Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X3

Comments

• bodble2,

Hmmm, in thinking about your post, I believe you have a good point- it is different from the passenger's perspective and I'll confess I wasn't taking that into account at the time.

Thanks
    Bruce
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,494
    ;) My wife's X3 has a decent amount of ground clearance, AWD, and a tall, wagonlike body (that weighs over 4000 lbs)... In my eyes it is a truck.

Exactly. As I see it, it's a truck that does an excellent job of driving like a BMW car. However, now that I've got the Mazdaspeed3 we seldom take the X3 anywhere when I'm driving. If my 5'6" seventh grader is riding in the back we take the Mazda; if there's only going to be two aboard I might take my "ancient" E36/5. In any event, my wife loves the X3 and it can carry quite a bit of cargo. And when I finally get around to fitting the BMW trailer hitch I bought I'll be using the X3 a bit more- to haul motorcycles, bicycles, mowers and such.
    Just like a REAL truck... :P

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,584
    The N52 is a true gem of a motor. It motivates the X3 quite nicely. The X3 is definitely our family hauler. My Prelude has been relegated to commuting duties 6 days a week.

I'd like the next generation X3 to be a bit wider. We're going to see how this thing holds up for the 3 years we lease it for. If it is anything like my Dad's former "04 X5 3.0iA & my Mom's current 530iA, then I'd consider buying the next gen X3. Maybe with a diesel:) :shades:

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

The X3 is definitely our family hauler. My Prelude has been relegated to commuting duties 6 days a week.

We just have one kid, so we can take the whole family in any one of our cars; it just depends on the mission profile.
    Carrying lots of stuff/nasty winter weather? X3
    Commuting, four door convenience and possible stop light/back road Grand Prix competitions? Mazdaspeed3
    Track days/Pure RWD enjoyment? Club Sport
    Go ANYWHERE/transporting the German Shepherd? Wrangler

I'd consider buying the next gen X3. Maybe with a diesel

The BMW NA folks at Oktoberfest were very evasive when asked what US cars would get the turbo diesel motor(the 535d I drove was terrific; lots of low end grunt and mid range power). I've heard that one faction at BMW NA thinks that the X3 and X5 should get the oil burner in order to help BMW's CAFE numbers, while others think that diesels would give the SAVs an undesirable "truck" image :confuse: Me, I think they ought to put the motor in every platform. And if BMW offered a 135d five door hatch with the European M Sport package I'd buy one today.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Did you try the 215hp motor in the regular 3.0? Is the power adequate, or is there a significant drop-off from the 3.0si?

BTW, I don't want to see the next X3 any wider, at least in terms of exterior dimension. IMO, the current X5 is too big and too wide.
  • cotmccotmc Posts: 1,081
    "I'm looking to keep my '01 Prelude Type SH (bought new in April '02) for at least another 5 years. The only reason I would get rid of it would be if someone were to take it from me (or offer me a stupid amount of money). "

What if you find a great deal on a CPO 3-series coupe, such as an '05/'06 model with the Sports Package? Might that sway you to replace the Prelude? ;)
    "Did you try the 215hp motor in the regular 3.0? Is the power adequate, or is there a significant drop-off from the 3.0si? "

Are you referring to the '04-'06 3.0i? That model actually has 225hp. We recently purchased an '04 X3 3.0i for my wife, and I can say with some confidence its power is more than adequate. Of course, we were looking at used X3's (CPO models), which means we were comparing the 3.0i to the 2.5i, not the new 260hp 3.0si.

The 3.0i runs fairly quite and smooth, with plenty of passing power. BMW rated the X3 3.0i 0-60 mph acceleration at 7.9s with the 5sp automatic, or at 7.6s with the 6sp manual.

No doubt you'll feel some additional acceleration with the 3.0si, and I suspect you'll also see a small improvement with the fuel economy, based on the EPA rating differences. We typically don't lease, and so buying a low-mileage fully-loaded 2004 3.0i CPO model for about $26K seemed more sensible for us, instead of paying over $40K for an '07 3.0si model.
    you're in Canada. Maybe they have a 3.0i & a 3.0si north of the border.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

While a CPO BMW can be a great buy. I don't know if I could take the plunge. Plus Our X3 is leased and I only like having ONE car payment. I'm 31 and have only owned brand new cars since I got my license. My options within the next 5 years (the time I plan on holding on to the Prelude) are a 128i (6-Speed Manual/Sport Package/Sunroof), a CPO '05 E46 M3 Coupe, a CPO E90 335i Sedan, or a New WRX STi.

Like I said, for the same money I'd rather have a NEW car.

Yeah, I didn't realize you don't have the 215hp 3.0i in the US.
    the 3.0Si and all of the N52's 260 horsepower. It is a sweet engine. My wife's '07 X3 & my Dad's '07 X5 have it. It really negates the need for a V8 in the X5 unless you're towing something.

Oh, and while I'm at it listing my probable 2012 replacement for my Prelude, a used Cayman (might as well go for broke)!

Why is the Canadian 3.0i version 215hp instead of 225hp? Different emissions?
    I understand. I was thinking of something in the same price range as your Prelude, as well as something in the near future (instead of holding onto your Prelude). The Prelude SH provides a great sports car drive, but the suspension is not as forgiving as the 3-Series sport.

Every time I say I will hold onto my car for several years, something else comes along! I haven't held onto one car for more than 3 years since 1993.
    To be honest, I'm not sure! We used to have the 225hp version prior to 2007 model year. Perhaps the 215hp motor is the bored out version of the old 184hp motor?
    Every time I say I will hold onto my car for several years, something else comes along! I haven't held onto one car for more than 3 years since 1993.

I'm getting better at keeping my cars, but I relapse from time to time... :P
    As it stands now, I have one car that I've kept for almost twelve years(1995 318ti Club Sport) and one I've kept for five years(1999 Wrangler Sahara). My wife still likes her CPO 2004 X3 2.5 that she acquired in December of 2005, so it will remain in the fleet for the forseeable future as well. I can't imagine selling off the Mazdaspeed3 unless I hit Powerball, in which case I'd probably get a new M3 sedan AND an Exige(crosses fingers)...

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,703
    215 HP.. That is the 3.0 litre motor from the US '06 325i...

For 2007, US models were upgraded it to 230hp for the 328i..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Yes, that makes sense! I forgot about that one. Wasn't the '06 US 330i also a 3.0 liter motor delivering 255hp?

That still brings up one question: Why was the base '06 3.0 liter only 215hp instead of 225hp? The previous e46 platform as well as the X3 platform had a 3.0 liter at 225hp. I understand the engine was modified for '06, but rarely do we ever see a newer version of an engine, same displacement, putting out less power than the previous version.

Was it simply a case of BMW wanting to maintain a large buffer of horsepower differential between the 325i and the more costly 330i? It seems like Audi/VW was doing this in the US market with their 1.8T engines, back when the Jetta was rated at 180hp, but the Passat and A4 were rated at only 150 or 170 hp -- all with the same 1.8T engine. The models which also offered a more expensive V6 engine had the 1.8T version rated at lower power output.
    The 225 HP 3.0 litre from the E46 has multiple intake runners, while the new 3.0 litre in the 325i had a single intake.. (plus, it was a whole new engine.. and more fuel efficient).

Anyway, who knows what the real numbers were/are.. It's pretty easy to massage them up or down 5-10 HP for marketing reasons...

Just like the model numbers... 325, 328, 330, 335 all had 3.0 litre engines..

I do think the horsepower wars are a little silly, though... :)

• My wife really loves her 2005 X3 (virtually all options, the 225HP 6 and a stick shift too.) However, she has tested about everything you can imagine that might even be remotely considered a competitor. She's looked at vehicles, CUV's, SAV's & SUV's from many makers and in prices that seem to range from -$5,000 to +$10,000 difference of the current ('08) X3. With 6 lease payments left, the heat is on, since she will almost certainly be ordering a car and ordering it with a 90 day lead time.

The $44K Acadia? The $44K Tourag? The $39,950 LR? The $58K Q7? An as yet to be seen EX35 from Infiniti or Q5 from Audi? Something perhaps from SAAB, Volvo, ja?

We've driven Acuras, Infinitis, Lincolns, Cadillacs and Mazadas of all ilks and seemingly all price ranges. Hell we even drove the Hyundais of late vintage.

Along comes the new (but not too new) Jeep Grand (with a Hemi no less). Stop the madness -- pick something, get to know it, love it, choose it, get it.

OK, so the Acadia wins in several categories, but the engine needs to be the one in the new Cadillac CTS DI, not the anemic thing standard (now) in the Acadia.

The Land Rover is quite entertaining, as is the RDX and the MDX, etc.

Ah but the power of the Jeep is, er, entoxicating.

Well let's price one of these puppies:

A pretty much all out X3, as she wants it, is $49K. The Jeep is $42K. The Jeep is dicounted $4500 if you can walk and chew gum at the same time.

The Jeep is $777 per month for a 39 month lease, 15K miles, no cap cost reduction required by us.

The Jeep, at that price does NOT have Sat Radio or Sat Nav.

The X3 with everything but the sport package, but WITH the SAV package for 36 months is $636, same deal otherwise -- don't even have to ask for anything.

If we "countered" on the Jeep, would they drop it to 36 months, add sat radio and nav and let it go for $636 per month? Naaaah.

On the other hand, if we asked for a little better deal on the X3, would THAT be a likely outcome. Probably -- plus they'll let her out of her lease 3 months early.

It is a sinister plot, I tell you.

Not that I, for one, would mind one little bit, upgrading from a somewhat more crude and underpowered 2005 X3 to a hardly at all crude and reasonably powered 2008 X3.

I just wish the X3 had voice command at least for the in car phone system that works, oh so well, even in the 2005 version.

Even the Acadia was more than the Bimmer for pity's sake.

Damn subvented leases -- you would have to be out of your mind to buy one of these things with the lease program soooo "supported."

Er, no offense, if you buy, it is, YOUR money. :surprise:
    You gotta cut back on the caffein, Mark! :P
  • It is a fine wine from Italy, not a coffee from Columbia.

But seriously, we drove the new X3, Bronze, two tone leather, SAV, Winter, Sound, Nav, Premium, Xenon, Parktronic, 6 speed steptronic packages, etc -- it was substantially upgraded in the interior and the power of that 3.0si was at least very adequate.

The VW Toureg with a few packages on it might be a bit better vehicle -- but then again there is that unbeatable BMW customer good will and good service that covers anything and everything.
    "...the power of that 3.0si was at least very adequate."

Just adequate? :cry: I've been hoping that it would be more "vigorous". "Adequate" conjures up images of....RX350, MDX, ....
  • I was toying with saying "ample" -- but the truth of the matter is, I have driven the 3.0 turbo, and the 260HP non-turbo, nice as it is, isn't quite in the same league.

Coupled with the 6 speed auto, the 3.0si's output is "more than adequate."

That's about as far as I can take it -- the fact is, the landscape keeps changing and what was once adequate or ample, loses out as technology marches forward.

The 2005 225HP X3 with the stick shift was "adequate" at the time -- now, not so much. . . . :surprise:
    Manual tranny X3? How many miles on that puppy?

Trading at The BMW Store? That could be my next car.. :)

• All options avail at 5/05, 45K miles at this point.

And yes, BMW store.
    For some of us, an SUV (er, SAV) that can accelerate from 0 to 60mph in 6.7/6.9 seconds, and still get mid-20's highway mileage, might be described as exhilarating. A few years ago this might have been described as "impossible".

For others, these numbers are merely "very adequate". ;)
    Like mark said, he drove a twin turbo BMW before driving the X3, so of course the X3's acceleration seems adequate.

Our X3 is a road rocket compared to my wife's former 2000 Mazda Protege ES with all of its 120 horsepower.

Great letter you wrote in this month's ROUNDEL!

Great letter you wrote in this month's ROUNDEL!

Thanks! That absurd "318ti was a failure" mantra gets tossed around so much that people tend to forget how the car was actually recieved when it was new; that guy's ignorant comments were just the last straw.

behind you roadburner (bottom 16 to top of 17) under the Some Buyers Are Color-Blind. is a letter I wrote to Satch a few months ago! I had no idea it would get published! This is so exciting!