Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X3

Comments

• corralcorral Posts: 58
    I have the same problem as do many other people. Is Bmw handeling you well or putting you off untill parts come in in several weeks?? Be cautious about putting a passenger in the front seat as there is a ? about weather or not the airbag will deploy at all. Bmw told me there is a system default that will deploy in any crash. But the light clearly claims pass airbag off. Read my posts 1548, and 1556 and 1621,1622,1623,1624. Let me know how it all works out.
  • We just purchased our 2005 X3 3.0 last Sat.My wife seem to noticed a bumpier ride than the 01 Nissan Pathfinder we traded in (she drives the X3, I drive 330xi)We didn't take sport package.She kept insisting that the ride is so bumpy she has a headache and nausea after driving X3 from work.She drove my car a week before the X3 arrived and now compares the ride to my car which she likes much better, according to her a much smoother ride. Has anyone experience this?
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    That's just the way it was designed--all X3's have a very firm ride. Sport Package models can beat your teeth out over bumps. Didn't you ever read any revies of an X3?

I guess that's why people test drive cars--did your wife do that beforehand? There's no real problem with it, but compared to a Pathfinder or 3-series, I can see how the ride can seem a little hard, but it's just a characteristic of the design.
  • Of course we test drove one, for some reason it was not noticeable probably because our focus was in to other things in the car.I saw previous posts regarding tire pressure helping to ease harsh drive.Will it?Other posts said drive (harsh)changes after few miles is put in the car.I have about 400 km right now.
  • markjennmarkjenn Posts: 1,142
    The X3 ride is definitely on the firm side, but also check your tire pressures if you haven't already. They're way overinflated at the factory to avoid flat spotting during transit to the dealer and it is common for this to be overlooked in pre-delivery inspection. (Which is a sad statement about how most dealers don't even bother with the most basic mechanical adjustments before delivering a car.)

I've had two new cars delivered to me with tire pressures nearly 20 psi too high.

- Mark
  • We just came back from our dealer to test drive an X3 3.0 with 15,000km in it.It was a totally different car, smoother and not as stiff.Understandable because it is broken in.But the harshness of the drive I couldn't understand.Anyway we had the assistant shop foreman drove our car with us.He said that X3 are more sensitive to the road bumps anyway but he will definitely check the tire pressure and suspension for us when we get to the dealership,which he did.TIRE PRESSURE WERE UP TO THE MAX as Mark posted in #1717.They fixed that and we drove home. We're in a totally different car this time and a BMW which we always love. Thanks for all your input.
  • markjennmarkjenn Posts: 1,142
    Glad this worked out. You've got a great SUV. I'd purchase a simple pencil tire-gauge at a local car parts store, put it in the glove box and use it once/month or so. Have fun,

- Mark
  • Yeah, this is not the normal sound reverberations that a sunroof is prone to have, this is actually the glass slamming against itself when extended all the way back, not sure it's the same issue. I have experience the sound reverberations before with previous cars, not the same. Any other ideas? Anyone else experience this?
  • My first thought, when I get in cars with massive, over-size sunroofs (The X3 and the MINI come to mind), is that it has to be extremely hard to have that much open space and glass, and not have rattle or alignment problems...

The roof is a major structural part of the car, that keeps the whole body together... Cutting that big of a hole, has to make it more likely to create problems...

That said, I wouldn't order either of those two cars without it.... I hear of lots of problems with the X3 sunroofs.. and, I'm not that surprised... Hope they can fix yours..

regards,
    kyfdx

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• NP. Sounds like a real issue, then. Mine is tight (except for the helicopter sound) so I would think you need to have the techs fix it up for you.
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 11,327
    I have had my X3 for about 7 months and I love it. Handling, comfort and safety are excellent.
    I do find that the power windows do not work when the temperature is at around 32 degrees Fahrenheit or 0 Celsius. The dealer says this is normal in X3's. I find it embarrassing to open the door in drive-throughs or to pay for parking, etc. Any ideas how they can build such a technical masterpiece and yet the Ford Focus in front or behind me doesn't have a problem. I have never had this problem on other cars and at much lower temperatures.

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

• I took my dog with me to the various car dealers. My 70 lb black lab works very well in my X3. The ski bag does not fit 4 pairs of skis as advertised, 2 at most. The X3 is more agile than the volvo. BMW assist does not work if the keys are locked in the car, they tell you to wait 2 to 3 business days for them to ship you a new key - which doesn't work when your child locks the keys in the car at the ski slope 250 miles from home. It's a good vehicle, averaging 23 miles per gallon primarily with highway driving.
  • I live in Chicago, and this is my second winter with my X3 now. My windows have NEVER failed to work. I don't think any car is designed to have windows that can't work below freezing!

Take it back to the dealer, or better yet another dealer that won't give you a line of BS.
  • I also have a large dog (Greyhound). I keep a blanket in back to cushion the floor. He's very happy back there.
  • My windows have failed to operate in frigid weather as well, but it only lasted a few minutes.

My dealer told me they have never heard of the problem with the airbag sensor malfunctioning.

And now every morning when the temp ranges from 30-49 or so, the amber light that looks like a square with a jagged line on it illuminates briefly.

But I still LOVE this car.
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 11,327
    Harplayer, thank you for your answer about my frozen power windows. I am going to show your response to the dealership and if I don't get the problem solved I'll take it up with BMW. That should be a big help toward getting this problem corrected.

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

• rayb1rayb1 Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 X3, 2.5, with the 6 speed manual. It's been on the road three months (2,000 miles) and I already miss our previous 325's synchros. Particularly, I find second gear to have too long a throw from first, and too much of a crunch at the end. Not to BMW standards - me thinks. Before I lean into the dealer, has anybody else been "suspicious" or unhappy with the manual 6 speed transmission?
    RB
  • harplayrharplayr Posts: 70
    Let us know how they respond. I cannot believe that BMW would tell you that the car was designed for windows that will only operate above freezing temps. If your dealership blows you off, go to another dealer if there is one in your area.
  • kewilpeekewilpee Posts: 15
    Does anyone have any tips prior to taking delivery? 3.0 loaded minus the sport package
    thanks
    Kevin
  • harplayrharplayr Posts: 70
    Other than verifying tire pressure, make sure you take an extended test drive before accepting delivery.