Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X3

Comments

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 11,762
    Maybe you should reserve final judgement until you've driven it

True, but those are my first impressions. Unfortunately I can't test drive every car out there (wish I could) but my comments were just from the looks and the review....could be a great car to drive, but I have never heard anyone rave about the MDX for its handling. In fact, most reviews say if you buy a Pilot you will get basically the same vehicle and save $1,000's.

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

• davidc1davidc1 Posts: 167
    According to MotorTrend's latest issue, RDX walks all over X3 in the handling department. SH-A system seems to work. If they price it $5k or so less than X3, you can't ignore it.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    From early indications, the RDX will not be your father's MDX! ;)
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,153
    Sounds like everyone in here is pretty happy with their BMWs. Thanks for reading the blurb.

There's also a new luxo MB SUV arriving, albeit bigger than the X3, but newcomers probably don't want me sending y'all down another garden path this soon. :shades:

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,071
    The new interior, engine and transmission should darn near cure almost everthing that ails the X3.

Unfortunately, the 255 HP engine will probably be seen by some as too little and too late considering that all the SUV type things out there these days seem to START at at least 250HP.

Hopefully the 3 series interior treatment (or better) will be given to the X3 -- iDrive included (sorry if you don't like it.)

Too, it would be pretty cool if BMW were to adopt/adapt the 7 speed transmission similar to the one used by Mercedes -- that would probably cure some of the ills caused by the relatively low power engine it will have at 255HP.

Of course, I can dream of a mild turbo treatment, can't I?

:shades:
    According to MotorTrend's latest issue, RDX walks all over X3 in the handling department.

Could be.....I'll believe it when I see it or another reviewer who has actually tested it. It is worth a look if it is priced $10,000 lower than the X3, which is what they seem to be claiming...$30,000.

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,071
    Was there a comparo of the two?
    "Hopefully the 3 series interior treatment (or better) will be given to the X3 -- iDrive included (sorry if you don't like it.)"

I can live with iDrive. But leave out the keyless ignition, thank you very much. ;)
    Was there a comparo of the two?

I can't find any testing on the new RDX. davidc1 says there is a favorable article for RDX in Motor Trend...great handling. Anything I can find talks about the RDX being available,or available soon, but no real road test or comparison.

Sounds like an interesting engine. 255 HP from a four!
    RDX could be a keeper, but I am not impressed with the looks.

Can someone buy a car if they don't really like the looks?

• juanchyprjuanchypr Posts: 17
    According to MotorTrend's latest issue, RDX walks all over X3 in the handling department. :cry: :sick: ">link title

Handling Department :confuse:

Motor Trend need to read this article :)

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/newsID/2060324.007/country/gcf/bmw/bmw-is-n- o.1-all-wheel-drive-supplier-in-premium-segment
    "Can someone buy a car if they don't really like the looks?"

I would say so...I see lots of BMW 5-series around!
    Maybe I am missing something but I can't get to the Motor Trend link.
    The url has a great picture of an X3 and some good copy.
    I'd like to see the comparison or should I buy a copy of MT?

I would say so...I see lots of BMW 5-series around!
    I don't like the looks of the X5 either, but surely the people who buy one must think they look good.

Although my wife would buy a car based on safety features first, but I think looks have to be acceptable. Maybe I am more shallow.

I'm referring to the 5-series sedans. I love the looks of the X5, as I think most people do.

I agree that if one is spending $30K+ on a vehicle, looks have to be acceptable, which I think the RDX is. It's not a knockout (at least not in photos), but it is certainly acceptable.

The only car I've ever bought which would have hooked me on looks alone is the TL (not to say it doesn't have other attributes). For all the others, looks probably wasn't one of the top 2 factors.
  • pgeterspgeters Posts: 12
    Well, the news wasn't all bad for the X3:

First of all, MT said that in the world of "SUVs that no longer ride like lumbering buses" BMW took the lead in this "exclusive segment" with the X3 several years ago.

Also Acura made it clear that the X3 was their target. Acura's engineer's goal was to "beat the BMW" (X3). They even gave the journalists an X3 so they could compare. That's nice that they think so highly of it.

Plus, later in the article, they said that they thought the RDX steering was "hesitant and not communicative" especially when compared to the X3. That just happens to be a large part of what I like about the X3.

Ummm, their 4 wheel drive system normally sends 90% of the power to the front wheels. Car and Driver said that with the "front-biased power delivery" that the RDX "behaves like a front-drive vehicle and understeer is it's defining characteristic". That walks all over the X3?

Autoweek said: "But we prefer the X3 by a fair margin over twisty two-lanes, despite Acura’s claim the RDX’s use of high-strength steel makes it torsionally stiffer than the X3."

Ahh, their storage space is 10 cu ft. smaller than the X3 (61 vs. 71).

C&D estimated about the same 0-60 time as the X3.

What else, oh yeah, the RDX is ugly!!! OK that may be subjective, but still... Makes the X3 look amazing IMHO. Big thanks to Acura for making me like the looks of the X3 more!
    Thanks for the update pgeters. This makes more sense than;
    According to MotorTrend's latest issue, RDX walks all over X3 in the handling department
    In fact, sounds like more positives for the X3 than the RDX. European cars lead the way in engineering, and the Japaneese are quick to copy at a lower price. Nothing wrong in that, it is just that the copy is always one step behind.
    IMO the Japanes have gone to this Montero, FX, look to distinguish their cars in the marketplace. That cartoonish style that looks like a Beatle on steroids will look ridiculous in a few years...it already does now.

I'm referring to the 5-series sedans. I love the looks of the X5, as I think most people do.

If it wasn't for the X3 I would not have bought an X5. I don't like the looks of it. I would have got a Rover even if the reliability is not very good. To me, the X5 looks like a giant car, and not attractive car either.

Now the 5-Series I like as with most BMW's it has smooth lines and classic cues that will make it look good 10 years from now.

• davidc1davidc1 Posts: 167
    Hey, I just repeated what they said. If anything, I like that there'll be more competition for X3, Mazda CX7 being another interesting alternative. Both RDX and CX7 seems to be more about handling on dry/wet pavement. I also expect better fuel economy from both. Both Acura and Mazda will be priced well below X3. I too dislike the looks of RDX but I haven't seen one in person yet. Also, the looks grow on you over time. Didn't like the new 5 series when it first appeared but it doesn't look so bad now. In all likelyhood, X3 will still be my next purchase. I like that we have more to compare it with.
    I agree, it will be good to have more competition to choose from in this market. I don't think I will ever like the styling of the RDX though.
    What happened to square cars with big windows? I actually like a 1996 BMW 3 Series more than a 2006.
    I wonder if handling and safety can be as good with mostly front wheel drive?
    Not blaming you, and the information is interesting and worth knowing about....like to get some real hard facts first though.

Maintenance is the key. ;)

I did not receive any comments, regarding this topic. At the end what is really important on a car, in a house, in a boat, etc. is maintenance.

BMW offer a very competitive maintenance program for todays market.
    If you have to paid for it on the car price, :confuse: , it could be possibly or it’s true.

When you expect just oil change for Inspection I, and when you returned to picked up your car, they bring a 7 pages report, and with comments on all of the items.
    You can feel :) and your car also feel :)

X33.0_2004_Alpine White_Gray Montana_Steptronic">

Inspection I – Report
    A. BMW Inspection I incl. old oil disposal
    1 – 11-42-7-512-300 Oil filter Insert
    7 – 07-51-0-017-866 Oil 5W30 Synthetic
    Core Charge W
    1 – 64-31-1-000-004 Microfilter
    1 – 83-12-0-405-180 Windshield Washer

B. Check all coils and replace if Bremi are found
    C. Check and apply OBD Label
    D. 3411609 Removing and installing or replacing front disc
    Pads 2.00mm Disc 22.9mm both were replaced
    1 – 34-11-3-404-362 Brake Lining
    1 – 34-35-3-411-756 Sensor
    2 – 34-11-3-400-151 Brake Disc
    E. Removing and installing or replacing rear disc
    Pads 2.00mm Disc Ok - Pads were replaced
    1 – 34-21-3-403-241 Brake Lining
    1 – 34-35-3-411-757 Sensor
    F. Replacing both windshield rubbers
    1 – 61-61-3-424-489 Wiper Blade
    1 – 61-61-3-424-490 Wiper Blade
    G. Fuel System Tank
    1 - 16-11-6-756-772 Filler Cap

SIB 51-28-05
    H. Replacing Rubber Guide on both front door windows
    1 - 51-33-3-424-493 Window Guide
    1 - 51-33-3-424-494 Window Guide
    I. Replacing rubber guide on both rear door windows
    1 - 51-35-3-424-495 Window guide
    1 - 51-35-3-424-496 Window Guide

PLEASE PAY THIS AMOUNT: $0.00 :blush:
    PLEASE PAY THIS AMOUNT: $0.00

That is amazing, and one thing a lot of people don't think of when they just think BMW's are expensive.

They might actually cost less when you take things like this into account, and the trade in value...which is about the highest if not the highest around. And, in the meantime you have a beautifully designed, safe and great handling car to enjoy.

That list would have been 1/3 the size, or less, if they had to charge the customer. The dealer knows he can get paid from BMW corporate. And BMW corporate, to a large degree, would pay without much fuss, because they would just pad the cost to the selling prices of their cars. So..."PLEASE PAY THIS AMOUNT: $0.00" -- it's not actually $0.00. You've already paid. Up front too, if I may add! :P
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,923
    I don't know... it sure feels good to drive off without having to take out your wallet...

By comparison, a 30K service on a Honda or Toyota will run $250-$400 (add 30% for Lexus/Acura). If you need brakes, add $250 per axle. It is a real savings.

Everyone says you are paying for it... But, if your choices are leasing a 325i for $500/mo, or an IS250 for $500/mo., then the "free" maintenance on the BMW makes it that much cheaper than the Lexus..

I don't think the list gets any shorter for the paying customer, than for BMW corporate.. Ask anyone who has taken their BMW to the dealer for the 60K Inspection II.. :surprise:

I've seen it from both sides... I vote for free (or included, if you prefer) maintenance.

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

"..it sure feels good to drive off without having to take out your wallet..."

You don't have to...they took it from you already! :P
    BMW offer a very competitive maintenance program for todays market.
    If you have to paid for it on the car price, :confuse: , it could be possibly or it’s true.

What is better to see the bottle full half or empty half ?? ;)

I prefer full half... :cry: in my arm

:) X33.0_2004_Alpine White_Gray Montana_Steptronic
    Much to the chagrin of my liver, my bottle is always empty. :sick: :P My glass, however, is always 3/4 full! ;)
    For the record I will change my mind. I saw a beautiful shiny black X5 and also a silver Nissan Pathfinder and they both looked great.
    These vehicles are way too large for me to be interested in them, but these two looked sharp...so I have officially notified everyone involved.
    Still not impressed with the looks of the RDX but it could grow on me. I thought the new Camry looked pretty ugly, but I am getting used to it.

• div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    For the record I will change my mind. I saw a beautiful shiny black X5 and also a silver Nissan Pathfinder and they both looked great.

I also like the design and engineering of Nissan products. I ran a first generation Pathfinder for over 130K before I sold it to the owner of my indie BMW shop(go figure). If/when I ever sell the farm(literally) my first purchase-after I nab an orange M1 of course-will be an Imola X5 4.8is. I'll get it a vanity plate that reads "12 MPG" as well as three magnetic bumper stickers, which I'll rotate according to my mood:

"EARTH FIRST! We'll Strip Mine the Other Planets Later."
    "I Love Spotted Owls-They Taste Just Like Chicken!"
    "This is a Hybrid Vehicle: It Burns Gas and Rubber!"
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,460
    Somebody's already got you beat :P I saw a Dodge Magnum SRT-8 on Staten Island about a month ago with a vanuty plate that read : 9 MPG

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• div2div2 Posts: 2,580