Hmm...interesting, eh?????????

So, the defence rests. Case closed!!!!!!! :P :P :P
    BMW's do have the highest trade in value of all SUV's, check in last weeks Globe and Mail (my message 2517)...

4 year old BMW SUV's (2002) were worth 57.3% of their original value, Toyota's 55.5%, Honda 53.4%, Lexus 49.4%, Accura 47.6%, and at number 5 Mercedes 46.1% (in Canada)

It might not be best in any one or two (or three)categories but OVERALL....I'd be curious to know what is better?????

It might not be best in any one or two (or three)categories but OVERALL....I'd be curious to know what is better?????

It seems that the E83 has carved out its own niche in the SUV marketplace. It's relatively small and it possesses the characteristic BMW driving dynamics. In our case my wife wanted to replace her E39 5er with a vehicle that could traverse our 2600 foot gravel driveway(Satch Carlson calls it my personal rally stage) in any kind of weather. Her first choice was the X3, although we also gave strong consideration to the Xterra Off Road. We finally chose the X3, primarily because the X3 was a much better long distance cruiser as well as the fact that we already had a go-anywhere 4X4(my 1999 Wrangler work beater-though see below). We really didn't consider anything else. The domestic SUVs were deadly dull-most sported column shifts-and almost all of the so-called "crossovers"-domestic AND imported-drive like the FWD appliances that they are derived from. That said, if I was looking further upmarket I suppose I'd consider the Infiniti FX, the Cayenne/Touareg, and the X5-though all of them are a bit too porky for my tastes(the 4.8is excepted). Funny thing, this weekend I came across a really clean high-mileage 2001 330Xi stick, and if the price is right it might just replace the Jeep. Looks like the old rally stage is REALLY going to get a workout ;)
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    "No better and no worse."

Actually BMW tends to lead in a lot of safety features, eg. DSC and it's variants, has been available across the entire product line for many years.

"overall value, comfort, ride quality, passenger and cargo capacity, reliabily, cost of repairs amongst the attributes"

Value is in the eyes of the beholder, does a Hyundai Sante Fe have more value than an RX330? I would think so, yet the RX330 is a good seller.

Comfort, ride quality? A very subjective quality for sure.

Capacity? Yes that can be measured, who wants to drive an Excursion anyway?

Reliabily? Is it unreliable?

Cost of repairs? Free for four years, after that you're on your own.
  • mike141mike141 Posts: 8
    Has anyone had experience with the GPS system for the X#. I order mine with it and would like to know if it user friendly?
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,108
    We have it in our 2005 X3 -- it is very easy to use.

What specifically do you want to know?

:shades:

1. moving map
    2. color screen
    3. voice prompts
    4. arrows and pointers if you want to switch the map off
    5. detinations (restaurants, hospitals, gas stations, etc) aplenty in the the data base
    6. large memory
    7. cross hairs mode for "finding approximate" destinations when you only know "about where something is," but not its street name, etc.
    8. cannot be activiated via voice, however, must key in city, state, street, intersection, etc. . . all the usual stuff.

9. voice prompts work with Radio/CD and telephone even if telephone is used via bluetooth or vial built in adapter.
    10. screen mode can be full or split.

Ask away, brother (or sister), if I can help I will.
  • mike141mike141 Posts: 8
    I guess my major concern is how is it to program the destination you want to go to. Secondly, is it easy to drive and glance at the screen? Lastly is the size of the screen large enough where the object do not seem cluttered?

Thank you for all your help!!!

PS I am a brother :P
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,108
    To select a destination you do the following:

Input City.

To do this you rotate the right hand "radio knob" through letters of the alphabet that are displayed horizontally on the color Nav Screen in the center of the dash. "C" then push the knob in and then rotate to "I" and push the knob in, at some point the system recognizes Cincin and Cincinnati and all the possible locations in the US that begin with Cincin. . .show up.

Rotate the radio knob until you see Cincinnati, OH and press the knob in.

Input street.

Same routine, "M" "A" "I" until yo see "Main" street.

Then you can either put in "house number" or intersection.

If you know your desitnation is near Main + Central, select intersection and the screen will, in alpha order display all the intersections to Main.

When you reach "Central" press the knob in.

Then "Start Route Guidance" -- and determine if you want to see the full map, half map or arrows only.

Voice prompts accompany every mode.

"In 600 feet, turn left. . ."

"You are no longer on a digitzed road."

"You have reached your destination."

"Turn right in one quarter of a mile."

And so on.

The system could only be easier if you could recite the destination one letter at a time and then pick from a list.

My Audi permits picking from a previously NAME tagged list by voice command. Not quite fully automatic.

The BMW system is great -- not perfect, but great.

Does this help? :confuse:
  • jb_shinjb_shin Posts: 357
    With 2006 (or 2005-2) map discs, ZIP code can be also used in place of the city name, which often cuts down on typing in city names.
  • califjohncalifjohn Posts: 101
    I am looking for a rubber "trunk" (cargo area) mat with a short lip to keep spilled things on the mat.I don't want or need to cover the whole cargo area, with seats folded down, just the rear half. There doesn't seem to be a mat specific for the X3 that I have been able to find. Has anyone had a similar problem and how did you resolve it? Color is not important, and a "universal" mat would be fine as long as it fits. I am surprised WeatherTech or Husky has overlooked the X3 trunk, Thank you..
    BMW offers exactly what you are looking for. It's called an "All Weather Cargo Liner" and it is available in three colors:
    Black- 82 11 0 305 078
    Beige- 82 11 0 305 079
    Gray- 82 11 0 305 080
    MSRP is $65.00, so with a CCA discount you should be able to find it for under $55.00
    BMW also offers a "Luggage Compartment Tray" which is made of shatter-proof and acid-proof plastic. It is considerably larger than the mat and it protects @8" of the sides of the compartment. The part number is
    51 47 0 306 043 and MSRP is $265.00- or around $215.00 with your CCA card.
  • xxmanutdxxxxmanutdxx Posts: 2
    I just picked up my X3 yesterday at the dealership. When I drove it home, I realized that after I signaled and made my left/right turn the signal would not shut off automatically, I didn't pay much attention to this until today. Is this a malfunction in the car? or is this how the car is? and is there a way I can fix it?
  • califjohncalifjohn Posts: 101
    Thanks for the info on the rubber trunk mat! I will check it out when I go back to the dealer to find out why my new X3 rides like a truck! On smooth pavement it is sweet as can be but get on any kind of washboard, expansion joint, potholed surface and it will jar your fillings out. I have to believe that there is something not hooked up (like shocks!) under there. The units I test drove were not this harsh. I do not have the sport pkg, tho' it does have the 18" factory tire option. I hope that time will allow the suspension to loosen up a bit so I won't have to issue kidney belts to my pax! Did I mention that it really is a sweet driver!
  • juanchyprjuanchypr Posts: 17
    Hi all,

My X3 is in schedule on 2 weeks for inspection 1, 27K miles.

I printout from BMW OC's the suggested checklist inspection I maintenance schedule, that explain to us "know exactly what to expect when your BMW is serviced".

On the list I highlighted a few items and add a few mores.

If someone already went to bring your X3 on inspection I and want to share their experiences is welcomed.

Thanks,
    :) X3_3.0 2004, Alpine White, Gray Montana, Steptronic ;)
    Have the dealer check to make sure that any and all shipping spacers have been removed from the suspension. That could easily be the problem- and it should have been caught by a good PDI.