Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac SRX

Comments

• dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Chevy and Cadillac are 2 very different divisions though.
  • pbeerspbeers Member Posts: 26
    My wife and I have test driven a few and really like what we see. Let's hear from some of you out there that have bought one. What do you think?
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    sorry, im not an SRX owner so im not goin to post wut i think..just curious though - wut other SUVs did you consider??
    We are also looking at the Volvo XC90 or the GMC Denali (really need a third row seat). We currently own a GMC Envoy and have been happy with it. Also used to have a Toyota 4Runner; not a bad SUV but don't really like the styling direction that Toyota has gone in.

We like the way the SRX looks (I know, its either love it or hate it), and its a good cross between performance and utility. The ultraview sunroof is great.
    really consider the XC90, it handles great with a pretty good abundance of power and all that safety (well, thats Volvo!!) also, it was Motor Trend's SUV of the Year last year (its first year on the market). the downside is that price haggling is hard to do because of all the sales.

SRX is also good, except for that oddly placed DVD screen and yes, the glass roof is SPECTACULAR!! good interior quality too.

either way you cant go wrong! :)
    Saw my first SRX on the road tonight. A 35-40 year old mom with 2 kids driving. Very nice looks except for the back window which should be lowered IMO.
  • nevadagamenevadagame Member Posts: 9
    I leased it on sept 20th and currently have 3600 miles on it. I own a 2002 Mercedes E430 4matic, and a 2000 Corvette convt, a Chev Tahoe and other quality cars, so its no uninformed opinion when I tell you that the SRX is a great driving car. I value its smooth quiet and percice handling. The magnetic shocks do the job as advertised. Smooth and civilized until needed, drive it hard and it becomes a sports sedan. Its way nicer driving than the BMWX5, and I just like the way it feels. I'm not a Volvo guy, its just a irrational bias I admit, but I do enjoy the 320 HP northstar and how it growls from 5000 to 6500 rpm. Oh, one more thing, It smells the best, get inside of one and smell the leather...its really nice...it hasn't gone away yet.
  • hootch1hootch1 Member Posts: 12
    Just bought a V6 AWD with luxury package, third row seat, DVD and XM radio. I would have liked the V8 but did not think I could afford my wife's speeding tickets.

The decisioon came down to a comparison between the SRX, MDX and XC90. With the same general configuration prices were in the ball park due to available discounts. General thoughts

MDX - roomiest, best seats, most sluggish handling IMO. Design is ok but I seem to 5-10 everyday - not unique.

XC90 - good overall package. The overall drive train needs some work. The second row is smallish due to room behind third row. This is an issue because I have a four month old and there is little room for the turned car seat. Would have to get an installed DVD - uncertain on warranty. Great lines

SRX - best driving experience. I agree with the critiques on the third row and the DVD. These don't impact me as I will use the third row mainly when visiting grandparents for 20-30 minute trips.
  • adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    congrats on the SRX purchazse. Did you get the monster sunroof?

did you get the fancy magneto suspension?
    Just bought a V6 AWD with luxury package, third row seat, DVD and XM radio. I would have liked the V8 but did not think I could afford my wife's speeding tickets.

The decisioon came down to a comparison between the SRX, MDX and XC90. With the same general configuration prices were in the ball park due to available discounts. General thoughts

MDX - roomiest, best seats, most sluggish handling IMO. Design is ok but I seem to 5-10 everyday - not unique.

XC90 - good overall package. The overall drive train needs some work. The second row is smallish due to room behind third row. This is an issue because I have a four month old and there is little room for the turned car seat. Would have to get an installed DVD - uncertain on warranty. Great lines

SRX - best driving experience. I agree with the critiques on the third row and the DVD. These don't impact me as I will use the third row mainly when visiting grandparents for 20-30 minute trips.
    Wife's call on both. The sunroof probably wouldn't get much use for 2-3 years due to the four month old. Probably 90% of my wife's driving involves kids. By that time she'll b looking to get another car. Maybe then. My four year old loves mine.

I really wanted the mrc but we couldn't find one with it without the performance package. Probably would have had to wait until January for delivery and I needed to get her a car. Maybe if we buy one in the future Cadillac will ahve the options game figured out better.
  • buddhabmanbuddhabman Member Posts: 252
    Check out Automobile Magazine Review

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/justdriven/0311_srx/
  • arennarenn Member Posts: 35
    Saw an SRX today, at Lake-Cook and Pfingsten in Deerfield, IL. The first I've seen "in the wild". The Caddy dealer up here (Foley?) has several on the lot.

Personally, I'm turned off by the appearance of this car. I like the CTS, but the SRX just seems plain weird to me. I like the styling on the X5 way better.
    Apparently, there still seems to be a lot full of SRXs here in Dallas. Most people are either driving Escalades, XC90s, Expeditions, Explorers, X5s, or M-Classes. Hopefully, people may buy the SRX here!
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    My wife would like to know what you have to do to change from the "radio" to the CD. She read the manual and there is no directions??? so she says!@!!!
    I've seen 3 on the road so far. They are selling but at a good or not good rate I don't know.

They are a lot more $$ than a CTS.
  • volvodan1volvodan1 Member Posts: 188
    Press "band" to go to radio and press "source" to go back to CD.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    Thanks. Now she feels a little more humble.
  • dmargo2dmargo2 Member Posts: 17
    I have an SRX for a 24 hour test drive..a few questions...I am 6'1"" which is one reason I like the SRX because the kids have room behind me..but the seat belt seemed to cut funny..anyone else experienced that? Also, is there really only one 12Volt adapter in the dash/change area..none others in the front? If you have bought...and had to use in the snow..any comments? thanks dave
    I'm curious about GM's 24Hour test drive. What are the requirements?? Any payments??
  • jhberry4jhberry4 Member Posts: 11
    You can go to GM's website and they have all of the info regarding the 24 hour test drive. They do not lis the SRX as being available, but that could just mean the site has not been updated, I would call my local Caddy dealers. There was no payment necessary when I did mine. I just had to show proof of insurance.
  • dmargo39dmargo39 Member Posts: 1
    just asked the dealer.
    Where did everyone go?
  • rwcliftonrwclifton Member Posts: 19
    I was following another board and it was posted that the SRX (I'm assuming w/the 3rd row) qualifies for the Section 179 tax deduction for the self-employed. Can anyone confirm this?? Cadillac's website only lists the weight of the vehicle not the GWVR. THanks for your help.
    after reading that post. The window sticker showed GWVR as 6008.
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    it should qualify, cause it is over 6000 lbs .

check with your accountant or Taxpayers for Common Sense.....I got a list of vehicles, but it was a 2003 list, so did not include the newer vehicles.
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    and it said the "escalade SRX " qualifies.....don't know if they mean the SRX by Caddy.
    I went by a Cadillac dealer today to look at pricing an SRX, and I looked through a book they had of SRX invoices. Funny thing, I saw a V-8 with AWD built in 9/03 that had a GVW of about 5,870 pounds. The next page had another AWD V-8 with the SAME options built in 12/03 that had a GVW of 6,008 pounds.

How did this vehicle gain 138 lbs? The curb weight for both still appears to be about the same 4,480 lbs. Is it all marketing? I'm sure that being over 6,000 will help sales with the tax benefits.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hmm ... a gallon of gasoline weighs about 6-6.5 pounds - how big is that tank? ;-)

tidester, host
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    In NYC, on a highway, it was black, and in profile it was absolutley amazing. Does anyone know the production/Sales data for the SRX vs. its competitors?
  • rerenov8rrerenov8r Member Posts: 380
    You have to scroll way down under trucks/Cadillac to see the numbers about the SRX --http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.- - emerald.gm.com/gmnews/viewmonthlyreleasedetail.do?domain=6&do- - cid=2215
    here's a pretty good website showing 2004 production totals for vehicles in North America.

http://www.autonews.com/files/prod.pdf

If I remember correctly, Cadillac had produced about 15,000 of the SRX as of 12/31/03, with a planned sales goal of about 25K for the 2004 model year.
    folks on the other forum will tell you that this is only because GM bought all of the ad space. That's why they swept the categories.
  • eaton53eaton53 Member Posts: 356
    Ranked the SRX #1. When has something like that ever happened?

Automobile All-Star, too....
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I have been doing some pricing research recently and have my dealer trying to find me a base SRX and take my Impala trade.
    I am about $2500 upside down on the Impala.
    My dealer is advertising a base V6 for $33,700.
    Retail is $38,690. Invoice is $35,840.
    $1500 conquest cash makes it $34,340.
    My question is where does the other $640 come from?
    I have heard there is 2-3K dealer cash back on SRX's. But I understand these are V8's only.
    Built before 10/15/2003.

How is the dealer able to sell this vehicle for $33,700. It would take all but $300 of his hold back to sell at this price.

There has got to be some incentive from Cadillac that we are not privvy too.

Anybody care to share some light on this?
    Sales have not been great for the SRX.
    1500 sold in January.
    4500 built in the first 38 days of 2004.

I can't help but think that we will be seeing some kind of major rebate on this vehicle very soon.

other than the $1500 conquest.

Spring is just around the corner. There has to be something.

Also the sign and drive lease looks pretty interesting. But I don't want to lease again.
    $459 deal on base V6 seemingly can't be negotiated down any further.
    It includes all applicable rebates
    including the $1500 conquest cash.

So I am going to have to figure another way to get rid of the Impala and Lexus.
  • shainthepainshainthepain Member Posts: 2
    I am interested in buying a Cadillac SRX. I've been haggling the last week with a dealership and finally they are offering Invoice minus the $1500 rebate. Basically $1500 below invoice, is this a good price, can I get better?
  • setzersetzer Member Posts: 127
    my friend has 3 young kids right now, and their sedan will be too small when the kids grow up over the next couple years. they are thinking about buying the SRX with a third row later on this year.

What color do you like better on the SRX, white or black?
    The reason that they are selling it to you for invoice is because they probably have some "instant value certificates".
    Each certificate is worth $500. They can use anywhere from 1 certificate to 4 certificates, depending on the model.
    They have to use the certificates by 2/29.
    I am assuming that your dealer still has some.
    He may have already used them.
    My belief is that there will be some more incentives around March 2nd, but the ones offered now will probably go away.
    Cadillac has built about 22,000 SRX's since they started production last Summer.
    15,404 were built in 2003.
    About 5600 this year.
    1500 sold in January.
    The V8s are not selling very well but the V6s are starting to move finally.
    I think Cadillac priced it to high and they are
    making changes by offering some incentives and by breaking up some of the option bundles that were originally 10K.
    SRX V8s built before 10/15 have 2-3K in dealer cashback.
    Are you buying a V6 or a V8?
    Good story and great pics of the CTS and SRX being built one after the other!

http://www.detnews.com/2004/specialreport/0402/22/a14-70492.htm
  • mbukukanyaumbukukanyau Member Posts: 200
    With Lansing plant being used to build the upcoming STS, the Glut in SRX is a God send for Cadillac. With CTS selling well, they do not need to produce any more SRX's till the market absorbs the ones out there.
    They do not have the capacity at Lansing Plant to produce three models and meet demand. So, its a good thing for them that demand for SRX is low. It allows then to concentrate on the STS for sale in Fall of 04.
    I do not see any rebates coming for the SRX. Lutz was quoted as saying, they want to drive resale value up for Cadillac and prestige so, Rebates with the Marque will disappear. They are also driving to make the Division more exclusive so expect most of their product range to be over or equal in price to MB and BMW with no rebates, and within the next five years, when the CTS is redone, to be priced above the German Marques.
    The SRX $50 K for a V8 is no accident. Cadillac is will not be trying to sell as a value leader.
    Lutz is going for low volume, high price exclusivity with Cadillac. Buick will cover the 'Value Luxury segment'
    When The Escalade is Redone, it will move further away from the Chevy truck line with GMC Denali holding the 'American Luxo truck' theme and Escalade will begin going after Range Rover, Land Rover, And Gwagen.

Hummer is also a good thing for GM. No one automaker has a real answer to it.

That is my basic interpration of Lutz statements over time.
  • rerenov8rrerenov8r Member Posts: 380
    and DETROIT!

While Lutz's vision may make a lot of sense, and the Cadillac "brand manager" is all behind it too, it is up to DEALERS to live by it. If the dealers don't get the kind of sales volumes they need to support their operations they will whine and moan and Detroit will be forced to change the option mix and lower the sticker.

This is not something that is just limited to GM, plenty of Chrysler dealers complained about Pacifica options, and Ford/Lincoln stores have been far from happy with the LS or Aviator.

Personally I think some of the pricing/optioning masks other factors --like maybe there are simply too many "luxury SUVs & crossovers". The auto industry still moves far slower than any other "consumer oriented" business -- look how quickly other "fashion conscious" fields move. From clothing to home furnishing to appliances and even jewelry there will be MULTIPLE 'in' and 'out' trends for the MULTI-YEAR cycles that automakers build vehicles for...
    That Is a very valid observation. Lutz has to be able to make Dealers buy into the divisions aim. They ca make their bread butter in Saturn and let Cadillac move up the prestige market.

If Cadillac can achieve a repositioning for itself, I think, it could in six years become a gravy train for everyone. I think in line with this strategy, GM might move the Deville over to Buick as an ultra and make an S class fighter.
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    Somehow I believe that even if Cadillac has an S-class/7 series competitive vehicle, they will still have a Deville or DTS in the lineup. First, this car is still providing good sales for Cadillac, and can certainly be improved to reflect new Cadillac standards.

Second, Cadillac doesn't want to cede their limousine, funeral coach and livery business which is still profitable and provides some level of prestige in the United States. Since limousine and funeral coach builders have to buy completed Devilles at regular price before going under the saw at the customizer, I doubt they'd want to change from paying $45K for a Deville to $80K for a future large sedan that they were going to chop up anyway.
    What if you sell the same Deville with a Buick grill? I know Le General wants to push Buick to compete with Lexus, Infiniti while Cadillac goes for the Germans.

I think they could put it in either division. Its like Toyota multi strategy, the Lexus ES, and Lexus IS in the same price range with one going after Buick and the other going after BMW.

Buick should put navigation in on the New La Crosse and it would be a better seller than most soft cruisers on the road.