Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X3

Comments

• sweepssweeps Posts: 1
    Where in the glove box, does the rechargeable flashllight plug in? I just purchased a certified pre-owned 2004 X3. The dealer gave me the flashlight but the he could not find where it plugs in. He said it goes someplace in the glove box. I have searched and not been able to locate where it to plug it in.

A MORE IMPORTANT QUESTION: The manual does not seem to have accurate instructions on how to operate the panoramic sunroof. What I mean is -- when I follow the manual, it does not operate the way it is supposed to. I am trying to open the glass part way and also the visor part way.

Thanks very much for any help.
  • lr3x3lr3x3 Posts: 2
    My X3 is going into the dealership for the 4th time to resolve the rattling windows, creaking tailgate, airbag sensor passenger seat and now the creaking underneath the drivers seat.

are there any service bulletins out there that address this issue. i feel like my dealership thinks i am making this up/
  • juanchyprjuanchypr Posts: 17
    The service bulletin that is available at this moment is for the doors creaking. :)

Your dealer have to replace your 4 doors seals, of course depends on the year :cry: of your X3, only 2004 - 1/2 2005 :blush:

But, the best thing for all kind of noises in cars and I hope that you have your audio upgraded and if you do not have the upgrade, the basics work excellent too. Raises the volume of your radio with your favorite music and all the noises disappears like magic. ;)

:P X33.0_2004_Alpine White_Gray Montana_Steptronic
  • I have a 2005 X3 3.0 with the 6speed manual and sport package (with the 18" A/S tires.)

The car has over 20,000 miles on it, but the issue I am having has been around since the beginning.

When I round a corner with what seems to me to only be a hint of speed, my DSC kicks in which is a little unnerving. Perhaps my years of sport sedan driving have taught me to round a curve with too much speed for the X3. I was wondering if anyone has had the same experience.

Thank you.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Are you related to Mark? ;)
  • bargamonbargamon Posts: 302
    Not sure, the post is too short!

And wouldn't Mark already have the answer?

Maybe Mark can answer her via the forum! :blush:
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    Tina - I would think since you can replicate this issue almost at will you can demonstrate it to the dealer who can determine if the DSC circuitry is faulting.

You left out some details, such as how fast you take turns, road conditions, tire conditions etc. But you do know the DSC can be turned off completely. :blush
  • Okay, okay - yes Mark is my husband and I did check with him first and he can't figure it out either!
  • Your suggestions are good. I do know that the DSC can be turned off, but that has its own risks. The most recent time that this happened, I was not going that fast around a moderate turn (but I did not look at the speedometer) and the road and tire conditions were very good.

I like the idea of replicating it for the dealer.

Thank you,
    Tina
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,243
    Manual transmission... Just moved to an SUV from a car...

I think I have your answer!!

slow down ;)

I'll be keeping my eye out for a black X3 careening around the corners in the northern suburbs... lol.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Well...my sedans had a manual, too! I'll keep your suggestion in mind, though.

I try to keep the careening to an absolute minimum!

Thank you for your response.

Tina
    Tina appears...Mark seems to have disappeared. :confuse: Could Mark and Tina be the same person??! :surprise: Nah! Couldn't be. But it reminds me of an old movie -- Dr. Jekyll and Ms. Hyde...this guy changes from a man to a woman :blush: ...Mark changes into Tina and one side effect is the average length of his posts on Townhall is reduced by 1500 words! :P ;)
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,088
    She's a lawyer -- and, she's just getting warmed up, I'd wager. She asked me to post her question since I could not figure out why the DSC kept intervening as she cornered ever so slightly above a "normal" speed.

Ask your question, I suggested.

And, that is how we got where we are with Husband and Wife now part of the edmund's blogging family.

The family that blogs together, stays together.

This reminds me very little of the time in 1977 when. . .

just kidding.

Now where are those extra 1500 words, I know I put them around here somewhere. :P
    Hmm...one would've thought a lawyer would be the wordy one! :confuse: :P

Just ribbing you, Mark. We enjoy your long eloquent monologues.....sort of ;) ...just don't post the list of equipment on your X3 again :cry: :P
    Perhaps this data should be part of a profile. I have actually posted elsewhere and been queried about the packages and options, etc., apparently so the poster asking a question could put things in perspective.

On another forum I frequent, some of the folks "signatures" actually detail their current "garage" and some of the even more ravenous folks post their long term history with automobiles.

I seriously doubt many people would go back in time to check the equipment list that has been previously posted and sometimes when I am trying to make a point, I just wish the "profile" would contain the pertinent info.

None of this has anything to do with the DSC "malfunction" though (if it really is a malfunction.)

The only thing I can even remotely offer up as a cause for this (other than to suggested as did our host for Tina to SLOW DOWN) is another question: is the stiffness of the sport suspension in any way helpful in causing this phenom?

Background: DSC uses a variety of data from sensors. One of the data points is "G force" vs the position of the steering wheel, versus the speed and the "difference" in speed between wheels at the opposite ends of an axle.

When I have actually noticed it, it seems that the road surface, while dry, did have some gravel or dirt on it and perhaps the combination of all of the above caused some wheel slippage and difference calculations to trigger the DSC to step in and apply the brake on the inner wheel (?) to reduce "pending" oversteer.

She's a hot rod -- she just won't admit it. :shades:
    Autobild a german mag has pics on its website of the new model. I saw a preview on another forum and it looks nice.

The interior has some modest upgrade, most inclusive are some trim pieces. Nice look.

No mention or visual of the iDrive. This suprised me. I thought we'd see a double hump dash with it standard. Personally I don't want NAV, but I want a cool display. HMMMM........

Platnum color paint looked great!

The exterior has some black cladding on the bumpers. It splits the front and it looks good. Nothing major. IMO the mono painted bumpers made the truck look tall, this takes the best of the nonpainted look with a more upscale look and makes it again sporty. Compromise wins! Back looks still a bit busy, but its ok.

They mentions possible LED or special rear lights but the US spec model is not mentioned. The fast 268hp diesel is mentioned but I doubt that makes it over.

I must say that this vehicle is moving up to my list.

I prefer a sedan but Xdrive, 255 hp, 6 spd manual tranny, panoramic roof, tight BMW ride all for under 45k is very appealing! Full Maintnance included.

I will wait into the model year and lease. I suspect while this is a great package, it still will command a premium price and perhaps BMW will see to still subsidize the lease a bit. 60plus% residual and a bit off the price might make for good solid value.

Autobild has a website, check it out!
  • spindoc1spindoc1 Posts: 4
    Thanks bargomon for the autobild info. I don't read german but was able to navigate through the website to get to the X3 info and pictures. I didn't see too many (if any) changes to the interior, the exterior - rear more square with ?LED's. Obviously the big change will be the new engine but I could not decipher the german text to get the engine specs. Here is the link:

http://www.autobild.de/test/neuwagen/artikel.php?artikel_id=11680

There are 16 pictures including interior (click on "16 Bilder" for the pictures). Enjoy and decide for yourself!!!
    Overall...I like it!! :shades: :D Especially the front end with the new bumper treatment. Similar to the current X5, which is much better than all body-color, or all-black plastic. Meatier tires/wheels would make it look even better. As it is now, the tires/wheels look slightly undersized, in both height and width.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    272 hp 3 liter engine? 0 to 60 in 7.5? Looks like it might be a winner.
    I thought URL's were banned? Ok, then here is the most up to date info. Seems we get less horse power but quicker time! What ever!

link title
    Now I like it even more! If they manage to keep prices close to current levels, then it is on my short list. :shades:
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 12,204
    Pictures look great. Not enough changes to make me want to trade in my 2004...which was purchased. I do like the two tone interior and the platinum paint.

Last week I rented a Suburban. Was going to travel for 2 hours on a logging road. Asked for a Jeep but got this monster truck.
    It was unbelievable...it was so good to get back into the X3 after this experience.
    Just a brief synopsis;
    *Climbing in and out is an adventure, especially for my wife,
    *Even though there is a huge centre console the gear shift leaver is on the column. It is made out of tubular steel...looks like an old crank or something from Ikea to put furniture together,
    *The inside door handles are hiding directly under the armrests where you can hardly reach them. The handle looks like more of that tubular steel and actually protrudes from a hole punched in the door,
    *Parking is another adventure. Don't even attempt parallel parking. At the mall just go to the edge of the lot and use two spaces or a space on the edge where no one is across for you, or you might not get out,
    *dash is made from cheap plastic with tiny buttons. With all that room inside, the dash is huge and rises so the view ahead is not great, and the design makes no sense...just plain ugly with hills and valleys that are supposed to do something...look beautiful I suppose.

Good features are a digital compass built right into the mirror, and if you are on a logging road it is truly built like a tank. Which leads us to the light steering and absolute NO feeling of the road.

It makes you really appreciate the X3. :D

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

Hey Mark...would Tina like to comment on this poor fellow on the "Will 2006 Styling Save GM"?

A week ago I purchased a new G6 convertible. I got a call yesterday from the finance manager that says I must bring the car back because the 0% interest I got doesn't apply to this car. I must drive 200 miles to take the car back, taking it back on Wednesday. They are trying to get me a new interest rate now. I like the car but I am not sure what I should tell them to get the deal I want. It is legal for them to tell me to bring the car back. I can get my old car back (if they still have it) which they wouldn't tell me. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this or have any advice for me? Let me know if I should post somewhere else or what also.

See Will Styling Save GM to reply if you care to, or anyone else with legal knowledge!

While it is true that my wife is a lawyer, I seriously doubt she could render any advice other than the same advice that a reasonably well informed non-lawyer could render.

She does not practice in that area and would be ill advised to offer "legal" advice even if she did. My best guess is that she could point you to resources that might help you and possibly she would suggest you retain (as in "hire") an attorney or use your present lawyer(assuming you have one.)

I am certain she could give an opinion as a well educated and experienced person -- but this forum is not really for that. Besides, any comment she would make, I am certain, would be an opinion and although it might be well-informed it certainly would not be the basis for any response on your part.

If this is a really important issue for you, you should, as a matter of prudence, contact your own lawyer, pay for the advice and take it or leave it.

I am assuming that she wants to engage in conversation about the cars (the X3 in particular), not even attempt to render anything that would even remotely be called legal advice.

I could be wrong, as far as I know, she has not seen my "opinion" nor my advice, such that it is, here.

She's asleep probably by now.

:shades:
    No problem...thanks for taking the time to answer.

Most professionals probably don't mind giving a bit of general advice or a suggestion what to look for or look out for but that is certainly a personal or professional decision.

Although the problem was not directly related to X3's the reason I wrote was as a learning experience for fellow posters....because this could be useful information one day for anyone.

I rarely speak for my wife. I never speak for her as an attorney.

I know she checks in here; patience is a virtue.

My guess is she will not be participating here in any capacity other than as an X3 owner / operator.

:surprise:

Listen, when I seek legal services, I "hire" another lawyer -- not my wife.

Just seems to be an appropriate course of action. :shades:
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    I can almost guarantee that no attorney will even hazard a guess until he/she has had an opportunity examine the signed purchase and finance contracts. The contracts may provide an "out" for the dealer- but again they may not. I'd certainly have an attorney look them over before I made the 200 mile trip to the dealer...
    I'd certainly have an attorney look them over before I made the 200 mile trip to the dealer...

I agree, and I don't expect free legal advice or for a solution without reading the contract. However, a professional could say what to look for in the contract and give some general advice, such as....
    *see if the contract was dependent on financing being approved,
    *don't take the car back until you talk to a lawyer
    *if you do return the car make sure you are protected in getting your car back...watch what you sign
    *watch out for a bait and switch, such as "we couldn't get 0% financing but we will do it at a special dealer rate of 20% or we can give you low monthly payments (they might last for 6 years)",
    *Get financing arranged before you take the car back so if you don't get the 0% you won't just accept their terms.
    *Maybe the deal is fine and the dealer is on the hook because the contract is signed and they made the mistake thinking this car was included in the 0% financing sale.
    Once again, I don't expect a full legal answer and I know a lawyer has to see the agreement to comment on it.

(By the way I was only half joking when I asked Marks wife to comment, she might be too busy, have no interest in this, be in another type of field, it might be too much like work, etc. It was an invitation to comment if she would care too. On the other hand it was placed here just for general knowledge and to make everyone a little wiser hopefully...besides there's not much else going on around here lately). ;)

"Listen, when I seek legal services, I "hire" another lawyer -- not my wife."

Especially if it is concerning a divorce! :P ;)
    "Listen, when I seek legal services, I "hire" another lawyer -- not my wife."

A wise man indeed!

Do you do wills by the way? :confuse: