Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X3

Comments

• Have you asked the dealer?
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    If you purchased a new vehicle you get access to the owners circle on bmwusa.com. There you can download a pdf version of the cars owner manual.

If you bought a used vehicle, you can register your VIN and then get access to the owners circle.
  • I had a bit of bad luck when I noticed something wrong with my X3. Just below the tailgate on the right hand side is a little square box. Apparently it was either pulled out or fell off revealing a hole. Does anyone know what I am talking about? Secondly, how much would it cost to replace that piece? :cry:
  • guestguest Posts: 774
    Don't cry over that.

Go back to your dealer and they'll probably give you the tiny piece and install it for free.

That hole is used to tow the car. There is a screw in your car (probably located underneath the cargo tray in the rear) that goes into that hole, which allows the tow truck driver to secure the car when its on a flat-bed.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    The missing part is the cover for the towing eyelet, which are fitted to the front and rear of German vehicles. BMW calls it a "Towing Eye Finisher". X3s with unpainted bumpers use part number 51123400945 at a cost of @$9.00. The painted ///M bumpers take part number 51123416948 at @$8.00 Vehicles with Aerodynamic Package I or II bumpers require part #51110305104, for @$15.00.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • The X3 is interesting, but it seems there is less support offered by the importer, and more reliance on dealers for resolution than with other brands. This seems to be a trend with most Euro importers, btw.

Do BMW owners find that to be true, or am I misreading the posts?
    You've probably noticed new discussions appearing all over the forums. What's happening is that we are closing generic, everything-in-one pile discussions like this and creating smaller discussions that deal with specific areas of interest.

You'll find a number of discussions listed at the top level of this group: BMW X3. When you are ready to post, please check the discussion list there for the appropriate discussion to post in. If there doesn't appear to be a discussion for the issue or problem you have, feel free to create one. We can deal with accidental duplication of topics as things progress.

While you are at the top-level, don't forget to click on Track This Group. You will then be tracking all of the BMW X3 discussions that are here, as well as any new ones as they are created.

Using Read New Posts will mean you won't miss anything on the BMW X3 board. If a discussion pops up which doesn't interest you (or is closed), all you have to do is click on Remove Track within the discussion.

Thanks for your understanding and help in making this group a great resource of information for BMW X3 owners!

Be sure and visit BMW X3 and X5: Meet the Members! to stay in touch.

tidester, host
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • jpbmwjpbmw Posts: 1
    Has anyone had any experience with towing a small trailer behind the 2.5 X3? The price to install a hitch here is nearly $900 and I am not sure if it is worth it or not. Should be hauling one or two ATVs with a small trailer. Any insight would be helpful.
  • emerlemerl Posts: 1
    Would appreciate feedback regarding the x3's off road capabilities. Rocky, mountain trails, etc. Thanks
  • There is a roaring noice coming from rear wheels, the BMW guys said it is normal for all BMWs because performance cars are hard on tires, all four tires are starting feathering after 20000 miles, which cause this problem. It is really not convincing to me and the noice is really annoying. Anybody has the same experience? Any solutions?
  • bosi77bosi77 Posts: 37
    Hey everyone I was just wondering: I have a 2007 X3 and I noticed whenever I want to defrost my windows when I push the defrost button hot air is blown on me as well as the windows. To be frank too much hot air is blown on me. Does anybody know how I can fix this or what I should do?

Thanks,

bosi77
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Hmm...usually I only hear complaints that it's BMW owners , not the car itself, that are full of hot air. :P ;)
  • You waited too long to replace your tires. 18,000 is about the right number if you have the UHP or MAX Summer only HP tires.

The H rated all seasons will go farther, but they pretty much suck in terms of performance.

We went for a half and half solution: UHP All-Seasons.

Expect about 20 - 25K out of these. Hope I'm right.

We've had tires on new German cars that needed to be replaced due to noise and wear in as little as 11,000 miles.

As far as I know all the mfgs now state (in the fine print) that the UHP or Max perf summer tires are:

A. not good below 45 degrees F.

B. not good on snow (DOH!)

C. will have SUBSTANTIALLY shorter treadlife than a Grand Touring or All-Season tire.

If you got 20K, consider yourself lucky. :cry:
  • You are talking about replacing a set of tires almost every year or two, the tread looks like still new. Wow. So this is what BMW owners are doing?
  • No no no! I am talking about replacing tires when they are worn. The low tread on these tires, the noise they make, the overall raggedy-ann look will be evident sometimes below 20,000 miles on the UHP and Max performance tires some of the mfgr's put on their cars.

The X3 with the standard set up OR the sport suspension set up comes with low performance (H rated) all season tires that should easily pass 30,000 miles and still be technically road-worthy.

I was talking about the ultra high performance tires, rated as V or more likely Z or Y -- or the even higher performance tires called Maximum performance. These tires are sticky, soft tread and stiff side-walled. In some cases 10,000 miles is "pushin' it."

Most of these cars come with either H rated All Seasons or Grand Touring (also H rated) all seasons.

I am NOT suggesting these tires of the lower performance persuasion are "bad or evil" -- they usually last much longer and work in cold temps and light snow (just the way American drivers like it.)

I have upgraded to the compromise American tire an Ultra High Performance All Season.

This irks some folks for they think I should just go all the way to two sets of tires one for 9 months one for 3.

The UHP all season compromise works so much better than the H rated lower performance all seasons, I guess I've become a victim of "good is the enemy of great!"

The tires most of these cars come with are simply adequate IMHO.

If you were lucky (depending on your perspective) to have you car come with uhp or max perf tires, you will have enjoyed "all your car can be." You will NOT enjoy regular and frequent tire swaps this fittment requires, however.

:shades:
  • thank you for your detailed information :)
  • I am deciding whether to purchase my manual X3 with a navi system and am wondering what has been the experience people have had with it.
  • I have a 2001 3 series with the most maps,2006-b. System works well, smooth but have noticed in complex intersections, 4-5 sts. coming into an intersection can be a bit vague. Case in point while in the Portland OR. area last summer it said to turn left (complaint 1 it does not give st. names) when I could turn either Left by 90 degrees or 2 another Left 45 degrees to my L. There may be more unusual situations like this but on the whole its' OK. I have a portable Garmin that I can take with me, covers these extremes and gives st. names.
  • I purchased my X3 (which I absolutely love) back in May of 06'. Since then I have probably put about 5K miles on it. My question has to do with the free maintenance program. Is there a specific timeframe I should concern myself with requesting an oil change? I know the service level indicates a change of oil within 15K miles, but since I am almost coming up to a year, do I just change the oil at the dealership or should I wait until I hit the 15K mile mark?
  • motorcity3motorcity3 Posts: 72
    Hello everyone. What would be the best (and most economical way) to put some luggage on the rooftop of my 2005 X3. Which accessories do I need? Note, I have a moonroof. Can I put anything on the rooftop without having the Base Support System at the least?

Thanks.
  • 2004 X3 with 55,000 is now making a melodic tone (not a squeal, nor a whine) but an actual musical note when you apply the brakes. I've done the free maintenance on all brakes. They are not worn. No warning lights, new pads, etc...but the brake pedal seems much weaker and now it's making a tone.

Anyone have this issue yet?

p.s. I just replaced the factory Pirellis at 53,000 with the same set again. They were fantastic!
  • jrynnjrynn Posts: 162
    Wow ... this has been an inactive board.

The answer to your question is that you go in at the FIRST to occur of (1) 12 months since your last service or (2) when the service interval indicator says its time.

If you dive less than 15,000 miles a year, it'll usually be (1). (For you, May 2007).

If you drive 15,000+ miles a year, it'll usually be (2).
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,357
    p.s. I just replaced the factory Pirellis at 53,000 with the same set again. They were fantastic!

My wife's X3 came with the less than impressive Bridgestones. I recently replaced them with the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S, which is a more performance oriented A/S tire. I got a super deal from Tire Rack- $347 including shipping. A friend of mine who runs a tire shop mounted and balanced them for free. The Pirellis suit my driving style much better than either OEM tire.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,071
    I had these tires. They're great for about 15 minutes or 10,000 miles whichever comes first.

If your car is leased, they do not qualify when you turn the car back in either.

I've all but given up on Pirelli's.

:sick:
    had these tires. They're great for about 15 minutes or 10,000 miles whichever comes first.

Well, my wife has @7.5K on them and they are still doing fine.

If your car is leased, they do not qualify when you turn the car back in either.

I don't rent cars.

I've all but given up on Pirelli's(sic).

To each his own; I've always had good luck with Pirellis(P77s on a Bavaria 3.0, Scorpions on a Pathfinder SE, P6000s on a 318ti Club Sport); I'm even fitting a set of Diablos to my Triumph Speed Triple.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,881
    I put P77s on my '82 Accord!!

Nice tires that were ahead of their time.. :)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

IIRC, the P77 was one of the first tires that had "Inside/Outside" labels on the sidewall, due to the P77's dual compound tread. That tire worked pretty well for me- it even survived a track day at Watkins Glen.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,457
    As a kid, I never got BMWs. The boring (back then) to me 3 box shape of the E30 didn't appeal to me. I thought they were for status seeking yuppies. Most of the rich kids' parents' (I'm not claiming poverty here, but there were people I went to HS with that were WELL OFF) had an E30 325iC (Convertible) in their driveway.

Things changed when I went to college (don't they always?). My neighbor had an E30 325e with a 5 speed. One of my close friends (3 years older than me) bought himself a 1995 E36 325is with Sport Package, 5-speed, and it was even lowered from the factory sport settings (Individual Program?).

I went to college in Ithaca, NY which has some great, empty, winding, backroads. My Neighbor's E30 had a Gauge Cluster that stopped functioning when the car hit 150,000 miles. So we were riding around one day exploring some new corners to carve when we caught some air after a dip in the road. When the 4 wheels hit the ground, the speedometer clicked on and it showed that we were going 100 miles per hour! I was amazed at how well planted the car was in turns and how solid it was at 11 years old with well over 150,000 miles.

My friend with the E36 was from Buffalo. We were out at a club one night. It was getting late (4:00 AM) and my friend was going to leave with some girls (he was quite inebriated). He tossed me the keys to his Bright Red/Black E36 1995 325is. I got in the car and immediately found a great driving position. The car fit me like a glove. I was having such a blast driving that I hadn't realized that almost 4 hours had past as I roared around the quiet streets and highways of suburban Buffalo. I hit 110 on the highway and was driving 70 on the side streets. I even got the car to rotate around corners a few times. Ever since that night (morning) I've longed for a BMW.

Tonight one of my dreams became a reality as my wife and I took delivery of our Montego Blue/Black Leatherette '07 BMW X3 3.0siA. It drives so well for a truck.!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation